Pom Poko / My Neighbors The Yamadas - DVDs Press Release

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Little Red Henski
Special Edition

Post by Little Red Henski »

Disney will be unleashing a new promotional campaign it seems for the summer starting in June called "Miyazaki Summer" that will promote the original wave of titles such as Kiki's Delivery Service, Castle in the Sky, Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away.
http://animeondvd.com/

:shock: I can’t believe they are finally going to promote the Ghibli films. This summer is the “Summer of Miyazaki”. Is it to much to hope for a Studio Ghibli happy meal? :P
boss
In The Vaults

Post by boss »

jafar wrote:i'm in for another shock with this announcement. what the hell are they doing with "totoro"? :(
Hi jafar, I have asked this same question in another thread... :)

http://www.ultimatedisney.com/forum/vie ... php?t=8855
Pukahontas
Limited Issue

Post by Pukahontas »

Sounds like "Pokemon." Awesome!
orestes.
Anniversary Edition

Post by orestes. »

Pukahontas wrote:Sounds like "Pokemon." Awesome!
Oh I'm sure they can blow Pokemon away. :)

I can't wait for these. I'm sure I'll love them so they'll be blind buys for me. :D
<a href="http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=orestes" target="_blank">my wonderful dvds.</a>
Prince Eric
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Eric »

I would really like to get both of these days! :) My Neighbors Yamadas, especially, because it seems like a really artsy animated films I would like. Well, if anyone has read the latest Nausicca.net interview, My Neighbor Totoro is caught up in legal trouble because of the Fox release already on the market. I figured that would cause trouble long ago... :roll: Too bad Only Yesterday is not planned for release. That's a bummer. From what I've read, I think I would really enjoy I Can Hear The Ocean Waves, but I don't think that's coming either. The last release wave next February will include My Neighbor Totoro, Howl's Moving Castle, and Whisper of the Heart. Add the Central Park Media release of Grave of the Fireflies, and I think that will be all we will see of the Studio Ghibli films in America. Disney could re-release Princess Monoke in a 2-Disc set and try to fill iln this release wave, or make another. What do you guys think are the odds of that?
The Top 10 Films of 2005:
1) Brokeback Mountain 2) The Squid and the Whale 3) Me And You And Everyone We Know 4) The New World 5) A History of Violence 6) Match Point 7) Munich 8.) Crash 9) Wallace and Gromit 10) Pride & Prejudice
orestes.
Anniversary Edition

Post by orestes. »

I'm sure they will release 'Only Yesterday' since they accquired the rights for it unless they now are reconsidering it and just on it. It's odd they haven't even dubbed it yet! If they are worried aobut the subject matter release it under Touchstone or Miramax. I still think Disney should open up a line of more teen/adult animation under a banner aside from 'Disney' much like Dreamworks and Go Fish.
Disney may not have the rights to release 'Ocean Waves' though. I'm hoping someone will pick it up if they haevn't. I'm disappointed they never picked up the musical 'On Your Mark'. It's a short they should have bundled with 'Whisper of the Heart'.

Yeah poor Totoro is still having legal troubles. If I see the Fox version I will buy it though just because I would like to have that dub, which will be really rare later on.
<a href="http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=orestes" target="_blank">my wonderful dvds.</a>
orestes.
Anniversary Edition

Post by orestes. »

Kenai wrote:Man, why the Yamadas? I haven't seen this but it looks kind of dumb. I'm not digging the sketchy looks of the characters.

I would've prefered Totoro in place of this.

I'm still hoping Howl's comes on DVD soon after it's run in US theaters. I wanna own this, looks great! :D
Don't limit yourself to just the 'Disney' style of animation. There are so many great movies or animated shorts out there that have a more unconventional style. Well atleast try it. Who knows. :)
orestes.
Anniversary Edition

Post by orestes. »

About the testicles. The following is from http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/interv ... view2.html.

Q: Since Pom Poko involves jokes about the tanuki's testicles, how is that being handled in the English dub and will that affect how Disney markets it?

