ALADDIN: RETURN OF JAFAR and KING OF THIEVES Press Release

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Evil Genie Jafar
Anniversary Edition
Location: Humacao, Puerto Rico; there's more to PR than San Juan!

Post by Evil Genie Jafar »

Knowing Prince Phillip, I think he means in general, the character of Aladdin is often cheated out of his deserves. Therefore, the whole franchise usually suffers. I mean, Aladdin enthusiasts like Prince Phillip and I would have really liked to see a cover art with a huge headshot of Aladdin around the title screen, like all the other Platinums. Instead, Genie gets the limelight again. Also, when Genie isn't the star of the franchise, they pivot off of Jasmine and get the movie in the "Princess" line-up. That leads to mixed marketing, with few items focusing on the hero himself. I think the DVD is great, the art is sufficient, if not good, and I don't plan on buying the sequels, so I'm not as upset as he is. :wink:
Yeah, this is what we mean by that. This is the puzzle I bought in Spain. Could you tell (from the characters shown) who's not shown?

PS

Ariel doesn't look like a mermaid but a human .
Last edited by Evil Genie Jafar on Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Evil Genie Jafar
Anniversary Edition

One thing I want to mention. The only really good thing of THE RETURN OF JAFAR was the cover:

Is there any chance that Disney could keep it for the Dvd? (if they coud fix the carpet to look like the original Aladdin just for the cover it would be perfect.) Altough I doubt it since Disney is selling a 2 pack; at least for the insert.

On the other hand I really would like to see a new version of Aladdin and the King of Thieves. It sucks big time!

"You're only second rate!"
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

The first UK DVD release had a different cover.

We don't know what the cover for the new individual release will look like yet.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
Evil Genie Jafar
Anniversary Edition

2099net wrote:The first UK DVD release had a different cover.

We don't know what the cover for the new individual release will look like yet.
Even though, BOTH are baaaaaaaad. :x

"You're only second rate!"
SofaKing381222
Anniversary Edition

Post by SofaKing381222 »

Does any one know if it will be 2 discs is one case. or 2 diffrent cases or one disc 2 movies or what?
We need season sets of all DCOSs and all DCOMs on DVD! And Better Cover Art!

My DVD's / My Space
That1GuyPictures
Gold Classic Collection

Post by That1GuyPictures »

The cover art for the set has been unleashed at the following link.
I think it looks pretty great to me!

http://www.animated-news.com/archives/00002673.html

Looks pretty legit and finalized to me!
Jack
Collector's Edition

Post by Jack »

Hey, cool cover art! ROJ is a little busy, but I like it. KOT's cover is obviously Indiana Jones inspired. :up:
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

So I guess this clarifies that it's 2 discs and they're not packaged together in any particular way apart from the flimsy 2-pack cardboard slip.

With a marketing campaign as big as <i>Stitch! The Movie</i>, how can they go wrong?!
"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president
toonaspie
Anniversary Edition

Post by toonaspie »

Hmm...They dont look too good

I think there's much scattering going on with the RoJ cover and lots of empty space on the KoT cover
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

:x They got Jafar's hat wrong again! :x
MutantEnemy
Special Edition

Post by MutantEnemy »

Sorry, posted picture of cover art but its old news now...
toonaspie
Anniversary Edition

Post by toonaspie »

HAHAHAHA!!!!

Seeing the "starring Robin Williams" line on that always makes me laugh. Just imagine what it says about Disney's marketing strategy for that film!

At least it wont be on the DVD release
SofaKing381222
Anniversary Edition

Post by SofaKing381222 »

I personally love the covers. They are perfect! I like them just the way they are!
We need season sets of all DCOSs and all DCOMs on DVD! And Better Cover Art!

My DVD's / My Space
That1GuyPictures
Gold Classic Collection

Post by That1GuyPictures »

I like the cover of Return of Jafar...
it has some of the old artwork reused in it,
which I'm always a sucker for using original artwork...
(It reminds me of my childhood!)
and as for The King of Theives,
I don't like it a ton, but It'll do.
DEREKG
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DEREKG »

I also hope they give Return of Jafar better treatment. The VHS was pretty poor. Nevertheless glad to see them being released on dvd format! :D
DreamerQ18
Anniversary Edition

Post by DreamerQ18 »

The Cover art looks intreasting not at all how I pictured it really but I am excited to see these movies on DVD I love the Aladdin movies thanks for the link That1GuyPictures :) .
orestes.
Anniversary Edition

Post by orestes. »

Ah I've been looking for this topic. :)

I'm looking forward to this even if I haven't seen King of Thieves (but I have read it). I enjoyed Return of Jafar so someone told me if I liked that then I would most certainly enjoy KoT.

The extras are not impressive at all and it doesn't look like much time was spent putting this together but I'm glad they'll be on DVD.

I'm guessing they will have a trilogy box set for this one eventually for anyone who will want all three. I already have the Aladdin gift set so if they come out with that I'll pass.

At first I actually though it would be packaged as two diss in one case but noope and I'm glad of that.

About those covers... bleh... they could have done better. I like the Return of Jafar VHS cover a lot. ah memories.... in grade 8 my teacher loved movie posters and I sat right next to the Return of Jafar poster and I daydream a lot so I have a fondness for it.

I think I mentioned all that I wanted to and did it all in one post. I'm learning after 6 posts for the Bambi press release! :roll:
<a href="http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=orestes" target="_blank">my wonderful dvds.</a>
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

My review probably won't be done until sometime tomorrow, but it's worth pointing out that despite what the press release said, <i>King of Thieves</i> is in the same oddly-framed 1.85:1 aspect ratio it appeared in for the recent Region 2 reissue.
Key
Special Edition

Post by Key »

Wow, I can't believe I never commented on how hideous the R2 KoT cover is (although the R1 cover isn't that much of an improvement). :o Jasmine looks downright frightening!

P.S. Luke, does that mean that KoT will be given a pseudo-widescreen? Was the OAR supposed to be 1.33:1? :?
Wherever. Whatever. Have a nice day.
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Check out http://www.ultimatedisney.com/forum/vie ... php?t=5554 for screenshots of the R2 release.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database