Pocahontas: 10th Anniversary Edition DVD Press Release

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Looks like it's one of the best 2-disc Disney dvd's. I really like this movie regardless of its flaws compared to other movies from the 90's. I think time has put it into its right perspective and I think it will eventually become a Disney classic. I will definitely get this dvd.
Roklie
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Roklie »

Do you know if the extras are the same in the UK release?
Joe Carioca
Collector's Edition

Post by Joe Carioca »

Roklie wrote:Do you know if the extras are the same in the UK release?
As far as we've seen, it looks like it is going to be identical.
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

ichabod wrote:
Wonderlicious wrote:Oh by the way, my Pocahontas actually arrived early in the mail today. Oh, how I love rubbing salt on wounds...

:wink:
Don't get so smug Wondy! I got the Australian release, which I have had for a good couple of months now! :p
Yeah, well at least I had the guts to not be impatient and buy in my own country when there was only a three month wait! :P
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Well this is very exciting... great press release. The features are going to be a lot of fun. That multi-language reel for "Colors of the Wind" sounds cool. Anyone else think it's a little odd that only 2 songs get the sing-along track? Anyways, I love adding 2-Disc editions of the animated classics to my collection! :D

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
The Little Merman
Anniversary Edition

Post by The Little Merman »

Yeah :D !! I'm so glad I didn't buy the Gold Collection, about a month ago...
Key
Special Edition

Post by Key »

TheLittleMerman wrote:Yeah :D !! I'm so glad I didn't buy the Gold Collection, about a month ago...
I bought mine, opened it, etc. and then only a few days later discovered this site and that Pocahontas would be rereleased as a 2-disc edition in the near future. v.v
Wherever. Whatever. Have a nice day.
Sunset Girl
Anniversary Edition

Post by Sunset Girl »

I refused to buy the Gold Collection version because I believed they would eventually release some kind of special edition with the deleted song. I caved in and bought the UK version of the disc about two years ago just to see the animation for it, but I'll be more than happy to upgrade to the new 2 disc set. Especially since they're putting it back into the film where it belongs!

Can anyone tell me if they're including the bonus feature of Glen Keane comparing Pocahontas' character design directly with Ariel's? Not only is it informative and interesting, it's quite funny!
KinOO
Gold Classic Collection

Post by KinOO »

I think it will as the french release got it! And i confirm it was quite fun especially when he compares his drawing to the real Pocahontas' portrait.
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

Sunset Girl wrote:Can anyone tell me if they're including the bonus feature of Glen Keane comparing Pocahontas' character design directly with Ariel's? Not only is it informative and interesting, it's quite funny!
Yes, It's on the international releases.

I know what you mean, I loved this on the 1 disc version 2 and was soooooooooo happy to see it had been carried over.
akhenaten
Anniversary Edition

Post by akhenaten »

what? no DEHT? this set truly deserves a DEHT. IF mary gets it why can't poca? they should've also kept the Audio Description for the Blind audio track...it's beautiful. :cry:
do you still wait for me Dream Giver?
akhenaten
Anniversary Edition

Post by akhenaten »

just to remind everyone of the awards my fav film won/nominated :wink:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114148/awards
Kram Nebuer
Anniversary Edition

Post by Kram Nebuer »

Sunset Girl wrote:I refused to buy the Gold Collection version because I believed they would eventually release some kind of special edition with the deleted song. I caved in and bought the UK version of the disc about two years ago just to see the animation for it, but I'll be more than happy to upgrade to the new 2 disc set. Especially since they're putting it back into the film where it belongs!

Can anyone tell me if they're including the bonus feature of Glen Keane comparing Pocahontas' character design directly with Ariel's? Not only is it informative and interesting, it's quite funny!
Wasn't Pocahontas's art based on Sleeping Beauty? I remember seeing on the Sleeping Beauty documentary that they talked to the producers or directors or something of Pocahontas.

Anyhow, thank you for the press release, Luke! :) This looks like another great DVD set that I will surely be picking up. I'm glad they have that tidbit on the Central Park Premiere. I had always wondered about it since I heard about it. Also, it's nice to know that this isn't loaded with kiddie stuff. Only one game and one kiddie project and disc two is totally devoted for collectors.
<a href=http://kramnebuer.dvdaf.com/>My ºoº DVDs </a>
Joe Carioca
Collector's Edition

Post by Joe Carioca »

akhenaten wrote:what? no DEHT? this set truly deserves a DEHT. IF mary gets it why can't poca? they should've also kept the Audio Description for the Blind audio track...it's beautiful. :cry:
I second that. The original 5.1 track wasn't bad, but it wasn't very impressive either. It's no surprise they aren't including an EHT track for "Pocahontas", since "Mulan" didn't have one either, but it is a shame, considering "Pocahontas" boasts one of Disney's better musical scores.
stitcharielbeast
Limited Issue

pocahontas

Post by stitcharielbeast »

Am I the only on who thinks Pocahontas should have been part of the Platinum line? I mean If Sleeping Beauty (not the most successful of the Disney fairy tales, but the most stylized) gets to be a Platinum, why can't Pocahontas (not the most successful of the renaissance era-films and not the worst either; but is the first disney animated feature based on historical events) be?
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

Because the Platinums are made up of the best-selling Disney titles. Apparantly Pocahontas was not one of them, hence why it was a Gold Classic title, though Disney seems to think of it high enough to give it SE treatment. I don't know if the same "best selling" principle applies to the four "new" platinums (Pinocchio, Fantasia, Peter Pan, and Sleeping Beauty). Disney's been pretty vague on those. Some believe that they won't be Platinums, but, rather, SE's which include the current Sleeping Beauty disc.
PheR
Special Edition

Post by PheR »

spanish track, twice??? I guess that´s because there are two versions of the film, though just one of them will get the french track.
I'ts enough for this restless warrior just to be with you...
akhenaten
Anniversary Edition

Post by akhenaten »

i too believe pocahontas shouldve been under the platinum line.but im thankful its treated without many kiddie stuffs..if it was under platinum, it wouldve been a victim of such.
TweedlDum9

Post by TweedlDum9 »

Joe Carioca wrote:Disney wouldn't go to the expense of animating an all-new scene and creating a fancy trailer to end up releasing this film with little publicity, like they did with "Alice In Wonderland."
That's the thing, Joe... It's NOT new animation! "If I Never Knew You" DID have a place in the film (when Pocahontas visits John Smith in the hut), but it was cut right before its premiere. So when they say it's "seamlessly integrated," they mean it this time! :-D
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

What Joe means, though, is that Disney took the time and effort to finish animating the scene (a lot of it was in clean-up animation, and a few frames were still in storyboard form). Not only that, but they also animated the reprise of the song, which is now inserted towards the end as Pocahontas and John Smith say goodbye. I have no idea how far the filmmakers originally went with the reprise, so I'm not sure how much effort Disney put into that. Either way, they put too much effort into this to just let it pass by with little-to-no promotion like with Alice in Wonderland.