Home on the Range

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Joe Carioca
Collector's Edition

Post by Joe Carioca »

It all started with a mouse...
...it all ended with cows.
:(
Uncle Remus
Anniversary Edition

Post by Uncle Remus »

Tangela wrote
The last animated Classic was The Hunchback of Notre Dame.
WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? there has been some other animated classics after Hunchback like Fantasia 2000 and Lilo and Stitch. Hunchback was not the last animated classic.
JaYDiSNeY
Limited Issue

Post by JaYDiSNeY »

Uncle Remus wrote:Tangela wrote
WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? there has been some other animated classics after Hunchback like Fantasia 2000 and Lilo and Stitch. Hunchback was not the last animated classic.
exactly....and there was also MULAN which was SUPERB and HERCULES which was hilarious and millions of years better than Hunchback
~The Magic of Disney~
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Tangela wrote:
Grunches wrote:I heard that this was the last for the antimated classics is that true?
OK... that's a little too critical! Does that mean you dont like Mulan, Tarzan or Lilo & Stitch? You should really question your love for Disney.... ah well, I guess everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion :wink:
Tangela
In The Vaults

Post by Tangela »

All I have to say is... Sorry for the double posting... Also, Home in the Range isn't a Classic because it hasn't even come out yet, books, movie and novels take years to become Classics, so a movie that hasn't even come out cannot be a classic, I don't care what Disney says.

:P

A Classic is something that has been enjoyed by many people over the years, books like Pollyanna by Eleanor H. Porter, Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery and even Charlotte's Web by E.B. White are considered classics because they have been with us for a long time, and have been read and enjoyed by many people, so don't come telling me that a movie people haven't even seen is a classic.

I have spoken.
Tell Chris Johnson that he's Walt Disney and he'll believe it...
-Tangela
I shall be happy if it kills me! Gee Maneese Ow!
-Disneyguru
Disney Guru
Platinum Edition

Home On The Range

Post by Disney Guru »

Yes the movie does have some crude humor!
"I have this tremendous energy. I just loved and love life. I love it today. I never want to die."
~Jayne Meadows Allen~
Jens
Special Edition

Post by Jens »

No it doesn't, I really think the company that rates movies in America is overacting here and I think here in Belgium it will be rated AL (Alle Leeftijden - All Ages). Come on, is "Yeah they're real, stop staring" so crude? I mean, kids see and hear a lot more these days.
Prince Adam
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Adam »

Although the upcoming CG projects will techinically be features, I won't consider them to be. I'll take them as "Other Animation"-a phase Disney is going through and will eventually have to grow out of.

I will only consider Snow White-Home on the Range the animated classics/features. Then, once Disney gets their act together and does a hand-drawn, classic fairy tale adaption of Rapunzel, then I'll start again.
Defy Gravity...
Mushu2083
Special Edition

Post by Mushu2083 »

The Lizzie McGuire movie got a PG rating for "mild thematic elements" but when I saw the movie in theaters, I saw no "mild thematic elements". Unless you want to count Lizzie and Gordo kissing at the end (sorry if I ruined the ending for any that have not seen the movie yet). I didn't really get why The Lizzie McGuire movie got a PG rating. Anyone care to take a guess? Anyone?
Dragon, not lizard. I don't do that tongue thing.

Lilo: I'm not touching you!
Stitch: TOUCHING ME!
Squirrel
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Squirrel »

Uncle Remus wrote:Tangela wrote
I agree. Fantasia 2000 and Lilo & Stitch were wonderful! They're my #3 and #1 Disney films, respectively. And I really liked Brother Bear, too. And Mulan and New Groove were good. In my opinion, anyway. They're certainly deserving of being classified as "animated classics." :)
Meega na la queesta.
static & silence and a monochrome vision
Joe Carioca
Collector's Edition

Post by Joe Carioca »

If released today, a lot of the films from the 90s would get a PG rating... The Lion King, Pocahontas, Hercules, Mulan and specially The Hunchback.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Squirrel wrote:
Uncle Remus wrote:Tangela wrote WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? there has been some other animated classics after Hunchback like Fantasia 2000 and Lilo and Stitch. Hunchback was not the last animated classic.
I agree. Fantasia 2000 and Lilo & Stitch were wonderful! They're my #3 and #1 Disney films, respectively. And I really liked Brother Bear, too. And Mulan and New Groove were good. In my opinion, anyway. They're certainly deserving of being classified as "animated classics." :)
Tarzan, anyone? lol, seriously, though I love Hunchback, it was wrong of Disney to release it. I think the serious themes of the movie did a lot of damage to Disney. So as a 'cartoon' films like Mulan, Tarzan and Lilo & Stitch are way better. I wouldnt call Hucnhback the last 'classic'. Disney has definitely released better ones after Hunchback.. (just my opinion of course :P )
Mr. Toad
Diamond Edition

Post by Mr. Toad »

Mulan, Lilo and Stitch, Fantasia 2000 and Emprors New Groove are all superior to Hunchback. Especially if you know anyhting about literature.

