DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 481 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 25  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:26 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:59 pm
Posts: 3746
Location: S.H.I.E.L.D. Headquarters
Goliath wrote:
@ Flanger-Hanger: although may Disney-fans have become ecstatic about prince Naveen (The Princess and the Frog), I still think Eric is the best of the Disney princes. Many fans praise Naveen for his big change of heart, but he's basically a stock character, a cardboard cut-out. The selfish and arrogant prick who turns into a loving and caring soul: we've seen it many times before.


Not to mention it happends kinda quickly.

Goliath wrote:
I wish you could explain why he's not "as good as he could have been".


Me too, maybe it's the voice actor's delivery of his lines? Or that we don't spend as much time with him as Ariel (would be difficult to create a movie like that)?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:50 pm 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:07 am
Posts: 1187
Location: Maine
From a blog I visit a lot, TLM told in a nutshell (seashell?). Enjoy! :D
Movies In A Minute: The Little Mermaid

_________________
Image


Last edited by Sky Syndrome on Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:56 pm 
Offline
Collector's Edition
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:02 pm
Posts: 671
Location: The U.S.
Goliath wrote:
SmartAleck25 wrote:
You mean selflessness?

Is that what you call somebody who's not selfish? I normally don't have problems with English, but this one has become a debacle.


Yeah, here's the dictionary entry:
Dictionary.com wrote:
–adjective
having little or no concern for oneself, esp. with regard to fame, position, money, etc.; unselfish.
Origin:
1815–25; self + -less

—Related forms
self·less·ly, adverb
self·less·ness, noun

_________________
Image


Last edited by SmartAleck25 on Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:06 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:26 pm
Posts: 12333
Flanger-Hanger wrote:
Nostalgia Chick (I think) takes offense to Ariel sacrificing everything to be with a man she barely knew too, but to me it is believable considering the character's age.

She's old enough to take charge of a situation to get what she wants, but inexperienced enough to appreciate the consequences of her actions or what to look for in love beyond what she images to be the perfect man.
Not to mention the fact that the movie takes an ironic view of her sacrifice. The audience, and everyone in the film other than Ariel herself, see the deal as being at her expense--in essence, that her voice (and all that implies) shouldn't so easily be given away. And, in the end, she doesn't gether happy ever after until she's once again re-empowered with that voice.

Regardless, I think any mistakes Ariel makes are supposed to be indicative of age, not gender. So I guess we can agree the film's ageist. :P

Warning, tangent ahead: I personally think some 'feminists' lose sight of what feminism is supposed to be about. It's about equality, control, rights, power, choice. A woman shouldn't be so completely flawless that she can't rely on others once in a while (just like there's nothing wrong with men getting help from their loved ones either). And they're so woman-centered that sometimes they fail to examine how the men may be being stereotyped/badly depicted, too.

Sometimes, when I look at TLM, I think Ursula/Ariel almost come across as a critique of feminism: Ursula being the type of woman who wants to completely disempower men in order, mostly out of revenge for the past discrimination, to be fully in control (which is in no way an egalitarian way of looking at things); Ariel being the type of woman who only wants the right she deserves--to be equal with her father and Eric, not above them. Ariel's deal in a way is the struggle for a woman to empower herself in a world so male-centric: it was a mistake (I'm sure even she knows that), but it was really the only way. Rebellion is the only way to force a patriarchal culture to extend them their rights.

That's mostly just something I read from the film, but I have to wonder if they had something like that in mind (what with young Ursula--Vanessa--looking so much like a double of Ariel). I know most of these fairy tales could be simplified to a virgin/whore type of thing, but TLM clearly doesn't depict Ariel as a virginal innocent; Ariel's sexual awakening seems to be a key part of the story. Ursula and Ariel actually have a lot of similarities. Its their approach that differentiates them, really.

Quote:
In the end I think that's' the importance of Eric, to create a character that the heroine deserves in the end. Does he succeed in begin so? I guess since he did save her life and all, but for some reason I feel he's not as good as he could be, though I can't entirely explain why.
I agree that Eric comes across as a bland romantic interest (imo, the male equivalent of Jasmine). He's there to look good, but not really do anything beyond barely deserve to have Ariel as a wife.

