I miss the early 2000´s DVD era...

Discussion of non-Disney DVD and Blu-ray.
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

I miss the early 2000´s DVD era...

Post by DC Fan »

So, I was watching Pirates of the Caribbean 2. And when I opened the DVD it brought many memories from the ads it included.

There were info on Register your DVD, the map that tells you how to navigate the DVDs, the promos, the merchandise on the movie...Those were the days. When people had movie collections, the different versions you could get, the forums to talk about DVDs...

I upgraded to BD myself. I will still buy DVDs when they´re movies I just like. And it´s not the same. Sure, there are different versions of a movie on BD but it´s not the DVD case where you had a single release, Collector´s Edition, Ultimate Edition (sure, in many cases it was just a label but in others don´t as there were actually different features depending on the version).

For the most part I buy my BDs and DVDs used from dedicated stores. And while I love finding great deals...on the other hand it´s sad to see that people are just getting rid of their movies.

I know movies take up space and now you can find almost anything online but on the other hand the quality will never be the same in domestic format and a way to get around the space issue would be to just buy what you want.

For instance, in the DVD era (and while I don´t mind having a huge collection) I bought many movies I didn´t care that much for. Had I known better (now) I would do what I´m doing: just getting what I really want.

In any case. Leave your thoughts.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: I miss the early 2000´s DVD era...

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I hear ya. Even back in the day, used DVDs were so cheap, people could just buy any movie they liked. I ended up selling a huge chunk of my movies I never watch and ones with better Blu-ray versions so I could buy Blu-ray of my favorites.
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

If it's anything, DVDs from that era are still in print, which is something to actually to be happy about.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

^ Unless you're a Disney animation fan, with some exceptions (Make Mine Music, Melody Time)...