DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 823 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 42  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mary Poppins Returns
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:01 pm 
Limited Edition

Yeah, I think it’s just a coincidence. Julie and Rob Marshall are good friends. Trust me, if Julie wanted to be in Mary Poppins Returns, she would have been in it. What I find interesting is that she’s doing a movie with Warner Bros. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think this is her very first movie with Warner Bros. I think I read somewhere that after Jack Warner passed her over for the film version of My Fair Lady, she swore she would never make a WB film. Almost 55 years later, here we are!

The special was really good! I only caught the first 30 minutes. I would like to finish it, but it isn’t on Demand or any streaming platforms.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:43 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

I don’t think it’s about Julie wanting to be in MPR. It seems pretty clear to me that the Angela Lansbury role was written for Julie Andrews and she turned it down. I think Julie is privately unhappy that the project is happening at all. Recently the author of the upcoming tie-in history book on Mary Poppins revealed that Julie’s team wouldn’t allow him to publish an essay in the book specifically about Julie’s career. She’s gracious and classy and she’ll publicly support Poppins Returns, but privately I can’t help but wonder if she has some reservations, like, as Divinity mentioned, many other actors and artists do when their iconic works are remade or reimagined.

I can’t say I’m privy to all of the Dame’s tastes in movies, TV shows, etc. but in the past when asked about the kind of things she likes to watch, it’s usually British imported PBS fare. I had half hoped I’d hear Julie was going to appear in the new Downton Abbey movie, and then Aquaman appeared *ahem* out of the blue.

I mean, maybe she’s doing it for her great grandchildren, I don’t know, and perhaps we never will... but it all smells fishy to me.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:18 pm 
Platinum Edition

New poster. I like that they made the background into the shape of a kite.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:58 pm 
Platinum Edition

UmbrellaFish wrote:
I had half hoped I’d hear Julie was going to appear in the new Downton Abbey movie, and then Aquaman appeared *ahem* out of the blue.
Oh, that would've been lovely. I know I've read Imelda Staunton is involved. Andrews would've been a great addition to the film.

I agree that Julie Andrews is all class and would never say anything she might feel publicly out of respect to the actors in MPR. That doesn't mean even a good person isn't capable of feeling some kinda way about a re-make of a film they're known for. I don't think anyone is saying she wasn't offered a cameo in MPR, more that the existence of a MPR at all might be what's offensive.

Christina Aguilera ~ "Ain't No Other Man"
Kelly Clarkson ~ "Didn't I"

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:33 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Sotiris wrote:
D82 wrote:
So the ninth song is titled "A Conversation". I wonder who sings it and why it's the only one that wasn't revealed to the press.

I think that might be LMM's rap song.

Yes, it's possible. It could also be Dick Van Dyke's song. In the D23 article it says he also sings in the movie, though his song could be one of the reprises.

Sotiris wrote:
Again, Shaiman is trying too hard to convince us how much he loves the music of the original, how the new songs carry the same feeling, how he's the Sherman Brothers' biggest fan. It comes off as insincere. If he really was their fan, he would want Richard to score the sequel and continue that legacy instead of wanting to take his job. Just saying.

People always exaggerate in these kinds of interviews. In promotions for Disney films, for example, everyone says they're Disney's biggest fans. In some cases it can be true, but not always. Well, a film like this one is a big opportunity for a composer, so I understand it must be difficult to turn down the job. And, even if he had recommended Richard for the job, we don't know if Disney would've accepted that proposal either. But yes, if he was as big a fan as he says, at least he would've tried to meet him and know firsthand if he was interested in doing the music himself or if he gave them his blessing. But they didn't meet him until the movie was completely finished, as they said in an interview.

Sotiris wrote:
It was interesting how parts of the songs were pre-recorded while others were recorded live. Apparently, Rob Marshall believes that this way a fluid and seamless blend between vocals and visuals for the musical numbers can be achieved.

Yes, that was also interesting. It seems Robert Marshall has his own way of doing things. I guess it probably gives better results, as he says.

Sotiris wrote:
Quote:
Today’s scene is the song “Trip a Little Light Fantastic,” a complicated musical number featuring Lin-Manuel Miranda as Jack, a lamplighter who was a protégé to Mary’s now-departed friend Bert.

