The Little Mermaid Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
MeerkatKombat
Special Edition

Re: The Little Mermaid Discussion

Post by MeerkatKombat »

^ Me too.
Makes the beginning of the blu-ray almost uncomfortable for me to watch (which I realise sounds ridiculous)

I posted this in the Diamond Thread ages ago. Got it off a You tube Video (I can't find it now)
For anyone who wants to know what we are talking about
diamond vs platinum.png
diamond vs platinum.png (187.41 KiB) Viewed 8241 times
Settling Soul mates? That is grim. And I've played Monopoly alone.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Aren't the colors of the platinum edition widely thought to be incorrect anyway? While the diamond edition boasts the original film's colors. Maybe the turquoise tail was in the original film too. I hope so otherwise we have another botched restoration. Also the digital copy has the turquoise tail as well (at least on Disney Movies Anywhere).
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Matt
Anniversary Edition

Post by Matt »

JeanGreyForever wrote:Aren't the colors of the platinum edition widely thought to be incorrect anyway? While the diamond edition boasts the original film's colors. Maybe the turquoise tail was in the original film too. I hope so otherwise we have another botched restoration. Also the digital copy has the turquoise tail as well (at least on Disney Movies Anywhere).
My digital copy has the correct green for Ariel but the fade when she goes on shore wasn't correct. That doesn't actually bother me lol. Just her tail when it was blue did.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Matt wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:Aren't the colors of the platinum edition widely thought to be incorrect anyway? While the diamond edition boasts the original film's colors. Maybe the turquoise tail was in the original film too. I hope so otherwise we have another botched restoration. Also the digital copy has the turquoise tail as well (at least on Disney Movies Anywhere).
My digital copy has the correct green for Ariel but the fade when she goes on shore wasn't correct. That doesn't actually bother me lol. Just her tail when it was blue did.
I have the blue tail, fade error, and part of your world switch scene.
ImageImage
Matt
Anniversary Edition

Post by Matt »

JeanGreyForever wrote:
Matt wrote: My digital copy has the correct green for Ariel but the fade when she goes on shore wasn't correct. That doesn't actually bother me lol. Just her tail when it was blue did.
I have the blue tail, fade error, and part of your world switch scene.
Wow, I wonder why mine was correct with the tail and yours wasn't? I have the fade error though. I think part of your world is correct as well
MeerkatKombat
Special Edition

Post by MeerkatKombat »

I thought they corrected the Digital copies?
I guess the tail colour wasn't corrected (I doubt it was seen as an error by disney) but I thought POYW definitely was.

Not that I would know for sure as I'm from the UK and we don't get digital copies or DVD copies with our blurays :x
Settling Soul mates? That is grim. And I've played Monopoly alone.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

All the errors are still on the digital copy. One would think that would be far easier to fix rather than each individual Blu-Ray and DVD disc.
ImageImage
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

Hey everyone,

I know I am a little late to the party... I finally got around to buying this TLM on blu ray... but it turns out, it has the two issues (during Part of your World, and the crossdissolve before Scuttle). I recall there was a number one could call to get corrected versions of the movie. Can anyone help me out with the phone number?

Thanks!

M.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

This page should help you Marce82. Scroll down to find the info:

Click here.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I found this video that has almost everything we already know, except at the end. Did we know that Ariel was going to save the day by blocking a lightning bolt from Ursula. I had heard that Jeffery Katzenburg didn't understand how Ariel could defeat Ursula. Is this the same way she was going to save the day that Katzenburg had a problem with? Because in the storyboard images, we can see the trident fall down and it looks like either Sebastian or Eric are going to grab it to destroy Ursula, which really means one of them save the day, not Ariel. Ariel just helped a lot.

Also, did we see these storyboards of Ariel making Ursula lose the trident and lightning bolt and it falling into the water on one of the home video releases already? For some reason I don't remember them. Did we see who got the trident and killed Ursula in them?

Anyway here's the video:
9 Things You (Probably) Didn't Know About The Little Mermaid

On another note, the way Ursula says, "How are you?" to Triton while fingering his trident indicates she likes him sexually, so I doubt they were meant to be siblings in the final film or this scene would be rather incestuous. So I figure she lived in the palace as an aid to the king or something.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Yes, what he means is that Ariel blocks a shot that almost vaporizes Eric, but it's the same storyboards where Sebastian pulls the trident to Eric while he's being drowned by Ursula after Ariel's been knocked out. It's not really that different from the final film where Ariel blocks the shot by jumping her from behind, but Eric deals the final blow--just more climactic with a giant Ursula instead. Ariel saves Eric, then Eric saves Ariel. People always want to reduce that down to "the man saves the girl" and ignore the other part, of course. In TLM's case, it makes me roll my eyes.

Ursula is being flirtatious with Triton, but she's also flirtatious with Ariel and Eric, too. It's just her general behavior, it doesn't confirm desires for Triton, although it's possible to read that into it. Besides, even if you believe she was being flirtatious, that doesn't negate the possibility of a sibling relationship; Ursula and Triton already draw similarities to Morgan le Fay/Arthur.... A family or romantic relationship are both unconfirmed in the film.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, I was wondering if Sebastian or Eric kills Ursula, because I forget what happened since I last saw the deleted scenes on the Platinum Edition. I had a coloring book where Sebastian actually defeated Ursula with the trident! It was one of those books made before the film was finalized.