A: Actually, their initial reaction was that they were not going to release it. So we looked up "scrotum" in the dictionary. (It's the scrotum, not the testicles that the raccoons are stretching.) The definition is, "the external pouch that contains the testes." So we suggested using the word "pouch," and both Disney and Studio Ghibli agreed to it.
Little Red Henski
Special Edition

I think Disney should do something special as a way of apologizing for the Totoro region1 release delays. They could give us the same picture frame that the Koreans got with their Totoro release. I can imagine Boss salivating at the sight of that frame. :lol:
Last edited by Little Red Henski on Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prince Eric
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Eric »

orestes. wrote:I'm sure they will release 'Only Yesterday' since they accquired the rights for it unless they now are reconsidering it and just on it. It's odd they haven't even dubbed it yet! If they are worried aobut the subject matter release it under Touchstone or Miramax. I still think Disney should open up a line of more teen/adult animation under a banner aside from 'Disney' much like Dreamworks and Go Fish.
Disney may not have the rights to release 'Ocean Waves' though. I'm hoping someone will pick it up if they haevn't. I'm disappointed they never picked up the musical 'On Your Mark'. It's a short they should have bundled with 'Whisper of the Heart'.

Yeah poor Totoro is still having legal troubles. If I see the Fox version I will buy it though just because I would like to have that dub, which will be really rare later on.
During the revised negotions, the Toksuma deal now includes the rights to I Can Hear The Ocean Waves. :wink:
1) Brokeback Mountain 2) The Squid and the Whale 3) Me And You And Everyone We Know 4) The New World 5) A History of Violence 6) Match Point 7) Munich 8.) Crash 9) Wallace and Gromit 10) Pride & Prejudice
Little Red Henski
Special Edition

Thanks for posting the Region1 Pom Poko & Yamadas covers Luke.

Image Image

Original Japanese covers.

Image Image Image

The Green Yamada cover is the old Japanese cover. I wonder if the region 1 Yamada DVD is going to come with a comic book like the japanese version.
orestes.
Anniversary Edition

Post by orestes. »

I like the art. I'm still really looking forward to these.
MickeyMousePal
Signature Collection

Post by MickeyMousePal »

Okay I also like the art covers... :D
The Simpsons Season 11 Buy it Now!

Fox Sunday lineup:

8:00 The Simpsons
8:30 King of the Hill
9:00 Family Guy
9:30 American Dad

Living in the 1980's:
PublicEnemy#1
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PublicEnemy#1 »

Pukahontas wrote:Sounds like "Pokemon." Awesome!
Um... yuck? :P

I wish they would release My Neighbor Totoro already... *sigh*
Little Red Henski
Special Edition

Yeah, Disney did a real good jobs on the covers this time. I can't complain about the covers this time. :P
Prince Eric
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Eric »

The covers are awesome! They match the second waver perfectly! I wonder if they will modify the cover art for the first wave? :D
orestes.
Anniversary Edition

Post by orestes. »

Prince Eric wrote:The covers are awesome! They match the second waver perfectly! I wonder if they will modify the cover art for the first wave? :D
I hope not. :) Those are my favourite covers.

I wasn't too impressed with wave two. I liked 'Nausicaa' but I felt the other two were lacking. These covers for wave three and good which means theya re better than the last wave.
Mr. Toad
Diamond Edition

Post by Mr. Toad »

Eric - Where does it say that Febuary is the last wave? The way I read it, the article is non-committle about the rest of the movies coming. It really provides no clue about a release either than they have not started working on them yet.
Prince Eric
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Eric »

Mr. Toad wrote:Eric - Where does it say that Febuary is the last wave? The way I read it, the article is non-committle about the rest of the movies coming. It really provides no clue about a release either than they have not started working on them yet.
I don't know, I just read somewhere that said refered to the February releases as "the last wave." It wasn't in that article, somewhere else. :? If there will be another "wave", it'd be pretty small. The only one left is Only Yesterday. There's also the TV movie I Can Hear The Ocean Waves. Like I suggested, the could finally give Princess Monoke a 2-Disc release and have those three titles be the final wave, movies with mature themes.

I was also drawing conclusions that it would takes a long time to get out these dubs/2-Disc sets. If there was a fifth wave, I would expect they would have already at least made mention of it to the staffers.

Oh, and orestes., I agree, I like those covers, but what I meant was, they could add the now-standard red banner on top, along with a slipcover. Yeah for DVD package uniformity! :D
Disney-Fan
Platinum Edition
Location: Where it's flat and immense and the heat is intense

Post by Disney-Fan »

From the cover it looks like a cool movie!
"See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve." - The Joker