Mary Poppins Returns

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Re: Mary Poppins Returns

Post by Farerb »

So apparently the traditionally animated sequences were made by Duncan Studio, and not by WDAS. That's a shame.
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

Did someone stay until the end of the credits and know if there's any song playing?

In the Brazilian dub there is another version of The Place Where Lost Things Go, sung by the dubbing artists who provided the voices of Mary Poppins, Jack, Jane and Michael. The song is even on the soundtrack album, but there isn't anything like that on the English album and I'm not seeing the movie in English until January :/
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I just came back from seeing it. It was such an amazing movie experience. So original and fresh, and so beautiful. :D First of all, Emily Blunt was the ideal Mary Poppins. I thought there was no way she could replace Julie Andrews, but her performance was really great. Lin Manuel Miranda as Jack was so awesome and really fun. The children were pretty good, too. I really didn't expect to see Karren Dotrice in here, when she appeared, I gasped. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: My friends actually asked, "Are you okay, what happened?".
The music was great. I loved that we heard some notes from the original Mary Poppins in the score, but the songs themselves were some of the greatest I heard in quite a while. I loved that they included the overture as well, and in the same style as the original. I thought that they would go the same route as Beauty and the Beast last year, and only include the overture in the soundtrack, not the movie itself. The opening song performed by Miranda captured the feeling of the movie so well, and I loved that they closed it with the short reprise.

What can I say, I really loved it. I'll be humming the songs for quite some time now. :lol: :lol: :lol:
JTurner
Gold Classic Collection

Post by JTurner »

https://deadline.com/2018/12/aquaman-bu ... /#comments
There is a school of thought that No. 2 could be a three-way race between Poppins, Bumblebee and Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse with $20M. Right now, sources are seeing Disney’s Mary Poppins Returns with a $6.2M first Friday and a projected 3-day of $20M-$23M; by Sunday it’s five-day could be as high as $32M. It’s a musical, it’s going to leg out, and by Sunday could be running as much as 138% ahead of the $13.4M Wednesday through Sunday launch of The Greatest Showman a year ago.
There are some people in the comments snarking at how much it's done so far, rooting for it to bomb. I hope it doesn't; this movie has a lot of appeal to me. That hand drawn animation scene in particular.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

I make a habit of not reading the comments of trade publications like Deadline and Variety, because they tend to attract the most cynical of commenters.

I have also long moved past the point of rooting for a movie's failure. No matter the film, hundreds of people work hard to put a film together and deserve to see their work seen by millions of people. Plus, the more hits a studio has, the better for them. I definitely have my movies I hope do really well at the box-office (Mary Poppins Returns and Into the Spider-Verse are the ones I'm most rooting for this Christmas), but I don't cheer when their competition flops. I haven't seen Aquaman, but I'm really pleased at how well it's doing. Meanwhile, while I rather disliked Mortal Engines, it's still sad to see it do so horribly.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I just came back from seeing this-- it is so magical. I laughed, I cried, I had a blast. The music is so good, too. I absolutely adored how much animation is in this. Great job to all involved in its making!
JTurner
Gold Classic Collection

Post by JTurner »

blackcauldron85 wrote:I just came back from seeing this-- it is so magical. I laughed, I cried, I had a blast. The music is so good, too. I absolutely adored how much animation is in this. Great job to all involved in its making!
Too bad it's going to do nothing to renew interest in 2D animation.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

JTurner wrote: Too bad it's going to do nothing to renew interest in 2D animation.
Maybe...but Rob Marshall was such a champion for 2D for this film...maybe other filmmakers will see how well MPR is doing and all the praise the animation is receiving, and maybe just maybe (even just for scenes within a live-action film) they'll incorporate 2D in their films? #maybe
JTurner
Gold Classic Collection

Post by JTurner »

blackcauldron85 wrote:
JTurner wrote: Too bad it's going to do nothing to renew interest in 2D animation.
Maybe...but Rob Marshall was such a champion for 2D for this film...maybe other filmmakers will see how well MPR is doing and all the praise the animation is receiving, and maybe just maybe (even just for scenes within a live-action film) they'll incorporate 2D in their films? #maybe
Sorry. I was being negative for a moment. But it would be nice.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The movie is coming to home video on March 26th, 2019.

