ReBoot: The Definitive Mainframe Edition

Discussion of non-Disney DVD and Blu-ray.
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

ReBoot: The Definitive Mainframe Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

The cul classic CGI series Reboot is returning to DVD in a complete series box set! Tvshowsondvd.com has the report and press release:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/ReBoot ... ries/14499
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Woah! :o No more outrageously-priced second-hand copies to rely on anymore! :D
slave2moonlight
Diamond Edition

Post by slave2moonlight »

That's one show I never got into, ha, but I remember it.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

My wife is excited!
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
REINIER
Anniversary Edition

Post by REINIER »

I do wonder if upon rewatching this rather dated show it will still hold up ?
I loved it upon first look, but I could see myself getting tired after 3 episodes due to somewhat outdated animation...
When it comes to brains, I got the lion-share,
but when it comes to bruth strength, I'm afraid I'm at the shallow end of the gene pool
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

OMG! I'm completely out of touch. I'm so happy about this. There are episodes from the first 2 seasons I haven't seen in years (though I had the last 2 taped). It's been way too long!
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Heads up! Shout! is doing a ReBoot Fan Art contest!:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/ReBoot ... nest/14563

But there's more, I got an e-mail from Shout! saying that ReBoot Seasons 1 and 2 will be released in Spring 2011!
blackcauldron85

Re: ReBoot: The Definitive Mainframe Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

*bumpity*

I'm reading a lot on the Lost Media Wiki...I hadn't realized that ReBoot came out before Toy Story. I remember the show as a kid but I didn't watch it too much.

https://lostmediawiki.com/ReBoot_(parti ... 1990-1994)

So I guess that's why Toy Story is touted as being the first CGI movie, not non-short...
Disney's Divinity

I'm glad it has a little footnote in history over PIXAR. :lol: Sometimes it feels like such a forgotten gem. I had hope for years that a fifth season of this show might come about despite how much time went by, just because the fourth season came so long after the first three itself. I've read that the fourth season was originally supposed to be around 16-24 episodes instead of just eight and God I wish that had happened. The 3rd and 4th seasons are so good, imo; well, really I'd say everything from "Painted Windows" onwards. Despite the limitations of 3D, I always thought this show was bearable, with some great designs.

I liked most of the characters on this show, but Hexadecimal was probably the reason I've remained as big a fan through time as I have. The voice acting is so fantastic for her (as well as the rest of the show); I've never heard Shirley Milner in anything else unfortunately. I think the fact that they didn't have to animate her face allowed them to do more with her than they would have been able to otherwise. It's too bad Milner didn't end up with a Disney role like Tony Jay did, but I guess we can blame that on the dearth of older female characters in Disney films. I still find it hard to believe that Ursula is the only female villain of the Renaissance. I just think it's a shame we don't get diva villains anymore. :/
blackcauldron85

The only thing I really remember about the show is the blue people, since I really didn't watch it often. I just watched a clip of Hexadecimal on YouTube...based on the Google Images, I'm thinking that she's supposed to be wearing a mask, & that's why her mouth doesn't move except when she maniacally laughs? (But why can her mouth move to laugh but not speak? I'm confused.)?
Disney's Divinity

Oh, no, her mouth never moves in the first three seasons. She had masks for every emotion. I always thought it was creative because they looked like those things you would see in a theater representing tragedy and comedy. The only thing that would ever change is the eye color (green, blue, red, once in a while yellow). She gets blown up at one point and her mask is cracked, which makes her more unhinged. An aspect I liked about the show is that they had the main character treat it seriously like she has a mental illness rather than a joke. At the end of the third season, he fixes her mask so she has a real face that can move. She's less insane after that because she can experience her emotions properly (and other reasons). She actually goes through four different transformations on the show. Her initial look is sort of ungainly, and just came across a little too cumbersome for 3D's capabilities back then to me. The third season she's in leather and her mask is cracked, that's from after she got blown up and was a prisoner for a while. Later she's changed from a virus to one of the regular characters and wears white/gold all over. My favorite is her final outfit because it combines aspects of all the others into the details. I believe the creators have said her design is supposed to be Wicked Witch-esque. The white/gold outfit when she turns good definitely has a Glinda the Good Witch vibe. :P

Seasons 1-2
Season 3
Real Face
Season 4 as a Sprite
The Final Outfit

I always loved the character because she starts off as sort of a side villain, but ends up becoming the biggest hero on this show. She ends up dying in the last season to save everyone else from a Cron virus. I always thought there were a few hints she might have survived, unfortunately the show never continued. She has a lot of flirtations with the main character. They were always treated as comedy on the show (older woman flirts with young man), but I always kind of liked the idea of the two characters together. He's pretty much the reason she changes throughout the show and she rescued him all the time. I thought it was cute. Another thing I liked was that she was always the most powerful character on the show. She and Tony Jay's character are two halves of one Supervirus that was broken apart; she got all the powers and he got the brains (they have a chaos v. order dynamic). At one point, the hero accidentally removes her mask and learns the mask is the only thing holding the power within, and without it being reattached she'd blow up and take the whole system with her. Her extreme power is part of the reason she's insane along with the masks fragmenting her emotions. So she really could have killed everyone at any time if she wanted to, she just enjoyed playing with them.. :lol:
blackcauldron85

^ Whoa. Thanks for all the details! So, technically, she could have become "good" earlier on if only her mask was fixed/she had treatment for her mental health issues?! I like the sprite designs!
Disney's Divinity

Oh, yeah. There's this continuing part of the story where the main character is trying to save the viruses in some way instead of simply deleting them. It's sort of related as a nature v. nurture thing concerning their written-in functions as viruses, because they have no control over what they are. Whereas she improves over the course of the show, Tony Jay's character becomes worse (eventually upgrading to a Trojan virus later on).

The funny thing is the show doesn't always replicate real computer details very well. :lol: I think in the real world, "hexadecimal" is actually the name for a color system or something?
blackcauldron85

^It's some kind of computer term dealing with colors/numbers, maybe, because in Google Images, I had to include the word "ReBoot" because I was getting images with colorful numbers.
Disney's Divinity

:lol: Yeah, I often have that problem sorting through unrelated images for this property. Even when I type in ReBoot, it brings up so many unrelated things considering how commonly that word is used.

There used to be many fan forums for the show that I would have linked to for images, but most of the ones I frequented are dust in the wind now. :/ I know the website Hex Nuts Unanimous still has its screencaps up. I've been saving a lot of things to flash drives, because I've lost everything several times when various computers end up dying and now a lot of the old clipart / wallpapers are becoming difficult to find in high quality.
blackcauldron85

^ If only we had the hindsight back in the day to save all that stuff as it was initially posted, huh?! I've been doing a similar project on-and-off for the past 15 or so years, but for Disney animation, and it's so daunting.