Though I was just thinking about it because I was reading that Movie in the Minute thing (hilarious, btw) and one of the comments said something about how most men wouldn't mind taking a girl who couldn't speak. And, for me, that he wants the girl with the voice makes him a lot more appealing. He is a lot nicer than many straight guys I've known (where it concerns girls, anyway).

_________________
Image
Listening to most often lately:
Diana Ross ~ "I'm Coming Out"
The Weather Girls ~ "It's Raining Men"
Christina Aguilera ~ "Beautiful"
LeAnn Rimes ~ "Love Is Love Is Love"
Gloria Gaynor ~ "I Am What I Am"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:38 am 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:54 am
Posts: 13696
Goliath wrote:
That's true, but what did she *do* when she ran away from the palace? Where did she want to go? What did she want to accomplish? We know nothing about this. All we know is that she wandered around aimlessly at the market, and later on in the film, she's perfectly content to accept a prince (or so she thinks) to marry her and take care of her. All of a sudden, getting away from palace life isn't such a high priority anymore.

What are your thoughts on this?


As far as what Jasmine wanted to accomplish, she just wanted to experience life out of the palace, to meet some new people, try new things, not have every day be just like the previous one. We don't know everything she did, or a time frame, really, even. She's not content to let just *any* prince marry her...that's part of her whole storyline- "I'm not a prize to be won"- but she sees something in Aladdin/Ali, and, although mad that he lied to her (as I would be, too, in the situation), but she couldn't help how he made her feel, so she took him back.

the blog Sky Syndrome posted the link to wrote:
Flounder: "How do you like the life sized Eric statue I found you, Ariel? Don't you think I have a shrine devoted to you and your entire species will make a great ice breaker when you see him again?"


OMG :lol:

Quote:
And it's gotta be the kiss of true love. Spin the bottle and seven minutes below deck kisses don't count.


:lol: yet again!

Quote:
Eric: "Wow. You look just like the girl who rescued me and sang to me. She's got Margaret Keane inspired eyes that take up 3/5 of her face, hair extensions that don't fail when wet, and a waist the width of my bicep despite having twice the lung capacity of an average opera singer. What's that? You can't speak? Oh, then you can't be her. Well. Want to move into my palace with me while I wait for my true love?"

Ariel: "..."

Eric: "I'll take that as a yes. I'll show you around the kingdom."


:lol: :lol: :lol:

Quote:
Eric: "Whoa. That was a close one. Can't do any kissing now that we're all wet with our clothes clinging to us!"


:lol: :lol:

Quote:
Ariel: "You mean it, Daddy? And long shapely legs, right? Not dumpy varicose veined ones? Oh, Daddy!"


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Those made my early morning. :p

Disney's Divinity wrote:
what with young Ursula--Vanessa--looking so much like a double of Ariel


I think that's because Eric had to believe that it was Vanessa that sang to him on the beach...

Disney's Divinity wrote:
I agree that Eric comes across as a bland romantic interest (imo, the male equivalent of Jasmine). He's there to look good, but not really do anything beyond barely deserve to have Ariel as a wife.

Though I was just thinking about it because I was reading that Movie in the Minute thing (hilarious, btw) and one of the comments said something about how most men wouldn't mind taking a girl who couldn't speak. And, for me, that he wants the girl with the voice makes him a lot more appealing. He is a lot nicer than many straight guys I've known (where it concerns girls, anyway).


1. The male equivalent of Jasmine? Say what? Jasmine is feisty and silly and wonderful. Nothing against Eric...

2. But Ariel saved his life...I mean, he wanted the girl who saved his life, regardless of who she was, I guess...

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:09 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:26 pm
Posts: 12333
blackcauldron85 wrote:
Disney's Divinity wrote:
what with young Ursula--Vanessa--looking so much like a double of Ariel


I think that's because Eric had to believe that it was Vanessa that sang to him on the beach...
Well, to be true, she could've looked like Pamela Anderson, and it probably wouldn't have mattered. :P He was hypnotized the whole time.