Bert is supposed to be dead in Mary Poppins Returns? :shock: Couldn't they have explained his absence in some other way?

I hadn't read that article yet. :o Why are they killing every character they don't want in the film? Jane and Michael's parents also seem to be dead in the sequel. One of these characters could've died, but not all of them. They wouldn't be that old yet, so they should still be alive. They should've found other excuses for their absence, as you said.

Sotiris wrote:
The D23 article was very interesting and detailed. It covers elements of the production that haven't been mentioned elsewhere in the press.
Sotiris wrote:
I'm glad they went with animatronics as opposed to CG for the parrot handle of Mary Poppins' umbrella.
Sotiris wrote:
The illustrations of Peter Ellenshaw, who worked on the original film, were used during the opening credits of the sequel.

Yes, it's true. It was the most detailed article yet. And those are two nice tributes to the original film.

Musical Master wrote:
The special was wonderful. Really interesting stuff they showed with the hand-drawn sequence, making the songs (which sounded wonderful on the piano), costumes, Dick Van Dyke's cameo role etc.

Yes, the special was quite good. They showed more than I thought they would. As I'm not from the USA, I watched it on one of these illegal live stream websites, and unfortunately, just when they began talking about the music, it stop working and I had to find another one, so I missed one or two minutes there. But at least, before it stopped working I had time to learn that the melody I liked from the trailer is from the song "Underneath the Lovely London Sky." When I caught it again the composers were talking about "Can You Imagine That" and "Trip a Little Light Fantastic". Later, we got to hear a little bit of "The Cover Is Not the Book" when they were talking about the animated scene. I didn't find it too special, but I know it was too short to judge. Were more songs previewed?

tsom wrote:
The special was really good! I only caught the first 30 minutes. I would like to finish it, but it isn’t on Demand or any streaming platforms.

I've tried to find it online, but it seems nobody has uploaded it. It's a shame.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:08 am 
Limited Edition

Sotiris wrote:
New poster. I like that they made the background nto the shape of a kite.

That's lovely

If you're a fan of Disney animation, like my Facebook fanpage

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:42 am 
Limited Edition

Disney's Divinity wrote:
I can believe Julie Andrews might not like that they're making a "new" Mary Poppins after the original was so iconic.

Boy, are you wrong!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Nwz3CKll_8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMqf1Cn2o5M

As you can see, she's very supportive. And Rob and Julie are good friends. He supposedly wanted her to play Angela's role, but she thought that cameo would be distracting:

Quote:
So much so, in fact, that Andrews decided not to appear in the sequel out of respect to Blunt. (Van Dyke, on the other hand, does make a cameo — but no, not as Bert.)

Marshall explains, “Julie was incredibly gracious, and we talked about it in a very general way but she made it clear right up front. She said, ‘This is Emily’s show, and I really want it to be Emily’s show. I don’t want it to be, “Oh, here comes that Mary Poppins.” I don’t want that. I really want her to take this and run with it, because she will be brilliant.’

https://ew.com/movies/2017/06/09/mary-poppins-returns-julie-andrews-wont-appear/

And she praised Emily a lot during the 'Julie's Greenroom' press tour. I'm almost sure she's going to the world premiere next week.

Oh, and let's be real: no one's watching 'Aquaman' just because Julie Andrews is voicing a sea monster. Hehehe!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:05 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

It's just a voice-over role and I assume little more than a cameo, so it likely just required Julie Andrews to go into the recording booth for a few hours, similar to her small roles in the Despicable Me films. I imagine she just thought it was easy money.

Plus, Warner Brothers hasn't exactly been heavily advertising Andrews's involvement in the marketing for Aquaman. Most people might not even be aware she's in that film.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:52 am 
Platinum Edition

Old Fish Tale wrote:
Boy, are you wrong!

Find someone else to stalk, please. I've already read what Andrews has said about not wanting to take the spotlight from Blunt. You're embarrassing.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:15 pm 
Limited Edition

Disney's Divinity wrote:
Old Fish Tale wrote:
Boy, are you wrong!

Find someone else to stalk, please. I've already read what Andrews has said about not wanting to take the spotlight from Blunt. You're embarrassing.

Good. You can stop pretending she's disowning this film now.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:53 pm 
Platinum Edition

Nobody was even speaking to you; I'll say whatever I please. If you don't like it, boohoo.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:49 pm 
Limited Edition

Disney's Divinity wrote:
Nobody was even speaking to you; I'll say whatever I please. If you don't like it, boohoo.

