Is the Disney Movie Club worth it?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
MegaHeroes

Is the Disney Movie Club worth it?

Post by MegaHeroes »

I am on a mission to collection some Disney 4Ks, Blu-Rays and DVDs. Only things I am collecting are animated movies, shorts and shows, Pixar and a few live-action stuff like Beverly Hills Chihuahuas, Flubber, Hocus Pocus, Shaggy Dog, The Ugly Dachshund, Sky High and Herbie/Love Bug. Already building a Pixar collection.

Is it worth it and what other perks outside of exclusives DVDs and Blu-Rays? I know there's some stuff I'm gonna get that I can't get at the Movie Club like Buzz Lightyear of Star Command, The House of Villains and Christmas at the House of Mouse and a Pirates of the Caribbean 4K box set from the UK.

Pretty much my desire to collect Disney 4Ks, Blu-Rays and DVDs are sparked from me playing the whole Kingdom Hearts series again on PS5 due to anticipation for Kingdom Hearts IV.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Re: Is the Disney Movie Club worth it?

Post by UmbrellaFish »

The DMC works best if you work up towards a VIP membership, wait for the 60% off sales, and buy a lot of titles at once. I bought all the DACs and Pixar films released on 4K this way, usually $12 a piece. Go to Blu ray.com and follow their guide to save the most money and get the best benefits.

I would not say any of the perks are enough to sway you to get a membership. Sometimes a title is released early to the DMC, for example, the recent Cinderella 4K. Sometimes the DMC gets exclusive cover art or formats— for example, I think Strange World was only available on 4K via the DMC. If you preorder titles, they usually come with a free lithograph. In the monthly catalog and in your orders, a lot of times they will send a small, free gift. I’ve gotten Disney stickers, gift tags, ornaments, charms, cookie cutters, a beanie.

It sounds like you are maybe starting a Disney physical media collection from the ground up? If you don’t mind buying used, have you considered going to a used media store or eBay? That’s a very cheap method if you are collecting DVDs and Blu-rays (4K I would stick to the DMC). Since Disney+, eBay and used bookstores are swimming in copies of Disney movies and DVDs, priced very cheap. If you haven’t already, try searching eBay for “Disney DVD lot.” You can buy 30+ Disney DVDs for a dollar a piece or even less. I’ve built my collection of musical theatre LPs this way and if I was starting from the ground up collecting Disney movies, I would do the same!

Hope you build a collection you love and enjoy!
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Well, not the most shocking news since they already shut down the Canadian site but still disappointing. I wonder what will happen to all the exclusive titles?

I got my first DMC membership in 2013 because they released the second half of Gargoyles Season Two exclusively to the club. In all that time I’ve maintained a membership. I’m pretty satisfied with my Disney home media collection now, but I do wonder what a move like this spells for physical releases of Disney films in the future? How much longer will they issue their films on DVD/BD/4K at all?

EDIT: Saw a rumor that the closure of the DMC is the indirect result of Sony taking over the distribution of Disney’s home video products, which if true is fine by me. So long as movies and TV series continue to be available physically. Would be so disappointed if Disney totally abandoned physical media before Mary Poppins or The Sound of Music were released on 4K.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Aww, I'm bummed. I've been a member since 2006 I think, except for a few months in 2014 when they kept sending me titles I declined and I cancelled. I'm very grateful for all of the savings and exclusives over the years. I don't have much disposable income now, so I can't go on one last spending spree.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

My membership was seemingly onhold for about a year, but I was able to get it back off the ground and accepted Wish as the feature title + finally picked up Strange World. But next, I'm trying to save for one last score of their exclusive titles, which I'd recommend if you can- they're on sale for $10 each if more than one is purchased.

Last I checked, a few were sold out- the Blu-Rays of Treasure Island, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Pollyanna, and Honey, I Shrunk the Kids are gone. Hopefully they can make some more before it's too late.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I'm glad you were able to get them.
I'm not from the US so I can't get anything from the club, only from third party sellers on ebay or Amazon. I regret not getting The Black Cauldron, it always bothers me getting standard Blu-ray when 4K exists, so I never bothered, but now I don't have the chance because people are flipping price. Maybe in the future when things calm down, they'll sell it at a reasonable price.

