DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 823 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 42  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mary Poppins Returns
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:09 am 
Platinum Edition

D82 wrote:
Here's also the entire Q&A panel after the screening for SAG members that took place on Saturday. I found it quite interesting.

Producer Mark Platt confirmed there are 3D backgrounds and CG elements in the 2D-animated sequence. :( I'm relieved Jack is going to be Jane's love insterest instead of Mary Poppins'. I hope though Jane's arc isn't reduced to finding a guy. I'm a little worried they might fall into the trope of fixing the sad, single feminist's life by giving her a boyfriend.

D82 wrote:
Academy Conversations: Mary Poppins Returns
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnY6c1Ms5IQ

It was great listening to Rob Marshall talk about his love for the original, how much it means to him, and the amount of thought and attention he's put into the sequel. While I have my issues with the movie, I admire his passion and appreciate his efforts to do the original justice. It was also interesting learning that the score was recorded before the movie had even finished filming. That's highly unorthodox when it comes to film scoring.

D82 wrote:
‘Mary Poppins Returns’ Songwriters Discuss Pair Of Awards-Contending Tunes & The Artistic Crucible In Following Up A Classic
https://deadline.com/2018/11/mary-poppi ... 202505390/

Quote:
Marc Shaiman: As we were being told by our producer and Disney, “Make sure you deliver Lin-Manuel. Give the audience what they want from him,” we also had to deliver what Lin wanted.

So this is the real reason we have rapping in the film (or as the songwriters have labeled it "pattering" in order to excuse and justify its existence in the film).

Quote:
Q: While Robert Sherman passed away in 2012, Richard Sherman is still with us, and is listed as a consultant on the film. Did you spend much time with him in the process of putting this film together?

Scott Wittman: Well it’s funny, we just spent a couple of hours with him this afternoon.

Marc Shaiman: Our producer, Marc Platt, really mostly met with him a lot, played him all the songs, [showed him] the screenplay.

Scott Wittman: He was part of the process.

Marc Shaiman: Yeah, and if he had something that he thought should have been different or changed, he would have said so. But lo and behold, he didn’t. He was loving what he was hearing, and he really loves the new movie; I’ve now sat next to him and heard him say it a lot. And believe me, I looked so deeply into his eyes while he was saying it for any tell—his left eyelash [twitching] or something. But he really loves it. He said to us, “You guys picked up the baton and continued running the race, and you did it beautifully.” He was very, very moved, and that is the greatest review we could have ever hoped for.

They're trying a little too hard to convince us that Richard Sherman approves of the new songs. This is all coming off as lip-service to dodge any potential criticism. That's why they gave him this meaningless (and frankly insulting) position as a "consultant". I still don't understand why Disney didn't just hire him since he's still actively working and writing songs for movies and various other projects. They could have at least allowed him to contribute one song to the movie. Would that have been so difficult or unreasonable? Especially since Mary Poppins means so much to Richard and it's tightly tied to his memories of Walt.

Quote:
Shortlisted as contenders for the job—with Shaiman as composer and lyricist, and Wittman as co-lyricist—it was this very passion and the terror it produced that may well have landed them the job. “We knew and had worked with Rob Marshall and [producer] John DeLuca, but that isn’t necessarily a reason why you get a job. Sometimes it can be the reason you don’t get a job. So, we begged. I went and said to Rob, ‘This is everything, this movie, to me. I learned everything I could about songwriting, listening to that album, since I’ve been four years old,’” Shaiman admits.

This is how they got the job? Yikes. :huh: It's not very professional or appropriate to go begging for a job at your potential employers. Especially when they already know you and are aware of your body of work. You need to let them judge if you're right for the project without any prodding or emotional manipulation.

Quote:
Q: Did you write many songs for the film that didn’t make the final cut?

Marc Shaiman: Yeah, I think there’s only two spots in the movie that are the very first song that we wrote. Not that we didn’t keep refining them, but except for “The Place Where Lost Things Go” and “Turning Turtle,” every other spot had at least one other song on its way to becoming the song that’s in the film.

I hope they include the deleted songs on the soundtrack. It's always a treat knowing what it could have been.

D82 wrote:
The Making of MARY POPPINS RETURNS’ Animated Sequence
https://nerdist.com/mary-poppins-return ... making-of/

Quote:
Using technology that Disney didn’t have available in the 1960s, they were able to move the camera through in a two-dimensional fashion to make the viewer feel more like they’re inside the illustrations. Marshall elaborated, “When you see the film, you are in this 2D hand-painted world but in a three-dimensional way. It’s why our post production has been longer than normal. It is live action and animation so there’s this wonderful interaction between the two, and I believe everyone feels it was worth it.”