Quote:
1. The male equivalent of Jasmine? Say what? Jasmine is feisty and silly and wonderful. Nothing against Eric...
I won't really go into it, but I have very little love for Jasmine. Lately, whenever the discussions for the individual films come up, I try to give a review of that film; maybe when Aladdin comes up again, or when I get in the mood to type about it, I'll discuss it more extensively there. :)

Btw, the Flounder and Ursula parts you quoted from that Movie in a Minute were probably my favorite lines, too. :lol:

_________________
Image
Listening to most often lately:
Diana Ross ~ "I'm Coming Out"
The Weather Girls ~ "It's Raining Men"
Christina Aguilera ~ "Beautiful"
LeAnn Rimes ~ "Love Is Love Is Love"
Gloria Gaynor ~ "I Am What I Am"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:36 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:35 pm
Posts: 4749
Location: The Netherlands
blackcauldron85 wrote:
She's not content to let just *any* prince marry her...that's part of her whole storyline- "I'm not a prize to be won"- but she sees something in Aladdin/Ali, and, although mad that he lied to her (as I would be, too, in the situation), but she couldn't help how he made her feel, so she took him back.

I don't disagree with all that, but her storyline was that she was fed up with life in the palace. She didn't want to be a princess anymore (her exact words). But once the *right* prince comes along, she lets go all of her dreams about getting away and she's contend to mary him and continue to lead a life in the palace.

But now, back to The Little Mermaid:

Disney's Divinity wrote:
Sometimes, when I look at TLM, I think Ursula/Ariel almost come across as a critique of feminism: [...] Ariel being the type of woman who only wants the right she deserves--to be equal with her father and Eric, not above them. Ariel's deal in a way is the struggle for a woman to empower herself in a world so male-centric: it was a mistake (I'm sure even she knows that), but it was really the only way. Rebellion is the only way to force a patriarchal culture to extend them their rights.

You say this would make it almost a critique of feminism, but the way you analyse the film, focussing on deeper motivations Ariel may have (deeper than the superficial motives I wrote about), the film becomes *very* feminist. I'd say it's a good counter-argument against its detractors. Did you take this from someone else or is this your own analysis? Because if it is, I'm impressed.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:41 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:35 pm
Posts: 4749
Location: The Netherlands
You know how we've been talking about Ariel's eyes being so big, because she had to communicate without words for a large portion of the film? Coïncidentally, I was going through old issues of the Dutch 'Donald Duck' weekly, and found this beautiful advertisement from 1995 (for the short-lived Little Mermaid magazine). It's amazing how it seems like she's actually looking at you; the artist did a really good job.


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:25 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:59 pm
Posts: 3746
Location: S.H.I.E.L.D. Headquarters
Goliath wrote:
I don't disagree with all that, but her storyline was that she was fed up with life in the palace. She didn't want to be a princess anymore (her exact words). But once the *right* prince comes along, she lets go all of her dreams about getting away and she's contend to mary him and continue to lead a life in the palace.


I'm going to stay off topic for just a bit longer now, but I feel I have to say that Aladdin was different from her other princely suitors because of his background and far more likely to give her the freedom in life to do what she wants (along with having fancy carpet rides).

Not begin a "princess" was probably said in objection to all the royal rules that made her life so disappointing and restricted. Aladdin probably wouldn't be so strict about them.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:31 am 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:02 am
Posts: 11155
Location: America
Still my second favorite Disney movie, which still ever battles with Sleeping Beauty...

My personal feelings on Ariel were that I was fine with her in the original as a kid, I was more interested in Ursula but that was personal interest, and whenever people didn't like her, I would get defensive, I thought she was fine and was glad she didn't get punished for her actions, I didn't believe in that.

These days, her over-popularity has made me scrutinize her, and now I almost roll my eyes sometimes at the thought or sight of her. Her attitued does bother me, but I don't know if she really should be changed.

In the series, I think I liked her even more there and today I do feel I like her more in that. Maybe it was because she was younger, and maybe it was because it focused more on peace, harmony, and love, but she was more considerate and caring for others in the series and that is not something I can say she was nearly as much in the film.

Also I wouldn't mind her being more "classical" like the past princesses and the original Anderson mermaid. Her eyes are also apart of that. I have a problem with Disney animations general turn to what I think was a more...cartoony allowance in style in their films, starting with this one. But Ariel's eyes are the hugest of all, at least until Rapunzel, which makes no sense, because Rapunzel is older so her eyes should be less big. Bith are Keane's work and I am not a fan of his big cartoony exaggerations, no matter how they still work in the Disney art.