You're right, Ariel saves Eric from Ursula, then Ursula saves Eric from Ariel. It's just that Eric has more of a challenge. But Ariel actually saves him twice in the movie.
Disney's Divinity

No, I get the need for female characters to solve their own problems, particularly in children’s films which can play a large role in socialization. I think it’s the time at which TLM was released that also puts it under more scrutiny. If the film had been released after stronger characters like Belle, Pocahontas, and Mulan, I’m not sure it would be so bad that she gets saved by Eric at the end since there are story needs for him to do so (ie, proving she’s the “one” for him which has been his only plot in the film). A similar need for the female character to be rescued happens with Megara in Hercules (ie, Hercules proves he's a true hero by risking his life for hers). It’s not a bad thing for a male character to save a female character, even at the climax—there’s a romantic factor to it at times—but it’s just a case of being careful of portraying female characters in only one way repeatedly.

I also had that coloring book. I don't think they ever planned for him to kill Ursula while making the film though. In that video, there's an early concept art of Ursula with a staff that I don't think I'd seen before.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, um, I didn't say there was a problem with Eric saving Ariel, even if she hadn't saved him ever. What were you saying "no" too? I don't know what I said you had a problem with.

As for Sebastian doing in Ursula, and that staff, they were both considered, even if not "planned".
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Serena Valentino is releasing a new novel featuring the story of The Little Mermaid told from Ursula's perspective. It hits shelves on July 26, 2016.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

This reminds me: I had been reading about a new series sort of like Valentino's books that's re-telling the Disney films if a crucial plot point was reversed. The first in the series is Aladdin and was published earlier this week. Apparently, the plot's the same as the movie up until the Cave of Wonders scene, where Jafar gets the lamp (Abu doesn't steal it back) and the power-tripping at the end starts then. Apparently, several characters die or get tortured. Naturally, it's called A Whole New World: A Twisted Tale.

I'm not sure I'll buy these (generally they're not well-written), but they're interesting ideas. I'm kind of scared for when that person gets to TLM. I have a feeling Flounder and Sebastian would die pretty fast, not to mention all of Ariel's sisters... Creepy thoughts.
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

Disney's Divinity wrote:This reminds me: I had been reading about a new series sort of like Valentino's books that's re-telling the Disney films if a crucial plot point was reversed. The first in the series is Aladdin and was published earlier this week. Apparently, the plot's the same as the movie up until the Cave of Wonders scene, where Jafar gets the lamp (Abu doesn't steal it back) and the power-tripping at the end starts then. Apparently, several characters die or get tortured. Naturally, it's called A Whole New World: A Twisted Tale.

I'm not sure I'll buy these (generally they're not well-written), but they're interesting ideas. I'm kind of scared for when that person gets to TLM. I have a feeling Flounder and Sebastian would die pretty fast, not to mention all of Ariel's sisters... Creepy thoughts.
Sounds a lot like fan fiction.
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
Disney's Divinity

Yeah... Just like Wicked, Maleficent, and Serena Valentino's books.

The sad thing is there is good fanfiction out there if you search for it, but almost all of these books/movies are trash.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I'm not sure I'll buy these (generally they're not well-written), but they're interesting ideas. I'm kind of scared for when that person gets to TLM. I have a feeling Flounder and Sebastian would die pretty fast, not to mention all of Ariel's sisters... Creepy thoughts.
The second book in the series takes on Sleeping Beauty. Here's the synopsis:
What if the sleeping beauty never woke up? Once Upon a Dream marks the second book in a new YA line that reimagines classic Disney stories in surprising new ways.

It should be simple--a dragon defeated, a slumbering maiden, a prince poised to wake her. But when said prince falls asleep as soon as his lips meet the princess's, it is clear that this fairy tale is far from over.

With a desperate fairy's last curse infiltrating her mind, Princess Aurora will have to navigate a dangerous and magical landscape deep in the depths of her dreams. Soon she stumbles upon Phillip, a charming prince eager to join her quest. But with Maleficent's agents following her every move, Aurora struggles to discover who her true allies are, and moreover, who she truly is. Time is running out. Will the sleeping beauty be able to wake herself up?
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Sotiris wrote:
Disney's Divinity wrote:I'm not sure I'll buy these (generally they're not well-written), but they're interesting ideas. I'm kind of scared for when that person gets to TLM. I have a feeling Flounder and Sebastian would die pretty fast, not to mention all of Ariel's sisters... Creepy thoughts.
The second book in the series takes on Sleeping Beauty. Here's the synopsis:
What if the sleeping beauty never woke up? Once Upon a Dream marks the second book in a new YA line that reimagines classic Disney stories in surprising new ways.

It should be simple--a dragon defeated, a slumbering maiden, a prince poised to wake her. But when said prince falls asleep as soon as his lips meet the princess's, it is clear that this fairy tale is far from over.

With a desperate fairy's last curse infiltrating her mind, Princess Aurora will have to navigate a dangerous and magical landscape deep in the depths of her dreams. Soon she stumbles upon Phillip, a charming prince eager to join her quest. But with Maleficent's agents following her every move, Aurora struggles to discover who her true allies are, and moreover, who she truly is. Time is running out. Will the sleeping beauty be able to wake herself up?
The part with Maleficent's agents makes this almost sound like a spy novel lol. Otherwise this could either be very well done or as repulsive as the 2014 Maleficent film. Also, is it just me or does it seem like from the description that Aurora has never met Phillip before? The wording is a bit odd imo.
ImageImage