You don't need CG backgrounds and other elements to achieve that effect. Who Framed Roger Rabbit pulled it off perfectly in 1988 without any CG.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:20 pm 
Limited Edition

Old Fish Tale wrote:
tsom wrote:
My friend said there was an overture at the beginning with beautiful paintings/drawings being shown. Not sure if it was an overture without the main titles, or the main titles he called an overture, but he said there was one?

Yes, the overture with the drawings is there. But if comes after the first song.

Oh now that's going to be really magical to watch! :D

The article about the songwriters was pretty interesting; personally I'm relieved that they're going to write the songs and I know I might get shot for this... But honestly, the songs that Richard Sherman wrote for the Christopher Robin movie wasn't that great. They weren't bad but they lacked the spark and magic that I expect from him, which could be excused for the fact that the movie isn't a musical but still. So to have Richard as the consultant and actually really liking what Marc Shaiman and Scott Whitman have done is a VERY good sign that the songs might be really wonderful.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:31 pm 
Limited Edition

The kind of clip everyone here wants to see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlHvy1tEd0w

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:57 pm 
Limited Edition

Oh, and some information about the embargo.

November 29: social sentiment.

December 12: reviews.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:04 pm 
Limited Edition

Old Fish Tale wrote:
Oh, and some information about the embargo.

November 29: social sentiment.

December 12: reviews.

At least it won't be long for social media, when I for one can be patient for the official reviews. :)

Crossing my fingers for these reviews to be really good.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:22 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Thanks for the info and for the clip, Old Fish Tale. I was hoping the officially released clip would be a little longer than what was shown on TV and that we'd get to hear a bit of the song, but we'll have to wait a bit more for that.

Some more updates:

• New articles:

• Photos of the D23 Magazine article: https://twitter.com/m1nwa/status/1065235092447133696

• More previews from tomorrow's TV special:

• New FYC ad: https://www.nextbestpicture.com/uploads ... 1_orig.jpg

• And better image of the theater standee: http://drissi.com/wp/wp-content/uploads ... _Final.jpg

Sotiris wrote:
I'm relieved Jack is going to be Jane's love insterest instead of Mary Poppins'. I hope though Jane's arc isn't reduced to finding a guy. I'm a little worried they might fall into the trope of fixing the sad, single feminist's life by giving her a boyfriend.

I must've missed that part. Well, I heard they talked about a romantic relationship, but I assumed it was Mary Poppins and Jack. I'm also glad there won't be a romance between them.

Sotiris wrote:
It was also interesting learning that the score was recorded before the movie had even finished filming. That's highly unorthodox when it comes to film scoring.

I found that interesting too. It seems they have made the movie with a lot of care.

Sotiris wrote:
I still don't understand why Disney didn't just hire him since he's still actively working and writing songs for movies and various other projects. They could have at least allowed him to contribute one song to the movie. Would that have been so difficult or unreasonable? Especially since Mary Poppins means so much to Richard and it's tightly tied to his memories of Walt.

Yes, at least they could've allowed him to do one song. Maybe the work they asked him to do for Christopher Robin was somewhat a compensation for not offering him this project.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:05 am 
Limited Edition

https://twitter.com/ABC2020/status/1065590727642619904

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:25 am 
Platinum Edition

The more I'm seeing of this, the more and more I'm getting so excited for it !

I wonder if it will become as iconic, over time, like the original has ? Or will it forever be in the shadows of its predecessor ?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:52 pm 

New poster: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dss4p4bWsAEfHPf.jpg

New television spot: https://twitter.com/DisneyStudios/status/1065064418374021121

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:58 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

^Thanks! The poster has perhaps too many elements in it, but at least offers us new images.

By the way, have you guys heard about Julie Andrews' secret voice role in Aquaman? How curious, right? She doesn’t appear in Mary Poppins Returns, but is in the movie that opens in theaters against it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:18 pm 
Platinum Edition

D82 wrote:
So the ninth song is titled "A Conversation". I wonder who sings it and why it's the only one that wasn't revealed to the press.

I think that might be LMM's rap song.