All the previous princesses had bigger than real eyes, but it was subtle, it felt more classical. In Ariel... There is a statue of Ariel that I think shows her eyes a little more like I would want them to be:

Ariel sitting sculpture

Goliath, your post exaggerated and simplified to say that any, any other hero or heroine had as clear goals or were as emotional or great a character as Ariel.

All the previous princesses wanted better lives, some of them in particular having specific goals to have lovers. Specifically to Cinderella, she said her dream was a secret ("Because if you tell a wish, it won't come true") and when dancing with the prince said "this is the miracle that I've been dreaming of". All most all princesses tried to get what they want, to varying degrees, be it wishing which they thought would give them what they want (in fairy tales when anything can happen) or trying to push the people around them to get it, however so subtley. Tiana got to make the people around her give her what she wanted because she had an alligator who could beat them up. It's good you put feminist in quotes because what is or isn't feminist does seem to depend on different women, though there's probably some formal definition somewhere.

Pinocchio wanted to do what he needed to get his goal, got distracted, but finally did do it. Alice's goal was to have complete fun and silliness, when she got too much of it, she wanted to escape, she learned something.

The Darling's didn't want to grow up, and wanted to go to a place to have fun all the time, in fact, their goal could be said to not have to have goals. Bernard and Bianca clearly got good feelings and an adventure out of helping someone, and they clearly wanted it from being part of the rescue society. Also, did you miss that Mulan wanted to be seen for who she was since the very beginning, singing "Reflection"? And Jasmine just didn't want to be a princess because of the rules and not getting to choose her lover, so once she overcame those, hell yea who wouldn't want to be a princess, Aladdin did...

Ariel's goal was to become part of the human world. Somehow. She did not know how at all. It was not clear, not clearer than the others that much, was it? She saw Eric and she had a clear goal that every previous princess had, to have a lover, but it also conveniently joined with her previous desire. Wouldn't it be interesting if she was using him to become part of the human world like the original wanted a soul? But she still had no good plans for getting what she wanted, the closest that she would try to see him again with Flounder splashing to get his attention.

Two eels come up and say, "Hey, that evil sea witch that you know was bad is now good and could help you." She tells Ariel she can become human, and bingo, Ariel has her clear goal and how to get it.

For the most part what I think you should have said was Ariel may have had the most clear goal or done the most to get it or was the most emotional or was the most determined, but not the only one, just the most, perhaps, in whichever of those areas.

Everything else you said about you love for her and why she's so great I can understand, except that you believe other princess love at first sight romances thanks to the way they were done, and:

Goliath wrote:
But it's not only her eyes, it's all her expressions and gestures (sometimes ever so subtle) which reveal a more complex emotional 'structure' than any other Disney character has.


Uh, no, I would not accept that without some really deep, long, explaining and comparing with every other Disney character. Until then, no. But, at least we realize that is what you personally think.

Super Aurora, you're great, I liked everything you said, it was so true, and thanks especially for what you said about my favorite, yay. : )

Super Aurora wrote:
Actually if you think about it, Aladdin is the male reversal role of Little Mermaid

And reversal of Cinderella, moreso.

Divinity, you can E-mail me back if you want, I mean, I totally can understand you not we would still be friends but...great analysis of "Part of that World", woah, and your analysis of the whole film as something feminist. In that way, the film can be feminist.

Ariel in the song even says "bright young women" which is great for the film recognizing women in that way, and thus intending to make Ariel bright, but then she makes her not mistake (which could be seen as not so bright but in reality is probably her choosing emotion over thought and she saw it as the only way which it may have been), which two men solve, and a man gives her her goal. However, I understand that it worked both ways, Ariel was wrong but also right, and Triton was right but also wrong. It can be seen that Ariel pushes her father to see her side of things. To do that further, though, they probably could have had Ariel say "I'm sorry for what I did, but see he is good, he loves me, and I deserve him" instead of being sad on a rock, but that would not be as cinematically beautiful, artsy, and emotional.

