Cinderella Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Cinderella Discussion

Post by Disney Duster »

This is a few days late, but I wrote this on Blu-ray.com's forum thread for your #1 favorite film and why, and I decided I would post it here to celebrate my favorite film's 70th Anniversary. It's got how I first saw Cinderella which is a story some of you already know, but it details that and everything I could think of at the time for why I love the film. It'll have some stuff you didn't know about me, and maybe even stuff about the film you didn't know or realize. So, for me, for celebrating, here it is:

So, what is my favorite film? Well, my username and avatar hint at it. They are about magic dust. Which I guess was kind of invented by J.M. Barrie in Peter Pan with his fairy dust, but Disney invented the use of sparkling dust as the form of magic, and it started in Fantasia, but it was brought to its best use, in my opinion, in Walt Disney’s Cinderella. I drew this poster for the film:

Walt even loved the dust so much he asked for more of it in the film, which is how the magical sparkling dust got the name Disney Dust. Anyway, when I was three years old, I was at a picnic, and was playing on a jungle gym. I was going to swing across it by using the hanging black rings on chains. I reached for one, and…fell and broke my arm. My mom said as I came to her holding my arm, my mouth was open but no sound came out from me for a little bit. To make me feel better, my parents let me pick out a movie to rent from Blockbuster. I saw the Disney Classics VHS of Cinderella, the very first release of it on home video, with the cover of Cinderella in her torn ball gown watching her fairy godmother transform a pumpkin into a coach, and that made me wanna watch it. I don’t remember much of watching the film beyond looking down at my arm in a blue cast around the time the stepsisters hit each other with Anastasia’s flute and were fighting. I love that part. Anyway, I know that I fell in love with the movie, and since then, I have had a deep, long, lasting obsession with it. I have autism spectrum disorder, so that may be why I don’t just love the film, but am obsessed with it. I drew tons and tons of pictures, a lot of them of winding vines coming from the pumpkin, and a lot of Cinderella’s dress transforming. All the transformations I rewound and watched in slow-motion too many times to count, but especially that one. I paused the film and watched it frame-by-frame at many parts. My mom introduced me to other versions of the Cinderella story at the library, and I learned I loved the story itself, too, and loved a lot of versions, but to me, no version was ever as good as Disney’s animated classic. And I still feel that way today.

Why do I love the film? Why do I think it’s so good? I don’t know, and actually I don’t even think the film is that good. It’s really good, yes, but not even the best Disney film ever made (I think that title goes to the animated Beauty and the Beast). But it’s my favorite, and that’s what this thread is about, your #1 favorite film. So, why? Well, I think it is a masterpiece of soft, peaceful, idyllic, lilting, warm, fuzzy, magical feeling. Someone once said it plays like a lullaby, and that’s how I feel, too, despite the very dramatic and almost rape-like scene of the stepsisters destroying Cinderella’s dress, and the stepmother locking Cinderella in her room. This film is golden happiness and silver wistfulness. I wrote that before I got so depressed, I can’t remember exactly why I thought that, more than the sunny and warm scenes made me feel so happy, and the cool, bluish, purplish, white and gray scenes, with choral voices, made me think of wishing or yearning or thinking in a mysterious and peaceful way. So, the film begins with trumpets or some royal-like fanfare and then “Ahahahahahahhhh”…choral voices, making the film feel special and like something amazing was going to take place, glorifying what was to come, and the main titles are these stylistic, beautiful versions of scenes and iconography from the film. Somehow seeing what was to come that way was so exciting and mysterious, and the birds with the ribbon on the glass slipper was the magic as well as the wonderful animal friends happily helping Cinderella, in such a beautiful way. Then there’s that light revealing the storybook and the violin strings adding to the romantic nature of it all. The storybook’s opening pages look like a gorgeously rendered map, with a castle literally in the clouds and even the narrator says the kingdom is “peaceful” and that’s very much how the film feels, especially this opening sequence. The rain on the window as we zoom in to the somber time Cinderella’s father dies and her stepfamily just look off in the cold distance is perfectly dramatic. That dripping rain follows as we see the once glorious chateau in ruins and now very gloomy, but then, as we hear Cinderella remained “ever gentle and kind” through her terrible ordeals (you go girl, you’re strong!), and has hope that she will see a better life someday, the sunlight fills her tower as the birds part the curtains. It’s perfect.