Not a chance completing the hand drawn Disney films collection now. These are the ones I'm missing currently:

At least I managed to get the Tangled series when that was released.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

That sucks. But I kind of knew it was coming after the international DMC was shut down. :( There are still a few of the DTV sequels I had planned to get at some point. I suppose most of them are available on Amazon anyway.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

I've noticed that a couple of DMC exclusive titles have become rewards for Disney Movie Insiders. I've seen a couple of formerly exclusive animation releases, a couple of Herbie movies and the OG Parent Trap on Blu-Ray. I ordered Herbie: Fully Loaded, because that has recently sold out from DMC, and I'm contemplating Parent Trap, which I'd like the upgrade, but would still keep the DVD as the Blu doesn't transfer them over.

As for DMC exclusives still available to purchase, I did buy a couple- got The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes on Blu and bought both Weekenders sets as a gift for a friend (I already owned them). There's a couple more things that I'm eyeing, but a lot of what I wanted already sold out.
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

Avaitor wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:29 pm a couple of formerly exclusive animation releases
Interesting.. What exclusive animation releases did you see?? They seem to have all been redeemed by now because I can't spot them :o
Avaitor wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:29 pmthings that I'm eyeing, but a lot of what I wanted already sold out.
Same here. The DMC exclusives are one of these things that we take for granted because of their low price and the fact they never run out of stock.. But then the DMC closes permanently and things change drastically.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Clindor wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:50 pm
Avaitor wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:29 pm a couple of formerly exclusive animation releases
Interesting.. What exclusive animation releases did you see?? They seem to have all been redeemed by now because I can't spot them :o
Well, I know that Jungle Book cover was a DMC exclusive, and I think the 101 Dalmatians and Alice covers also were. But I know some former exclusive releases have been seen at Walmarts, like the Fantasia and Mickey triple pack, so maybe others might show up?
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

Avaitor wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:12 pm
Clindor wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:50 pm

Well, I know that Jungle Book cover was a DMC exclusive, and I think the 101 Dalmatians and Alice covers also were. But I know some former exclusive releases have been seen at Walmarts, like the Fantasia and Mickey triple pack, so maybe others might show up?
Oh yeah, it's true that some re-releases are exclusives to the Disney Movie Club, you are absolutely right to highlight it. For a moment I thought you were talking about movies whose HD/UHD releases on Blu-ray/4K are exclusive to the Disney Movie Club.

I don't know about retailers, I think we should all moderate our expectations about how many titles might reappear... Although I hope for better news.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

So I finally decided to get The Aristocats, Robin Hood, The Rescuers and The Fox and the Hound.
These are the last hand drawn films I still don't own:

Which one should I get next?
I still can't bring myself to buy The Sword in the Stone or The Black Cauldron knowing there are superior 4K versions available on digital and I'm not really a fan of Oliver & Company, Brother Bear and Home on the Range.
Last edited by Farerb on Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Buy The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr Toad/Fun and Fancy Free because the former film is very charming, great viewing in autumn, and the Blu ray comes with The Reluctant Dragon making the 2-movie collection secretly a 3-movie collection.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Yeah I really want that one. It seems to be OOP though.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Ahh, that’s a shame. I didn’t realize that title had gone out of print. :/
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

Farerb wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:54 am Which one should I get next?
You mean which edition/release? or which movie?
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Clindor wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:55 am You mean which edition/release? or which movie?
Movie
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

Farerb wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:00 am
Clindor wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:55 am You mean which edition/release? or which movie?
Movie
Wow! This is such a matter of subjectivity, I don't know if it can be answered.

Also this is only a competition between wartime era movies then?

Imo I would say the 2 winners in terms of consistency in the animation and charm would be The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr Toad and Melody Time (the latter being available only through the Disney Movie Club). Fun and Fancy Free is close to that.

Then, for a Disney or animation aficionado, I would recommand to own them all.. With the exception of Saludos Amidos which might be maybe a little weaker in comparison to the others, they all have something unique to offer.
stevemcqueen
Gold Classic Collection

Post by stevemcqueen »

Echoing UmbrellaFish here, definitely try and get that The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr Toad/Fun and Fancy Free: 2-Movie Collection, it's a great set. I can help you with a mint condition Brother Bear: 2-Movie Collection from my selling thread if you just want to cover the shipping charges. PM me if interested.