The other problems are that I would need more explanation as to why Ariel wants to see herself equal to her father and most especially to Eric. Also, her trying to empower herself is to get a man, it is for the sake of the love of a man. And if a man doesn't love her, she becomes a miserable, helpless worm.

Disney's Divinity wrote:
Regardless, I think any mistakes Ariel makes are supposed to be indicative of age, not gender. So I guess we can agree the film's ageist. :P


Not necessarily, because Ariel gives up things and makes mistakes for the love of a man. It could be said teenage boys do not do the same for love, for girls.

What you said on feminism is very right though. It's supposed to be about women being equal to men. Also, what is or isn't feminist does seem to depend on different people, though there's probably some formal definition somewhere.

Eric acted kind of dickish to Ariel when mute, I feel. He just feels dicky. He doesn't have the same fun exuberance or innocence Ariel has. But he doesn't just seem more worldly. He seems dicky.

Lots of princes do though, lol! But with him getting more screentime and development, we can see more of his a**holeness, and compared to Ariel who deserves someone as great as her, he seems even more douchey.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:17 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:26 pm
Posts: 12333
Goliath wrote:
You say this would make it almost a critique of feminism, but the way you analyse the film, focussing on deeper motivations Ariel may have (deeper than the superficial motives I wrote about), the film becomes *very* feminist. I'd say it's a good counter-argument against its detractors. Did you take this from someone else or is this your own analysis? Because if it is, I'm impressed.
A mix. Mostly it's my own thoughts in defense of TLM, but I have read some articles, good and bad, that have examined it before. The movie and Ariel have been criticized for being everything from regressive to spoiled to materialistic. Frankly, I think those criticisms come from people who haven't even watched the film (or not closely enough to indicate they have thought processes). :P :D

(just a joke, people, don't skewer me)

I called it a critique because it does point out some flaws in some feminist thought (women like Ursula, who define power in masculine terms, who completely disconnect themselves from men/love, and who look down on women who don't make the same choices as they do). I was checking Wikipedia just to make sure I haven't confused myself, but the feminist movement did reach a peak from the 60s to late 80s regarding cultural sexism. I think its appropriate that TLM would in its way consider some of those issues, being the first fairy tale woman-focused film to be released after that. I think it's mostly critiquing some of the flawed inital ideas--though feminism itself is good in general.

Disney Duster wrote:
Divinity, you can E-mail me back if you want, I mean, I totally can understand you not we would still be friends but...great analysis of "Part of that World", woah, and your analysis of the whole film as something feminist. In that way, the film can be feminist.
I actually e-mailed you back a few days ago. :P

Quote:
To do that further, though, they probably could have had Ariel say "I'm sorry for what I did, but see he is good, he loves me, and I deserve him" instead of being sad on a rock, but that would not be as cinematically beautiful, artsy, and emotional.
I think this is what a lot of people wanted from the film (and the reason so many are left with the impression that Ariel is selfish/stupid). A lot of people seem to need a resolution via words for the film to feel right. But, to me, it comes across without words that Ariel was obviously desperate/in love, and that of course she didn't mean to harm anyone (least of all her father) in making the deal with Ursula. If anyone was supposed to get hurt in that deal, if it went awry, she probably expected it would be her. And I think that's why that single "I love you, daddy," is so emotional and critical (for me, at least). It's supposed to express all that without having to go into the words. And besides the fact that that's the simplest way (script-wise) to communicate a resolution for her actions, it's also fairly realistic. When parents/children have fights (at least in my family), it's very hard to come out and say directly that: "I'm sorry."

Quote:
The other problems are that I would need more explanation as to why Ariel wants to see herself equal to her father and most especially to Eric. Also, her trying to empower herself is to get a man, it is for the sake of the love of a man. And if a man doesn't love her, she becomes a miserable, helpless worm.
Her wanting to be with Eric does in some ways complicate issues. But she wanted to have legs before he came along; he was just more of the driving force. And the empowerment works as both an age and gender issue, that she's old enough to have control of her life, and that she has the right to as a woman live and believe anything she chooses (regardless of whether the laws/rules say mermaids shouldn't go to the surface).

