Atlantis: The Lost Empire Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Re: Atlantis: The Lost Empire Discussion

Post by JeanGreyForever »

D82 wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:Pretty sure this article has been posted before but here it is for anyone interested.
https://animatedviews.com/2014/buried-t ... -planet-2/
Thanks for posting that article! It was quite interesting. I think I had seen it posted before, but I hadn't read it. It sounds like it would've been more or less decent for a DTV sequel, though I don't mind much that it wasn't made. I don't know if it was the norm with these sequels or not, but I'm surprised that all the original cast was going to return, plus Willem Dafoe as the new villain. I'm also surprised they started working on the sequel so early. They were already going to start recording the dialogues when Treasure Planet underperformed in its opening weekend and they decided to cancel it.
I think the majority of the Hunchback cast returned for the Hunchback sequel and the Aladdin cast pretty much all did except for Robin Williams who had his own personal grievances with Disney. The BATB cast returned for the sequel as well save for Chip's voice actor for obvious reasons. And also with The Little Mermaid cast for Return to the Sea minus Eric and Flounder. They used to be able to get big actors for the cheapquels back then like Patrick Stewart in the Bambi sequel so I'm not surprised about Willem Dafoe. It's a shame for Treasure Planet especially since the film did much better on DVD.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

D82 wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:Pretty sure this article has been posted before but here it is for anyone interested.
https://animatedviews.com/2014/buried-t ... -planet-2/
Thanks for posting that article! It was quite interesting. I think I had seen it posted before, but I hadn't read it. It sounds like it would've been more or less decent for a DTV sequel, though I don't mind much that it wasn't made. I don't know if it was the norm with these sequels or not, but I'm surprised that all the original cast was going to return, plus Willem Dafoe as the new villain. I'm also surprised they started working on the sequel so early. They were already going to start recording the dialogues when Treasure Planet underperformed in its opening weekend and they decided to cancel it.
Yeah, I really wish it had already been too far along to cancel it outright. :lol: I know the TV series still wouldn't have happened, but I would've liked to have at least seen the sequel.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

JeanGreyForever wrote:I think the majority of the Hunchback cast returned for the Hunchback sequel and the Aladdin cast pretty much all did except for Robin Williams who had his own personal grievances with Disney. The BATB cast returned for the sequel as well save for Chip's voice actor for obvious reasons. And also with The Little Mermaid cast for Return to the Sea minus Eric and Flounder. They used to be able to get big actors for the cheapquels back then like Patrick Stewart in the Bambi sequel so I'm not surprised about Willem Dafoe. It's a shame for Treasure Planet especially since the film did much better on DVD.
OK, then it isn't that strange that the original cast for Treasure Planet was back for the sequel. They probably made a mistake cancelling it. If the original film did well on DVD, the sequel could've sold well too.
Disney's Divinity wrote:Yeah, I really wish it had already been too far along to cancel it outright. :lol: I know the TV series still wouldn't have happened, but I would've liked to have at least seen the sequel.
Yeah, if work on the sequel had been more advanced, probably it would've been too late to cancel it, but it seems the real production hadn't started yet. They had just finished pre-production.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

D82 wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:I think the majority of the Hunchback cast returned for the Hunchback sequel and the Aladdin cast pretty much all did except for Robin Williams who had his own personal grievances with Disney. The BATB cast returned for the sequel as well save for Chip's voice actor for obvious reasons. And also with The Little Mermaid cast for Return to the Sea minus Eric and Flounder. They used to be able to get big actors for the cheapquels back then like Patrick Stewart in the Bambi sequel so I'm not surprised about Willem Dafoe. It's a shame for Treasure Planet especially since the film did much better on DVD.
OK, then it isn't that strange that the original cast for Treasure Planet was back for the sequel. They probably made a mistake cancelling it. If the original film did well on DVD, the sequel could've sold well too.
I agree, the sequel would have sold well and the TV show would likely have done decently. However, I can understand why Disney cancelled so prematurely since this was their biggest box office flop since The Black Cauldron. I don't think they had any box office disaster of this magnitude until John Carter later on.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Making Waves: The 20th Anniversary of “Atlantis: The Lost Empire”
http://www.animationscoop.com/making-wa ... st-empire/

Producer Don Hahn Explores the 20 Year Legacy of Atlantis: The Lost Empire
https://d23.com/producer-don-hahn-explo ... st-empire/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Coming 10/12:

thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

My French friends say Atlantis is considered a classic there and made a whole lotta money. Glad to see it was recognized for having one of the best princesses, Kida! Da Frog Princess aint got nothing on her.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Producer Don Hahn Explores the 20 Year Legacy of Atlantis: The Lost Empire.
https://d23.com/producer-don-hahn-explo ... st-empire/
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Zolton the Magician?!? What!!?? (Did you guys know? I don't remember him at all when reading about the film, but my memory stinks.) And where is this online 20,000-fan group? I'm glad Atlantis is getting the love.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

blackcauldron85 wrote:I'm glad Atlantis is getting the love.
Me too! But I`ve probably said this many times before, so I won`t repeat myself about it ;)

Atlantis: The Lost Empire's 20th Anniversary Finale - Cast & Creative Team Interview (6/17/22)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIRnP6vbdXs
blackcauldron85

^ Thank you for posting that! I emailed the link to myself since I won't be awake to watch it tonight!
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

You`re welcome :) Apparently it`s not the only video streamed, since another similar video was made last year with the rest of the cast and crew: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecABcThwkW4&t=6453s
blackcauldron85

Thanks for letting us know- I emailed that to myself too!
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

You`re welcome :)
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

New artwork at the Royal Banquet restaurant at Disneyland Hotel in Disneyland Paris.

Source: https://twitter.com/InsideDlpCastle/sta ... 9640562972
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Wow, those were lovely pictures :). But it`s highly remarkable how Atlantis is included among them. Cause yes, it`s perhaps due to how it includes an actual Princess who isn`t among the official lineup. Could it be a sign that Kida will be acknowlegded among the Official Princesses (which is not the same that she would be included in the Franchise)?
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

That's actually a really pretty picture.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
twihard
Limited Issue

Post by twihard »

this is actually a really good movie. I used to read online that it had become a cult film and i didn't even understand what that term meant. I thought it meant a witch movie lol. now I make special effort to rewatch it and it really feels like a 90s Disney movie but with action scenes instead of songs. its nice to see Disney movies get rehabilitated like Bambi and Alice did