Mary Poppins Returns

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
JTurner
Gold Classic Collection

Re: Mary Poppins Returns

Post by JTurner »

Sotiris wrote:Disney has posted the clip for A Cover Is Not the Book, the worst song in the film.
Really? I quite liked that song. The animation during that scene really sold it for me. And I thought the performances were excellent all around. At first I found Lin's rapping a bit jarring, but I got accustomed to it very quickly. He carried himself well during it.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

At least Emily Blunt got a consolation prize this past weekend for not being nominated to the Oscar; the SAG award for best supporting actress for her work in A Quiet Place.

Regarding "The Cover Is Not the Book", I understand the people who like it and the ones who don't. In my opinion, it's on the verge between being catchy and annoying. At first I wasn't sure I liked it, but later it was one of the songs from the film I was listening to the most.

Speaking of the film's songs, though I still like them, I think I don't find them as good now as I did at first. At least, I haven't been listening to them much lately. But, I don't know, maybe it's just that I did it too much at first and I got tired of them. Or most likely, it's a result of being quite disappointed with the movie, given that it's more or less after I saw it that I stopped listening to the soundtrack. Anyway, I still think the music is one of the best things in the movie.

If I had to rank the songs, I think I would do it more or less like this:

1. Nowhere to Go But Up
2. Can You Imagine That?
3. (Underneath the) Lovely London Sky
4. The Place Where Lost Things Go
5. Trip a Little Light Fantastic
6. A Cover Is Not the Book
7. A Conversation
8. The Royal Doulton Music Hall
9. Turning Turtle
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Oscars to Feature All Five Best Song Nominees On Telecast After All (EXCLUSIVE)
https://variety.com/2019/music/news/osc ... 203125178/
The Motion Picture Academy, responding to a widespread backlash to its initial plan to only spotlight two of the best original song nominees on the Oscarcast, is now planning to have all five nominated songs performed on the Feb. 24 show, Variety has learned.

Earlier today, the Academy tweeted that Jennifer Hudson would perform “I’ll Fight,” the Diane Warren-penned song from the documentary “RBG.” A subsequent tweet announced a “spoiler” that “The Place Where the Lost Things Go” would be “performed by a surprise special guest.” Previously, the plan had been to include only the top 10 hits “Shallow,” from “A Star Is Born,” and “All the Stars,” from “Black Panther.”

Producers last week told representatives for the remaining three nominees that there wasn’t time to perform all five songs in a streamlined show. But now, sources tell Variety that offers have gone out to reps from all five to perform the songs, although in truncated, 90-second form.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

A surprise special guest? It's going to be LMM! rotfl
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Gee, I wonder who the surprise guest is. :lol:

Or could it be Richard Sherman or Dick van Dyke?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

^Maybe Walt himself will rise from the grave to perform the song. :P

The fact that the Academy announced this in a tweet is an obvious response to LMM. I wonder how you all are going to excuse him this time. You're probably going to be "Oh, he had to do it, otherwise they wouldn't have let the Poppins song be performed at all!" :roll:
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I didn't add it to my previous post to not quote the entire article, but I also found this interesting:
Sources say that the nominees were talking among themselves last week and that some agreed that solidarity was important, and that a united front of “perform them all” or “perform none of them” might work as a tactic. Whether that happened is not clear.
Source: https://variety.com/2019/music/news/osc ... 203125178/
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

It seems Sotiris is unable to understand Lin-Manuel Miranda doesn't have anything to with that song. Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman wrote it and Emily Blunt sang it.

This whole thing is a disgrace. My poor Emily! First, they say she can't perform. Then, they give her 90 seconds. I don't blame her for not doing it. Especially since the Academy ignored her amazing work in 'A Quiet Place' and 'Mary Poppins Returns' too.

I'm dying to see how they'll solve this mess. I'm not expecting anyone big for this crappy job.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Old Fish Tale wrote:It seems Sotiris is unable to understand Lin-Manuel Miranda doesn't have anything to with that song. Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman wrote it and Emily Blunt sang it.
I'm aware of that. Tell that to Lin. :wink: For what is worth, I hope I'm wrong. I'd hate for the song to be butchered by his subpar vocals or intolerable rap.
Old Fish Tale wrote:This whole thing is a disgrace. My poor Emily! First, they say she can't perform. Then, they give her 90 seconds. I don't blame her for not doing it.
How do you know she turned them down? They may not have offered her to do it to begin with.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I hope the special guest is Dick Van Dyke, although we already know Miranda can't resist a chance for more camera-time.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

So, guys, please help me out here, is the reason we know Emily won't be doing it because of the surprise special guest? Why wouldn't they have her do it? Was there something that came out and said that they didn't want her to, and she did want to, or that she was passed over, explicitly said?
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

People are hugely rumouring that it will be Julie Andrews ... if it is, I'm sure it would be lovely and wonderful, but what a slap in the face to Emily.

