DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 490 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:28 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Marce82 wrote:
Oh, Disney Duster, I agree that those are better descriptions.

But it is so rare for Disney to admit that they are anything other than blue and bright blonde...

I think that those who are involved in the films and productions can admit that and I don't think they care much about merchandise, though I think when Cinderella is depicted in anything but that gown they tend to make her hair the correct color (like that Funko Pop for example).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:33 am 
Platinum Edition

True, Marce82.

And you know farerb, that is probably right about people close to the film versus merchandise. Interestingly, not only did the pink dress Funko Pop have the correct hair color, but the Disney Fairytale Designer pink dress doll did as well! But her rags doll for the 70th anniversary did have golden blonde hair instead of strawberry blonde.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:25 am 
Limited Edition

That's interesting about the funko pop pink dress figure.

But I looked up the ballgown version, and not only is it the wrong colors, but the current re-design. Ugh.

If you guys have ever seen The Art of the Disney Princess book, Cinderella is rendered with the correct colors in a LOT of the artwork...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:08 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Marce82 wrote:
That's interesting about the funko pop pink dress figure.

But I looked up the ballgown version, and not only is it the wrong colors, but the current re-design. Ugh.

If you guys have ever seen The Art of the Disney Princess book, Cinderella is rendered with the correct colors in a LOT of the artwork...

That design is based on the wretched redesign of the DP:

Though they had a previous one with the film's design, though the colors are still incorrect:

And that's the one with the pink dress and the correct hair color:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:06 am 
Platinum Edition

I hate to say it but the re-design Funko Pop looks better than the film design version. Her film-accurate bun looks ridic on that Funko Pop.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:18 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Both look awful in my opinion. One because it's an old design, the other because it's not really Cinderella.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:15 am 
Platinum Edition

Oh, ok. I feel like they could have handled the film design Pop better, too. Maybe just make the bun a bit smaller, fix the colors, and just all around make it as good as the recent ones I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:39 am 
Platinum Edition

Yeah, yellow-haired Cindy Pop needs some eyebrows!! Besides the hair (and the missing brows!), what about the "old style" of Pop don't you like? I adore the new pink-dress one; I want to get it but haven't yet...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:50 am 
Platinum Edition

I feel her bun would be just the teeniest bit smaller and more tightly together, her skirt would be a bit fuller and her bustle a bit poofier, her sleeves a little thinner and more oval-shaped, and her neckline plunge a little. Like this:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:42 am 
Collector's Edition

This movie is GREAT :) :) :)

A masterpice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:38 pm 
Platinum Edition

blackcauldron85 wrote:
Yeah, yellow-haired Cindy Pop needs some eyebrows!! Besides the hair (and the missing brows!), what about the "old style" of Pop don't you like? I adore the new pink-dress one; I want to get it but haven't yet...
I think that picture of the old Cinderella pop was taken wrong, maybe by a camera that flashed or something? I'm looking at that pop on my shelf, and her hair and dress are definitely not hi-brite like that... I have the Aurora (pink dress), Rapunzel (flower-braided hair), and Alice pops on the same shelf and the Cinderella pop's hair is much darker than those three fellow blonde characters, but by that picture the hair should look as bright yellow as Alice's and it doesn't. IMO, the original Cinderella pop's hair is not that off from the film. It has a tint of orange to the hair. I went to Google to find a picture of what it looks like in-person for me, but it's difficult because it was one of the first pops made and they made other versions of the character since. The closest I could find was a picture of the Hipster variant that only added glasses and sardonic eyebrows:

Here's another one, although harder to see (the original pop is on the left, the others are pops for the live-action remake):

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/8WZMMnDu0VE/maxresdefault.jpg

I suppose it's possible later copies of the same pop could have different colors (and lower quality) though...? Sometimes I've noticed that a pop I've ordered after it's been out for a long time doesn't quite look as great versus pops I bought when they were first put out. I had noticed that with one of the first Frozen pops made back in 2013-14; for some reason the blush on the face was missing on a pop I ordered much later than the rest of the set even though blush was present in the pictures and all the pops in the set I had ordered at first release also featured blush.. And I know they have had old pops they re-colored, because the original Minnie pop wore a pink dress, but then GameStop would give you a version of the same pop and it was red when it came in the mail unlike the picture which showed pink. (I know because I ordered it for myself hoping to get the re-color because I definitely prefer Minnie in red over pink. :P ) I wouldn't be surprised if that might be the case here with Cinderella, that when it first came out the colors were accurate and then Disney had Funko change it later to match their chosen colors for Cinderella as part of the princess line? Who knows what the answer is. I know Funko has serious consistency issues.

