The Emperor's New Groove

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Re: The Emperor's New Groove

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

Well, like I mentioned in the first post, for me it only made it confusing since I didn't know what I was looking at, if it was the past or the present or something else.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Re: Emperor's New Groove

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Sotiris wrote:Yeah, I agree. While I love the film we got I can't help but wonder what it could have been. Kingdom of the Sun had great potential. I still believe it could have been salvaged if the studio stuck with it long enough.
So do I, actually.

Sorry for bumping this thread, I just came across it and wanted to reply.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

DisneyFan09 wrote:
Sotiris wrote:Yeah, I agree. While I love the film we got I can't help but wonder what it could have been. Kingdom of the Sun had great potential. I still believe it could have been salvaged if the studio stuck with it long enough.
So do I, actually.

Sorry for bumping this thread, I just came across it and wanted to reply.
Same. As funny as Yzma is in the final product, I would replace her anyday to have her as a traditional Disney villain. I know Eartha Kitt was disappointed that the character was altered in the final movie because she thought the original version was far superior. And of course, Andreas Deja left the project as well, although we got him on Lilo, so maybe that wasn't the worst thing after all.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

So i think i got a good idea for a live action retelling ofthis Disney movie that would still be fresh.

So it’s a live action reimagining of the Empires New Grove that starts a few years earlier than the original. And it retells the story from Yzma point of view with Bette Middler , Barbra Streisand or Carol Burnett playing Yzma in the movie while actress Carol Kane from the Princess Bride narrates the whole movie as present day Yzma. And the movie tells the supposedly true story of what happened and how Yzma was really a misunderstood hero and Kuzo the Villain.

However here is the big crux of the movie. While the narrator( present Yzma) and the movie Keeps insisting she was really the hero and this what really happened. It’s obvious to the viewer that Yzma is either twisting what really happened or just make stuff up which would be the big joke of the whole movie.

This Yzma spin off would a spoof of movies like Maleficent and Cruella and Stories like Wicked that turn the Villain of pre existing story Into the hero.

But it would also be a satire on Fans of certain media who sometimes try to argue the Villain was right all along pr even the true hero of the story.

One of the most utagagest cases being Black Panther fans who say Michael B Jordan’s character. In evil terrorist was right all along.

But the movie would also be a subtle commentary on how media sometimes turns criminals to heroes in the public mind.

It would be based something well know, But still be fresh, very funny and slightly topical !

The whole package

My Choice for Director would be Barry Sonnenfeld who excels in twisted comedies and often World with Patrick Warburton the original voice of Krock which would be a sure fire way to get Warburton to reprises his ionic role from the original. Of course with some deagening CGI Effects Since he is older and part of the story is a prequel.

The movie with be similar in tone to the two 90s live action Addams Family movies, the Netflix show , A Series of Unfortunate Events and Edward scissorhands. However I wouldn't hire Tim Burton because his style wouldn’t what imagine this movie to be and getting Robert Stromberg would be too obvious and I believe he has Zero directing experience in feature films outside Maleficent.

For the tittle i have two ideas. One : simply call the movie Yzma and have a similar logo and title font to The upcoming Joker movie and make the posters look like it's going to be serious character study of Yzma or call it Yzma’s New Groove and exactly the same logo as the original movie but purple and created the original movies poster but with Yzma instead.

And i even have trailer ideas Use a dark cover of either Snuff of The Light or Perfect World like Lana del Rey's cover Once Upon a Dream or use an existing song but with a completely different context than the original and use the songs lyrics to ironically to just pose what happens in the trailer.

I think it would be funny if even trailers and internet spots made the movie look like it is going to be a serious dramatic Oscar bait movie about the psychology of Yzma even if doesn't manage to actually fool anybody into actually thinking that. Just the idea of e serius Royal Intrigue movie or historical drama but with Yzma would be hilarious within itself.

That is my idea for a live action Emperor's New Groove i think it’s a rather clever one.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

Oh come on, don't drag Wicked down, that one is genuinely good. And I'm interested in what the Joker movie will be, if anything because I'm tired of superhero movies being so predictable and childish.
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

thedisneyspirit wrote:Oh come on, don't drag Wicked down, that one is genuinely good. And I'm interested in what the Joker movie will be, if anything because I'm tired of superhero movies being so predictable and childish.
LOL. You got it all wrong. Ilove Wicked too and Joker is my most anticipated movie of the year. But you can still satirize and parody stuff you like. In fact Mel Brooks said it's best if you love what you parody.

Who would doubt Mel Brrok's oppinon on the subjectt of comdey. I just meant a ight spoof and really goods ttuff can be the subjectt of satrie too.

I just thought since Emperor's groove was a comedy to start with using it's remake to parody a current hollywood and fiction trend would be fitting and also i have no idea what you could really do with an Yzma movief otherwise and love Yzma so i silll really want her to get a spin off !

I am proud of my iea in fact i think itis clever and both capilze on the orgginal whilie still being fresh.

I even mostly liked Maleficent besides the bad casting choice of Sharlto Copley and the way they mishanald the three good fairies.
And i doinät mean make them useless trhatä's actually a clever i mean majing to of them younfg instead of old women for no reason at all.

