Beauty and the Beast Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Beauty and the Beast Discussion

Post by Disney Duster »

I feel the Beast's head is proportionate, but that's me.

I am glad you love the 4K of the film, Vlad. I bought it just for the beautiful silvery steelbook. Well, and to have the 4K, but I am so mad about that "Something There" edit!
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I dislike when they try to make Belle look like Christine.

Sicoe Vlad, if you're interested, I wrote about the 4K of Beauty and the Beast here and here.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Thanks, farerb. :)

By the way, do you guys appreciate Human Again? Or do you prefer the theatrical version? (the correct one, not the one with the Special Edition edits).
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I prefer the theatrical edition, but I like Human Again on its own, it's a good song.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Sicoe Vlad wrote:Thanks, farerb. :)

By the way, do you guys appreciate Human Again? Or do you prefer the theatrical version? (the correct one, not the one with the Special Edition edits).
I do enjoy Human Again, but I've never been really sure whether it was essentially a deleted song the directors felt the film worked better without, or if it was cancelled only because of budgetary reasons or time, and that Wise and Trousdale always wanted it in the original theatrical release. If the latter is true, then that technically makes the Special Edition of the film the definitive one as it reflects the film-makers' intentions, despite some changes to continuity in other scenes to ensure consistency. However, if the former is the truth, that would make Human Again an interesting addition but mostly a novelty.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

It's certainly better and a lot more useful than The Morning Report, in The Lion King.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Sicoe Vlad wrote:Thanks, farerb. :)

To be honest, I like Human Again. For some reason I thought it was forgettable at first, but it`s grown on me and I find it to be a captivating and stirring song. I especially like the moment where Belle learns Beast to read. But yeah, it makes more sense to have it in the movie than The Morning Report. Since the latter scene does replace one segment in the movie, unlike Human Again.

Speaking of which, I`m surprised that Disney haven`t marked the 30th Anniversary of Beauty and the Beast. Considering that it`s such a cornerstone from the Renaissance and Disney`s History in general, it`s surprising.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The filmmakers always wanted to include it but couldn't because there were references to a prolonged period of time passing in the original demo. After the song was retooled and the time references removed for the Broadway show, they were able to reinstate it in the film. I'm a fan of the song and the sequence and I agree that it's much better and consequential than The Morning Report. I don't agree though that creators should be allowed to do whatever they want to a piece of art after it's been released to the public. After it gets released, it belongs to the world (figuratively speaking, of course) and the relationship between the original work and the audience needs to be respected. Any changes made need to be supplementary and not substitutional in nature. In filmmaking that means that if key members of the creative team want to change some things, they should be allowed to do so BUT the original version of the film needs to be preserved and remain commercially available and accessible.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Agreed. I don`t hate The Morning Report as a song. But as an extended sequence, it feels superfluous and unnecessary. Mostly because it simply replaces the sequence that was originally. Which was never a problem with Human Again, as it served as it`s own sequence without hampering the movie. While If I Never Knew You somewhat replaces it`s original scene in Pocahontas, at least it doesn`t matter. Since If I Never Knew You was originally in that sequence from the get-go.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I completely forgot about If I Never Knew You. :lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah, that was excellent as well.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Sotiris wrote:if key members of the creative team want to change some things, they should be allowed to do so BUT the original version of the film needs to be preserved and remain commercially available and accessible.
I agree with this so much. I do enjoy "Human Again," and I agree with you all that "The Morning Report" just doesn't cut it and wasn't worth inserting in the film. It replaced the original nice scene and Simba's voice is wrong and bothers me each time.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

If I'm being honest, whether "Human Again" is in the film or not, I usually walk away feeling the same. I love HA as a song though, particularly the choral part at the end. I suppose the film is a little tighter without it, but to me it doesn't harm or add to my overall impression of the movie. Whereas with Pocahontas and Bedknobs, I feel those films need those deleted scenes--and TLK is much better without "Morning Report." So which I watch in regards to B&tB is purely dependent on my mood.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I agree that Pocahontas needs "If I Never Knew You". The romance between Pocahontas and John Smith is not as strong and believable without it.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

is the 4k version like the original 1991 theatrical version with the darker colors? are 4k discs playable on non 4k blu-ray players and tv sets? :|

when I saw the new slipcover I had a feeling it was Paige Ohara's art. I too am not all that crazy about her work, only b/c it looks exactly as bad as my art, lol! :lol: So in a way I guess I cant really criticize her. Though actually I think I might be a tiny bit better at mixing colors to get a a gradient effect. She seems to struggle with how to do that, not that I blame her its not an easy technique to get right. Also Im better with simpler media like watercolors, pastels and colored pencils. Acrylic and oil paints are much harder to master I think

Sotiris wrote:The logos for the film's 30th anniversary.

Sotiris, thank you for posting this logo! I have been trying to find and save these anniversary logos, I think they're beautiful. I haven't been able to find good pictures of all of them but here are the ones Ive got so far:
annilogosnow.png
annilogosnow.png (201.22 KiB) Viewed 2823 times
annilogocindy.jpg
annilogocindy.jpg (58.64 KiB) Viewed 2823 times
well it says the boards image limit has been reached(???) I'll try to post the rest tomorrow.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

so i'm still getting "the board attachment quota has been reached" message so I had to load them elsewhere to post them here:

Mulan

two for Little Mermaid

I could only find a photo of the one for TPATF

these are the only ones I could find online. Did Sleeping Beauty ever get one?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

unprincess wrote:Mulan
The one you posted is actually an attempt at a recreation by a fan. This is the actual logo.

There's also a variant that says "20 years" and not just "20".

unprincess wrote:Did Sleeping Beauty ever get one?
She did, but it's not in the same style as the rest.

Cinderella also got a clipart version of her anniversary logo.

Tangled got an anniversary logo too.

Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I love the ones for Mulan, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, and TP&TF. That drawing of Tiana is so...what's the right word, lush? She looks so great there. The Cinderella one that's not clipart and B&tB's are okay. The others, well...
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Aurora kinda looks like Belle in that anniversary artwork (the eyes and mouth, especially).
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

thanks for the info on the Mulan logo art Sotiris, I didn't notice it wasn't official art. I wish they had made more recreations of the other logos that don't have good quality scans like the Tiana and Cinderella ones. Haven't seen that Rapunzel one, nice find!

Ive seen that one for Sleeping Beauty(I have a dragon Mal plush with that art on the tag) but did include it b/c its very different from the circular logo styles. Its lovely though. The worst is that clip art Cinderella one. They used a "modern makeover" Cindy image for that, bleh.

I found a less grainy pic of the Cinderella logo :
Attachments
annilogocinderella2.jpg
annilogocinderella2.jpg (40.43 KiB) Viewed 2638 times
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

The other Cinderella logo also uses part of the makeover.