DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 549 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:28 am 
Platinum Edition

The picture with the script didn't show up for me.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:35 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

I transcribed the text for you :)

In the next script, Gen LeRoy added a lot of new characters and situations. Grefoyle, "a wise and powerful wizard," changes Anton, one of three royal brothers, into a beast for poisoning his older brother, Albert, to gain the throne. Christian, the good-hearted youngest prince, succeeds and is betrothed to Belle. The inept wizard, Lurk is assigned to watch over them when Grefoyle dies.

This Belle is a tomboy and a practical joker. Christian wins her heart but their idyll is interrupted when Anton takes possession of both halves of a mysterious heart-shaped stone. With its power, he turns Christian into the Beast and assumes his younger brother's appearance. He turns Lurk into a mouse and the household staff into animals, insects, and objects. He recruits henchmen by changing vultures and sharks into humans.

After Belle rescues Beast from Anton's dungeon, they fight the usurper together. When he falls of a cliff, the spell on everyone but Christian is broken, he is doomed to remain a Beast forever. He frees Belle from their betrothal, but she stays with him. Although his appearance is described as "vile," she tells him, "I've become very fond of your furry face....You're like a big, cuddly cat." Her love enables him to return to his proper form; they wed and live happily ever after.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:41 am 
Platinum Edition

Oh, thanks for taking the time to do that! I liked the beginning until Anton got the stone. That was one wacky, stupid script! rotfl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:44 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

You're welcome!

It really was lol. Something tells me this BATB wouldn't have become the first animated feature to be nominated at the Oscars for Best Picture if we're really being honest with ourselves here. Thank goodness, Jeffrey Katzenberg had the sense to shoot this script down.

At the very least, we've got an alternative name for the Beast for those who don't believe Adam is his real name.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:06 am 
Platinum Edition

There is no way that version of BatB would be nominated for Best Picture. I don't think Alan Menken or Howard Ashman would want to be a part of it either. I had no idea we owe it to Katzenburg for saving us from such a thing.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:29 am 
Collector's Edition

In my opinion Katzenberg knew how to look at films as a whole and to tell when something fit and when it didn't. He's a jerk but at least he knew what he was doing.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:14 pm 
Platinum Edition

farerb wrote:
In my opinion Katzenberg knew how to look at films as a whole and to tell when something fit and when it didn't. He's a jerk but at least he knew what he was doing.
I’ve never disliked Katzenberg as much as other members have in the past. I dislike Eisner and Lasseter, and to a lesser extent Iger, much more.

I remember reading an article about another man involved at Disney who died a little bit before Katzenberg left Disney, who had always played a somewhat peacekeeper role between Eisner and Katzenberg. I can’t remember what his name was. You can only wonder how different things would’ve been if both he and Ashman had lived longer. :(

Christina Aguilera ~ "Ain't No Other Man"
Kelly Clarkson ~ "Didn't I"

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:23 pm 
Collector's Edition

Disney's Divinity wrote:
farerb wrote:
I’ve never disliked Katzenberg as much as other members have in the past. I dislike Eisner and Lasseter, and to a lesser extent Iger, much more.

I remember reading an article about another man involved at Disney who died a little bit before Katzenberg left Disney, who had always played a somewhat peacekeeper role between Eisner and Katzenberg. I can’t remember what his name was. You can only wonder how different things would’ve been if both he and Ashman had lived longer. :(

You're talking about Frank Wells, he was the President of the Disney Company and he died in a helicopter crash in 1994. His death was what eventually led to Katzenberg quiting/being fired because he wanted Wells' job but Eisner and Roy Disney didn't want to give it to him. Frank Wells has a dedication at the end of the end credits of The Lion King.

