DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 282 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mary Poppins Returns
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:04 pm 
Platinum Edition

^Why would they need a rigger if the characters are 2D?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:25 pm 
Limited Edition

Maybe some elements are in 3D or it's made in the style of Paperman. Or maybe it's a mistake, IMDB isn't always a reliable source.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:33 pm 
Platinum Edition

Yeah, IMDb isn't reliable. Maybe they included animators doing VFX in there. I know that the Canadian studio Framestore is handling the VFX for the movie.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:43 pm 
Limited Edition

^ Yes, that's also a possibility.

More news: Meryl Streep will have her own song in the film.

Quote:
Streep gets her own song, penned by Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman, when she welcomes her young guests to her world, which is lived almost entirely in upside-downs and opposites.
Source: http://ew.com/movies/2017/06/12/mary-po ... character/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:49 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Jim Capobianco worked in the story department at Walt Disney Animation before he was hired by Pixar. He was also responsible for the 2D end credits in WALL-E. He directed the short "My Friend the Rat", which has hand-drawn sequences in it, and directed this hand-drawn short film about Leonardo da Vinci.

I think when the article says "Veteran Disney and Pixar artists", it means artists who have worked at those studios. Not necessarily that the studios themselves are working on the sequences.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:03 pm 
Limited Edition

Im not surprised they brought the penguins back and they'll be the centerpiece animated element in the film. Penguins are one of those animals Hollywood deems marketable b/c of their cuteness.

Im glad there will be an animated sequence though and that it will have some 2d elements to it, I just hope it verges on the 2d more than the CGI. Maybe they are using the Paperman technique, though I have no idea why it would be so difficult to just get some traditional animators to do a small sequence by hand. They could certainly use the work.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:07 pm 
Limited Edition

estefan wrote:
Jim Capobianco worked in the story department at Walt Disney Animation before he was hired by Pixar. He was also responsible for the 2D end credits in WALL-E. He directed the short "My Friend the Rat", which has hand-drawn sequences in it, and directed this hand-drawn short film about Leonardo da Vinci.

I knew he directed "My Friend the Rat", but I didn't know or remembered he also worked on these other projects. He has a lot of experience with hand-drawn animation then. The da Vinci short is great, and it's beautifully animated.

estefan wrote:
I think when the article says "Veteran Disney and Pixar artists", it means artists who have worked at those studios. Not necessarily that the studios themselves are working on the sequences.

Yes, it's probably that.

unprincess wrote:
Maybe they are using the Paperman technique, though I have no idea why it would be so difficult to just get some traditional animators to do a small sequence by hand. They could certainly use the work.

They could've given the job to the remaining 2D artists at Disney, given that they don't know what to do with them. Besides, they're some of the best in their field.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:14 pm 
Platinum Edition

D82 wrote:
They could've given the job to the remaining 2D artists at Disney, given that they don't know what to do with them. Besides, they're some of the best in their field.

They're having them give "how to draw" lessons at the D23 Expo now. :eyebrow:

Quote:
Disney animators, including Eric Goldberg and Mark Henn, will show aspiring artists “how to draw” throughout the weekend.
Source: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/2 ... altin-John

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:10 am 
Limited Edition

^ :facepalm: What will be next? Don't get me wrong, I think it's a nice activity to inspire future artists, but Disney doesn't ask other famous CG artists to do the same. They are too busy doing more important things.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:31 pm 
Limited Edition

Quote:

Exactly. Im sure those guys would have been honored to work on characters that were originally animated by one of the Nine Old Men.

My fear is that the guys who are working on it will give the penguins voices and turn them into knockoffs of those annoying ones from Madagascar.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:47 pm 
Limited Edition

Motion poster of Emily Blunt as Mary Poppins:

https://twitter.com/DisneyStudios/statu ... 5342043136

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:03 pm 
Collector's Edition

I did not make it to the Live Action panel at D23 (the queue closed at 4am and I'm too old/high maintenance to sleep on the ground).

I believe they showed tiny bits of song sequences including something with the penguins in it. Has anyone seen any sort of review of the panel that indicates whether they will be 2D or 3D (or even 3D that looks like 2D along the lines of Paperman)?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:12 pm 
Limited Edition

RyGuy wrote:
I did not make it to the Live Action panel at D23 (the queue closed at 4am and I'm too old/high maintenance to sleep on the ground).

I believe they showed tiny bits of song sequences including something with the penguins in it. Has anyone seen any sort of review of the panel that indicates whether they will be 2D or 3D (or even 3D that looks like 2D along the lines of Paperman)?

It seems they will be 2D. Here are some descriptions of the footage shown at the presentation (the bits where they talk about the animated sequences are in bold):

Quote:
As for the footage from the film (which just finished principal photography a few weeks ago), Marshall showed a brief clip from the film — “a little something,” really, which even Blunt hadn’t seen — set to live music from the score, played by co-composer Marc Shaiman and the Disney orchestra.

The footage revealed the morose state of Cherry Tree Lane in London’s slump era, where the Banks family is distraught following the death of Michael’s wife. His youngest son, Georgie, flies an errant kite that gets caught in the clouds, and with the help of Jack, they pull the kite and reveal…Mary Poppins, holding the kite and descending from the clouds! Mary proceeds to bring her brand of magic—including her winking parrot umbrella and magic carpet bag—into the Banks home.

