DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:28 pm 
Limited Edition

I would kill for Anastasia, Land Before Time, Secret of NIMH, An American Tale etc.... yet I don't believe a single of his classic animated movies has ever received the high def treatment. There is a goldmine waiting to be drilled. Thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:53 am 
Limited Edition

Well, The Secret of NIMH was supposed to have a Blu-Ray release a while back but the whole MGM bankruptcy/restructuring thing has put all home video releases on hold (this includes the other MGM/UA co-productions All Dogs Go to Heaven, Rock-a-Doodle and The Pebble and the Penguin). Universal owns An American Tail and The Land Before Time but I assume it's up to Spielberg as to when they're released (since Amblin Entertainment is involved and Spielberg is notorious for the amount of control he has over his productions). 20th Century Fox owns distribution rights to Thumbelina and A Troll in Central Park but I have a feeling all parties involved just want to forget they ever happened. Now as to why 20th Century Fox hasn't released Anastasia and Titan A.E., two popular all-digital productions that they own complete rights to (considering they were the only two productions out of FOX Animation Studios), I just don't know (just like I don' understand why Warner won't release The Iron Giant, which has a huge following, and was one of the only productions out of Warner Animation Studios).

From the looks of things, the only thing he really has control over is Banjo the Woodpile Cat. It's a shame but it seems a lot of studios are waiting for something (I mean, DreamWorks hasn't released even one of their hand drawn efforts on Blu yet).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:09 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Because the other people who control the various Bluth films suck?

No, but seriously, I think we are seeing the negative side to Don Bluth going off to so many different studios and not keeping the rights to just one studio, or even writing into his contract that he has full ownership over all of them like Jim Davis does with Garfield. It's too bad, even the DVD's of these film could and should be better then they are. Maybe in time this will change!

All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:04 pm 
Limited Edition

Why we haven't yet seen "Anastasia" on Blu is baffling to me, at least, because there seems to have been quite a few DVD releases/re-packages in the last few years.

My DVD Collection :
http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:10 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

The Secret of NIMH and Anastasia are probably the only ones I'd consider upgrading on, but I really wonder if they'd bother restoring NIMH that extensively when the DVD is available in the $5 bins. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:00 pm 
Collector's Edition

jpanimation

I fully agree with your statement posted above :D

I'd like to see them release The land Before Time, Rock a Doodle or Fievel goes West

Also what to think of those seperate independent non-bluth productions

such as...

Animal Farm

Watership Down, ....gastly german bluray :cry:

The Plague Dogs

We're back a Dinosaur story

Ferngully

El cid The Legend

The Magic Sword: Quest for Camelot

Cat's dont Dance

Kirikou

I'd love to see these pictures get the right a.k.a definitve treatment :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:29 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

REINIER wrote:
jpanimation

I fully agree with your statement posted above :D

I'd like to see them release The land Before Time, Rock a Doodle or Fievel goes West

Also what to think of those seperate independent non-bluth productions

such as...

Animal Farm

Watership Down, ....gastly german bluray :cry:

The Plague Dogs

We're back a Dinosaur story

Ferngully

El cid The Legend

The Magic Sword: Quest for Camelot

Cat's dont Dance

Kirikou

I think realistically, these films are lucky to be on DVD. Once DVD has stopped being made, or at the very end of Blu Ray's life, maybe these films could end up on Blu Ray. But, the way the powers that be think, they put up the films they feel will sell tons and tons of copy's first as they only release movies to make money first and foremost.

That said, even I would not own all of the films you listed, I would love to see them in their best possible versions released over and over again on whatever the new "it" home entertainment medium is. But, I'd also love to see even more titles that have never been released on anything ever. I'd rather see "Ducktales, Vol. 4" or "Animaniacs, Vol. 4" on DVD more then I care to see "Furngully" on Blu Ray.

All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:25 pm 
Collector's Edition

milojthatch wrote:
REINIER wrote:
jpanimation

I think realistically, these films are lucky to be on DVD. Once DVD has stopped being made, or at the very end of Blu Ray's life, maybe these films could end up on Blu Ray. But, the way the powers that be think, they put up the films they feel will sell tons and tons of copy's first as they only release movies to make money first and foremost.

That said, even I would not own all of the films you listed, I would love to see them in their best possible versions released over and over again on whatever the new "it" home entertainment medium is. But, I'd also love to see even more titles that have never been released on anything ever. I'd rather see "Ducktales, Vol. 4" or "Animaniacs, Vol. 4" on DVD more then I care to see "Furngully" on Blu Ray.

I see your point
and more so I know you're right, but still I'd like to own these on blue in the distant future :)

I too would like my hands on more animaniacs/ducktales/gargoyles or
even gummi bears..

As far as logic goes though I wonder why, if only for pure financial gain disney has yet to release sure cash cows like
disney's aladdin/little mermaid/lion king tv series

Now those are sure to generate enough money to consider producing more tv-material on dvd/blue :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:08 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

If any of these non Disney films get a Blu-ray, they should give better bonus features. One thing about the dvd ones is that they all suck in extras and bonus features. Like we hardly know anything behind production, deleted scenes/songs and shit. I really want to know some of them like Swan Princess etc.

At least Disney has balls to do that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:29 pm 
Limited Edition

Anastasia is coming out March 22nd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:04 am 
Platinum Edition

jrboy wrote:
Anastasia is coming out March 22nd.

Hopefully, it will come as a combo pack and with new special features.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:06 am 
Platinum Edition

Cover Art??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:49 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Wow, I'd rather have the anorexic looking Anastasia original print of the current release... I'm not sure what looks worse to me the teal and pink title, or the character's glossy look.

Anyhow, out of all the Don Bluth films the ones I care the most about are Anastasia, The Land Before Time, and An American Tale. All three of these films were very popular upon release and I cannot see why any studio wouldn't see a blu release worthwhile.

Since it was kinda mentioned earlier, Dreamworks really NEEDS to release The Prince of Egypt to blu!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:17 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Is it really that hard to creat a decent "Anastasia" cover in the 21st century?!?

Of course, I'm not sure that's a new cover. It resembles the old "Family Fun Edition" one so much, I'd half expect it to be an older mock-up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:16 pm 
Limited Edition

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:52 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Maybe it will change...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:37 am 
Limited Edition

The Secret of NIMH is out in Germany on April 1st along with Anastasia (no I'm not making an early April Fools Joke)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:57 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Blu-Ray cover wrote:
From the directors of Thumbelina

Way to sell a movie. :up:

Blog | Deviantart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:08 pm 
Collector's Edition

Not sure if this was already known or not, since there is a possible Blu-ray cover, but Fox has confirmed a Blu-ray release of Anastasia on March 22, 2011: http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5780

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:15 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Wonderlicious wrote:
Blu-Ray cover wrote:
From the directors of Thumbelina

Way to sell a movie. :up:

I was thinking the same thing. :lol: And that cover . . . ouch. But at least it's coming soon?

And since Ferngully was brought up earlier in this thread (yes, I realize it's not Don Bluth :p), I'd really love to see that one released to Blu as well.