The Fox and the Hound Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

The Fox and the Hound Discussion

Post by Wonderlicious »

This has to be my least favourite of Disney's animated features. It doesn't suck totally, but its pretty lacklustre. I can't pin down what I dislike about it, but I think that it may have been better if Walt had made it. With him, it could have been a classic like Snow White or Pinocchio. Without him, it's a cinematic dud.
MickeyMousePal
Signature Collection

Post by MickeyMousePal »

Many don't like Fox and the Hound since Walt Disney didn't produce it but it's one of those underrated Disney Classic I really love the song "Best Friends Forever". This film shows that any race or animal group could be friends but in real life a fox would have killed the hound.
Very well made and produce Fox and the Hound should get a 2 Disc treatment.
The Simpsons Season 11 Buy it Now!

Fox Sunday lineup:

8:00 The Simpsons
8:30 King of the Hill
9:00 Family Guy
9:30 American Dad

Living in the 1980's:
Todd_star
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Todd_star »

I love it very much!
I get this special feeling watching it!
The film is very gloomy, but I enjoy it!
Sh00tingstar
Limited Issue

Post by Sh00tingstar »

This film shows that any race or animal group could be friends but in real life a fox would have killed the hound.
not true- seriously, if the pup had no mum to show him how to kill the fox, and the fox had no mum to show him how to be afraid of the pup, then odds are they would have got along.

animals of different breeds, even enemies, can get along, even foster each others young.

it might not be a lifelong bond, but it does happen more often than you think.
"When the stars fall I will lie awake...You're my Shootingstar..."
toonaspie
Anniversary Edition

Post by toonaspie »

The Fox and the Hound appealed to me cuz you can tell how obvious it was from the animation, music, etc that this film was made in the late 70s/80s. All the Disney films made around that time looked like other cheap films that were made at that time. Still it's a very unique style in animation from that time period: old and dark. It's a beauty all its own.

I was bothered though by the comic relief which once again provided no movement to the story (aka Boomer and Dinky).

I found this old article on SaveDisney.com about what was going on at the studio at the time and the real story behind the film.
DreamerQ18
Anniversary Edition

Post by DreamerQ18 »

The Fox and the Hound was one of those movies that I didnt really care much for when I was younger but now that I am older it seems more appealing for some reson. I especially like the part when they are both young casue they just seem so cute. And love the song best of friends. Its not the best movie ever but it is simple along with the message it delievers. :)
Practical Pig
Limited Issue

Post by Practical Pig »

The Fox and the Hound was the first Disney movie I remember seeing at the theatre and one of the first movies I bought on DVD. I agree it looks bad compared to many other films, but it still has memorable scenes. I believe that it has received horrible treatment. I agree that it looks dark, but I seriously think that they just didn't take the time to clean it up. I can only hope that eventually they will put out an improved version. Even as a fan I couldn't see them making a special edition (not that I wouldn't want one), but they should at least try to restore it better.
Who's afraid of the Big Bad Wolf?
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Compared to the other films of its era, The Fox and the Hound has much better animation. The story is also a genuinely touching one. I really like it and know that it seems to be a pretty popular feature to have been from a "dark age." Very interesting article, Toonaspie!

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
MickeyMouseboy
Platinum Edition

Post by MickeyMouseboy »

if only they would release it in Widescreen................ :x
Lars Vermundsberget
Collector's Edition

Post by Lars Vermundsberget »

MickeyMouseboy wrote:if only they would release it in Widescreen................ :x
I was under the impression that it's as important to release this in widescreen as it is important to release some of the 60s and 70s features in widescreen. Not really necessary, that is.

Some of those seem to have been animated in a format similar to the 1.33 ratio of most video releases and matted for theatrical exhibition. Is F&H any different?
MickeyMouseboy
Platinum Edition

Post by MickeyMouseboy »

Lars Vermundsberget wrote:Is F&H any different?