Frank Wells and Howard Ashman did play a huge part in the success of the Renaissance and had they lived maybe Disney might have not gone through their post Renaissance era with lesser films and they might have continued being the top studio for animation. Who knows? Maybe even prevent the death of hand drawn animation.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:39 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Another interesting early draft reveals that Belle and her family would have been situated in Germany which is an interesting change of setting from France. BTW, this blog by Disney production designer Hans Bacher has some great stuff for anyone who hasn't checked it out before, including early artwork for BATB and the more European tone they were initially going for.

https://one1more2time3.wordpress.com/20 ... auty-nr-1/
Quote:
I remember the story was a lot different then. DON HAHN, the producer, described to me how he saw beauty’s father riding from the black forest ( in southern germany ), where they lived, to a small harbour town in the normandy ( northern france ), where he was supposed to pick up some goods they were arriving with a ship. well, I tried to explain some minor geographical distance problems. in his typical ‘don-hahn-humor’ he calmed me down, that these little details didn’t really matter, I was just too german accurate. I understood what he meant when I finally saw the film. anyway, during my stay we exchanged a lot of story ideas, like the opening of the film and the ‘magic rose’.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:53 am 
Platinum Edition

Yes, farerb, I agree.

I actually had discovered that guy's blog a while back JeanGrey! He is indeed a great source to know more about how Beauty and the Beast came to be.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:12 pm 
Collector's Edition

I just learned that Belle, The Beast and Chip were presenters at the 64th Academy Awards ceremony.

https://youtu.be/Cktl6oVT9Sw

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:39 am 
Platinum Edition

That's super cool. Only Snow White and Beauty and the Beast have had such special animated in-person presenting at the Academy Awards. Snow White actually appeared in-person twice...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:45 am 
Special Edition

farerb wrote:
I just learned that Belle, The Beast and Chip were presenters at the 64th Academy Awards ceremony.

https://youtu.be/Cktl6oVT9Sw

I love how you can clearly tell yet again this is how Belle and Beast should look color wise. Dark brown hair on Belle, lots of contrast on the Beasts fur variations. The dress not being bright Big Bird yellow. Cracks me up we’re still stuck with this awful restoration.

Either way, very cool to see this, and the animation is lovely.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:01 pm 
Platinum Edition

I've never been fond of the restoration either... I've always wondered if both this and Cinderella (which, admittedly, is much worse) were brightened for the sake of appealing to the little girls who love DPs? But if that was the reason, why wouldn't they do the same to all the princess films? I've always been worried something like that might happen to TLM--and the Platinum did make her tail almost neon green, but thankfully the Diamond/Signature weren't like that at all.

Christina Aguilera ~ "Ain't No Other Man"
Kelly Clarkson ~ "Didn't I"

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:36 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

nomad2010 wrote:

I love how you can clearly tell yet again this is how Belle and Beast should look color wise. Dark brown hair on Belle, lots of contrast on the Beasts fur variations. The dress not being bright Big Bird yellow. Cracks me up we’re still stuck with this awful restoration.

Either way, very cool to see this, and the animation is lovely.

Completely agree. It's a shame we've been stuck with revisionist colors for nearly three decades now.

Disney Duster wrote:
That's super cool. Only Snow White and Beauty and the Beast have had such special animated in-person presenting at the Academy Awards. Snow White actually appeared in-person twice...

Didn't Woody and Buzz appear as well?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:49 am 
Platinum Edition

Oh, I don't know about Woody and Buzz. Can anyone enlighten me?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:02 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

They've appeared at least twice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuLabmyUxQQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LsGJvg3hfU

There's also when Jessie won the Patsy Montana Award.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hz_nwC11mo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:36 am 
Collector's Edition

There is also one with Chicken Little and that Ugly Duckling... :|

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:36 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

There's a thread dedicated to appearances by Disney characters at the Academy Awards. In this post by Sotiris you can find a lot of these appearances. I had never seen some of them, like the first of Mickey and Donald or the one of the A Bug's Life characters, and I had forgotten about others.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:32 am 
Platinum Edition

Wow I was way wrong about who got to present at the oscars.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 549 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next