DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 823 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42
 Post subject: Re: Mary Poppins Returns
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:37 am 
Platinum Edition

How wonderful to actually feature Mary Poppins in some way ! At long last :)

I don't see the beef between Julie and Emily's versions of the character; it will still be Mary doing meet'n'greets etc, in any of her costumes from ones available from both her film and her sequel. Nothing wrong with being Jolly Holiday Mary one day, then Royal Dolton the next, no ? Mary Poppins Returns needs breathing room to germinate and the songs to sink into the subconscious of the world; just as the first did for fifty years solid now.

The sequel was absolutely charming, and was a critical success as well ... it didn't do Aquaman numbers, but why on earth does that mean it needs to be written off in favour of the 'original and original alone' trope :roll:

Hearing a meld of both films music whilst you walk down Cherry Tree Lane will be magical; hearing a mix of them together even now ( via Spotify ) shows you how brilliantly the sequels songs carried over the same vain of the first.

I hope something of Mary comes to Paris but I have 0 hope of that as they barely bother with any of their animated films for expansion / park presence let alone a live action / animation hybrid.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:51 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

With Disney’s rules about character integrity and the specific celebrity contracts involved, it is unlikely that a different costume could be substituted so easily. Hypothetically, you couldn’t just say, “Oh, I think Mary will wear her Jolly Holiday dress today” because you have a PhotoPass castmember on the schedule and he or she cannot take pictures of that costume. Imagineering will make demands, too— “We themed this area after 1930’s London, Mary cannot wear a 1910’s dress” etc. etc. As a lifelong Mary Poppins fan, the 1964 movie means a great deal to me. I liked the sequel and I’m happy for it to find its own place in the parks, but yes, I would be disappointed if the introduction of the 2018 characters and costumes leads to the removal of the 1964 characters and costumes— especially if, God forbid, it becomes a change property wide.

EDIT: While I’m here, and because I am actually excited about this expansion, I think my number one choice for a ride, after a full-fledged dark ride (unlikely) would be a faithful recreation of the carousel from the 1964 movie with its sixties styled horses! I’d ride it multiple times just to make sure I rode the horses Mary and Bert rode!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:34 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

I'd like to see a ride along the lines of this.
http://mentalfloss.com/article/85415/th ... -have-been

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 823 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42