DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:05 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

https://youtu.be/jfKW6X5NhKs

Anne Hathaway gives an update on the Princess Diaries III. Nothing much has changed, it appears Disney has cold feet. A theatrical PD sequel doesn’t fit Disney’s current model. I think it would be a perfect fit for Disney+... Julie has done two projects now for Netflix and Anne Hathaway has her own streaming TV show coming out. This would be a A-list movie for Disney+. It should be a no-brainer.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:12 pm 
Platinum Edition

I agree, this would be a great choice for Disney+. I don't think there would be a vast theatrical audience for this but it could be a huge hit on streaming.

"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:41 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

https://thedisinsider.com/2020/01/31/pr ... -spin-off/

Quote:
Over the course of the last 10 years talks of a third Princess Diaries movie have come and gone but now things to a new report we make a to visit Genovia again.

According to The Illuminerdi, a spin off centered on Mia’s sister is in the works. The film is expected to be exclusive to Disney+. Lorna Osunsanmi (All-American) is set to write the script.

Here is a breakdown of the film provided by the site:

It’s about a biracial teenage girl discovering that Mia is her half-sister and moving to Genovia to live with the royal family.

It is unknown if original stars Anne Hathaway and Julie Andrews are will return. Hathaway has stated previously that she and Andrews would return for a third outing. Sadly the original Director Garry Marshall passed away a few years ago so the search for a new director to tackle the project is underway.

If they write Julie Andrews out of this, I will riot.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:54 pm 
Platinum Edition

Yawn. The logline makes it sound like a Disney Channel movie. Why on earth would they opt for a spin-off when Anne and Julie were clamoring for another sequel? Sometimes the thought process of Disney executives makes no sense. What would be more popular? A sequel that focuses on the protagonist of the original whom fans love or a spin-off about some girl no one has heard or cares about?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:27 am 
Special Edition

With all due respect to Dame Julie Andrews, I believe writing Clarice out of this planned spin-off film is appropriate. However, as for Anne, however, leaving HER out would be a big mistake.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:20 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

NeoSuperBlissey wrote:
With all due respect to Dame Julie Andrews, I believe writing Clarice out of this planned spin-off film is appropriate. However, as for Anne, however, leaving HER out would be a big mistake.

Dear Sir or Madam, you are no friend to the flying nannies of the world.

Truthfully it is simple to write either of them out: Mia is away on some diplomatic world tour and Clarisse is now retired in a different European country. Then they will simply recreate the first movie with Mia’s sister (I think this character actually comes directly from new Cabot books) playing Mia and some newly created royal advisor playing the role of Clarisse.

It would be a shame because the only reason anybody wants to see a third PD movie is to see Julie and “Annie” reunite one last time.

EDIT: It’s also a bold choice to go ahead with a biracial princess storyline in light of Meghan Markle’s treatment by the British press, which has led to the Sussex couple stepping back from their royal duties. PD is a fairy tale, in the real world a hidden heir suddenly inheriting a throne like Mia Thermopolis would be a huge scandal that would massively undermine a monarchy, but there is no real Mia Thermopolis* so nobody dwells on those implications. But with Meghan Markle, we’ve seen what happens when a person with brown skin joins the most high profile monarchy in the world. Would Disney ever address these issues of race and racism in a meaningful way? Could they even be trusted to? Or is it better not to address it at all, ie. allow this new PD to be as much as a fairy tale as the original? But will audiences today accept that?

* Monaco’s Albert II had children out of wedlock, including a biracial son, but to my knowledge they have never been in the line of succession due to their parents lack of marital status. However, Monaco and the House Grimaldi did almost certainly inspire Genovia and the House of Renaldi. Interestingly, that would make Julie Andrews’s Clarisse a kind of alternate universe Princess Grace who didn’t die.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:59 pm 
Special Edition

UmbrellaFish wrote:
NeoSuperBlissey wrote:

Dear Sir or Madam, you are no friend to the flying nannies of the world.

UmbrellaFish, what I meant to say when I said that writing out Queen Clarice was appropriate was that Clarice, not being Queen of Genovia anymore, would probably be on vacation with Joseph and celebrating their wedding while this proposed third film's story would take place.

I have all the love, honour and respect in the world for Dame Julie Andrews and her body of work throughout the years. I just felt that Clarice's story had been finished in Royal Engagement.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:50 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

No worries, please don’t take my remark seriously, it was meant entirely in jest.

I understand your point and would agree if I thought these movies took themselves very seriously, but I don’t think they do. There isn’t a strong narrative line between the two movies we already have and tonally they are drastically different. Several characters face massive changes in personality between the two films— Clarisse becomes much warmer and Lily, well, in what world would Lily Moscowitz be so willing to help her best friend make an arranged marriage? And in both films, Garry Marshall indulged in not just cameos and callbacks to the Princess Diaries, but gratuitous in-jokes to his other movies like Pretty Woman. Sometimes, well, sometimes who knows what Marshall was thinking— what was Stan Lee doing in Princess Diaries II anyway? And yet audiences still enjoy the movies and remember them fondly.

If asking for Julie Andrews and Anne Hathaway to appear together in a third Princess Diaries movie— the central ingredient of the other films’ success— is now regarded as a form of fan service, then I think it is less harmful than asking say... Coppola to CGI Marlon Brando into a hypothetical Godfather Part IV. The bar isn’t very high to begin with, so let’s all just have a good time, instead.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:01 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

So, apparently Mia does have a half-sister in the books! The series makes a lot more sense now.

https://www.amazon.com/Notebooks-Middle ... -Princess/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:21 pm 
Platinum Edition

The project is reportedly a film, not a series. In the books, Mia has a lot of relatives not present in the movies, including a half-brother named Rocky.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:27 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Oh, I thought it was a series. :? And I was wondering about the brother if they deliberately changed him or not.