We're in a public thread. Everyone is free to pick whatever you say apart. Especially when you're wrong (and pressed).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:44 pm 
Platinum Edition

:roll: Feel free to rehash the same argument you wanted 20 pages ago. Hopefully the hospital comes by to haul you away soon.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:44 pm 
Limited Edition

Back to the topic at hand... Has anyone picked up and read the novelization yet? I'm quite curious about the story.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:00 am 
Limited Edition

Does anyone know when the soundtrack will be released? I wonder if it will have two releases, like the other live action features? 1-disc regular and 2-disc deluxe edition, with digipack.

If you're a fan of Disney animation, like my Facebook fanpage

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:35 am 
Limited Edition

December 7th is the official release of the soundtrack though a deluxe edition is yet to be announced. Speaking of the music, Disney has officially released The Place Where Lost Things Go and Trip a Little Light Fantastic and honestly these two songs sound so wonderful! Can't wait to hear the rest of them. :D :D :D :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TFOZF0DokE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04FyHOCA7ao

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:38 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Musical Master wrote:
December 7th is the official release of the soundtrack though a deluxe edition is yet to be announced. Speaking of the music, Disney has officially released The Place Where Lost Things Go and Trip a Little Light Fantastic and honestly these two songs sound so wonderful! Can't wait to hear the rest of them. :D :D :D :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TFOZF0DokE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04FyHOCA7ao

How exciting!

“The Place Where Lost Things Go” seems to be this movie’s “Feed the Bird,” the emotional center piece of the movie. It’s a lovely little song, and it wouldn’t be out of place in any modern Broadway show. It moves the plot forward in a way that “Feed the Birds” doesn’t. “Feed the Birds” is entirely allegorical and Poppins delivers her message to the children in prose, “Sometimes people we love, through no fault of their own, can’t see past the end of their nose.” Whereas in the new film, Mary delivers her message in her song: “your mother is watching over you.” It’s really more indicative of the changes in modern Disney musicals than anything— Howard Ashman was really the first person at Disney to stress that each song be integral to the plot and move it forward, and Shaiman and Wittman are continuing in that tradition.

“Trip a Little Light Fantastic,” this film’s Chim Chim Cher-ee/Step in Time?, perhaps, was a lot of fun and I look forward to seeing that on film. I enjoyed Mary speaking “leery,” which seems representative of Cockney rhyming slang in the same way that the original film used the Cockney pearlies during “Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.“ Emily Blunt’s drole delivery during this song reminded me of Michelle Dockery on Downton Abbey, too, which may be indicative of a very different take on Mary than Julie— she’s generally very stern and no-nonsense but let’s her hair down during the musical numbers (sometimes, not all the time as she doesn’t in “I Love to Laugh”). I’ll have to see the whole performance to judge, of course.

Something new, a little different, but respectful of the original, very fun, and quite good in its own right, too. I probably need to check out at this point, however, to save some surprises for the movie theatre.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:30 pm 
Platinum Edition

I didn't like "Trip a Little Light Fantastic" at all. It's annoying and overlong and tried too hard to be a Sherman-type song but lacking the wit and melody to pull it off. I did enjoy "The Place Where Lost Things Go" though. It's a pleasant albeit unremarkable ballad. If one of the songs has to be nominated for an Oscar, I hope it's the latter.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:35 pm 
Limited Edition

It almost seems the songs are from another time. So beautiful! 'The Place Where Lost Things Go' is so bittersweet. I'm sure it will be even more affecting in context.

Tracklist: https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/The-MARY-POPPINS-RETURNS-Soundtrack-is-Available-for-Pre-Order-Today-20181126

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:42 pm 
Limited Edition

Old Fish Tale wrote:
It almost seems the songs are from another time. So beautiful! 'The Place Where Lost Things Go' is so bittersweet. I'm sure it will be even more affecting in context.

Tracklist: https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/The-MARY-POPPINS-RETURNS-Soundtrack-is-Available-for-Pre-Order-Today-20181126

IKR?? I love the both of them and repeat listens of these songs are getting better and better. Plus i'm very happy that the song "A Conversation" is for Ben Whishaw. :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 823 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 42  Next