With Rescuers been 1.66:1 and made before Fox and the Hound. and Fox been made in the 80's and black cauldron and great mouse both been in widescreen why would F&H not be WS? make rescuers in ws , skip and make F&H in FF and then go back to WS for next two features?
Sunset Girl
Anniversary Edition

Post by Sunset Girl »

I love this film, perhaps because it's a little darker, and how Tod and Copper reconcile their friendship in the very end without a word. And the fact that they didn't live happily ever after with each other; I felt that they could have easily stuck them together which would have made the whole thing feel very contrived. As it is, it feels real.

I also like the muted colors in the movie, particularly when Amos watches the Widow Tweed drive off with Tod to the game preserve. You could almost feel the storm coming on!
Lars Vermundsberget
Collector's Edition

MickeyMouseboy wrote:
Lars Vermundsberget wrote:Is F&H any different?

With Rescuers been 1.66:1 and made before Fox and the Hound. and Fox been made in the 80's and black cauldron and great mouse both been in widescreen why would F&H not be WS? make rescuers in ws , skip and make F&H in FF and then go back to WS for next two features?
Well, The Black Cauldron is a different matter - it uses a different process (cinemascope??) and is a lot wider than the others of the period. About The Great Mouse Detective, I think it's animated wider than 1.33 (not quite sure, though) and that any "full-frame" releases of that and later titles are P&S.

But, as I said, most of the "Classics" of the 60s and 70s are treated differently. I thought F&H (released in 1981) was included in that group and that could justify why we've never seen any home video release of that title in other than a 1.33 format. But I could be wrong. Do we know for sure that F&H is any different?
Sunset Girl
Anniversary Edition

Post by Sunset Girl »

Yes, The Black Cauldron is wider than anything else from the era. In fact, it's the only Disney animated feature besides Sleeping Beauty to be shot in 70mm. So basically, that means they're twice as wide as a normal 35mm print. On the other hand, something like Lady and the Tramp was shot in Cinemascope, a different process with a similar effect.

As for the other films from the late seventies/early eighties, I'm totally clueless. Wish I could help you out there! :?
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

okay, so the current version of Fox and the Hound on dvd is not in its original aspect ratio? Is it supposed to be as wide as Black Cauldron or something? I'm really clueless when it comes to aspect ratios :oops:
Sunset Girl
Anniversary Edition

Post by Sunset Girl »

No, the Fox and the Hound isn't nearly as wide as something like the Black Cauldron (I'm sorry if I confused you earlier), but I believe its original aspect ratio would not allow it to fit the "full screen" format. It should be letterboxed if we want to see the whole picture.
Sunset Girl
Anniversary Edition

Post by Sunset Girl »

No, the Fox and the Hound isn't nearly as wide as something like the Black Cauldron (I'm sorry if I confused you earlier), but I believe its original aspect ratio would not allow it to fit the "full screen" format. It should be letterboxed if we want to see the whole picture.
Lars Vermundsberget
Collector's Edition

OAR of some of the 60s and 70 titles has been listed as 1.75:1.

But unless I'm proven wrong (see my previous posts in this thread), a letterboxed version of F&H does not necessarily give you "the whole picture". You could be seeing less. The "full screen" version would indeed be the "full screen".

At least that's how it worked for some of the 60s and 70s Disney Classics and possibly F&H, but as I said, I'm not quite sure about that particular title.

As a rule I'm a proponent of OAR. But in the case of animation that has been matted for theatrical exhibition there's usually nothing wrong in showing the "full frame" instead.
Sunset Girl
Anniversary Edition

Post by Sunset Girl »

Oh, gotcha. I didn't realize that it might be framed that way. Now I'm burning with curiosity. :?
MickeyMouseboy
Platinum Edition

Post by MickeyMouseboy »

like many years Disney has released "The Rescuers" in full frame and everyone though it was full frame until disney decided to release it on Widescreen. actually shows more picture top and bottom. and I know about the dif aspect ratios, Rescuers (70's) and Great Mouse(80's) are both 1.66:1 while cauldron (80's) is 2.35:1 so F&H has to be 1.66:1 not 1.33:1.