The Little Mermaid Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Re: The Little Mermaid Discussion

Post by Super Aurora »

Disney Duster wrote:Goliath, just pointing out those things about you, including calling out poor Super Aurora when you did the same thing, except worse.
Poor me? He didn't understand at the time that I was making a joke. I didn't even feel slightest offended(it's very hard to offend me btw)
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Re: The Little Mermaid Discussion

Post by Goliath »

Super Aurora wrote:Poor me? He didn't understand at the time that I was making a joke. I didn't even feel slightest offended(it's very hard to offend me btw)
Of course I knew you were joking (I know your kind of humor by now), but still found it somewhat troubling. But the best kind of comedy has been perceived as 'troubling' by large groups of people. :wink:
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

The Little Mermaid Discussion

Post by Disney Duster »

You found your own, same kind of behavior troubling? Indeed, I do too.

Divinity, so do you mean that Ursula considers Ariel without her voice to be a worm? I can understand that coming from Broadway's Ursula, but I don't feel it in the film...maybe. If Ariel kissed Eric, she would live happily, voicelessly ever after.

I do wonder, would Ariel get her voice back though is she became a mermaid again? Only to then become a weird-sounding worm? I don't think so.

There was some debate on another forum that the "Kiss the Girl" song may reveal Ariel would get her voice back if she was kissed, though. I think that it was the lyrics "she don't say a word, and she won't say a word until you kiss the girl". But I'm pretty sure that was just metaphor for how she would "speak" to him if he kissed and loved her, or just saying anything so that he will kiss her! "Yes, you want her", and such!
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

I think it's sad, Duster, how you have taken my analysis of the film and its main character and have turned it into something vulgar and insulting. But that does say more about you than it does about me, since it was you who came up with that relation, not me.
rodis
Special Edition

Post by rodis »

Hi, wanted to share something nice I noticed about TLM. Did you guys notice how many things happen TWICE in the film?

there are two storms at sea

Eric lies unconscious on the beach twice

Ariel sits on a rock watching Eric (part of your world reprise and after the climax)

Ariel is turned into a human twice

There are 2 weddings (Eric and Vanessa, Eric and Ariel)

Eric watches Ariel from the balcony at night, twice

Ariel and Eric ALMOST kiss twice (kiss the girl and when the sun sets)

Ariel and Eric kiss twice (when she's in the purple dress and in the final shot)

lol... felt like sharing :)
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

rodis wrote:Hi, wanted to share something nice I noticed about TLM. Did you guys notice how many things happen TWICE in the film?

Ariel sits on a rock watching Eric (part of your world reprise and after the climax)

Ariel and Eric kiss twice (when she's in the purple dress and in the final shot)

pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

Super Aurora wrote:
rodis wrote:Hi, wanted to share something nice I noticed about TLM. Did you guys notice how many things happen TWICE in the film?

I seriously LOL at this. :lol: :lol: :lol:
ImageImageImageImage

Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

YES!!!!

That's from my favorite Grover/Mr. Johnson sketch!!!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0GOGNE0nWHk?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0GOGNE0nWHk?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Escapay wrote:YES!!!!

That's from my favorite Grover/Mr. Johnson sketch!!!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0GOGNE0nWHk?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0GOGNE0nWHk?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

albert

Sesame Street is so fucking awesome. Anyone who disagree should be shot.

What...don't agree with me??
tightlacedboots
Limited Issue

Re: Little Mermaid DVD

Post by tightlacedboots »

Jack wrote:
ichabod wrote:Why was it banned?
There was, shall we say, a "weiner" on the cover.
http://snopes.com/disney/films/mermaid.htm

The video wasn't really banned. The artwork was just altered on later copies.
You think that's bad... I was a little girl and someone told me about the cover of my VHS tape. When I went home I looked at my comforter and it was on there, too! Pervs.

it's kind of funny now

Oh and don't forget the erection in the film. Look, I'm sorry. This thread is like 12 pages long so this may have already been addressed.

But overall, I really like the film. It was one of my favorites.
Sky Syndrome
Anniversary Edition

Post by Sky Syndrome »

That "What....?" animation above is perfect for how I feel about the time I was 4 or 5 and licked all over this big Ariel poster my mom made for me with posterboard and magic markers.
stitchje1981
Gold Classic Collection

Post by stitchje1981 »

Super Aurora wrote:

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA
This is such a great picture for a reply
AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA
:lol: :lol: :lol:
stitchje1981
Gold Classic Collection

Post by stitchje1981 »

Sky Syndrome wrote:That "What....?" animation above is perfect for how I feel about the time I was 4 or 5 and licked all over this big Ariel poster my mom made for me with posterboard and magic markers.
Owkay, I just kissed everybody goodnight when I was a little kid, but I never licked anything all over.................
:roll: :wink:
Pumpkin Pasties

Post by Pumpkin Pasties »

Returning to El Capitan! Click here!
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

I want Mr. Keane to teach me how to draw the gurl's purty hair like he does. I have been revisiting this film just to see how much Ariel's hair bounces around in both the water and on land. It's almost like it's own sub-character! :o

As for the movie, I'm recalling how much I loved it when I first saw it back in 1990. It might've been the music that got me so hooked; I did rewind the video endlessly during the "Under the Sea" number. "Poor Unfortunate Souls" came to mind 14 years later when I was dealing with the notion that Disney's hand-drawn features might be extinct.

Another part that my brother and I used to rewind to, and stupidly act out was Sebastian's escape from Chef Louis's kitchen. Easily the funniest part of the whole movie. :D

There was also the climax, which at one time scared me more than any other thing in a Disney film. For weeks, I was scared of being in the dark alone, or that a tentacle would grab me from under my seldom-cleaned bed. :oops:

Of course, all of this means that The Little Mermaid was a kick-ass film from every angle, and that the gamble spent on Disney's first fairy tale in 30 years really paid off.
rodis
Special Edition

Post by rodis »

Pumpkin Pasties wrote:Returning to El Capitan! Click here!
I would sooo love to see it on the big screen :(
How I wish I lived in the US :cry:
Rapunzel
Limited Issue

Post by Rapunzel »

PatrickvD wrote:
2099net wrote:I disagree. I think that Ariel's face looks decidedly funny and off-model in lots of shots from The Little Mermaid.

I think the animation on the latest Disney films has been no worse than The Little Mermaid. In fact, I think it is better.
I agree, the animation (on Ariel in particular) isn't very consistent, she looks different in almost every shot. Very annoying.
Yes, that is true. I remember trying to draw her and getting frustrated because she can be so different depending on the screen shot.
"you came for your darling, but the sweet bird sits no longer in the nest, and sings no more"
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Yay to being back in the cinema's in the US !

And also, YAY for us Brits, as shes coming back to the BFI cinema in London for their '50 Animated Classics' list......They are showing every Disney movie, one a week, for 50 weeks. How cool is that ?!
BellesPrince
Gold Classic Collection

Post by BellesPrince »

It's just a shame that it isn't a bigger cinema chain which has a wider, geographic reach than London, as some of us more northern fans would like to see at least some of the films on the big screen.

Oh well, I'm still holding out for a cinema release of Beauty and the Beast in 3D.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I guess so, but at least some celebration of Disney is happening, rather than ignoring the 50 Disney Animated movies, and celebrating them.

You still have Tangled to see !! :D