New Blu-ray/DVD Thread XVIII - Spending, We Wrote

Discussion of non-Disney DVD and Blu-ray.
The Little Merboy
Special Edition

Re: New Blu-ray/DVD Thread XVIII - Spending, We Wrote

Post by The Little Merboy »

Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Downton Abbey: Final Season Blu-ray $24.99

Laika Three-Film Collection: Coraline, ParaNorman, and The Boxtrolls Blu-ray $22.99

Bump in the Night: Complete Series - $8.99

I hated to spend 10 extra dollars for the Blu-ray of the Laika films (thankfully, Downton was priced the same for the Blu-ray as the DVD when I bought it), but I just thought it would be especially worth it with stop-motion films. Besides, I didn't have any of them and I rationalized that if I bought the Blu-ray, I would never need to buy them again.... :lol:
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney's Divinity

Sherlock Series 4 Blu-Ray
Maurice Blu-Ray
Jitters DVD
Deadpool Blu-Ray
Stardust Blu-Ray
Masterpiece Classic: Great Expectations Blu-Ray
Gurgi30
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Gurgi30 »

I recently picked up the following:
Bambi BR - new release with Oswald short - entirely for the Oswald short
Brother Bear 1 & 2 BR
Cars 3 BR
Descendents 2 DVD
Lion King BR
Lion King 1 1/2 BR
Lion King 2 BR
Nightmare Before Christmas BR
Rugrats the Movie/Rugrats Go Wild DVD
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

This thread died alongside physical media.

Well, I still like to buy physical media and took advantage of today’s 24 hour Criterion flash sale: I picked up All About My Mother, Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down, and It Happened One Night. Very excited to continue my exploration of Almodóvar with the first two titles. As for It Happened One Night, I only saw it once during a Classic Film elective I took in high school but I fell in love with it and thought now was a good excuse to reacquaint ourselves.

It was a Sophie’s Choice between the Criterion sale or picking up Frozen II and a few other Disney titles, but I figure if I wait a month of two I can get a really good deal through the Disney Movie Club and pick up a bunch of new titles at once.

Q: Do you think Disney’s long-standing tiff with Amazon over movie pre-orders was a bid to further the demise of physical media on Disney’s end? Starting with Enchanted in 2008, I used to regularly pre-order my Disney movies through Amazon until I couldn’t with Moana in 2017. I think you can still preorder through Target, Best Buy, Walmart and other retailers but Amazon is and was the the king of online shopping and usually slashed the price a few dollars before release day. Now woe is me if I expect to pre-order a Disney movie on 4K for less than $30.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

How did Disney's feud or whatever with Amazon begin? Just Disney refused pre-orders and that's that?

I still buy physical movies, and CDs sometimes, but nothing special enough to post here, I guess...
Disney's Divinity

I'm too broke to buy lots of movies / TV series right now. Maybe in the future. Most of my luxury purchases are pops and CDs / digital music. I'd die without music to keep me going. :P I think the last Blu-rays I've bought were season 14 of Supernatural and the Fantastic Beasts sequel for $9.99 and $6 respectively.

Is this feud the reason Amazon doesn't have Frozen II available on there yet? I've been checking the past week or two, hoping I might be able to get the film cheaper if I pre-ordered, but no chance of that. I'll probably end up having to wait a while before I buy it; I'm not paying over $15+ for a Blu-ray of one film. I only spend that much on TV series where there are 6+ hours of content. The only other films I'm keeping my eye on right now for the right price are Missing Link, the Downton Abbey movie, and Spider-Man: Far From Home. $10 or lower is usually the right price for me. :wink:
blackcauldron85

You have self-control! There aren't as many movies I buy compared to back in the day, since I really just buy new releases now, but I'll pay full-price for Frozen II...I'll buy it somewhere in the next few days; I don't think there's anything else Disney Movie Club has that I need...I never got A Goofy Movie or AEGM on Blu, but I don't know if I will, even though I love AGM...

*edit* I don't think you get discounts when you pre-order; I will need to get the newest Star Wars, but I'll have to wait a while if I want to save $ and I want Frozen II now...
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I don’t think anybody actually knows what’s going on with Disney and Amazon— just that for the past three years Amazon never gets Disney pre-orders and they appear to get a very limited amount of stock when the movie hits the home video market.

