Rating the Prince of Disney Princesses!

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
toonaspie
Anniversary Edition

Rating the Prince of Disney Princesses!

Post by toonaspie »

This was a reply for the Heroes thread but it was getting too off topic so I am just gonna start this as a new thread (probably one done before but I cant recall).

We know that the princes of Disney Princesses arent all popular mainly because most of them didnt have personality or character but if I were to rate them as such:

1. Aladdin - (most definitly tops them all but only because out of the six fairy tale films, his was the only film not Princess focused
2. Beast - great character development and personality but he doesnt even have a real name!
3. Phillip - He showed the most personality when he is conversing with his horse Sampson
4. Eric - There wasnt much to his character except for looking for a nice girl and nothing more
5. Charming - no character present
6. SW prince - same as Charming but without a real name this time

Yeah I know that maybe Prince Edward should be in the mix somewhere but I dont know where (in the upper half mostly).

Have fun with this...I think you all know what to do!
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

You forgot John Smith/Rolfe for Pocahontas and General shang Li for Mulan (as far as I am concerned they ARE part of the official Disney Princess canon).

You don't give Philip much credit. He did fight a giant dragon, survive thorns and raced like mad to save his princess. He received help, yes, but he did half of the job.
ImageImageImageImage

Jack Skellington
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jack Skellington »

Walt Disney had difficulty with animating male human characters that's why the SW prince and Prince Charming aren't very prominant characters in his 2 films, they didn't know how to animate them in a releastic way.
I think even Snow White and the Queen were hard to animate if you look at their faces in frontal veiw you'll notice that they don't have defined nose bridges they only show 2 nostrils much like a snake.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I've never disliked the Princes personally, but they seem to get less attention from Disney than the Princesses. Which is to be expected, as Princesses are more "merchandiseable." For some reason, Disney's never been able to develop a strong fanbase with guys (which is the reason for their idiotic XD channel), so they've probably just never bothered with the Princes. Aladdin is a bit different, because he's more of an action, Robin Hood hero. The others seem only required for romance. Anyway, if I'd rank them, it'd be:

1. Aladdin - I think we can all agree he's the best of the bunch.
2. The Beast - He's probably got the most character development for someone without a name.
3. Eric - Seems more down-to-earth than the other Charmings. Still a bit flat though.
4. The Prince
5. Prince Charming - SW and Cinderella's princes are about equal, but I've never found them dull. Just as Aurora is beautiful because that's what she was intended to be, both these princes are charming. I rank the Prince a little higher because he sings "One Song" and also brings Snow White back to life in the end. And, no, it's not creepy that he kissed a possible corpse. (just saying that to particular persons; you know who you are)
6. Phillip - This is personal opinion. Maybe I'm biased, as he reminds me of my grandfather as a young man. And I've never really liked my grandfather... He does have a bit more depth, but not enough to make him superior to the first two princes, imo.

I didn't include Edward because he's not from an entirely animated movie (or a movie I consider classic, for that matter). Edward has a quirkiness that makes him likable and adorable, but he doesn't have anymore depth than The Prince through Eric.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
yukitora
Special Edition

Post by yukitora »

1. Prince Philip - oh I just love him and everything he stands for. He stands for revolution (father, it's the 14th century!), romance, good over evil, courage, protection and diving into thorny bushes.

2. The Beast - It took him awhile, but he found his good side!

3. Prince Eric - uhm... he decided to explore a life outside of his royal life, and has black hair... although he did seem a little shallow: "oh you're mute. You couldn't possibly be my girl! *ignore*"

4. Prince Charming - Based on both the original film and a Twist in Time, he's just a real fun character!

5. The Prince - well, we can't blame him for not doing anything, but by the looks of it, he was simply a Prince Philip prototype. oh well!