4K Ultra HD

Target exclusive

Best Buy exclusive

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
JTurner
Gold Classic Collection

Post by JTurner »

Isn't it a little too soon to announce a release date like that?
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

New articles:

How Mary Poppins Returns pulled off that animated sequence
https://ew.com/movies/2018/12/21/mary-p ... animation/

7 Easter eggs you might have missed in Mary Poppins Returns
https://ew.com/movies/mary-poppins-returns-easter-eggs/

'Mary Poppins Returns' greatest Easter eggs — including the key callback that unlocks the film's ending (SPOILERS!)
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/mar ... 55720.html

Rob Marshall on Why He Signed an Overall Deal at Walt Disney Studios
http://collider.com/rob-marshall-interv ... s-returns/

Ben Whishaw & Emily Mortimer on ‘Mary Poppins Returns’ and Director Rob Marshall
http://collider.com/mary-poppins-return ... interview/

Lin-Manuel Miranda Says Mary Poppins Returns Can't Improve On Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
https://www.cinemablend.com/news/246404 ... alidocious

Dick Van Dyke on ‘Mary Poppins Returns’ and Dancing at 93
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/21/movi ... turns.html

How 91-year-old Dick Van Dyke danced madly on that desk in 'Mary Poppins Returns'
https://eu.usatoday.com/story/life/movi ... 371100002/
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I love all the covers!
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I wish the first film got a release like that.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Maybe it will, since next year it will celebrate its 55th anniversary. Maybe they’ll re-release it on Blu-ray alongside the sequel.
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Post by Dr Frankenollie »

-
Last edited by Dr Frankenollie on Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Post by Dr Frankenollie »

I thought I’d like it. I do love the original. But it was quite a disappointment. For a film which is – supposedly – put together by lovers of the 1964 original, it is deeply thematically out of step with it. This is a film made by someone who evidently regards the cartoon penguins as more integral to the first feature than Feed the Birds or the character arc of George Banks.

Ben Whishaw’s Michael is a pretty drab and uninteresting figure when compared to his father. David Tomlinson’s George Banks was subtle; a delusional, narcissistic and yet fundamentally decent man, an antagonist for whom we were invited to sympathise with. Michael Banks lacks his father’s depths; we are told he is an artist, yet his vocation never matters and his art never appears. He is too obviously decent to start with for his arc to have any resonance, and his anger at his children is so clearly unusual for him that the whole exercise seems rather unnecessary.

The use of some of the original’s songs in the underscore is nice, especially when it uses some of the lesser-known pieces in the appropriate places (The Life I Lead, The Perfect Nanny, even Fidelity Fiduciary Bank), but the approach serves to underline how confused the writing is when Feed the Birds inevitably appears. It makes its cameo alongside Van Dyke’s, in a scene where Mr Dawes reveals that Michael’s “tuppence” of the 1964 film has accrued sufficient interest to handily resolve this sequel’s plot. This clumsy exposition is not only rather thin gruel to give to Van Dyke, but also comically misses the entire point of the tuppence in the first film. After all, young Michael Banks wants to give it to the Bird Woman rather than the bank, a choice that Mary Poppins explicitly presents as the right one, framing it as a choice between compassion and shallow selfishness. This film thus sides with the villains of the original. It’s clearly an accident, but it’s not an isolated incident. Mary Poppins Returns also sees the adult Jane compare Michael to their father when Whishaw is shouting angrily; this is baffling, considering the fact that the story of Mary Poppins is how their father becomes a better, kinder man. That Jane would remember George Banks as otherwise is a careless error. But there is a possible explanation by the end of Returns: the Balloon Lady remarks, quite startlingly, that “of course, the grown-ups will forget by tomorrow” and Mary agrees. If this is the case, and George Banks went back to his old ways, and Michael is to go back to his, then Mary Poppins and her visits are pointless. If not, then she and the Balloon Lady are talking rubbish – either way, it doesn’t work. The story of Mary Poppins is to remember what it’s like to be a child, and to treasure the time you have with your family. It’s not the story of a fun day out that’s instantly forgotten.