Hunchback was a travesty against the great book of the same name and entirely missed the point of the entire story.
Just Myself
Platinum Edition

Post by Just Myself »

I think Brother Bear should have been rated PG for "Some Violence and Mild Thematic Elements". I thought it was more needing of a PG than either Lilo and Stitch and Treasure Planet. I think the last Disney movie that was G and deserved it was Hercules.
Cheers,
JM :thumb:
Grunches
Special Edition

Post by Grunches »

Jens wrote:No it doesn't, I really think the company that rates movies in America is overacting here and I think here in Belgium it will be rated AL (Alle Leeftijden - All Ages). Come on, is "Yeah they're real, stop staring" so crude? I mean, kids see and hear a lot more these days.
But still Disney isn't about crude humor. It is suppose to be a family nice clean film.
Tangela
In The Vaults

Post by Tangela »

Grunches wrote:
Jens wrote:No it doesn't, I really think the company that rates movies in America is overacting here and I think here in Belgium it will be rated AL (Alle Leeftijden - All Ages). Come on, is "Yeah they're real, stop staring" so crude? I mean, kids see and hear a lot more these days.
But still Disney isn't about crude humor. It is suppose to be a family nice clean film.
Yeah, lately Disney has done too much comedy, it's becoming boring and what's worst of all, their comedies aren't even funny, just dull.
Tell Chris Johnson that he's Walt Disney and he'll believe it...
-Tangela
I shall be happy if it kills me! Gee Maneese Ow!
-Disneyguru
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Joe Carioca wrote:It all started with a mouse...
HAhaha, well put.

About the PG thing, I remember hearing talk of Lion King "should" have been PG back when it came out by a lot of people, but I wasn't one of them. I don't see why anyone is debating how crude HOTR is yet- no one has seen it. However, it is my opinion that the single line of "they're real, quit staring" does warrant a PG rating, or it just should have been left out. I think it's funny, but I'm just not sure that it belongs in a Disney animated classic... a line like that would never have flown in Snow White. But that's what comes along with Disney overdoing comedy. Each one is good by itself, but as a whole, Disney has too much an emphasis on comedy.

Mushu2083 wrote: Unless you want to count Lizzie and Gordo kissing at the end (sorry if I ruined the ending for any that have not seen the movie yet).
I'm one of those people. :( An advance spoiler warning would have helped.

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
MickeyMousePal
Signature Collection

Post by MickeyMousePal »

Disney made PG movies recently to attract teenagers, but it's not working so stop it. Home on the Range won't do good at the movies I already know but, I will still watch it.
The Simpsons Season 11 Buy it Now!

Fox Sunday lineup:

8:00 The Simpsons
8:30 King of the Hill
9:00 Family Guy
9:30 American Dad

Living in the 1980's:
Mermaid Kelly
Anniversary Edition

Post by Mermaid Kelly »

awallaceunc wrote:
Joe Carioca wrote:It all started with a mouse...
HAhaha, well put..
Yea I like that too, but If we are talking about animated classics, it all started with an apple :)
awallaceunc wrote:I don't see why anyone is debating how crude HOTR is yet- no one has seen it..
Well I bought the sing- along and that shows clips from the movie and it shows that Maggie uses a lot of "crude humor".
BUT that's a good thing!!!! It's nice to have variety. And I think that whole thing with the "Yea they're real, quit staring" is great!!!! :lol:
awallaceunc wrote: a line like that would never have flown in Snow White.
Of couse not! But this movie is intended to be funny, and from what I've seen, I think its turning out to be. :)
Image Image
Squirrel
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Squirrel »

awallaceunc wrote:However, it is my opinion that the single line of "they're real, quit staring" does warrant a PG rating, or it just should have been left out. I think it's funny, but I'm just not sure that it belongs in a Disney animated classic... a line like that would never have flown in Snow White. But that's what comes along with Disney overdoing comedy. Each one is good by itself, but as a whole, Disney has too much an emphasis on comedy.
Yeah.

Though comedy has always been an element of Disney's animated classics, mixed in with the drama, romance, action, et cetera ... lately, some of their films have been such that they could actually be classified as primarily comedies. Though Beauty and the Beast had comedy in it, it's mainly a romance. The Lion King was mainly a drama (and a romance, as a secondary classification).

But New Groove was mainly a comedy. HOTR is mainly a comedy. And zany comedies at that (Lilo wasn't "zany," to me). And while I like New Groove, and am looking forward to HOTR, I think Disney does romance and drama better than full-out, zany comedy. Not that I'm complaining about the variety, but ... and I considered Lilo & Stitch to be more a sort of romance (a familial kind, and the relationship between Lilo and Stitch), and then a comedy after (but the comedy was secondary). It looks like in HOTR, the comedy will be primary ...

And it looks like Chicken Little will have the very "smart-funny" dialogue, like Pixar films have.

I was actually surprised Brother Bear didn't get the PG. What with the deaths, Kenai going after the bear, et cetera. But G was fine, I guess. I didn't have a problem with Lilo getting it (PG), as I think it helped Lilo & Stitch, to have a PG (that, and its genius advertising and prime summer date, and the fact that it was just such a great film! :) In my opinion, anyway...) And I'm sure that Stitch did better with teenagers than Brother Bear did, or Treasure Planet did, or Home on the Range will do ... so, maybe a PG rating will attract older audiences, and more people, but it won't do it by itself; Stitch was a strong, appealing character ... and while I loved Brother Bear, I don't think Koda or Kenai have the popular appeal that Stitch does.

I hope Home on the Range does well, though, at the box office. I'm eager to see it. I haven't been anticipating it as much as Brother Bear and Lilo & Stitch, necessarily, but I'm excited ...
Meega na la queesta.
static & silence and a monochrome vision