Mary Poppins Returns

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Re: Disney to remake MARY POPPINS!

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Sotiris wrote:Is nothing sacred, anymore? Disney has become the sell-out company.
And this is the proof that supports it:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIKhoEIBSxU[/youtube]
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

disneyprincess11 wrote:
Sotiris wrote:Is nothing sacred, anymore? Disney has become the sell-out company.
And this is the proof that supports it:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIKhoEIBSxU[/youtube]
I've ignored Descendants for the most part, but that clip was vile. It looks like the horrific love-child of Glee and some dreary fan-fic found on DeviantArt. I imagine a conversation like this was the impetus:

CHAIRMAN OF DISNEY CHANNEL: Okay, welcome everyone to the meeting on Untitled Disney Channel Franchise Project. First of all, I'd like to welcome to our newest team member, Joel, recently graduated with a master's degree from Harvard Business School.

EXECUTIVE 1: Hi, I'm Joel. I went to Harvard Business School but I really had a passion for movies and I spent every night watching at least one DVD! I'm so happy to be working here with you guys.

CHAIRMAN: So, the mantra is to use old characters in different ways.

EXECUTIVE 2: You mean like Chip n Dale: Rescue Rangers or Tale Spin?

CHAIRMAN: No, no, let's move away from animation. Brand extension is good, but people want something different from the animated classics.

EXECUTIVE 3: Oh, okay. How about if all the fairy-tale characters - you know, Snow White and the seven dwarfs, Pinocchio, Jiminy Cricket, Captain Hook, the Wicked Stepmother, Rapunzel - all got banished from Fairy-tale Land and ended up in a glum, run-down New England township?

EXECUTIVE 2: Good idea, but we've done that for ABC. It's called Once Upon a Time. We've recently had great success putting in Frozen characters, so we're planning to put even more of our most popular fairy-tale characters in - Merida, King Arthur, Shrek, the Ugly Duckling.

EXECUTIVE 1: It's a good idea, though. I love Shrek.

ALL: Yes, we all do. One of Disney's greats.

CHAIRMAN: Yes, I agree.

EXECUTIVE 3: Yeah. Hey, I know. What about making it about the kids of the Disney princes and princesses?

EXECUTIVE 4: Oh, another idea. What about have them go to high school and have to face the Disney villains' children?

EXECUTIVE 2: What, like they're the bullies?

EXECUTIVE 5: Sorry, that would be repetitive in theme in my opinion. Wouldn't Cinderella tell her son not to let people make him clean up after them?

EXECUTIVE 2: I was about to say. If I were Cinderella, I'd tell him to have courage and be kind, but not that kind.

EXECUTIVE 1: I know! Let's make the villains' children want to be accepted and find redemption. They may have to defy their parents in the process!

CHAIRMAN: I like it. That'd add an edginess to it but also a strong moral backbone. You'd please both Republicans and Democrats.

EXECUTIVE 2: But what about different cultures? There's a reason why we don't want them to see that movie with the rabbit in it...

EXECUTIVE 4: What? Roger Rabbit?

EXECUTIVE 2: No, the one with, you know, the fox, and the bear...the ones who we say were created for the log flume.

EXECUTIVE 4: Oh, Song of the South? My grandma in Texas loves that movie!

CHAIRMAN: Okay, you're fired for mentioning the movie that must not be named.

EXECUTIVE 4: Drat.

(SECURITY PERSONNEL drag EXECUTIVE 4 from the room with force)

CHAIRMAN: And to answer the other question: colour-blind casting!

EXECUTIVE 3: I love it!

EXECUTIVE 5: We could add original songs?

CHAIRMAN: Good idea.

EXECUTIVE 1: Don't we have a library of beloved American songbook standards?

EXECUTIVE 2: We could add a remix of some of those songs too!

CHAIRMAN: Brilliant! Now let's get somebody to write it. Make sure they allow adequate product placement and scope for a possible sequel or spin-off movie. Meeting dismissed.

:huh:
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

This article, written as a response to yesterday's breaking news, discusses something I've long thought: the 1964 Mary Poppins is much more faithful to its source than it is ever given credit for.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/comment ... avers-book
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

disneyprincess11 wrote:According to the BWW forums, Emily Blunt is Mary Poppins and it'll be announced soon.
I wouldn't mind it at all. She's my favourite actress and this film has a wonderful screenwriter attached. David wrote the screenplays for 'Finding Neverland', for 'Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day' and for 'Life of Pi'.
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

Emily Blunt is an amazing actress, and just the thought of her as Mary Poppins have made me interested in seeing this movie. Also, the screenwriter are a great catch - I love "Finding Neverland"!
Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

I'm gonna keep an open mind about this. It's a musical, it's based on one or more of Travers' original stories, so far, so good to me. :)
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Since this is happening regardless of what we'd want, it would be cute if Julie Andrews had a small role, maybe as a cook/maid or the bird-woman? I love little callbacks like that in re-makes. Maybe unlikely--I remember hoping the same thing for Lansbury in the B&tB re-make. Oh, well.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Guru
Platinum Edition

