DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 825 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 42  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mary Poppins Returns
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:16 pm 
Gold Collection

Isn't it a little too soon to announce a release date like that?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:20 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

New articles:

How Mary Poppins Returns pulled off that animated sequence
https://ew.com/movies/2018/12/21/mary-p ... animation/

7 Easter eggs you might have missed in Mary Poppins Returns
https://ew.com/movies/mary-poppins-returns-easter-eggs/

'Mary Poppins Returns' greatest Easter eggs — including the key callback that unlocks the film's ending (SPOILERS!)
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/mar ... 55720.html

Rob Marshall on Why He Signed an Overall Deal at Walt Disney Studios
http://collider.com/rob-marshall-interv ... s-returns/

Ben Whishaw & Emily Mortimer on ‘Mary Poppins Returns’ and Director Rob Marshall
http://collider.com/mary-poppins-return ... interview/

Lin-Manuel Miranda Says Mary Poppins Returns Can't Improve On Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
https://www.cinemablend.com/news/246404 ... alidocious

Dick Van Dyke on ‘Mary Poppins Returns’ and Dancing at 93
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/21/movi ... turns.html

How 91-year-old Dick Van Dyke danced madly on that desk in 'Mary Poppins Returns'
https://eu.usatoday.com/story/life/movi ... 371100002/

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:39 am 
Platinum Edition

I love all the covers!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:43 am 
Collector's Edition

I wish the first film got a release like that.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:48 am 
Limited Edition

Maybe it will, since next year it will celebrate its 55th anniversary. Maybe they’ll re-release it on Blu-ray alongside the sequel.

If you're a fan of Disney animation, like my Facebook fanpage

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:33 am 
In The Vaults

-

Last edited by Dr Frankenollie on Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:33 am 
In The Vaults

-

Last edited by Dr Frankenollie on Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:46 pm 
Collector's Edition

Dr Frankenollie wrote:
I thought I’d like it. I do love the original. But it was quite a disappointment. For a film which is – supposedly – put together by lovers of the 1964 original, it is deeply thematically out of step with it. This is a film made by someone who evidently regards the cartoon penguins as more integral to the first feature than Feed the Birds or the character arc of George Banks.

Ben Whishaw’s Michael is a pretty drab and uninteresting figure when compared to his father. David Tomlinson’s George Banks was subtle; a delusional, narcissistic and yet fundamentally decent man, an antagonist for whom we were invited to sympathise with. Michael Banks lacks his father’s depths; we are told he is an artist, yet his vocation never matters and his art never appears. He is too obviously decent to start with for his arc to have any resonance, and his anger at his children is so clearly unusual for him that the whole exercise seems rather unnecessary.

The use of some of the original’s songs in the underscore is nice, especially when it uses some of the lesser-known pieces in the appropriate places (The Life I Lead, The Perfect Nanny, even Fidelity Fiduciary Bank), but the approach serves to underline how confused the writing is when Feed the Birds inevitably appears. It makes its cameo alongside Van Dyke’s, in a scene where Mr Dawes reveals that Michael’s “tuppence” of the 1964 film has accrued sufficient interest to handily resolve this sequel’s plot. This clumsy exposition is not only rather thin gruel to give to Van Dyke, but also comically misses the entire point of the tuppence in the first film. After all, young Michael Banks wants to give it to the Bird Woman rather than the bank, a choice that Mary Poppins explicitly presents as the right one, framing it as a choice between compassion and shallow selfishness. This film thus sides with the villains of the original. It’s clearly an accident, but it’s not an isolated incident. Mary Poppins Returns also sees the adult Jane compare Michael to their father when Whishaw is shouting angrily; this is baffling, considering the fact that the story of Mary Poppins is how their father becomes a better, kinder man. That Jane would remember George Banks as otherwise is a careless error. But there is a possible explanation by the end of Returns: the Balloon Lady remarks, quite startlingly, that “of course, the grown-ups will forget by tomorrow” and Mary agrees. If this is the case, and George Banks went back to his old ways, and Michael is to go back to his, then Mary Poppins and her visits are pointless. If not, then she and the Balloon Lady are talking rubbish – either way, it doesn’t work. The story of Mary Poppins is to remember what it’s like to be a child, and to treasure the time you have with your family. It’s not the story of a fun day out that’s instantly forgotten.

Oh well!

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I loved the film.

From what I recall, Michael gave the tuppence to his father not the bird woman. Still an act of compassion, albeit inadequate in light of his father’s impending job loss.