Rob Marshall wrote:
At the beginning of the film, he's rapping like he’s a one-man band, which just felt so right for him.
Source: https://nerdist.com/lin-manuel-miranda- ... s-returns/

D82 wrote:

Again, Shaiman is trying too hard to convince us how much he loves the music of the original, how the new songs carry the same feeling, how he's the Sherman Brothers' biggest fan. It comes off as insincere. If he really was their fan, he would want Richard to score the sequel and continue that legacy instead of wanting to take his job. Just saying.

It was interesting how parts of the songs were pre-recorded while others were recorded live. Apparently, Rob Marshall believes that this way a fluid and seamless blend between vocals and visuals for the musical numbers can be achieved.

D82 wrote:

Quote:
And we've obviously come a long way in terms of animation. Most of it is computer-generated now, but what's lost with that is that sense of artistry, this beautiful and extraordinary work. Everyone agreed it felt fresh again, when you see them speaking to these animated characters that are drawn that way and you feel that artistry.

Rob Marshall knows what's up. :thumb:

D82 wrote:

Quote:
Today’s scene is the song “Trip a Little Light Fantastic,” a complicated musical number featuring Lin-Manuel Miranda as Jack, a lamplighter who was a protégé to Mary’s now-departed friend Bert.

Bert is supposed to be dead in Mary Poppins Returns? :shock: Couldn't they have explained his absence in some other way?

Quote:
The final parrot head – and yes, there are many copies of the umbrella, as well—is made both to look as much like a parrot as possible and (in some versions) to contain the mechanics necessary to have it speak. The team discussed using computer effects to create the talking parrot “in post,” after the filming was complete, Myhre says, but decided to stick to animatronics because “the kids are going to have a much better time talking to a parrot head umbrella that can actually talk to them” during the filming.

I'm glad they went with animatronics as opposed to CG for the parrot handle of Mary Poppins' umbrella.

D82 wrote:
Photos of the D23 Magazine article: https://twitter.com/m1nwa/status/1065235092447133696

The D23 article was very interesting and detailed. It covers elements of the production that haven't been mentioned elsewhere in the press. Some tidbits that made an impression on me were the following:

• Mary Poppins Returns is the second film ever to have received permission to shoot in front of the Buckingham Palace. The first one was Die Another Day.
• The are are two musical numbers taking place in the animated world. I previously thought it was just one.
• The costume designer hand-painted the fabric of the actors' outfits to create a "watercolor on paper" effect so as to make them blend more with the animation.
• The costume designer fought to keep Mary Poppins in a dress during the Royal Doulton Music Hall number. Rob Marshall wanted to give her pants for that sequence.
• The illustrations of Peter Ellenshaw, who worked on the original film, were used during the opening credits of the sequel.

D82 wrote:
The poster has perhaps too many elements in it, but at least offers us new images.

I like the poster's color palette and Emily's pose but I agree with you; it's too busy and crowded. Less is more when it comes to poster art, in my opinion.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:42 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

I am still very much looking forward to this movie but...

I am absolutely fascinated that Julie has signed on to Aquaman. I predicted she’d turn down the role in MPR, but I didn’t expect she’d do something so... well, shady. The only movie she’s made since 2010 was Despicable Me 3, reprising the character she played in the original. So the choice of this movie, another tent pole movie, which will be released at the same time as MPR (albeit for a slightly different demographic) just seems so deliberate to me. So who called who? Did Warner Brothers say they needed Julie Andrews for the Aquaman movie, or did Julie’s agent call the big studios to try and find an appropriate role for her this year.

I guess Mary Poppins still has some tricks in that carpet bag of her’s.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:24 am 
Platinum Edition

UmbrellaFish wrote:
I am absolutely fascinated that Julie has signed on to Aquaman. I predicted she’d turn down the role in MPR, but I didn’t expect she’d do something so... well, shady. The only movie she’s made since 2010 was Despicable Me 3, reprising the character she played in the original. So the choice of this movie, another tent pole movie, which will be released at the same time as MPR (albeit for a slightly different demographic) just seems so deliberate to me.

I think it's just a coincidence. She wouldn't do something like that out of spite. She's not that kind of person. Besides, if she wanted to be in Mary Poppins Returns she could have. It's not like she wasn't offered a part. There's no reason for her to hold any sort of animosity towards the film.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:54 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

No, it really isn’t a coincidence. This is her first non-Despicable Me movie since 2010. Since Blake’s death she’s basically been in semi-retirement, only choosing passion projects she wants to work on like her Netflix series and directing an Australian production of My Fair Lady. She wanted to do Aquaman, and I don’t think it’s because of the script.