Post by Disney Guru »

Disney's Divinity wrote:Since this is happening regardless of what we'd want, it would be cute if Julie Andrews had a small role, maybe as a cook/maid or the bird-woman? I love little callbacks like that in re-makes. Maybe unlikely--I remember hoping the same thing for Lansbury in the B&tB re-make. Oh, well.
Julie Andrews completely retired from acting after her husband Blake Edwards passed away, I think that Anne Hathaway could have made a great Mary Poppins. But will have to see what they do with this.
"I have this tremendous energy. I just loved and love life. I love it today. I never want to die."
~Jayne Meadows Allen~
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

Disney Guru wrote:
Disney's Divinity wrote:I think that Anne Hathaway could have made a great Mary Poppins. But will have to see what they do with this.
I wouldn't mind seeing Anne Hathaway as Mary Poppins either. While I like Emily Blunt--she's quite a good actress--her singing is merely okay. Hathaway is a great actress, has a connection with Julie, and can sing quite well, so she's my choice. Laura Michelle Kelly would be wonderful, too, but I'm not sure if she's known well enough by the general public.

While this film is completely unnecessary, it seems like it's happening anyway. At least the original film will not ever be impacted due to the presence of this film. And, really, no one can hold a candle to Julie.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
Nala
Anniversary Edition

Re:

Post by Nala »

2099net wrote:I think there's a problem with consistancy here. How many people on this forum have said how much they enjoyed the REMAKE of Freaky Friday?

I don't see why a remake of Mary Poppins should automatically be dismissed before anybody knows anything about it?

By all means critisise away if/when you have seen the film, but please show a little more restraint until you can make a valid critisism. No film deserves to be critisised blindly

We know very little about this film - based on the casting I would say that this is more likely to be one of those 'reimaginings' rather than a remake. I doubt for instance that it will be set in London. Do we even know for example that it will include all the famous Mary Poppins songs?

Plus, I know for a fact Disney are joining with Cameron McIntosh to create a Mary Poppins stage production. Could this rumour infact be based around a stage production? Regardless, I can't remember anyone complaining about the news that Beauty and the Beast or The Lion King were going to be mounted as stage productions when each of those were announced.

As I pointed out in another post Chicago is a film of a musical of a film of a film [*] And yet that won best picture. I don't hear anyone critisising that!

If the new Mary Poppins film is made and the film stinks then by all means complain and critisise. But give the film a fair chance and stop prejuding!

[*] Chicago (2002), Chicago - Broadway (1975), Roxy Hart (1942), Chicago (1927)
From what I read, it's not really a remake or sequel. It's Mary's other adventure. They're using the other book for this so I don't think it's really a remake.
My Growing DVD Collection!

http://www.invelos.com/DVDCollection.aspx/Pocahontas

Disneyland Trips: 09/87, 12/08

Walt Disney World Trips: 09/08, 12/09, 06/11, 09/14

Knott's Berry Farm: 09/87, 12/08
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

The name of the thread should really be changed. Every source has said it's set 20 years after the film/book. Considering Walt Disney actually did consider making a sequel, this idea isn't sacrilegious.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
NeverLand
Gold Classic Collection

Post by NeverLand »

I think Anne Hathaway will be a good choice.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eBG8JIGugw[/youtube]
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

Also, Mary Poppins is based on a book. Doesn't mean there can't be more than one movie version. For example, the character of Elizabeth Bennett doesn't belong to just one actress.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Rob Marshall attempts to ease people's fears about the Mary Poppins sequel.
"It is not a new Mary Poppins," Marshall told Vulture last night at the National Arts Awards about his upcoming Disney musical about the iconic nanny. Instead, Marshall's project will be set in 1934, when the original P.L. Travers books were written, and draw from the other books about the iconic nanny. "P.L. Travers wrote eight books all together. They worked from the first book, and we are working from the other books, not touching the iconic brilliance of Mary Poppins. This is an extension. I'm a huge fan of the original, and I'm a very good friend of Julie Andrews, and I hold it in such awe," he said. "There is all this new material — it was the Harry Potter of its time — and they were never turned into anything further than that adventure."