A duet between the two of them, now THAT would be something !
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

I would PAY to see Julie singing that, but given that she refused to even appear in the movie, would she really accept it?
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

It is absolutely not going to be Julie Andrews. I will be surprised if it is anyone but Lin-Manuel Miranda.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

rodrigo_ca wrote:I would PAY to see Julie singing that, but given that she refused to even appear in the movie, would she really accept it?
Yeah, it would be highly surprising. . . . unless she was waiting to see if it would be a success before committing herself to anything to do with it :lol:

I just hope it's Emily or no one else pretty much.
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

Sotiris wrote:
Old Fish Tale wrote:It seems Sotiris is unable to understand Lin-Manuel Miranda doesn't have anything to with that song. Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman wrote it and Emily Blunt sang it.
I'm aware of that. Tell that to Lin. :wink: For what is worth, I hope I'm wrong. I'd hate for the song to be butchered by his subpar vocals or intolerable rap.
Old Fish Tale wrote:This whole thing is a disgrace. My poor Emily! First, they say she can't perform. Then, they give her 90 seconds. I don't blame her for not doing it.
How do you know she turned them down? They may not have offered her to do it to begin with.
So, you don't think he can be mad for his three colleagues? You do realize Disney and ABC are behind this whole thing too, which makes it even more insulting, don't you?

And I know they've asked her because they always ask the people who sang these songs in the films first. It's how you learn Renee Zellweger, Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling refused to do it in 2003 and 2017, respectively. But they had different reasons. I know Emily could do it because I've seen her do it before. But when they go from a flat "no, you won't perform" to 90 seconds, I can't blame her for not doing it.
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

Atlantica wrote:People are hugely rumouring that it will be Julie Andrews ... if it is, I'm sure it would be lovely and wonderful, but what a slap in the face to Emily.

A duet between the two of them, now THAT would be something !
Anyone who thinks they're going to get a legend like Julie Andrews to sing 90 seconds of a song is delusional.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

[bOld Fish Tale[/b], you are coming over as a little aggressive....I know you're passionate about the film, but it's coming over on the thread is a little hardcore !

I love the film just as much, but there are ways of presenting that in a forum that means coming over a certain way is all.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Sotiris wrote:The fact that the Academy announced this in a tweet is an obvious response to LMM. I wonder how you all are going to excuse him this time. You're probably going to be "Oh, he had to do it, otherwise they wouldn't have let the Poppins song be performed at all!" :roll:
Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if Lin had to do something with the Academy suddenly bringing all of the songs back like talking to them about it or something. Did he ask to join Emily? I don't know. I doubt it. Did the Academy invite him to sing or maybe even present it? I don't know. I don't know why people here are painting him to be a attention-whore. He could be, he may not be. We don't know Lin.

By the way, his Good Morning/Good Night tweets happened way before Hamilton. I think right after Into the Heights.
Old Fish Tale wrote:This whole thing is a disgrace. My poor Emily! First, they say she can't perform. Then, they give her 90 seconds. I don't blame her for not doing it. Especially since the Academy ignored her amazing work in 'A Quiet Place' and 'Mary Poppins Returns' too.

I'm dying to see how they'll solve this mess. I'm not expecting anyone big for this crappy job.
Yeah, I feel bad for Emily. The Academy always cuts her down. I think she should have been nominated for The Devil Wears Prada and not Meryl Steep. I loved her performance in that!
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Oscar Intrigue: Did Lady Gaga Force Academy To Fix Song Snafu? Are Last Year’s Actor Winners Being Ignored As Presenters?
https://deadline.com/2019/02/oscars-lad ... 202547403/
Since we’re dishing, here’s what I was told. The producers wanted to limit it to those two songs, and the reason the Academy walked back that decision was because either Lady Gaga herself, or her reps, made it clear she felt it was completely unfair to eliminated the three songs — almost like the Academy producers were forecasting who they thought would win — and that she wouldn’t perform if a change wasn’t made. And that’s why the Academy tweeted that all the songs will be shown, even if the tunes are truncated. Which means Jennifer Hudson will perform the RBG docu theme “I’ll Fight,” along with the Willie Watson-Tim Blake Nelson tune “When A Cowboy Trades His Spurs for Wings” from The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, and the nominated Mary Poppins Returns tune “The Place Where Lost Things Go” will be featured — even though Emily Blunt, who sang in the movie, is apprehensive about singing it live under so much pressure, and another artist will do the song.
Old Fish Tale wrote:And I know they've asked her because they always ask the people who sang these songs in the films first.
Not always. Jorge Drexler, for example, who was nominated and won in 2005, wasn't asked to sing his song because he wasn't considered famous enough by the Academy. The song was performed by Antonio Banderas instead. And, according to the article, that's not the first time that's happened.