As for the adults will all forget by tomorrow line, I took that not to mean that they would forget what they learned so much as the whimsy of the experience - much how like Jane and Michael has hazy recollections of the wondrous things they had experienced as children but then had convinced themselves that couldn’t possibly have happened. In my mind it’s much like how you experience something as a child and you remember it as so much more wondrous than it actually was (like when I visited Griffith Observatory when I was 10 and then again when I was 23 and it wasn’t anywhere near as wondrous as I remembered it).

I always took the original Mary Poppins to be the healing of a fractured family (distracted parents and lonely children) and in this case again healing from a different kind of broken (grieving the loss of the mother separately rather than coming together).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:25 am 
Platinum Edition

Wait RyGuy, I'm confused at what you mean by they will remember it fonder than it was. If the adults will forget, you mean they will remember it better than it actually was? I don't see how that fits with the line.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:44 am 
Collector's Edition

Disney Duster wrote:
Wait RyGuy, I'm confused at what you mean by they will remember it fonder than it was. If the adults will forget, you mean they will remember it better than it actually was? I don't see how that fits with the line.

Ha! Fair question. I don’t think I explained it well. What I meant was they would remember but assume that they were rememembering it better than it was. Like where Jane says something to Michael like, “Those things, with Mary Poppins, they didn’t really happen, did they?” It’s as if she remembers, but assumes her imagination as a child made the memory better than it was. I think that was the point the balloon lady was making about the adults always forgetting. Indeed, during “Nowhere to Go But Up” Michael finally puts it all together and concludes it WAS all real and exclaims, “I remember!!” as if he has finally recognized no, it wasn’t his imagination.

Does that make more sense, Duster?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:17 am 
Platinum Edition

Oh, ok yes! I didn't read the spoilers, but yes that makes sense!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:11 pm 
Collector's Edition

RyGuy wrote:
Dr Frankenollie wrote:
I thought I’d like it. I do love the original. But it was quite a disappointment. For a film which is – supposedly – put together by lovers of the 1964 original, it is deeply thematically out of step with it. This is a film made by someone who evidently regards the cartoon penguins as more integral to the first feature than Feed the Birds or the character arc of George Banks.

Ben Whishaw’s Michael is a pretty drab and uninteresting figure when compared to his father. David Tomlinson’s George Banks was subtle; a delusional, narcissistic and yet fundamentally decent man, an antagonist for whom we were invited to sympathise with. Michael Banks lacks his father’s depths; we are told he is an artist, yet his vocation never matters and his art never appears. He is too obviously decent to start with for his arc to have any resonance, and his anger at his children is so clearly unusual for him that the whole exercise seems rather unnecessary.

The use of some of the original’s songs in the underscore is nice, especially when it uses some of the lesser-known pieces in the appropriate places (The Life I Lead, The Perfect Nanny, even Fidelity Fiduciary Bank), but the approach serves to underline how confused the writing is when Feed the Birds inevitably appears. It makes its cameo alongside Van Dyke’s, in a scene where Mr Dawes reveals that Michael’s “tuppence” of the 1964 film has accrued sufficient interest to handily resolve this sequel’s plot. This clumsy exposition is not only rather thin gruel to give to Van Dyke, but also comically misses the entire point of the tuppence in the first film. After all, young Michael Banks wants to give it to the Bird Woman rather than the bank, a choice that Mary Poppins explicitly presents as the right one, framing it as a choice between compassion and shallow selfishness. This film thus sides with the villains of the original. It’s clearly an accident, but it’s not an isolated incident. Mary Poppins Returns also sees the adult Jane compare Michael to their father when Whishaw is shouting angrily; this is baffling, considering the fact that the story of Mary Poppins is how their father becomes a better, kinder man. That Jane would remember George Banks as otherwise is a careless error. But there is a possible explanation by the end of Returns: the Balloon Lady remarks, quite startlingly, that “of course, the grown-ups will forget by tomorrow” and Mary agrees. If this is the case, and George Banks went back to his old ways, and Michael is to go back to his, then Mary Poppins and her visits are pointless. If not, then she and the Balloon Lady are talking rubbish – either way, it doesn’t work. The story of Mary Poppins is to remember what it’s like to be a child, and to treasure the time you have with your family. It’s not the story of a fun day out that’s instantly forgotten.

Oh well!

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I loved the film.

From what I recall, Michael gave the tuppence to his father not the bird woman. Still an act of compassion, albeit inadequate in light of his father’s impending job loss.