Obviously, she didn’t want to be in Mary Poppins Returns and she’s been very classy and gracious towards the film and casting of Emily Blunt. But perhaps, as she did with her 1981 movie “S.O.B.,” a raunchy comedy that absolutely skewered the industry and specific Hollywood figures, this is Julie’s way of using her craft to let us know what she thinks of the Hollywood industry... maybe this is her way of reminding us that 1964’s Mary Poppins is still out here, that she is still out here. She’s still here, she’s saying.

Because you’re right that Julie Andrews isn’t a spiteful person, but this isn’t a coincidence.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:12 pm 
Limited Edition

The special was wonderful. Really interesting stuff they showed with the hand-drawn sequence, making the songs (which sounded wonderful on the piano), costumes, Dick Van Dyke's cameo role etc. Plus with everyone on social media praising the movie after watching it through screenings, this is shaping up to be a special movie indeed. :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:26 pm 
Platinum Edition

UmbrellaFish wrote:
No, it really isn’t a coincidence. This is her first non-Despicable Me movie since 2010. Since Blake’s death she’s basically been in semi-retirement, only choosing passion projects she wants to work on like her Netflix series and directing an Australian production of My Fair Lady. She wanted to do Aquaman, and I don’t think it’s because of the script.

Maybe she had some other reason for wanting to work on Aquaman we're not privy to. Maybe she thought it would be fun to voice a giant monster. :shrug: Do we know for a fact that at the time she signed on for Aquaman she knew it would be released in the same week as Mary Poppins Returns? If not, it means Mary Poppins Returns wasn't a factor in her decision.

What you're implying makes her look somewhat calculating and underhanded which goes against everything I know about her.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:35 pm 
Limited Edition

I'm with Sotiris on this, I think you're reading this one a bit too deep.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:44 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

It seems Aquaman was announced for a Christmas season 2018 release in March of 2017 (https://deadline.com/2017/03/aquaman-re ... 202044988/), and Mary Poppins Returns was announced for its original December 25th release date in 2016 (https://www.slashfilm.com/mary-poppins- ... ease-date/). Poppins shifted its release date to December 19th in July of this year (https://deadline.com/2018/07/indiana-jo ... 202423959/) which is ample time (I think, I concede you are a much better authority on modern animation and V/O practices than I am) for contracts to be signed and for Julie to step into a recording booth to put down what I guess will be only a few minutes of spoken word. This would also explain the late breaking nature of this “secret” casting news.

Maybe it doesn’t fit one’s perceptions of Julie Andrews, but she’s not Santa Claus, she’s an 83-year old woman in a cutthroat business that throws people to wayside as soon as lose their marketability (read: youth, attractiveness, sex appeal, etc.) and regurgitates the same product over and over again. I wouldn’t read this as some underhanded Machiavellian move— I mean, she’s not a contract player, she doesn’t owe Disney anything much like anytime Alan Menken or an animator leaves Disney to work for another studio or a different project.

But, I digress. Here’s the important thing: Julie Andrews gets to be in a big tent pole movie this Christmas, and on her own terms. And I’m happy for her.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:06 pm 
Platinum Edition

I can believe Julie Andrews might not like that they're making a "new" Mary Poppins after the original was so iconic. I know Angela Lansbury, for example, hated that Disney was re-making the classic Beauty and the Beast (she also openly criticized the almost re-make of Murder, She Wrote with Octavia Spencer). Jeremy Irons similarly seemed disrespected in regards to the Lion King remake. I imagine a lot of these old actors that were a part of these iconic films see the re-makes (or sequels, whatever) the same way many fans do: as Disney taking a dump on great films and great works by the people involved with them all for an easy, quick buck.

Bernadette Peters (Smash) ~ "At Your Feet"
Bette Midler (Gypsy) ~ "Some People"

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:33 pm 
Platinum Edition

UmbrellaFish wrote:
I wouldn’t read this as some underhanded Machiavellian move— I mean, she’s not a contract player, she doesn’t owe Disney anything much like anytime Alan Menken or an animator leaves Disney to work for another studio or a different project. But, I digress. Here’s the important thing: Julie Andrews gets to be in a big tent pole movie this Christmas, and on her own terms. And I’m happy for her.

I'm happy for her too. In no way was I insinuating that she owes Disney anything or that she shouldn't be working with rival studios. I just have a hard time believing she would take on a role, any role, for such a petty reason. I just think something other than Aquaman's release date appealed to her and made her interested in the project.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 823 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 42  Next