Movie collecting is definitely my chosen luxury. It’s a baked in habit— I’ve been “collecting” movies since I was six! I’m not sure I can handle a day when the only companies releasing physical media are boutiques labels and the possibility that some major titles don’t have a life beyond streaming. That would drive me crazy!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

blackcauldron85 wrote:How did Disney's feud or whatever with Amazon begin? Just Disney refused pre-orders and that's that?
Reportedly, Amazon wanted a bigger cut of the revenue from the sales, Disney said no, and in retaliation Amazon stopped offering pre-orders for all Disney titles and limited the amount of stock they carry on some titles while not carrying others at all.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I don't think they are feuding anymore. I remember two years ago Amazon had a tendency to not have pre orders on Disney titles and most of the Disney titles were exclusive to prime members only. That's not the case anymore as far as I know. I don't have any problems pre ordering Disney titles and I don't see any of them as exclusives to Amazon Prime.
Frozen II was available for pre order and it probably went out of stock, it happens sometimes.
blackcauldron85

Thanks for educating me!! I don't buy too much on Amazon...do you think a lot of people just pre-ordered on Amazon, or didn't pre-order at all + waited until Amazon had the movies in stock?
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I pre ordered the film on Amazon, I think a few days later it said it's unavailable so I guess it went out of stock. I mean it's not impossible, Frozen is a popular franchise and it's a new release so I guess a lot of people pre ordered.
blackcauldron85

blackcauldron85 wrote: ...do you think a lot of people just pre-ordered on Amazon, or didn't pre-order at all + waited until Amazon had the movies in stock?
I meant pre-ordered elsewhere, since the whole point was that pre-order wasn't on Amazon!

So your pre-order stuck, they didn't say oops we're out of stock and need to cancel your pre-order?
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

No. My pre order (which is now an order I'm supposed to get next week) was fine. I meant on the Amazon page it didn't have it available anymore so I assumed they didn't have anymore in stock.
blackcauldron85

^ I gotcha. Thank you for clarifying!
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Hmm... that’s interesting. If you look up, for example “Rise of Skywalker 4K” on Amazon, you will find a page that says “Currently Unavailable.” (https://www.amazon.com/STAR-WARS-RISE-S ... 711&sr=8-4 ) Perhaps a very small batch is made available to pre-order, first come first serve?

Does it usually take very long to receive your orders? In the past when I’ve pre-ordered things from Amazon, even with standard shipping I could always expect it to arrive on release date. I’d be very frustrated if I didn’t get it when I expected to!
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

UmbrellaFish wrote:Hmm... that’s interesting. If you look up, for example “Rise of Skywalker 4K” on Amazon, you will find a page that says “Currently Unavailable.” (https://www.amazon.com/STAR-WARS-RISE-S ... 711&sr=8-4 ) Perhaps a very small batch is made available to pre-order, first come first serve?

Does it usually take very long to receive your orders? In the past when I’ve pre-ordered things from Amazon, even with standard shipping I could always expect it to arrive on release date. I’d be very frustrated if I didn’t get it when I expected to!
Shipping to my country usually takes a week or two but no longer.
Disney's Divinity

I've just re-done my DMC membership and finally got a lot of Disney films on the Blu-ray format I'd been meaning to pick up copies of for ages: The Lion King, Cinderella, Lady and the Tramp, Aladdin, Sleeping Beauty, Zootopia, and Peter Pan. Aside from Zootopia, I had DVD copies of all those others, but I wanted to get a Blu-ray release of all these films before Disney eventually goes digital-only. The two films I need to get full-price will probably be Hercules and one of the Weekenders volumes. 9 items, most of which are Disney's highest-priced big titles, for around $7 each (when you divide the ultimate amount I'll have to spend nine ways) is a really great deal, imo, so I thought now or never. :lol: Especially considering things like Cinderella, TLK, Aladdin, etc. would normally be priced around $25 and I would never consider blowing that much on one movie I already have a copy of. And I've got most of the big titles (just waiting on the Fantasia's now), the few holes I have left are less beloved films that would be easier to get cheap on Amazon or something.

Now I can finally let my mom watch Zootopia. She's never seen it. I recently let her borrow my copy of The Emperor's New Groove and she didn't even remember that film at all..
blackcauldron85

Yay to bonus features!! (for newer movies like Zootopia, anyhoo!)

Are there any downsides to restarting your DMC membership?