Mary Poppins Returns

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Re: Mary Poppins Returns

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Maybe they're holding back on Mary's character because they want to keep her somewhat enigmatic. It's also possible that becuase this version of the character draws more on the books, where she is sterner and less jovial, that they are purposely putting less attention on her because they might be afraid of backlash from fans of the 1964 movie.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Atlantica wrote:Also I did wonder, as they got Robert Sherman back for Christopher Robin, would they get him back for something on this ? Or is that a bit disrespectful of the new composers I wonder ...
I think there might be some tribute to the music of the original movie in the score, or maybe the characters will sing part of one of the old songs at some point. There could also be a new cover of one of them for the end credits, but I don't think Richard Sherman will write new songs for the film. It's a shame, because even though he's 90 years old now, it seems he's still active and eager to participate in new projects. For Christopher Robin he was asked to do just one song and came up with several. And they were quite good in my opinion.
JeanGreyForever wrote:Maybe they're holding back on Mary's character because they want to keep her somewhat enigmatic. It's also possible that becuase this version of the character draws more on the books, where she is sterner and less jovial, that they are purposely putting less attention on her because they might be afraid of backlash from fans of the 1964 movie.
Maybe it's a little bit of both. For Solo they did that with the title character because of the second reason, and I think it was a mistake. Alden Ehrenreich is not Harrison Ford, but he's still very charismatic and was one of the best things in the movie. If they had featured him more in the promotional campaign, the movie could have been more successful. Here, though, it could work. We'll see if she's more prominent in the first full trailer.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

All good points :up:

I truly don't know what to think with no trailers and just one poster for a Christmas release ?

I wonder if they want to get everything just right before releasing anything to the public. As they know the pressure must be so so high ?
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

How funny, after posting that I logged on to Twitter and the Disney Studios account has uploaded a GIF of Mary looking in the mirror ( from the trailer ) stating that ' In 100 days, #MaryPoppinsReturns

A trailer must be coming soon I should think ....
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

We'll get a new trailer very soon.

https://twitter.com/TheDisInsider/statu ... 4875868161

I think it will play in front of 'The House with a Clock in Its Walls'. So, it should be online next week.
Last edited by Old Fish Tale on Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Post by Musical Master »

YAY! :D
Disney, Pixar, Rodgers and Hammerstein, and Cinema fan
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Emily Blunt talks a bit about the film in this short video: https://uk.news.yahoo.com/emily-blunt-c ... 00742.html
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Apparently a Mary Poppins ride will be coming to Epcot .... but it will be akin to the Dumbo ride, nothing exciting whatsoever :roll:

I wonder if it will be based on Returns or the original ?
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

I can't believe it took them this long to release a second trailer.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Atlantica wrote:Apparently a Mary Poppins ride will be coming to Epcot .... but it will be akin to the Dumbo ride, nothing exciting whatsoever :roll:

I wonder if it will be based on Returns or the original ?
Crap. They planned on a Poppins dark ride and now they're giving us a lame copy of Dumbo.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Disney Duster wrote: Crap. They planned on a Poppins dark ride and now they're giving us a lame copy of Dumbo.
This is my thought exactly. I would have loved to experience Mary Poppins' Jolly Holiday instead of this senseless retread. It was bad enough with Aladdin but it makes even less sense here.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Emily Blunt was the 'only' person who could recreate Julie Andrews' Mary Poppins says director Rob Marshall
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/a ... ppins.html

An Enchanting Guide to the Characters of 'Mary Poppins Returns'
https://www.fandango.com/movie-news/an- ... rns-753402
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Post by Musical Master »

I don't know if anyone's noticed it yet, but the film has been officially rated PG for some mild thematic elements and brief action.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Thank you so much for posting !

I could only watch with the sound off as I am at work, but it looks superb, oh my gosh ! And how they go into the animated / cartoon / fantasy word ? Inspired !

I am so so so excited !
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Post by Musical Master »

First off, that trailer was flat out amazing and it's wonderful to see 2D animation for a major theatrical release again even if it's just for that sequence (the underwater sequence looks lovely too which may be why Rob Marshall is considered to be the director of the upcoming The Little Mermaid remake). Plus that gorgeous poster is really beautiful!

AAAHHH! So excited! :D
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

That trailer is absolutely magical. I am now very much looking forward to this film.

Also, the poster is very much in the vein of the movie posters of many 1960s movie musicals like My Fair Lady, Camelot, and Star!

I can’t wait to see this movie now...
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

The trailer was amazing, much better than I was expecting, but the best thing by far was watching traditional animation in a Disney film again. Hopefully it helps create some interest in the medium again. I also love the style of animation they've used, and that the characters' outfits when they are in the animated world look like painted to make them fit better with the background. I think that was a great idea. It seems they're mixing 2D and 3D in some scenes, though. We'll see how that works. The only thing I think it's going to be a bit difficult for me while seeing the film is accepting Emily Blunt as Mary Poppins and not comparing her to Julie Andrews. She's a great actress and it seems she's doing a good job with the character, but knowing myself, I'm a bit worried about that. By the way, did anyone else think of Madame Medusa when you saw Meryl Streep? And Dick Van Dike looks exactly like the bank director he performed in the first film!
UmbrellaFish wrote:Also, the poster is very much in the vein of the movie posters of many 1960s movie musicals like My Fair Lady, Camelot, and Star!
I knew it reminded me of something and it wasn't a poster for the original film. It's very reminiscent of My Fair Lady's poster. I think it's a great poster nonetheless and I like that they are paying homage to the posters of that era.