As for the "she becomes a worm" part when she can't get the man, I think that says several things at once. For one, it gives us another reason why Ursula is a model for the 'bad' feminist, in that--while Ariel is never her target--she does look down on Ariel (she's condescending to her throughout most all of "Poor Unfortunate Souls," and then that whole "So much for true love" thing; to me, it's kind of like working women/feminists who look down on women who chose--not forced--to be housewives). That idea's kind of reinforced in the musical's "I Want the Good Times Back" (F/J: The one with the beautiful voice!; Ursula: Which she takes for granted!/A woman doesn’t know how precious her voice is until she’s been silenced/Ha! Perhaps we could teach them both a lesson…), which is separate from the film, of course, but further develops some themes from the film. And also, to me, it says that, a relationship where a woman has no voice, the woman is no better than a 'worm.' Without her voice, Ariel and Eric's relationship would never be an equal one. There's also possibly the joke that there is no 'true' love in a relationship that's at its center unequal, too.

And even though some people would say I'm just reading too much into it, some of the film's makers have talked about how the film, in ways, pokes fun at past fairy tales. (And how TP&TF also does that to its predecessors). Also, any film with a woman as the lead is going to somewhat deal with women's issues. Regardless, the reading would still work, for me anyway. And it only adds to the film's appeal (again, for me anyway), so how can that be a bad thing? :P

Quote:
Not necessarily, because Ariel gives up things and makes mistakes for the love of a man. It could be said teenage boys do not do the same for love, for girls.
Well, matured girls would realize they don't have to sacrifice their voice/rights for love of a man. Which is kind of reinforced by the fact that they aren't married until that voice is returned to her. In high school, a lot of girls do seem to have a time where they're willing to do/be anything for a guy they like (that may just be personal experience though; my sister was always like that); whereas most older women recognize how that was a flaw associated with age and naivete.

And, it may be personal, but I thought Eric was an incredible gentleman to Ariel the whole film. I think Eric is very different (as a character) from Ariel. Ariel and Eric are also kind of staples of Ocean/Land. Two different forces, but at the same time equal. As a couple, they reinforce that whole "opposites attract" idea, Ariel being impulsive and dangerous like the ocean, and Eric reserved and warm like the land.

My only criticism of Eric (and the land scenes he's associated with) are that he/they don't really live up to Ariel, her dreams, and the underwater world she's associated with. But every film has its own flaws. :)

_________________
Image
Listening to most often lately:
Diana Ross ~ "I'm Coming Out"
The Weather Girls ~ "It's Raining Men"
Christina Aguilera ~ "Beautiful"
LeAnn Rimes ~ "Love Is Love Is Love"
Gloria Gaynor ~ "I Am What I Am"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:50 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:35 pm
Posts: 4749
Location: The Netherlands
Disney's Divinity: Wow, your post made me want to see the film *again*, so soon after my last viewing!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:27 pm 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:18 pm
Posts: 1410
Goliath wrote:
I don't disagree with all that, but her storyline was that she was fed up with life in the palace. She didn't want to be a princess anymore (her exact words). But once the *right* prince comes along, she lets go all of her dreams about getting away and she's contend to mary him and continue to lead a life in the palace.


Yes, but she says that line after her father says "The law states that the princess must be married before her 16th birthday" or something to that extent. I always got the vibe that she just wanted more time to find the right guy, and that she didn't want to be forced to marry any of the 'stuck up' princes. She ran away so that she wouldn't have to be forced to marry. And so, when she found the right prince, she no longer needed to escape.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:39 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:02 am
Posts: 11155
Location: America
Goliath, and let's pretend that your love of Ariel might not have anything to do with her sexiness, half-nakedness and a certain shot of her nether regions you posted in another thread. [sarcasm]That shows your real love and respect for the character, and women, doesn't it?[/sarcasm]

In fact, when looking at this:
Goliath wrote:
Super Aurora wrote:
Little Mermaid is awesome for fact you get to see her vagina and ass uncensored. fuck yeah.

You know, I like you, but sometimes you trouble me...

You hypocrite, you did the very same thing he did, only worse because you reposted the picture of exactly what he was talking about.


Divinity, hm...interesting, and very good. I still don't know. I don't know if that/think that negates all those problems, but perhaps, and it's good defense.

