Mary Poppins Returns

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Captain Hook
Special Edition

Post by Captain Hook »

2099net wrote:
Disneykid wrote:As for Parent Trap, yes, yes, yes! I felt Lindsey was better in both roles than Hayley was, and that's saying something because I love Hayley Mills. The Parent Trap remake overall is more sophisticated than the original and less campy. You really should see it. :D
Hey! I like Camp.

After three...

Let’s get together, yeah yeah yeah
Why don’t you and I combi-ine
Let’s get together, what do you say
We can have a swingin’ ti-ime
We’d be a cra-a-azy team
Why don’t we ma-a-ake a scene
Together, oh oh oh oh

:lol:
I need to go buy it, now that I'll be singing it all day!!!
:lol: :lol:
herman_the_german
Gold Classic Collection

Russian Mary Poppins (Ruscico)

Post by herman_the_german »

Is anybody familiar with the Russian version of Mary Poppins? I saw it on Ebay for like $12.00 and took a chance on it. It is translated as "Goodbye, Mary Poppins" though in my estimation it should be "Au Revoir, Mary Poppins".

It is weird to say the least. I've only seen the first part so far.

The Banks kids watch exercise shows on TV.
Admiral Boom lives in an underground bomb shelter shaped like a submarine.
Mrs. Bank's brother camps out in front of her house and is some kind of hippie, sings protest songs and such. I guess he is supposed to be like the Bert character.
London is pretty much uninhabitted (not much of a budget for extras, I guess).
There aren't many fantasy segments, but if you are in the mood for something slower (and a little bit strange) it is worth a shot.
The Dolphin Boy segment from the novel makes it in. Mary talks to the neighbor's dogs, and there is a fantasy about shopping for groceries.
The first part end with a big fire in front of the Bank's house. They were digging to make a bomb shelter and struck natural gas.

I can't wait for the second part!
...two men say they're Jesus, one of them must be wrong...

My DVD Toon Collection
jeffs854

Say it isn't so

Post by jeffs854 »

Why can't Disney figure out they could make so much money just by bringing the Walt Disney magic to DVD. I personally want to see more of the originals getting the DVD treatment they deserve than more of the remakes modern Disney is so fond of.
Captain Hook
Special Edition

Post by Captain Hook »

Yeah, just look at the live action list - there are TONS of moives to be released that they haven't yet. My biggest complaint, however, is not the remakes, but the movies that have been released on DVD several times, like the Limited Issue into Gold Collection, etc.
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Re: Russian Mary Poppins (Ruscico)

Post by AwallaceUNC »

herman_the_german wrote:Is anybody familiar with the Russian version of Mary Poppins? I saw it on Ebay for like $12.00 and took a chance on it. It is translated as "Goodbye, Mary Poppins" though in my estimation it should be "Au Revoir, Mary Poppins".

It is weird to say the least. I've only seen the first part so far.

The Banks kids watch exercise shows on TV.
Admiral Boom lives in an underground bomb shelter shaped like a submarine.
Mrs. Bank's brother camps out in front of her house and is some kind of hippie, sings protest songs and such. I guess he is supposed to be like the Bert character.
London is pretty much uninhabitted (not much of a budget for extras, I guess).
There aren't many fantasy segments, but if you are in the mood for something slower (and a little bit strange) it is worth a shot.
The Dolphin Boy segment from the novel makes it in. Mary talks to the neighbor's dogs, and there is a fantasy about shopping for groceries.
The first part end with a big fire in front of the Bank's house. They were digging to make a bomb shelter and struck natural gas.

I can't wait for the second part!
I found this Russian version on Amazon, and did a search for it, and found this thread. It does sound weird, but all curiosity over that has been washed away by the contents of this thread....

QUEEN LATIFAH?

I had to check and make sure the date on the thread wasn't April 1st. She's funny, but I'm just not sure what to think of this. I know this thread's old... so has anyone heard anything since? Is there any substance to the rumor? I agree with whoever (I think it was either Loomis or Kelvin) said that it will likely only work if it's done as a spoof. Otherwise, it won't be well-received with the public. But can Latifah spoof in a family-friendly manner? Well, it'll be interesting, I'll give it that.

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
englishboy
Gold Classic Collection

Post by englishboy »

Fortunately they've put this project on hold, until they're able to construct an umbrella large enough to float Queen Latifah around London.
DreamerQ18
Anniversary Edition

Post by DreamerQ18 »

Okay well this piece of information was posted before I was a memeber or even knew about the site so this is a big shcoker to me. I didnt even know they wanted to remake the movie .

Now I am not against remakes i have enjoyed Freaky Friday and the Parent trap I feel that they are movies that have been done well. Great casts and up to dat. BUT there is a difference between these 2 films and Marry Poppins. Marry Poppins is considered a classic with its animation and actors the other 2 films are not. Alos Freaky Friday and pearent Trap were rdone to fit todays way of life the way teenages think and act and even the pranks that younger children have played the times have changed so they wanted to have a more recent version for the audience to realate. Now going on that many people dont have Nannys anymore yes there are the few that do but even so how much more can they monderize it ? I think Queen Lathifa is a great actress and i have nothing aginst her but when I picture her has a nanny I can not help but to think of her role in bring down the house Lol :lol: yes that would be a riot to watch.
Fortunately they've put this project on hold, until they're able to construct an umbrella large enough to float Queen Latifah around London.
Okay this is very funny :lol: but still thats not very nice.
Jake Lipson
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jake Lipson »

Thank God, no, this thread from a long time ago and the rumors surrounding it were the only indication I've ever heard of Disney planning a Mary Poppins remake.

