The Fox and the Hound Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

DaeLex wrote: This is one of my favs! It has that classic feel to it to me. It kind of reminds me of bambi in some strange way..
The books that inspired Disney to make "Bambi" & TF&tH were both written by the same man, Daniel Mannix, so that probably has a lot to do with it. I agree, though, that the 2 movies remind me of each other. Both have young animals becoming friends, and they grow up (even though the friendship has changed for Tod & Copper...).

I adore TF&tH. It's high on my favorites list. (So much so that I have a Tod & Copper tattoo...) It's just a simple story in a simple setting, with great animation. The songs are some of my least favorite Disney songs (with the exception of "The Best of Friends"), but the songs are so short and are more lessons that are being sung ("Elimination- Lack of Education" & "Appreciate the Lady").

It's worthy to note that in both "Bambi" & "The Fox and the Hound", the main characters are only young for a relatively small fraction of the films, yet most people, when they think of these 2 films, think of young Bambi, Thumper, Flower, Tod, & Copper. I just find that interesting.

The article that toonaspie posted was interesting (even though I found a mistake- TBC was released in 1985, not 1984... :roll:). I thought that "The Aristocats" was the first Disney film without Walt's help, but the article says that " The Fox and the Hound would be the first animated film with which Walt Disney had absolutely no involvement".

The DACs of the 1980s really hold a special place in my heart for some reason...If I had to choose a favorite decade of the DACs, it'd be the 1980s.
David S.
Special Edition

Post by David S. »

The Fox and The Hound is one of my favorite DAC's, a definite Top 10 for me if not Top 5.

The fact that the film is about animals automatically makes me a captive audience, but it goes beyond that.

The story is very appealing to me and I find the simplicity, gentleness, sincerity, and above all, HEART of the film very compelling.

Two scenes in particular stand out in this regard. First, the scene where Widow Tweed brings Tod to the wildlife preserve ("Goodbye May Seem Forever") gets me everytime, and the finale where Copper stands between Tod and Slade's rifle is very powerful as well (a moment which would be used years later in a similar fashion in Pocohantas)

The subplot with Dinky, Boomer, and Squeeks the Caterpillar is very charming and humorous and in my opinion does not distract from the main plot because these scenes do not last very long. It's a way of adding some lighter moments and characters into the story and they do have a purpose since the birds are friends with Tod and Big Mama and in general show what happens around the farm, and who lives there.

One thing I like about the humor in this film is there is a laid back simplicity and innocence to it, by modern standards. It is thankfully not filled with quick quips, putdowns, attempts to be clever, "hip", or "edgy", or attempts to be "relevant to the pop culture" of its day.

There is a warmth that permeates throughout the film not unlike the best of Disney's live action films in the 60's and 70's that involve animals.

Although the film deals with some of the harsh realities of life in at times a bittersweet and realistic manner, this is also done in very touching way.

The Fox and the Hound may not have characters or songs that have become major Disney icons in the public consiousness; but when I think of the heartfelt and heartwarming animated classics that can touch me the most, and payoff on an emotional level, this film is near the top of my list, easily in my Top Ten and a major contender for Top Five DAC's.

David
xxhplinkxx
Collector's Edition

Post by xxhplinkxx »

I would just like to say that this movie is amazing.

I just saw 2 clips of it on YouTube and now I can't stop crying. It's such a great movie that will always be relevant, especially in today's world.

I probably subconsciously avoid watching this movie very often because I know it will make me cry every single time.

:( :cry:

"Hip hop frightens you, doesn't it....Hmmm...Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate. Hate leads to endlessly posting threads about stupid white people. Hmmmmm....."

I love Siren!
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

I'm baffled. :? Did you or did you not like it? I'm not sure whether you're being sarcastic as means of criticising the film or something ...
schoollover
Gold Classic Collection

Post by schoollover »

I saw the fox and the hound on toon disney and i loved it. though I will admit it is so sad, but I still love it.
Walt Disney always belived in quality, bring the quality back.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I always enjoy watching The Fox and the Hound. The humor is my favorite part of the film, with the birds chasing the caterpillar. Big Mama is also a great character, and Todd and Copper’s relationship is nice.

Still, there are a lot of things about it that annoy me. Vixie is the main reason I avoid this film—the ending, at least. I also think the voices for Vixie and adult Todd are really kind of annoying for some reason (the former most of all). Adult Todd’s design also comes off weird, because of his cheeks. Sometimes, like when he came out of the water, he looked sort of like a man with way too much facial hair.