As far as what you said bc85, a lot of the older pops had much less detail; many of them didn't have eyebrows or mouths. Some of the newer pops try too much to be like any action figures you would see on the shelf and add too many details to the point they don't look like the Funko style anymore (the new Ursula was like that for me). What's funny about that original pop of Cinderella is the breasts are very noticeably pronounced for some reason. :lol: Even in the movie, her chest isn't that defined. :lol: :lol:

Kesha ~ "Kinky"
Kesha ~ "Little Bit of Love"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:08 pm 
Platinum Edition

Disney's Divinity:Looking at yellow-haired Cinderella's boobs (who's ever typed that!?), yup, more pronounced. I just went through my Pops, and Alice, Mary Poppins (OG), Mermaid Ariel, and Yzma have no eyebrows (and a few animals and Fraggles), but it's not jarring (until now!? :p) looking at them on my shelf vs. that pic of yellow-haired Cinderella! I feel like someone here has mentioned that Pops' color can change as far as what "model" it is, but I had forgotten that.

Disney Duster: Yes, her hairstyle (besides the color) definitely seemed a little off, and you're right about the dress needing to be poofier and fuller, and the neckline, and everything! :p

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 2:46 am 
Platinum Edition

LOL well thanks for agreeing with me, Ames! I'm glad you see what I see!

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 1:26 am 
Platinum Edition

DisneyFan97 wrote:
This movie is GREAT :) :) :)

A masterpice

I forgot to thank you for saying that. Thank you. :) And I agree!

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 6:02 pm 
Platinum Edition

Cinderella being noted as having a gray dress is a great win imo!

Marce82 wrote:
Not only that about the "grey" dress...

I was just checking out Cinderella on Disney+ with audio description. When her dress transforms, it is described as "twinkling white ballgown".

Oddly enough, her hair is described as "long golden brown" at the beginning of the movie (right after she makes her bed her room in the morning).

So much for that yellow blonde the have on the merchandise!

So glad even Disney recognizes that her dress was white, if not gray or silver. I remember some old Disney books would also call her dress either white, silver, or gray.

I'm fine with golden brown as her hair color. It doesn't look super reddish in a lot of the movie and I specifically remember a post from a user here about how they watched the VHS Cinderellas and they were surprised with how brown her hair looked. Her hair could also be considered as dark blonde so golden brown works for me in that regard.

"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 6:31 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Cinderella could have been modeled after actresses from the 40's:

Lauren Bacall:

Rita Heyworth:

Ingrid Bergman:

Lana Turner:

Veronica Lake:

Most of them are blonde, but not "pure" blonde, more like "dirty"/dark/red blonde.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 6:41 pm 
Platinum Edition

farerb wrote:
Cinderella could have been modeled after actresses from the 40's:

Lauren Bacall:
https://i.postimg.cc/Y01Dh9Sh/1-Lauren-Bacall.jpg

Rita Heyworth:
https://i.postimg.cc/287XYVJt/4-rita.jpg

Ingrid Bergman:
https://i.postimg.cc/DfsMCCcn/5-ingrid- ... s-1946.jpg

Lana Turner:
https://i.postimg.cc/rFkY7ShW/6-Turner-Lana-04.jpg

Veronica Lake:
https://i.postimg.cc/jSq3SRYS/7-Veronica-Lake.jpg

Most of them are blonde, but not "pure" blonde, more like "dirty"/dark/red blonde.

That's what I was thinking. I remember reading once that the titian hair color was the most in-vogue during the 1950s so this is why Walt chose that shade for Cinderella's hair.

And I never thought of Lana Turner resembling Cinderella but she really does in that image you posted alongside the rest of the women. I don't remember who Cinderella was modeled after but it wasn't Grace Kelly like so many people think now.

I know when it comes to celebrity inspirations, Aurora and Belle were based on Audrey Hepburn, Ariel based on Alyssa Milano, and Jasmine based on Jennifer Connelly.

I definitely get Joan Crawford parallels from Queen Grimhilde, but I'm not sure if that was deliberately intended or not. I don't remember if Snow White was based off of any particular celebrity from the 1930s, Betty Boop aside.

"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 8:51 pm 
Collector's Edition

Jasmine inspired by Connelly? Mark Henn said her design was based on his sister.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 11:10 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

rodis wrote:
Jasmine inspired by Connelly? Mark Henn said her design was based on his sister.

They are inspired by more than one person.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 11:21 pm 
Platinum Edition

blackcauldron85 wrote:
Disney's Divinity:Looking at yellow-haired Cinderella's boobs (who's ever typed that!?)
:lol: :lol: Yes, it's the thing that most sticks out like a sore thumb with that pop for me.

Kesha ~ "Kinky"
Kesha ~ "Little Bit of Love"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 490 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next