Except that Ariel did say sorry again in the deleted ending. I wonder if they still could have put that in there. I also loved more Ariel's running and singing "Now we can walk, now we can run..." in the deleted ending, that was amazing and powerful, omg, though perhaps it was too Broadwayish for the film. That should have been in the freaking Broadway show...

And also, I do not know if I would consider Eric warm...and I think he was kind of careless with things...including the girl he was taking in. He just made so many faces that were like "oh jeeze" with her.

Finally...am I allowed to post something that is mature but might make everyone here have a good laugh? Because this. Is. HILARIOUS. That doesn't even do it justice. But you MUST BE 18 OR OLDER:

Kiss the Girl...Continued

HIL-AR-FREAKING-OUS!

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:22 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:35 pm
Posts: 4749
Location: The Netherlands
@ Disney Duster:

I think you have me mixed up with Super Aurora. But anyway, you can either act normal, or not reply at all. In this thread, I was talking about the emotional motivations of Ariel and why I react to that so strongly. You can react to that. If you're only here to insult me or call me names, you can go. Everybody knows arguing with you is pointless anyway.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:06 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:59 am
Posts: 4835
Disney Duster wrote:
Goliath, and let's pretend that your love of Ariel might not have anything to do with her sexiness, half-nakedness and a certain shot of her nether regions you posted in another thread. [sarcasm]That shows your real love and respect for the character, and women, doesn't it?[/sarcasm]

In fact, when looking at this:
Goliath wrote:
Super Aurora wrote:
Little Mermaid is awesome for fact you get to see her vagina and ass uncensored. fuck yeah.

You know, I like you, but sometimes you trouble me...

You hypocrite, you did the very same thing he did, only worse because you reposted the picture of exactly what he was talking about.


That was Enigmawing who posted those pictures up. Not Goliath. Even so, who gives a shit if he likes them or not. Both of us are straight males. It's common nature, whether it's real life or cartoon, we would fap to hot and cute looking girls.

_________________
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:13 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:35 pm
Posts: 4749
Location: The Netherlands
My point is that Disney Duster makes accusations which have nothing to do with the topic at hand.

I remember which thread he's taking about. Yes, I posted that picture, but you should have mentioned the *context*, Duster! Like Super Aurora said, another member posted the picture first, but I can't recall for whatever reason. Anyway, he removed it when it drew complaints fromk puritans who thought it was inappropriate for children. An argument which I thought was preposterous, since it was a still from an animated Disney movie, something that's shown to children all the time. I re-posted the picture to protest the puritans' attitude and the self-censoring of the original poster.

Disney Duster, believe me: when I want to get horny and lust after naked girls, I'll watch porn; I don't have to watch The Littler Mermaid for that. So your implications are false.

I'm extremely offended at how you tied my 'love for Ariel' to my 'respect for women'. You know nothing about me, yet you feel you can judge me. Like you judge everybody who's not into your religion ("empty inside", "evil").

Bravo, Duster. Continue to go down this road and soon nobody will want to talk to you anymore.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:27 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:19 am
Posts: 8177
Location: Appleton, WI
Ariel's a teenager. She's going to be hard as a rock at times. Every teenage girl has wet dreams about at least one guy, and from personal experience(as a 20 yr old guy), all teenagers are stubborn and selfish. at least to their parents. we tend to give others who are not our superiors a bit more respect.

and she's young. she goes to the sea-witch without having any previous experience with the woman.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:23 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:02 am
Posts: 11155
Location: America
Goliath, just pointing out those things about you, including calling out poor Super Aurora when you did the same thing, except worse.

ajmrowland, she knew Ursula was bad and evil. She said "the sea witch?" and said she wouldn't do it at first, because she knew she was bad. But Ursula told her she had changed to good in her song.

No one is checking out the video of Kiss the Girl Continued? I thought the straighties would especially like it, but even I thought it was really, really funny, not mention brilliant and obviously took a lot of hard work.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:17 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:35 pm
Posts: 4749
Location: The Netherlands
Disney Duster wrote:
Goliath, just pointing out those things about you, including calling out poor Super Aurora when you did the same thing, except worse.



Image

Now Luke, how's that ignore-button coming?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 481 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 25  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DVDBuff1, Google Adsense [Bot] and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group