So, for the most part, I like the movie. And it does make me cry when Tweed leaves Todd in the woods.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
xxhplinkxx
Collector's Edition

Post by xxhplinkxx »

Disney's Divinity wrote:And it does make me cry when Tweed leaves Todd in the woods.
Ugh! That's one of the clips I saw yesterday that had me crying like a baby. :(

"Hip hop frightens you, doesn't it....Hmmm...Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate. Hate leads to endlessly posting threads about stupid white people. Hmmmmm....."

I love Siren!
King Louis 2010
Limited Issue

Post by King Louis 2010 »

I adore this movie and consider it the most underrated animated Disney film of all time [it's currently my fifth favourite]. It has a very strong story with a powerful message that was also, the first time I watched it, quite unpredictable towards the end. I also think it benefits from being so small scale- something different from the norm. The animation to my eyes is the best of the so-called 'dark age' of Disney [though granted I haven't Black Cauldron or Great Mouse Detectve yet] and the backdrops like a more muted version of those in Bambi. The whole film's fairly dark look is entirely appropriate to the seriousness of the story in my opinion. The comic attempts by the birds to catch the caterpillar may seem irrelevent to the main plot but no more than, for example, the animal stuff in Cinderella. As for the music, it's not entirely successful-itsounds like a Western movie at times and other times like a 70s TV cop show-while the songs are often so brief they are pointless, but I like the different approach.

There are some great scenes, even if they are more low key than usual for Disney-
-the first meeting of Tod and Copper because Tod was chasing Copper's scent
-when Tod find out what Copper is meant to do, especially like Copper's dream about hunting a fox, quite a scary moment
-the abandonment of Tod in the woods, one of the most tearjerking Disney scenes of all time
-the thrilling bear sequence, here Disney really recaptured some of the fear that had been missing since Sleepin Beauty
-the intelligent and open ending. Leaves you thinking.

In many ways I consider this one of the most mature DACs, and I find it odd that Don Bluth left the production partly because of the softening of the original story. Even Walt himself would have done that- no way he woul have kept the original ending!
blackcauldron85

^ I definitely agree about the animation- definitely some of the most beautiful, both backgrounds and animation, that Disney has done.
Disney Duster

Re: The Fox and the Hound Discussion

Post by Disney Duster »

I borrowed this film months back from a friend and occasional member here, Super Aurora.

I think this film is really, really, really great. Maybe not a masterpiece, but it's truly something fantastic and touching. In a way, it kind of is a masterpiece, because I feel so much for it.

I bawled so much when the Widow Tweed dropped Todd off in the woods. I haven't cried like that in a long, long time. It was really getting to me perhaps more than any recent thing has.

The ending bothers me, that Todd and Copper can no longer be close friends...and that is haunting.

I wish they would have tried to be closer friends in the end. It would still be sad and gloomy, because they would still not be able to be friends like they used to and they would sort of have to do it in secret. But I feel this film deserves accolades and recognition.
King Louis 2010 wrote:The comic attempts by the birds to catch the caterpillar may seem irrelevent to the main plot but no more than, for example, the animal stuff in Cinderella.
I can't agree with that. I don't remember the birds and caterpillar stuff leading to anything in the main story or chatracters of The Fox and the Hound. Every time the animal stuff is used in Cinderella, it connects to the main story and the main characters. The first parts with the mice and Lucifer leads to seeing Cinderella's relationship with her stepfamily and her situation. The next part leads to how Cinderella almost gets to go to the ball but then also how her stepfamily is able to keep her from the ball because she is wearing their things. And finally, the animals set free Cinderella to try on the glass slipper.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Disney Duster wrote:I think this film is really, really, really great. Maybe not a masterpiece, but it's truly something fantastic and touching. In a way, it kind of is a masterpiece, because I feel so much for it.
The Fox and The Hound is a genuinely good film. It may not be perceived as a so-called Disney masterpiece, due to it belonging in the non-Golden era. Yet it's a genuinely heartwarming and charming film on it's own merits. I liked it a lot when I saw it as a child.

The problems with the movie stems from it's vague screenplay, where our title leads doesn't get enough screentime or enhancement together to truly develop. Dinky and Boomer's have been given a caterpillar chase too many and frankly, there are places that could've been woven together better.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

DisneyFan09 wrote:
Disney Duster wrote:I think this film is really, really, really great. Maybe not a masterpiece, but it's truly something fantastic and touching. In a way, it kind of is a masterpiece, because I feel so much for it.
The Fox and The Hound is a genuinely good film. It may not be perceived as a so-called Disney masterpiece, due to it belonging in the non-Golden era. Yet it's a genuinely heartwarming and charming film on it's own merits. I liked it a lot when I saw it as a child.

