DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Should Buena Vista reinstate putting the original trailers on future DVD releases?
Yes, always! 95%  95%  [ 36 ]
No, they're fine the way they are now! 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 38
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:18 pm 
Gold Collection

Howdy!

I just looked at the review for the new Toy Story DVD, and I noticed that there are two original theatrical trailers on disc 2! It's about time Disney should put the original trailers on their DVDs!

I'm saying this because we all have gone like what, two years or so without the original trailers on a Buena Vista DVD?

And a funny thing, from reading reviews on the "more adult" releases like King Arthur: Unrated and Sin City, those releases have no original trailers to be found! That's two grown-up DVDs gone kid-friendly! What with the lack of original trailers, the previews at the beginning, and the bonus features layout on the back cover, all the same as on family releases! I guess that's perfect for an adult who's more like a kid. :lol:

BTW, I may be wrong on this, but were there any other Disney DVDs in the past two years or so that HAD the original trailers? Let me know!

sethn172

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:25 pm 
Platinum Edition

Treasure Planet had the original trailers. But not on the PAL discs.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:57 pm 
Site Admin

Now this is a cause I can support! I don't think anyone can applaud Disney for not including trailers for the featured title on their DVDs. I'm not sure how it would be kid-friendly to exclude them. But if you don't like trailers, you don't have to watch. If you do like them, they're easy to include and almost always fun to see.

sethn172 wrote:
BTW, I may be wrong on this, but were there any other Disney DVDs in the past two years or so that HAD the original trailers? Let me know!

The lucky few receive trailers; typically Platinum Editions and Pixar DVDs. <i>Bambi</i>, <i>The Incredibles</i>, <i>Mary Poppins: 40th Anniversary Edition</i>. The upcoming repackagings of the Vault Disney titles <i>Old Yeller</i> and <i>The Parent Trap</i> should retain a slew of trailers, TV spots, and radio ads. The occasional catalogue title might get one as well; <i>The Boatniks</i> and <i>The World's Greatest Athlete</i> surprisingly had them, most others do not. <i>The Pacifier</i> had 5 TV ads (seemingly just to fill out a barren disc), while <i>National Treasure</i> had a Verizon ad/trailer.

I've been baffled at their disappearance. It can't be a rights issue since the theatrical trailers often appear in their entirety on other DVDs as sneak peeks. I just don't get it, but I'm glad to see others who want them back too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:00 pm 
Platinum Edition

You really have to wonder what Disney is thinking when it comes to things like this. "We have a brief, readily-accessible, inexpensive bonus feature that will thrill consumers here and it takes no work on our part... you want to include it?"... "Nah." :?

-Aaron

• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:17 pm 
Limited Edition

I'm one of the baffled ones too. I enjoy trailers and I show them to people if theya re unsure about the movie and 9/10 times they decide on the trailer alone.

I'm someone who would love to see the original trailers on the TV releases along with TV Spots and even International Trailers. I just find it interesting how they do trailers around the world and which clips of the movie they go for to motivate the audience into watching the movie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:28 pm 
Special Edition

Perhaps they're hidden on the disc. For example, the original Roger Rabbit trailer is hidden--its on the first disc and it's part of Benny the cab when you're taken to the list. You wouldn't know its there unless you happened to hover over it.

EDIT: This refers to the Vista release. Plus it could be hidden since Baby Herman gave the finger in it. :P Not exactly Disney material.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:01 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Don't forget that the Region 1 Masterpiece/Special Editions of Alice in Wonderland and Sleeping Beauty had them, as did the 10th Anniversary Edition of Pocahontas! :D

I wouldn't have a nervous breakdown if they weren't included, but trailers are nice to see as they can help to show how films have been promoted at some point, especially with older titles that have multiple trailers for different rereleases.

Blog | Deviantart

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:31 pm 
Gold Collection

Luke wrote:
But if you don't like trailers, you don't have to watch. If you do like them, they're easy to include and almost always fun to see.

Howdy!

My family loves trailers - that's probably the only DVD bonus feature we have time for! I'm not sure if this counts, but when we rented The Pacifier, that DVD had about five original TV commercials for that movie. The "I'm not sure if this counts" part, that might be from one of the reviews here. Or was that for the Verizon ad on National Treasure?

However, I have time for other great bonus features - everything from bloopers to, if the disc has it where I live, listen to it in Spanish!

sethn172

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:54 am 
Special Edition

I can tell you guys one thing, the fact that Mulan SE didn’t have any trailers on it was the straw that broke the camels back on me buying it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:45 am 
Limited Edition

bennyb98 wrote:
I can tell you guys one thing, the fact that Mulan SE didn’t have any trailers on it was the straw that broke the camels back on me buying it.

That and the lack of a REAL making-of documentary kept me from buying it until Wal Mart sold it for $10 for a while. I grabbed it then, because I wanted a widescreen pristine transfer of the movie on DVD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:27 am 
Gold Collection

my chicken is infected wrote:
bennyb98 wrote:

That and the lack of a REAL making-of documentary kept me from buying it until Wal Mart sold it for $10 for a while. I grabbed it then, because I wanted a widescreen pristine transfer of the movie on DVD.

Howdy!

Another pro for that new Mulan DVD is that it has a Mandarin Chinese audio option, something Disney hardly ever does here in America! It's good because it has Spanish on there also. However, my con for that DVD is that it's the American version. :cry: For those who know a lot about how the BBFC works, y'all will understand! :D

sethn172