The Little Mermaid Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Re: The Little Mermaid Discussion

Post by DisneyFan97 »

nomad2010 wrote:I posted a custom cover I made in the Aladdin thread, hoping to create some more artistic and on model artwork for the classics that have such horrible cover art. I took a hard look at Mermaid's and realized this scene was the one that always stood out to me and had never been done. I liked the idea of her still in the water but human. Or also sort of mid transformation, and Eric meeting her halfway walking into the water. So I decided to give it a go. The Ariel is done by hand, but the background and Eric are pieced together from screen caps and concept art. Not my best work, but I'm pretty happy with it. May do a few more throughout quarantine.

That was nice looking cover !!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Only came across it today but apparently Ron Clements was involved with the 4K restoration:
https://youtu.be/BFcmkQMB3TE
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Thanks for that video farerb, I enjoyed it.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Wow, they look so much like the animated movie characters! Though I don't know why the Ariel didn't put in blue eye contacts.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I saw these on a Facebook group. They are custom made figures of The Little Mermaid. The person said he uses a special software to design them and then he prints them with a 3D printer and then sends them to painting: here is the Instagram of the other guy who does the painting:
https://instagram.com/romero.agustn?igshid=yr3w74ntneye
They are really cool and I wish Disney had made figures like these:

Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

:o Woah! That's amazing! He even did ones for the characters from the series and the sequels! Hehe, it's funny how bad Ariel's mother Athena looks design-wise. But what he does is truly kinda unbelievable. I love the Vanessa figures and the Ariel coming to the surface as a human the first time ones the most! I wonder if Ariel is anatomically correct lol. But really, all of these are incredible in their authentic expressions and poses, all down to the last details!
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Whoa, those are INCREDIBLE!!!! I'm not going to even click the link in case there are prices because I have no $ but wow wow wow those are sooo good. Thank you for posting them, farerb!!!
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Oh wow! Those are beautiful!!! I especially love to see Urchin and Gabriella!
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Yes, I always wished Urchin and Gabriella could be a part of the merchandise sometimes. And Spot! :P Nearly all of these are great. The one of all the sisters reminds me of one of the lithographs that came with the VHS re-release. And I’d love to have the one of Triton in his dolphin carriage. So, so nice (I'm still hoping Funko makes a Ride of that one day). I'm surprised there's no Melody since they made Morgana.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

My friend found this:
Disney's Divinity

I thought this was a nice, well-done little “tribute” to Ursula—and a perfect song choice for her, too. :P

I wish they didn’t include the KH scenes, but it was worth it just for the ending when they spliced together Pat Carroll’s unmodified voice in KH with the modified voice from the original film on the line, “Bow to my power.” She was really an awesome villain, utterly focused and no-holds-barred, a little unsettling with a touch of horror. Last time I watched the film, I laughed at the part when she kicks Max in the face with her heel since it’s literally a trope for a super-bitch character to kick a dog. :lol: You know, it’s funny how Cruella is definitely this character’s closest ancestor as far as past Disney characters go (even her skeleton looks sort of like Cruella’s when she is electrocuted—I assume that was a little in-joke on their part :lol: ), but I don’t believe Cruella ever kicked a dog in Dalmatians?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I'd never heard of a cut song called "Merman" before. Why hasn't it been released (assuming it was demoed)?
When Ron and John first met with Howard Ashman before the story for The Little Mermaid was fully formed, the Broadway legend had an idea for a song to welcome audiences to the undersea world. “For a little time, ‘Under the Sea’ was going to introduce the movie, kind of welcome you to the world,” Ron Clements explained. “So we had another song later called ‘Merman,’ like look how wonderful the guys around here are and Howard hated that.” The cut song “Merman” would’ve been sung by Sebastian after discovering that Ariel was in love with a human. Instead, “Under the Sea” was moved to that place in the film and another song written for the sailors, “Fathoms Below,” was shortened and moved to the opening of the film. John Musker also recalled how influential Howard Ashman was on their approach to storytelling. “He ended up becoming a mentor to us and he was really only a year or two older than us, but he had all this experience in musicals.”

Amongst all of the technological advancements on their films, one of them didn’t go according to plan. The CAPS system, designed to move the cel painting process into the computer, was meant to be used on The Little Mermaid. In the end, it would go down as the last film to use the traditional painting process with just one shot in the film using the new digital method. “Little Mermaid was a very complicated film in terms of effect animation,” Ron Clements explained, citing things like the ocean waves rolling as being too complicated for the earliest version of the CAPS system to handle. He also squashed rumors about the films actual budget, which was around $20 million, contrary to online rumors that typically double that.
Source: https://www.laughingplace.com/w/article ... ter-hours/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

That was all very interesting. It's curious that some songs initially had a different place in the movie. Maybe "Merman" hasn't been released because it wasn't very good? Anyway, I wish we could listen to it.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Wow, "Under the Sea" was going to be at the beginning at first. That's very "fourth-wall breaking musical stage play". But no wonder the song is this big showstopper that doesn't move the story forward that much. I like hearing how Howard Ashman directed the film so much. It's a wonder he wasn't the actual director! I wonder how "Merman" would have sounded, too, and maybe it was bad D82, because Howard hated it.
MrXemnas1992
Limited Issue

Post by MrXemnas1992 »

For every "Silence is Golden" that gets released, there's a "Merman" that doesn't.

The fact that there's cut content we've still never even heard about yet is super tantalizing.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Are we sure the song even had a demo? Sounds like it wasn't even recorded.
Disney's Divinity

Sotiris wrote:

Amongst all of the technological advancements on their films, one of them didn’t go according to plan. The CAPS system, designed to move the cel painting process into the computer, was meant to be used on The Little Mermaid. In the end, it would go down as the last film to use the traditional painting process with just one shot in the film using the new digital method.
Source: https://www.laughingplace.com/w/article ... ter-hours/
I'm glad they weren't able to get it going yet for this film.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I'm glad they weren't able to get it going yet for this film.
Me too.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I know it was thought that Ron John cameos started with Aladdin, but could the two people to the left be another cameo or is it just a coincidence?