The problems with the movie stems from it's vague screenplay, where our title leads doesn't get enough screentime or enhancement together to truly develop. Dinky and Boomer's have been given a caterpillar chase too many and frankly, there are places that could've been woven together better.
I'm not a fan of the subplots either. This as well as the godawful songs, the underdeveloped Vixey, and the choice to not kill of Chief. I think if they had gone the more darker route, this film very much could have been the next Bambi as it was touted out to be. Plus maybe we would have seen some Don Bluth films under the Disney name then.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Yeah, my least favorite parts of this film are Vixey and the songs. “Best of Friends” isn’t too bad, just a little cheesy. That “Lack of Education” song has to be near the absolute worst of Disney. And, looking back at my earlier post here, I still am annoyed by Tod’s adult design and Mickey Rooney.

Besides that, I always really liked this film growing up. And you wouldn’t believe the fondness people where I grew up had for the film. Even in school, when we could watch Disney movies, a lot of people would pick TF&tH. A Southern thing, I guess.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yea it is heartwarming and charming, but to me also mostly dark and sombre, in a good way.

Yea, maybe this could have been like the next Bambi. Bambi is a hell of a film though and hard to top.

I actually liked Vixie. Not a whole lot, but I had no problems with her. The songs should be better but I don't mind them that much because they aren't meant to be big productions. I guess Todd and Copper could have been more developed but I can't think of how. The stuff with the birds and the caterpillar didn't bug me but they should have been used better or not at all I guess.

Divinity, hm, interesting people of the South liked it so much.
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

Disney Duster wrote: Divinity, hm, interesting people of the South liked it so much.
If you notice, all of Disney's movies produced by Wolfgang Reitherman seem to have a southern theme. Like the big jazz song in The Aristocats, the casting in Robin Hood, and the main locale of The Rescuers and The Fox and the Hound. Between the Xerography and recycled animation, it revealed a lot about his storytelling sensibilities.

I enjoyed The Fox and the Hound more as a kid, but the movie is just okay. You can sense that they wanted to try something different than the previous films of the post-Walt era, but they wouldn't let themselves leave the sandbox. There's also a definite blending of old and new; the animation of Todd and Copper by Frank n Ollie, and the bear fight animated by Glen Keane.
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

I do agree that this movie feels like a weird mix between tried-and-true methods and new ideas, which is why the reception to the film ends up being so mixed.

In fact, I recently saw this trailer that shows the narrator having a hard time deciding how to market it, complete with an awkward composition of its goofier and more intense moments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFwPyqQy9K0

A new kind of Disney animation, the way they've always done it!
blackcauldron85

"The best of friends make the worst enemies." Banjo music.

rotfl

I love this movie...I think some bittersweet stories should be told. But that trailer...wow. I mean, I guess it kind of is representative of the film- it does have heartwarmingly-adorable animals, slapstick, and action sequences...
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh My Goodness that trailer was terrible! Amy was right about the worst thing abou it! Hilariously bad!
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

Post by DC Fan »

For the people that love/like Fox and the Hound: Explain it to me.

So, ever since I remember THE FOX AND THE HOUND was placed on Disney books. Be them just story books or as part of the history of the company. You know, as a special-important movie. And, overall, people remember it fondly.

I never watched it until I got it for my DVD collection and was quite unimpressed and even makes my list of the worst Disney movies...or at least the ones I don´t like.

-It´s depressing for the sake of being depressing.

...The Hunchback of Notre Dame; take out the Gargoyles and it´s a heavy movie and yet it doesn´t feel like it. As with Pocahontas.

-The animation it´s pretty bad.

...many moments where the characters look like stickers placed on the background.

-The songs are very bland and the actual singer (the owl is the one that sings them) doesn´t sing at all. Whenever she tries to stretch words she runs out of voice. So why have her sing? Either gave her a song she could sing to (like it was done with Robin Williams and even Gilbert Gottfried in The Return of Jafar) or replace her with an actual singer.

-The characters are bland/forgettable

...I´m writing this post while watching the movie and you can see I named the owl as such and not her name as I don´t remember it. The same with all the characters except Tod and Copper.

-The movie is very mediocre overall.

I believe that it´s popularity resides on nostalgia. What´s the merchandise for it? The cubs. I think people just remember that part (that´s the shortest in the movie) and forgot the rest. Because, otherwise, I don´t see people actually enjoying/liking/loving this movie.

if I´m wrong, and you like it, please tell me the reasons why so I can understand.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Re: For the people that love/like Fox and the Hound: Explain

Post by Farerb »

I don't really like it now as I used to and I agree that it's a depressing film. I think it is like it because it was made in bad times at the Disney company. I don't think it's the only film like that, I'll add The Rescuers and The Black Cauldron to that list as well. These films are so bleak that you can see the animators taking all their desperation into them.