As for the adults will all forget by tomorrow line, I took that not to mean that they would forget what they learned so much as the whimsy of the experience - much how like Jane and Michael has hazy recollections of the wondrous things they had experienced as children but then had convinced themselves that couldn’t possibly have happened. In my mind it’s much like how you experience something as a child and you remember it as so much more wondrous than it actually was (like when I visited Griffith Observatory when I was 10 and then again when I was 23 and it wasn’t anywhere near as wondrous as I remembered it).

I always took the original Mary Poppins to be the healing of a fractured family (distracted parents and lonely children) and in this case again healing from a different kind of broken (grieving the loss of the mother separately rather than coming together).

I agree with you. The film was very disappointing and it really missed the point of the original where Mary tries to bring parents and their children closer together, instead it's about Mary beating the bad guy. Even the songs were mediocre.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:33 am 
Limited Edition

farerb wrote:
I agree with you. The film was very disappointing and it really missed the point of the original where Mary tries to bring parents and their children closer together, instead it's about Mary beating the bad guy. Even the songs were mediocre.

I'm afraid you completely missed the point of everything. She was there to fix the relationship between Michael and his children. I mean, it was even obvious she knew where the certificate was (she basically handed it to Georgie). If she was there to save them from homelessness, she would have left an hour later.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:40 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Clip from "Trip A Little Light Fantastic" and featurette about the making of the musical number.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:46 am 
Super Genius

Old Fish Tale wrote:
farerb wrote:

I'm afraid you completely missed the point of everything. She was there to fix the relationship between Michael and his children. I mean, it was even obvious she knew where the certificate was (she basically handed it to Georgie). If she was there to save them from homelessness, she would have left an hour later.

Yeah I agree. I thought this was handled incredibly well. From the kids being little adults to the emotional growth of the entire family... it was really moving.

My only issue with the film was that the music just did not stick with me at all. I really enjoyed the look and choreography of all the numbers. But I felt like a lot of them lyrically were just very oddly disjointed. I’m absolutely sure they’ll grow on me. However I don’t think any of these songs will ever be considered classics or hold a candle to the legacy of the originals. And in all fairness, that is a difficult task. But I don’t doubt that there’s someone in the industry who could’ve done a better job with them than what we ended up with. I will say the though that The Place Where the Lost Things Go is beautiful, and so emotionally complex. In a film that didn’t musically register with me, that song left an impression.

Complaints aside, everything else was lovely. And Blunt couldn’t have been a better choice. She deserves every bit of praise for playing the role with such grace and yet making it absolutely her own.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:55 am 
In The Vaults

-

Last edited by Dr Frankenollie on Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:13 am 
Special Edition

Dr Frankenollie wrote:
RyGuy wrote:

Michael does give his tuppence to his father, yes - not for it to go into a bank account, as in Returns, but as a show of compassion, as you say, for his father. It’s still clearly wrong in the film’s eyes to favour bank interest over birds. Which is why, notably, George Banks *doesn’t* put that tuppence in the bank. Considering he’s been fired and it’s nighttime, it’d be an odd move for him to do so right away. And what are the first lyrics for “Let’s Go Fly a Kite?”

“With tuppence for paper and strings,
You can have your own set of wings”

Michael’s tuppence didn’t go into a bank account, it was used to buy the materials for a kite - another act of kindness on George’s part, mirroring his son’s. But hey, I guess the kite song isn’t that famous.

George puts the tuppence in the hands of mr Daws sr when he gets fired, runs of and tells them he will probably do all sorts of magical things...so the money does end up with the bank...He gets hired again when mr Daws sr dies of laughing and jr is left in charge of the bank(van Dycke in Returns)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:57 pm 
Collector's Edition

Thanks, Toky.

Dr. Frankenollie I completely appreciate and respect your perspective on this film (I just have a different perspective). If my original response in any way did not indicate that, then I sincerely apologize. FWIW, I do find the whole your tuppence grew so much over the past 30 years it's enough to pay off your loan a bit farfetched, but by that point in the film, I was having so much fun I was willing to forgive it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:05 pm 
Limited Edition

New featurette: https://www.waltdisneystudiosawards.com/mary-poppins-returns/videos

It's really long too.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:56 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

^That featurette was really interesting. A new clip from "A Cover Is Not the Book" has also been released: https://twitter.com/DisneyStudios/statu ... 6139358209

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 825 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 42  Next