Also i wish thry hadn't meshed so much with movie in reshoots. After bad test screeings 20 minutes of the movie where cut and a whole begining was shoot in eight days by John Lee Hancock. Beacuse the test audince disliked the frist 20 minutes of the movie and Disney cared enough to change Maleficent's whole back story and scarp the orgianl frist part of Linda Woolverton's screenplay all together.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

5 Facts About The Emperor’s New Groove
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFus_YzZYdg
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I never noticed the foreshadowing cactus llama!!! And I knew that Eartha was Catwoman, but I don't think I put 2 and 2 together!
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Her role as Catwoman being the reason she became a cat is the only one of these I didn't know. I'd never thought about it either.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

I just learned something very Interesting , Adam West used to have a role in this movie, it was actually recorded. But then later cut.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Articles in honor of the film's 20th anniversary.

KuzcoDystopia: The Origins of “The Emperor’s New Groove”
https://www.laughingplace.com/w/article ... ew-groove/

Mark Dindal Talks About Directing “The Emperor’s New Groove” and “Chicken Little”
https://www.laughingplace.com/w/article ... ent-recap/

Adam West Was Cut from “The Emperor’s New Groove” And Other Facts Revealed in “Disney Movie Insiders Presents” Debut Podcast
https://www.laughingplace.com/w/article ... s-podcast/

From Drama to Llama: The 20th Anniversary of “The Emperor’s New Groove”
http://www.animationscoop.com/from-dram ... ew-groove/

How 'The Emperor's New Groove' Was Nearly Canceled and Wound Up a Cult Classic
https://collider.com/the-emperors-new-g ... explained/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

It's sad Deja never got to do a proper villainess. I don't know, I think the finished Yzma is still one of Disney's best, even if it's more in a Madam Mim vein than the Queen, the Stepmother, Cruella, etc. A shame he didn't stay with the character.
blackcauldron85

I wish I had looked at the WDFM schedule because I would have loved to listen to Mark Dindal's interview. The production of both TENG & Chicken Little are very interesting (to me at least).
blackcauldron85

Read this super-long, amazing article!!!

‘We’ll Never Make That Kind of Movie Again’
http://www.vulture.com/article/an-oral- ... roove.html
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

blackcauldron85 wrote:Read this super-long, amazing article!!!

I can't read the article, it says I've reached my monthly article limit. But it's almost February, so I guess I'll be able to do it then.

Here's also a Disney Movie Insiders podcast with Mark Dindal, Don Hall, and Stevie Wermers-Skelton: https://cms.megaphone.fm/channel/ESP772 ... 8658133265
Disney's Divinity

blackcauldron85 wrote:Read this super-long, amazing article!!!

I only just got around to reading this. I wrote sort of a stream of thoughts below while going through it.

Very interesting to imagine Barbra Streisand as a Disney villainess. Somehow I’m imagining that episode of South Park, "Mecha-Streisand," where the character cackles like a supervillain, lmao.

I don't think I've ever really given Sting credit. If things had turned out the ‘right’ way, the music probably would’ve been fantastic going by “Snuff Out the Light.” I guess I always hated the songs that were in the finished film, that I could never grasp the true potential of what the soundtrack might’ve been like before hearing that song. Maybe he made the music in the finished film awful on purpose because they wouldn’t let him off the project? :lol: I wouldn’t blame him.
From the article wrote: Allers: It started off as just a chipping away. I’d have to take this out, that out, change this. It was becoming reduced, and then it wasn’t quite as interesting as it started off. There was an article where some writer did a comparison of all the Disney films — maybe it was all the modern canon, I don’t remember — and made it look like they were all the same. They all had a hero. They all had a villain. They all had a love song. I think it freaked Peter [Schneider, president of Disney Feature Animation] out. He felt we were just repeating ourselves.
A shame that affected the way they made their films… Executives certainly don't seem to be afraid of studios repeating themselves incessantly these days. :/

The movie is such a bare wisp of a story as it is. I really can’t imagine it working without Kronk. Eartha Kitt would still be amazing, but you would’ve lost so much without Kronk. Tbh, I never liked the Spade-Goodman half of the film at all. It’s such a boring storyline and too in your face with the moral lesson. Interesting that Kitt and Warburton knew each other before… I almost wondered if his story of being alone at her hotel back when was implying that, well… :lol: Oh my.

This quote of Spade’s made me laugh:
Spade: I think they got sick of me by the end, because it was just forever. They kept bringing me. And I kept saying, “I thought it was over.” Then they’d go, “No. You got to do this.” I was getting frustrated going, “Am I bad? This movie is not ending.” By the end of it I was just hoping it would be okay. I really was telling everyone I was going to be in a Disney movie.
Such a shame Kitt passed several years ago. I wonder what she would’ve added to this interview.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

It's a shame that they didn't change the lyrics to Snuff Out the Light and put it after Yzma's eulogy. She also had a reprise of Perfect World that got deleted.
blackcauldron85

YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This video is amazing! (I love Weezer, I love TENG, I love Kingdom In/Of the Sun!!!)

https://www.tiktok.com/@madelinecook97/ ... 6139399430
blackcauldron85

I know that we have a few threads on this film, and some of these have some repeats from a link I previously posted, but these two sites have a ton of Kingdom of the Sun concept art/model sheets, etc:

https://disney.fandom.com/wiki/Kingdom_of_the_Sun

https://characterdesignreferences.com/a ... new-groove
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Thanks for posting those links, blackcauldron85 :)