The case for Physical Media

Discussion of non-Disney DVD and Blu-ray.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

The case for Physical Media

Post by milojthatch »

Recently in The Atlantic, the following article was published on physical media verse digital media.I'll share the first few paragraphs below and the link, but I highly suggest everyone here who is interested on the subject read the entire article.
When you purchase a movie from Amazon Instant Video, you’re not buying it, exactly. It’s more like renting indefinitely.

This distinction matters if your notion of “buying” is that you pay for something once and then you get to keep that thing for as long as you want. Increasingly, in the world of digital goods, a purchasing transaction isn’t that simple.

There are two key differences between buying media in a physical format versus a digital one. First, there’s the technical aspect: Maintaining long-term access to a file requires a hard copy of it—that means, for example, downloading a film, not just streaming from a third party’s server. The second distinction is a bit more complicated, and it has to do with how the law has shaped digital rights in the past 15 years. It helps to think about the experience of a person giving up CDs and using iTunes for music purchases instead.
http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/ ... es/409387/
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: The case for Physical Media

Post by blackcauldron85 »

While I download music (I'll buy the album for my favorite artists), I like to have back-ups of my back-ups of my back-ups...I just would hate to lose all of that downloaded (and paid-for) content; I have never downloaded a movie...I still buy the physical copies. I have a decent-sized collection on my Disney Movies Anywhere account (I've never downloaded any of them yet, but it's nice to know if I ever go anywhere, I could watch them).

What happens if you have all of your music/books/movies just electronically and then, *poof*, technical difficulties, they're all gone?!
REINIER
Anniversary Edition

Post by REINIER »

Valid point indeed! I myself prefer the physical item if purely for the sheer joy of unwrapping those often beautifull packagings. That being said I detest digital purchases altogether since you pay the same if not more without the ensurance that your purchases will still be available in the near future because of either an expiration date or a failed digital format in the long run
When it comes to brains, I got the lion-share,
but when it comes to bruth strength, I'm afraid I'm at the shallow end of the gene pool
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

This is my philosophy; having your favorite movie or TV show on a physical format, knowing it's there ready for you to watch whenever you want is comforting and a joy.

I love and will take physical media any time and any day over digital. Now yes, I do streaming, but it will NEVER ever replace physical media. Not by a long shot.
blackcauldron85

Viral Tweet Claims Warner Bros. To Phase Out DVD and Blu-ray Beginning in 2022
https://comicbook.com/movies/amp/news/w ... s-in-2022/
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I knew this would all start happening eventually. I'd like to think they still will make Blu-rays / DVDs available in some niche online somewhere though? :( :( To me, it's just such crap to do away with physical media altogether even if they want to make digital the focus.

A few weeks ago, I went to a Walmart I don't usually go to and they didn't have a single CD in the whole store. :o But they had a whole aisle of vinyl records? Like, is the universe on crack these days? :lol: Nothing makes any sense.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Jerry Beck wrote:"Wow – I blew up the internet! It looks like a little response I made to a cartoon fan wondering if Daffy or Tweety’s anniversary would be celebrated on DVD or blu-ray has blown up and gone viral.
First of all: anyone claiming that Warner Bros. is planning to phase out DVD and Blu-ray beginning in 2022 has taken my words and blown them way way out of context.
Secondly, I do not work for Warner Bros. - I occasionally work freelance as a writer or consultant to their home video group. I know nothing about the inner workings of that department. A few days ago I was asked a few questions by anxious fans worried about the future of physical media – and unfortunately, from my point of view, I didn’t have anything new to report.
Warner’s IS restoring their classic cartoons for HBO-Max (and to air on MeTV) and its obvious that the streaming service is where the Warner cartoon library will live on for the time being. But, I repeat, I do not know anything about what’s going on concerning their Home Video department.
I do know that DVDs and blu-rays will continue to be produced, and that department still exists. All we can do is hope that they will continue to release their cartoon shorts on physical media. That’s all I know – that’s all I can say about this matter."
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1613467 ... /?sfnsn=mo
sunhuntin
Special Edition

Post by sunhuntin »

as of last year, one of the main suppliers in new zealand of cd's, dvds and vinyl records stopped selling them entirely. they still sell console games, but even that may change before long. now, if i wish to buy a dvd in person, my nearest store is 3 hours south.
big kid at heart
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh no, that's really terrible, sunhuntin! Unless you can order online?
sunhuntin
Special Edition

Post by sunhuntin »

yes, we can order online, but only from a select few stockists. the one that recently stopped selling used to get some really random titles at times, and not every store would get the same ones. one of the last i found was the complete series of "on the buses", something that would not really appear elsewhere at an affordable price.
big kid at heart
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, I am sorry it's so few and random sunhuntin! You can't get all you want from Amazon?
blackcauldron85

(It's about music, not movies, but still...)

Why Music Retail Is Having a Blue Christmas

By Ed Christman
Growth in streaming activity for holiday music may be cannibalizing album sales — leading some to question whether labels will begin paring back their physical offerings.

music merchandisers say the complexion of physical sales has changed, with more titles coming out in the expensive vinyl format while budget-priced CDs’ role in driving holiday sales has faced diminished floor space in discount department stores. So while merchants are realizing more revenue-per-copy thanks to vinyl’s popularity, they’re also seeing a drop in CD unit sales because of a squeeze on budget floor space.
as more holiday albums come out on vinyl, “now that a lot of holiday music has a higher price point, it is no longer as much of an impulse item,”
Still, unless holiday season album sales rebound, the major labels might begin to pare back their offering...“This may be the year we look at our Christmas title range and see what’s worth keeping in physical print,”
I only bought one Christmas album this year, Backstreet Boys, and I bought the digital version. I usually buy way more Christmas albums than just one...there are others I want (Alicia Keys, newest Pentatonix) but don't want to spend the $ this year. And as much as I love physical media- I still buy Blu-rays and physical books- I find myself more and more buying digital albums. I do download music way more than I stream it, though- I use the YouTube Music app when I'm in the shower and use YouTube to play music when I'm doing chores sometimes, but I pretty much always stream music I already bought.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I do buy a lot of digital music, but usually it's for things that have no physical release or a case where I don't really like someone enough for a whole album only one song.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"