6. Aladdin - gosh I can't stand his personality whatsoever. His reluctance, ambivalence,, using his commodities (magic carpet) to impress... ugh. Actually he wasn't that bad at all, I just hate the movie :lol:
Disney's Divinity

yukitora wrote:although he did seem a little shallow: "oh you're mute. You couldn't possibly be my girl! *ignore*"
The Real Eric wrote:Oh. Then you couldn't be who I thought.
Uh...yeah. Everything the film has to offer show's he's not shallow. And, even if you don't want to accept that, it should be some small consolation that the creators tried to make Eric more "normal" (not exact words, but I can't think of a better way to put it at the moment) than the other princes so he seemed nicer/sweeter.

Of course, he can be a bit bland, but I wish people would stop using the excuse that he's shallow when he's obviously not. Because nearly every other prince is exactly like him in the way they found their girl.
Ariel'sprince
Platinum Edition
Location: beyond the meadows of joy and the valley of contentment

Post by Ariel'sprince »

Well,let's see:
Phillip-He great,and his hourse is funny,and someone once told me I kinda look like him.
Prince Charming-I liked how he ignored everyone beside Cinderella,and in Cinderella III he reminds me of Eric.
The Prince-He sneaks into people's gardens (And he's also a pedophile,looks like he has lipstick on his lips and has no name).
Eric-He isn't shallow at all,and I like him.
Beast/Prince Adam (And that's his name Disney's Divinity)-He's great,and I have his figure from McDonalds.
Aladdin/Prince Ali-He's the only one who isn't the heroine's love interst while the other their films's heroes Aladdin is more about him then Jasmine,so he's great.
John Smith-He left Pocahontas,how very mean.
Shang-Kinda annyoing.
Prince Edward-Dumbest prince,but he's funny :lol: and great.
So.... maybe Phillip,but I also like Aladdin,Beast,Edward and Eric.
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

1. Prince Edward
2. Prince Phillip
3. Aladdin
4. The Beast
5. Prince / Prince Charming
6. Prince Eric

I think I've made it clear in the past why I ranked them like so.
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Ariel'sprince wrote:Well,let's see:
Phillip-He great,and his hourse is funny,and someone once told me I kinda look like him.
That's a scary thought.
universALLove
Collector's Edition

Post by universALLove »

Super Aurora wrote:
Ariel'sprince wrote:Well,let's see:
That's a scary thought.
I think he meant Phillip, not the horse :lol: (but I read it like that too :lol: )
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Nick Bryant wrote:
Super Aurora wrote: That's a scary thought.
I think he meant Phillip, not the horse :lol: (but I read it like that too :lol: )
I meant Phillip too.
universALLove
Collector's Edition

Post by universALLove »

Super Aurora wrote:
Nick Bryant wrote: I think he meant Phillip, not the horse :lol: (but I read it like that too :lol: )
I meant Phillip too.
Why's it a scary thought looking like Phillip? He's not that bad :lol:
PrincePhillipFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by PrincePhillipFan »

For me, it's:

1. Phillip
2. Beast/ Adam
3. Prince Charming
4. Aladdin
5. Snow White's Prince
6. Eric
-Tim
Ariel'sprince
Platinum Edition

Post by Ariel'sprince »

Why everyone hates Eric?.
universALLove
Collector's Edition

Post by universALLove »

Ariel'sprince wrote:Why everyone hates Eric?.
I don't think they do. Only PPF and FH put him as their least favourite.
Ariel'sprince
Platinum Edition

Post by Ariel'sprince »

But I remember people here saying he's shallow and a jerk.
Disney Duster

Rate the Disney Princes

Post by Disney Duster »

I don't think Aladdin is the obvious topper of them all, just because you see more of him because he's the title character. He's a big lyer and somehow he rubs me the wrong way.

I'd really have to see all the films again, close together, to really judge this well, but...without that...here we go...

1. Beast/Adam: He's cute and probably my favorite in the looks department (yes, as a prince!), but really he's cute on the inside too. "Didn't shudder at my paw", aw! Before, he was just a vain spoiled child turning away a strange hag. I don't think he abused his servants, maybe worked them over at the worst. It's pretty sad he had "no love in his heart", that's more pitiful than something to hate. I also liked how he yelled, and was beastly, I dunno, maybe because I'm into dominance and beastliness. I'm not sure if I'd really enjoy his personality as a human, though...but none of the princes are really that appealing.