However, they *are* mounting a new stage musical production of Mary Poppins with Cameron Mackintosh (producer extrodinare of The Phantom of the Opera, Les Miserables and Cats, to name a few) which will bow in London's West End in September, which I am greatly looking forward to. I hope it is successful enough to warrent importing to the Great White Way.
<a href=http://jakelipson.dvdaf.com/owned/ target=blank>My modest collection of little silver movie discss</a>
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Yeah, I'm very excited for the Mary Poppins musical. Not that I have a good chance of seeing it anytime soon, mind you, but just that other people will be able to. Hopefully this remake business was all rumor. The idea of Queen Latifah as Mary Poppins does make me laugh every time, so it could make for a good comedy, but I don't see it being able to amount to anything more than a Sherry Bobbins episode, so what would even be the point?

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Uncle Remus
Anniversary Edition

Post by Uncle Remus »

awallaceunc wrote: The idea of Queen Latifah as Mary Poppins does make me laugh every time, so it could make for a good comedy, but I don't see it being able to amount to anything more than a Sherry Bobbins episode, so what would even be the point?

-Aaron
Ah I see someone saw that epsiode on the Simpsons. one of my favorite epsidoes.

Willie(as Bert): Sherri Bobbins? Is that you?
Sherri: Hello Willie.
Lisa: You know her?
Willie: Aye. Me and Sherri Bobbins were engaged to be wed back in the old country. Then she got her eyesight back. SDuddenly the ugliest man in Glasworth wasn't good enough for her aye?
Sherri: It's good to see you Wille.
(Willie stops for a moment, and then starts angrily screaming at Sherri)
Willie: THAT'S NOT WHAT YOU SAID THE FIRST TIME YOU SAW ME!

:lol: cracks me up all the time :lol:
~*Jessica*~

Post by ~*Jessica*~ »

OMG!!! Queen Latifah as Mary Poppins rotfl I hope this is all a rumor. Nothing against QL, but she would ruin the whole movie for me!! Nothing can compare to the original, as it was Walt's version, which gives it more magic. And nothing can compare to Julie Andrews, and Dick Van Dyke. I honestly think that Julie made the movie the success it was.
Never judge things by their appearence; even carpet bags. I'm sure I never do.
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

Uncle Remus wrote:
SDuddenly the ugliest man in Glasworth wasn't good enough for her aye?
That also cracks me up every time, but it's Glasgow not Glasworth!
Ciaobelli
Special Edition

Post by Ciaobelli »

2099net wrote:By all means critisise away if/when you have seen the film, but please show a little more restraint until you can make a valid critisism. No film deserves to be critisised blindly
I think this is a movie that warrants blind criticism
Class316
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Class316 »

They are desecrating Mary Poppins :x

WHAT has Walt ever done to Eisner!!
patriot_americana_love

Lord my God Almighty have mercy on Mary Poppins!! OMG!!!

Post by patriot_americana_love »

:oops:
I feel kinda embarassed now....hopes nobody knows I posted this on Julie Andrews.org and IMDB but I'm trying to collect information and FREEDOM OF SPEECH.
:o :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Link

Another Link

OMG!!! poor, poor mary poppins! Disney have mercy on PL Travers!!! I COULD SCREAM!!! AAAAAHHHHHH!!!!! OMG!!! I AM LITERALLY STARTING TO CRY!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! :jawdrop:
this thing is so real. Its on BBC and on E! online. It started being filmed in March 2000 who knows how long it will take to be published or if it was cancelled or not? I don't know how long movies take to be made.
....now excuse me for a second, *walks into corner and screams*
... WTF??!!!!!
Firstly, MP married with her own kids?!! Why don't you just take a gun and shoot down PL Travers character for cheese sake!!
Secondly, a spice girl and poser as MP? *shivers*
Thirdly, MP as an old lady? In the book it says MP has been around for a hundred years already! Yes, it says somthing like that in MP in Cherry Tree Lane I think.
Fourthly, who in the world would marry my beloved nanny? SHE's MINE!!! :twisted:

...I'm sorry for my reaction to this, but I've been obbsessed with MP for years. :oops:
Andy
Special Edition

Post by Andy »

Your post is all over the place, so its kind of hard to understand what your even going on about. :roll:
But anyway from what i can make out from all of your "omg" "wtf" im guessing your talking about theres apparently going to be a Mary Poppins 2?

Well im guessing this is totally incorrect and since that news article was posted in 1999, thats 6 years ago.....its not going to happen. And also Geri Halliwell has never said anything about playing a role in Mary Poppins 2. Seems just someone wants to start some rumours....
hiiiii
MovieMusicals.net
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MovieMusicals.net »

Relax, that news is from 1999 and nothing has developed since.
patriot_americana_love

Post by patriot_americana_love »

...I'm so embarassed, I hate when I do that!! :oops:
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

You can check out another Mary Poppins remake rumor (this one with Queen Latifah) here: http://www.ultimatedisney.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=779

-Aaron
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Jake Lipson
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jake Lipson »

There was also a rumor a couple years ago that Queen Latifah was to star in an urbanized remake of it. That never happened either, thank God.
<a href=http://jakelipson.dvdaf.com/owned/ target=blank>My modest collection of little silver movie discss</a>