Marshall would love for Julie Andrews, who played the nanny with a bagful of tricks, to be involved. "She is a very dear friend, and if she could be involved in some way, it would be very special," he says. "I know she is very happy that we're doing it and, after 50 years, feels that it is time."
Source: http://www.vulture.com/2015/10/rob-mars ... emake.html
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

tsom wrote:Also, Mary Poppins is based on a book. Doesn't mean there can't be more than one movie version. For example, the character of Elizabeth Bennett doesn't belong to just one actress.
I can only speak for myself, but one of the things about modern Disney that irks me (probably more than it should, if I'm being honest), is that fact that we have multiple versions of the same character. (*edit* If other companies want to take on the source material, be my guest, no huge complaints from me [Other than "Disney is better!"][I am who I am...] But in the "Disney World" (not just the Parks but in the universe of Disney), there is one Mickey Mouse, there is one pair of Chip 'n Dale, etc. Does Disney want there to be multiple girls in the world named Cinderella who have a very, very similar upbringing?? How does Disney want us to process this [or they don't, and I totally overthink this subject]?) Maybe my mindset comes from a theme park visitor perspective: I remember, for example, when Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland was coming out; will we have both Walt's & Tim's versions of the Alice/Mad Hatter/Red Queen/even Dormouse represented? Because, I mean, in the world of either movie, it's not like Johnny Depp's & Ed Wynn's Mad Hatters have tea parties together; no, there is only one Mad Hatter...Does that make sense?

So, saying that, my knowledge about Mary Poppins is pretty mulch nil outside of Disney's version (and [i[Saving Mr. Banks,[/i] however accurate that was. But, when it comes down to it, it's not like there were 2 or 3 or 4 Mary Poppins hanging out in the world. Just one.

Things like the Alice Comedies or Laugh-o-Grams don't bother me, I suppose because those were before the "real" (to me!) versions came out (1951's Alice, etc.).

So, whether we have the Ilene Woods'/Brandy's/Lily James' versions of Cinderella, or Eleanor Audley's/Angelina Jolie's/Kristin Chenowith's versions of Maleficent, or Mary Costa's/Elle Fanning's/Sarah Bolger (OUaT)'s versions of Aurora, Paige O'Hara's/Emile de Ravin's (OUaT)/Emma Watson's versions of Belle, etc., etc., etc. (just to name a few, of course)... To Disney (and their fans), these characters are real. we go to the Parks to meet these characters. The "real," if you will, versions of these characters. So, when there are multiple versions of these characters...what is real/who is real in the "Disney Universe." (I feel like I need Disney Duster's input- I actually was thinking about just this topic the other day but was too lazy to go through the Cinderella (2015) thread, but I may have to, to see how a die-hard Cinderella fan justifies all the different versions of his favorite.)
Sotiris wrote:
"It is not a new Mary Poppins," & draw from the other books about the iconic nanny. "They worked from the first book, and we are working from the other books, not touching the iconic brilliance of Mary Poppins."
But, a quick Wikipedia search shows, Mary Poppins is indeed in every book. So, unless they'd be making a Mary Poppins-less movie, she'd be in there, portrayed by an actress (It would be pretty amazing if Mary Poppins could be portrayed as her "true-if-we-go-from-1964" age by Julie Andrews! I'm all for that, to the extent of "What Would Walt Do?" (I know that he's long gone, but Mary Poppins was *his* film!!!).

Anyhoo, I hope I made some sense... I am probably in the minority here on my strong feelings about the multiple versions of characters, but I hope that my reasoning came through a little...??
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

disneyprincess11 wrote:According to the BWW forums, Emily Blunt is Mary Poppins and it'll be announced soon.
It seems the people at the BWW forums were onto something.

Emily Blunt in Talks to Play Mary Poppins in Disney Sequel (EXCLUSIVE)
http://variety.com/2016/film/news/emily ... 201708706/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

If they must go ahead with this, I still do really think that Emily would be a wonderful fit for it. The only this is, she's pregnant right now ... unless production will take so long anyway it will fit in. Wouldn't that be much like when Walt wanted Julie Andrews for the part, and had to wait until after she'd had her baby ?
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

History will repeat itself! I'm so happy!
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

WOW, WOW, WOW! Did NOT see that coming :o

‘Hamilton’s’ Lin-Manuel Miranda in Talks for ‘Mary Poppins’ Sequel (EXCLUSIVE)

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/hamil ... 201713853/
Disneyphile
Special Edition

Post by Disneyphile »

Disney’s new Mary Poppins movie, starring Emily Blunt and Lin-Manuel Miranda, and directed by Rob Marshall, is finally official! The sequel will be called Mary Poppins Returns and it’ll be released Christmas Day 2018. So, you’d imagine a third film to be called Mary Poppins Forever followed by Mary and Jack, then Mary Poppins Begins, followed by The Mary Poppins, The Mary Poppins Rises and then rebooted with Mary Poppins V Amelia Bedelia.

Blunt will, of course, play the title character and Miranda will be a new character, a lamplighter named Jack. Here’s how Disney describes the plot:

Drawing from the wealth of material in P.L. Travers’ seven additional novels, the story will take place in Depression-era London (when the books were originally written) and follows a now-grown Jane and Michael Banks, who, along with Michael’s three children, are visited by the enigmatic Mary Poppins following a personal loss. Through her unique magical skills, and with the aid of her friend Jack, she helps the family rediscover the joy and wonder missing in their lives.
http://io9.gizmodo.com/disneys-mary-pop ... 1779675630