2. Prince Phillip: You know, he really contends with Adam. I mean, he's kind of jerky to his horse and actually that's kind of a turn on, shows he's not always sweet, and it certainly shows personality. I think it would also be great dancing and singing with him. Look at him with his dad! Oh, and he's the most handsome of the Disney princes...though Charming's the prettiest.

3. Prince Charming: He's actually kind of a spoiled jerk himself, but his yawning and eye rolling was really meant for his dad, not the girls...I dunno, did the girls notice? But he's really pretty in certain shots of him, and I guess if you're the right one for him he becomes really sweet. He looks cute in the marriage scene. His original film personality is cute and boyish. But if he was like he was in Twist in Time, he'd probably go above Phillip. Sorry, Tim! Actually, he might even go above Adam.

4. Prince Eric: Well...I like his black hair, and the personality he shows in "Kiss the Girl" looks like I might like him. Although my cosuin pointed out, "Kinda pretty?" like Eric was a big jerk to Ariel. He could switch with Charming though...because his personality seems more fun. This is hard.

5. Prince: Yea, Snow White's Prince. I don't really like...his voice...but I like his very girly, pretty looks. Though it varies from shot to shot. He seems very feminine, so you know, I like that, too.

6: Aladdin: He seems like he would lie and cheat on me! But he is very cute and pitiful at times. But right now, helping me decide where to put him is an image of him taking off on the magic carpet to some adventure without me. Though him being adventurous would make me like being with him, if I went on adventures with him...unless he ignored me to just care about the adventure...

Of course, this could all change. The princes are really all blah and we don't really have a good enough sense of who any of them really are to know who'd be better for us.
Disney's Divinity

Ariel'sprince wrote:But I remember people here saying he's shallow and a jerk.
I don't understand it either. I've never really liked Eric, because he's bland, but I don't see him as the worst in any sense. And I think my comment on Aladdin has just ruined his chances. :roll:

Also, if you're going to dislike Aladdin because he's a liar, you must've missed the second half of the film. It's like hating the Beast for being a beast.
PrincePhillipFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by PrincePhillipFan »

Nick Bryant wrote:Ariel'sprince wrote:
Why everyone hates Eric?.

I don't think they do. Only PPF and FH put him as their least favourite.
I don't hate him per say (I think hate is kind of a strong word), but he just is my least favorite. I admit he's attractively drawn, but physically not really my type. He does have personality and a gentle nature to him, especially in his interaction with Max and Grimsby, but his whole obsession with this voice of a "dream girl" annoys me while he seems to always overlook Ariel, until the Kiss the Girl scene. Then again though, I always had trouble with Eric and Ariel's relationship. I understand that the love of the earlier Disney fairy tale films very much involve "love at first sight, but to me it felt that there was more there to them than Ariel and Eric's, especially since it seemed so one-sided and puppy love-ish. I just always thought it as "cute girl sees hot guy from afar who doesn't know she exists...but trades her entire life away for him anyway." Then when Eric has really any chance to develop a broader personality, he's hypnotized and remains emotionless. Then finally, at the end, we see his personality again and dashes off to Ariel's rescue. But I always felt that it was kind of rushed, as I said before, because he doesn't seem to show any real interest in Ariel until he finds she has the special voice.

I'm not saying he's a horrible character (I know there are a few other characters I greatly dislike more before Eric), but I just didn't care too much for his personality, looks, or character development.
-Tim
Disney's Divinity

PrincePhillipFan wrote:But I always felt that it was kind of rushed, as I said before, because he doesn't seem to show any real interest in Ariel until he finds she has the special voice.
Actually, he does. He falls in love with Ariel and gives up on the dream voice for her. Which is the whole reason Ursula hypnotizes him in the first place.