Oh well!
Last edited by Dr Frankenollie on Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RyGuy
Special Edition

Post by RyGuy »

Dr Frankenollie wrote:I thought I’d like it. I do love the original. But it was quite a disappointment. For a film which is – supposedly – put together by lovers of the 1964 original, it is deeply thematically out of step with it. This is a film made by someone who evidently regards the cartoon penguins as more integral to the first feature than Feed the Birds or the character arc of George Banks.

Ben Whishaw’s Michael is a pretty drab and uninteresting figure when compared to his father. David Tomlinson’s George Banks was subtle; a delusional, narcissistic and yet fundamentally decent man, an antagonist for whom we were invited to sympathise with. Michael Banks lacks his father’s depths; we are told he is an artist, yet his vocation never matters and his art never appears. He is too obviously decent to start with for his arc to have any resonance, and his anger at his children is so clearly unusual for him that the whole exercise seems rather unnecessary.

The use of some of the original’s songs in the underscore is nice, especially when it uses some of the lesser-known pieces in the appropriate places (The Life I Lead, The Perfect Nanny, even Fidelity Fiduciary Bank), but the approach serves to underline how confused the writing is when Feed the Birds inevitably appears. It makes its cameo alongside Van Dyke’s, in a scene where Mr Dawes reveals that Michael’s “tuppence” of the 1964 film has accrued sufficient interest to handily resolve this sequel’s plot. This clumsy exposition is not only rather thin gruel to give to Van Dyke, but also comically misses the entire point of the tuppence in the first film. After all, young Michael Banks wants to give it to the Bird Woman rather than the bank, a choice that Mary Poppins explicitly presents as the right one, framing it as a choice between compassion and shallow selfishness. This film thus sides with the villains of the original. It’s clearly an accident, but it’s not an isolated incident. Mary Poppins Returns also sees the adult Jane compare Michael to their father when Whishaw is shouting angrily; this is baffling, considering the fact that the story of Mary Poppins is how their father becomes a better, kinder man. That Jane would remember George Banks as otherwise is a careless error. But there is a possible explanation by the end of Returns: the Balloon Lady remarks, quite startlingly, that “of course, the grown-ups will forget by tomorrow” and Mary agrees. If this is the case, and George Banks went back to his old ways, and Michael is to go back to his, then Mary Poppins and her visits are pointless. If not, then she and the Balloon Lady are talking rubbish – either way, it doesn’t work. The story of Mary Poppins is to remember what it’s like to be a child, and to treasure the time you have with your family. It’s not the story of a fun day out that’s instantly forgotten.

Oh well!
Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I loved the film.

From what I recall, Michael gave the tuppence to his father not the bird woman. Still an act of compassion, albeit inadequate in light of his father’s impending job loss.

As for the adults will all forget by tomorrow line, I took that not to mean that they would forget what they learned so much as the whimsy of the experience - much how like Jane and Michael has hazy recollections of the wondrous things they had experienced as children but then had convinced themselves that couldn’t possibly have happened. In my mind it’s much like how you experience something as a child and you remember it as so much more wondrous than it actually was (like when I visited Griffith Observatory when I was 10 and then again when I was 23 and it wasn’t anywhere near as wondrous as I remembered it).

I always took the original Mary Poppins to be the healing of a fractured family (distracted parents and lonely children) and in this case again healing from a different kind of broken (grieving the loss of the mother separately rather than coming together).
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Wait RyGuy, I'm confused at what you mean by they will remember it fonder than it was. If the adults will forget, you mean they will remember it better than it actually was? I don't see how that fits with the line.