The rest of the footage showed a slew of musical moments, including an undersea bathtub adventure, a musical number where Mary and Jack hop inside a Royal Doulton bowl and transform for a pastel-painted animated performance (featuring those penguins!), Topsy’s upside-down home, and Jack and his fellow lamplighters’ wild ride through London.
Source: http://ew.com/movies/2017/07/15/mary-po ... otage-d23/

Quote:
We also glimpsed a vibrant 2D animation/live-action hybrid sequence, a tap dancing set piece, and plenty of gorgeous costume work from the inimitable Sandy Powell.
Source: http://collider.com/mary-poppins-return ... scription/

Quote:
If anyone was concerned about Mary Poppins Returns not being able to live up to the sequel, I don’t think there’s any reason to worry. It looks faithful as heck, with a whole lot of nods to the original, while seemingly including a whole bunch of new antics and adventures. There are kites, chimney sweeps, addled admirals, dancing on desks, and yes, 2-D animation.
Source: http://uproxx.com/movies/mary-poppins-r ... ge-disney/

Quote:
There were plenty of familiar moments with a new twist: Lin Manuel Miranda's lamp lighter, jack, goes flying a kite and then reels in Mary Poppins; there will be an animated sequence (with what looked like a carousel just like in the first film); the children flew up to the ceilings; there was dancing with chimney sweeps on the rooftops, and Mary Poppins pulled an extremely long feather duster out of the bathroom sink.
Source: http://www.glamourmagazine.co.uk/articl ... mily-blunt

Quote:
The teaser featured a montage of Mary Poppins transforming the Banks home, a song and dance on the ceiling, and a shot of Mary Poppins and Jack (Lin-Manuel Miranda) riding in a car with an animated background and a bird passing by.
Source: http://www.slashfilm.com/mary-poppins-r ... nd-a-half/

Quote:
At one point in the teaser, we see the film's stars acting in front of a cartoon background, as in the original, as well as a look at a big chimney sweep dance number. And most impressively: Original star Dick Van Dyke even had a little dancing to do.
Source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... 23-1021530

Quote:
Other nods to the original included Blunt playing with cartoon birds in her hand and synchronized dancing in the streets of London a la Dick Van Dyke’s original chimneysweep number. Van Dyke himself also made an appearance in the trailer, along with Colin Firth, who plays heartless bank manager Mr Wilkins.
Source: http://deadline.com/2017/07/mary-poppin ... 202129555/

Quote:
It introduces the house and the adult children. Then we see Lightning Jack flying a kite on a cloudy day. The clouds part and he pulls the string in, revealing that it's connected to Mary Poppins, once again flying in from above! There's lots of quick shots of dance numbers, including a massive chimney sweep sequence with more than a dozen dancers. It ends with Jane asking Michael, 'Those things that happened when we were kids? They didn't really happen, right?' But behind them, we see Mary sliding up the stairwell.
Source: http://movieweb.com/mary-poppins-return ... tails-d23/

Quote:
The footage also included glimpses at Julie Walters as the Banks’ housekeeper Ellen, Meryl Streep as Mary’s eccentric cousin Topsy, Angela Lansbury as the Balloon Lady, and Dick Van Dyke (sho starred in the original film in a different role) as Mr. Dawes Jr., the retired chairman of the bank now run by Firth’s character.
Source: http://za.ign.com/mary-poppins-rob-mars ... unt-explai

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:15 am 
Collector's Edition

Thanks, D82!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:26 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

I'm more interested in new things, either original or lifted from the books, instead of stuff rehashed from the original, like the chimney sweepers or the penguins. But I can see why they would screen familiar things at D23...

Dick van Dyke, Angela Lansburry and Meryl Streep sound like highlights. And Emily Blunt is perfect casting.

Of all the sequels in development, this does have the most potential I think.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:33 pm 
Platinum Edition

You know, I saw Julie Andrews on The View a week or two ago and I could understand why she declined to be in this (if it’s more than just distaste for a sequel, I mean). She did not look well at all. I hope she’s alright—she’s always been a class act, just like Lansbury.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:08 pm 
Limited Edition

RyGuy wrote:
Thanks, D82!

Thank YOU for the Robin Hood tracklist and all the info you have shared with us from the D23 expo!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:15 pm 
Collector's Edition

My pleasure. It's nice to be able to give something back to this community. I've learned so much from everyone over the years!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:32 pm 
Limited Edition

New still and some new details:

Quote:
Emily Blunt acknowledges that it’s hard to put in words what it’s like to play author P.L. Travers’ iconic nanny, though “joyful” and “utterly magical” do come up in conversation. Julie Andrews played the role in 1964 and the flying umbrella passes to Blunt for a sequel set in 1930s Depression-era London, where Poppins revisits a now-grown Michael (Ben Whishaw) and Jane Banks (Emily Mortimer) when their family needs her again. Back in the day, a spoonful of sugar helped the medicine go down, but Blunt’s Poppins hews more to Travers’ literary character. “I just loved how eccentric and wacky she is in the books — incredibly vain and rude to the children,” Blunt says. “As a British person, I really responded to that lack of saccharine relationships. I find it comforting the idea of someone just sweeping in who’s no-nonsense and cleaning everything up and making everything right again in a magical way that's not sentimental.”
Source: https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/mov ... 983389001/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:38 pm 
Platinum Edition

When I saw this still, I wondered if Julie Walters was playing Mrs. Banks (Glynis Johns/"Sister Suffragette"), but looking via Wikipedia (which may not be accurate), that's not the case. Which made me realize if Jane/Michael are Wishaw's age, why aren't Mr. and Mrs. Banks still around as grandparents? They weren't that old.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 282 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next