DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 577 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:21 am 
Limited Edition

nomad2010 wrote:
I’ve never seen this before, and just happened on it tonight. Someone took what looks like an incredible amount of time to redo the colors for the ballroom scene. I won’t say it’s perfect. A tad bit too contrasts, and Belle’s dress doesn’t have its white highlights back. But it’s astonishingly close. Pay attention to the whites, especially the eyes, and the contrast once they get into the ballroom. Beast is back to having full dimensionality again. Belles hair correct. It really shows the true intent. And it changes the entire scene. What I’d give to have this back.

https://youtu.be/8lV341hOEN4

Also a comparison between the VHS, the restoration, and another persons recreation which really shows the differences.

https://youtu.be/kNUoQBbpyT4

The way he made the scene is really similar to how the film looks on the 35mm.

35mm:

YouTube video:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:31 pm 
Super Genius

farerb wrote:

Where did you get the 35mm photo? I’ve never heard of them doing 35mm screenings of this recently!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:29 pm 
Limited Edition

nomad2010 wrote:
farerb wrote:

Where did you get the 35mm photo? I’ve never heard of them doing 35mm screenings of this recently!

It's from the WIP they provided on the Diamond Edition Blu-ray.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:20 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

farerb wrote:

Does the WIP actually use the original transfer then for the fully completed animated scenes? I've never seen it on Blu-Ray because I think it was relegated to a PIP experience unlike the DVD and VHS.

"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:26 am 
Limited Edition

JeanGreyForever wrote:
farerb wrote:

Does the WIP actually use the original transfer then for the fully completed animated scenes? I've never seen it on Blu-Ray because I think it was relegated to a PIP experience unlike the DVD and VHS.

The PIP uses a 35mm scan (the image is from there). There is no option to view it on full screen.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:12 pm 
Limited Edition

I've just watched the atrocious Jump5 music video from the Platinum Edition. Look at the colors!:
https://youtu.be/-fY_FcCIh3U

I just don't get it, I really don't.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:39 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

I actually always liked that video lol. But especially now because of the accurate colors.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:04 am 
Platinum Edition

farerb wrote:
I've just watched the atrocious Jump5 music video from the Platinum Edition. Look at the colors!:
https://youtu.be/-fY_FcCIh3U

I just don't get it, I really don't.
I remember watching it over and over again because I liked the song. I remember being amazed at how different the colors looked even back then, and wishing the film itself still looked like that. *shrug*

That Jump5 cover was one of the few tween-covers-as-bonus-features I liked. No Secrets' "Once Upon Another Dream" and the Circle of Stars' version of "A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes" were other ones.

Shawn Mendes ~ "If I Can't Have You"
Ed Sheeran & Justin Bieber ~ "I Don't Care"

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:36 am 
Limited Edition

https://youtu.be/pgYEJHJXFB4

This will always be my favorite.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:59 pm 
Limited Edition

I had a chance to watch the film on Disney Plus and I'm happy to say that they fixed the film's colors. The Beast has contrast, Belle's hair is brown instead of auburn. The film has a rich feel of deep blue and purple instead of light blue and pink and the red tint is gone as well. This is the best the film has ever looked since the laserdisc and resemble the DCP I saw last may.
Unfortunately I was saddened to see that the Something There mistake was not fixed. I don't know what to make of this because I really liked the way the film looked but I know that for two seconds in my viewing I'm going to be pissed of.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:09 am 
Super Genius

farerb wrote:
I had a chance to watch the film on Disney Plus and I'm happy to say that they fixed the film's colors. The Beast has contrast, Belle's hair is brown instead of auburn. The film has a rich feel of deep blue and purple instead of light blue and pink and the red tint is gone as well. This is the best the film has ever looked since the laserdisc and resemble the DCP I saw last may.
Unfortunately I was saddened to see that the Something There mistake was not fixed. I don't know what to make of this because I really liked the way the film looked but I know that for two seconds in my viewing I'm going to be pissed of.

Really? I just went and watched because of your posts and it’s definitely the same transfer as the blu-ray. I don’t know if your tv could’ve done it, but my tv and my phone both display it true to the blu-day/platinum colors.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:13 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

nomad2010 wrote:
farerb wrote:

Really? I just went and watched because of your posts and it’s definitely the same transfer as the blu-ray. I don’t know if your tv could’ve done it, but my tv and my phone both display it true to the blu-day/platinum colors.

Exactly the same for me. I only watched it on my phone but the colors were the Blu-Ray Diamond/Signature Edition ones. I didn't notice any improvement or difference whatsoever.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:21 am 
Limited Edition

I watched it on my phone and the app doesn't allow me to take screenshots.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:25 am 
Platinum Edition

:!: How do they get the colors right for Disney+, but not in physical release? :x I'll never be able to subscribe to Disney+, so pity for me. farerb, if they have Cinderella and TSitS on there, let us know how those look when you get a chance. I saw in the Disney Plus thread that TSitS has a new--good--restoration, too. So unfair.

Shawn Mendes ~ "If I Can't Have You"
Ed Sheeran & Justin Bieber ~ "I Don't Care"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:35 am 
Limited Edition

My guess is they used the same master, upscaled it and them corrected the colors because they needed to apply HDR anyway. However I don't know why some have the Blu-ray colors and some have the correct colors. I'm hoping that they'll use the correct one for the rumored 4K release in March.
When I'll get to work in about 3-4 hours I'll maybe try to picture my phone with someone else's and upload it.

I didn't have a chance to view Cinderella and The Sword in the Stone, but I'm guessing that Cinderella is the same since it doesn't have a 4K version.

Another problem I have is that the only way I can get into the app is through VPN, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't and it is very slow.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:00 am 
Limited Edition

I also can confirm that it is indeed 4K:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:27 am 
Limited Edition

So I might not do it at work because it feels weird, but I'm meeting with my family later this evening so I'll do it through one of their phones.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:47 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

farerb wrote:
My guess is they used the same master, upscaled it and them corrected the colors because they needed to apply HDR anyway. However I don't know why some have the Blu-ray colors and some have the correct colors. I'm hoping that they'll use the correct one for the rumored 4K release in March.
When I'll get to work in about 3-4 hours I'll maybe try to picture my phone with someone else's and upload it.

I didn't have a chance to view Cinderella and The Sword in the Stone, but I'm guessing that Cinderella is the same since it doesn't have a 4K version.

Another problem I have is that the only way I can get into the app is through VPN, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't and it is very slow.

That's really odd that some people have new colors for BATB (since apparently people on Blu-ray.com have been talking about the new restoration as well) whereas others are saying that there have been no changes. I'm okay with being one of the unlucky ones who don't get the proper restoration on Disney+ as long as it's released on physical in early 2020. This is likely Disney's last opportunity and I hope they fix the background error too.

I didn't check The Sword in the Stone but Cinderella is the same Platinum/Diamond/Signature Edition restoration. Can't believe we've gotten this same awful transfer three times over.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:04 am 
Limited Edition

I'm hoping that if The Sword in the Stone and The Black Cauldron got new 4K restorations, they'll eventually do for Cinderella and the rest of the films.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:27 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

farerb wrote:
I'm hoping that if The Sword in the Stone and The Black Cauldron got new 4K restorations, they'll eventually do for Cinderella and the rest of the films.

I find it very odd that people are saying that The Black Cauldron and now even TSITS got 4K restorations over the other Walt-era classic films. Maybe Disney started with these two films because they already needed proper Blu-Ray restorations, unlike the other films, so they thought they may as well go all the way and upscale.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 577 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next