Cinderella herself was perfectly cast. No other Cinderella has been as warm, as whispery, as soft, as gentle, as elegant, as princessy, or evoking a sense of caring and loving as Ilene Woods as Cinderella. She was like the perfect mother. It’s interesting, now that I think about it, the King in the film is looking for the perfect mother. But it’s her stepfamily and especially the animals she puts her care on, and we see she’s a really good person, and to me, even kind of a fun person, and we want her to see her dream come true. And the film starts with her dream. Not all Cinderella movies start as strongly as with a girl talking about her dream, which is a literal dream, too (!), that we see come true in the end. That’s good for the plot, to set up a character’s dream and get the satisfaction of it being achieved. Cinderella’s mice friends are all cute and you hope they get what they want, too. But I must say, the bits with the cat chasing the mice go on too long, and I see them as padding. I even think they extend the ending a little too much with it, despite its Hitchcockian suspense. When Cinderella starts her day and does the first chores around the house, it always felt to me like she was in charge then. Like it was her house still, and it kind of was like she had some happiness to herself then before her stepfamily started barking at her. And she was so bossy with Lucifer! And note, the film is very clever in her mockingly calling the cat “your majesty” when it is Cinderella who will become "her majesty"! The stepfamily is the perfect bunch of evil women for the true-to-original less-than-attractive type. I mean, the stepmother, Lady Tremaine, is kind of good-looking in an aristocratic way, but she’s no beauty queen, and the stepsisters are oafish buffoons, but it works! The stepmother is a clever, cold, calculating and manipulative kind of evil, while her daughters are animalistic basic b****es who can use brute force on you when brought to it! What’s best is the stepmother is scary. With one word, or even one look, she can instill fear and beat you down. And the stepsisters’ brutality is something to be feared when it rears its ugly head! The King is mad, and funny, and the Duke is bumbling and funny in his reactions to him and the other characters. The Fairy Godmother is a sweet, assuring presence with some funny moments to herself. She is such a calming and kindly force, why, she is surely Cinderella’s kindness come back to her almost literally, I am only just realizing now! With her cool periwinkle hooded cloak, benevolence, and awesome magic, she’s my second favorite character after Cinderella, and I was her for Halloween in one of my early years. Lucifer is my third favorite character. Yes, I want less of his antics with the mice in the film, but he’s so hilarious and has a huge personality.

The magic of the film, the literal magic, also of course adds to the magical feeling, because the animation of those transformations is incredible and stunning. The pumpkin coach especially has an amazing sequence from a bouncing fruit with long vines snaking out and winding into wheels, to a stately, very unique-looking mode of transportation, with those awesome spiral wheels. My favorite shape is spirals. And my favorite moment in the film, which is also Walt Disney’s favorite from any of his movies, Cinderella’s transformation, is so gorgeous, so breathtaking, so intricate and awe-inspiring, with the spiral of magic dust swirling around and dripping and sparkling as her tatters form new shapes and her hair flies up like she’s an angel, completed with a magic dust halo to further symbolize her goodness, c'est magnifique! The Fairy Godmother scenes of this film truly have a dream-like feeling that no other film can match! Cinderella’s silver and white gown is my favorite clothing design ever, with the wide, three-pleated skirt, the puffy bustle, the cap sleeves, and her hair in the three-sphered up-do, it all is what Cinderella just is and should be to me. The designs in the film are all the best and most beautiful for any Cinderella film. 19th century costumes ranging from many different decades, with hoopskirts and bustles and feathers for the women, and epaulets and braids for the men. And the architecture, such tall, grand 18th century buildings, with the castle being the tallest one, so high it reaches the clouds with it’s whimsical, fine-pointed parapets and turrets. When Cinderella gets to the ball, the pink and gold world around her is so lush and ethereal with chandeliers that hang seemingly into the heavens. And Cinderella is the only one admiring all of that instead of looking for the Prince, another aspect of her character. The Prince is pretty much a nothing character, but his scene of “So This is Love” with Cinderella is so romantic, so visually cool and kind of otherworldy, so heavenly and heady, that is my preferred way of seeing Cinderella fall in love with the Prince out of any version. It is the most beautiful.

The story is clever. Even though I feel the mice are a subplot and padding, they do have a big purpose, showing Cinderella’s kindness, helping make her dress for the ball and adding to the drama of it getting destroyed because they took what the stepsisters wore, and freeing Cinderella from her room in an intense sequence. It was so smart of Disney to add that the stepmother cruelly plays with Cinderella’s hopes, then dashes them when she has her daughters tear apart her gown, and I feel the deep sadness for Cinderella at that part. And it was even more clever to have the glass slipper break, and cleverer yet for Cinderella to use the other slipper to, in a way, save herself! I feel the elation of that moment and the happy ending.

Everything Cinderella does comes back to her. She made clothes for the mice, they made her a dress. She freed them from cages, they freed her from her tower, and even helped free her from her terrible life. Cinderella is a hero, even if just for the mice, and standing up for herself, like in that part where she says "Why not?" she be able to go to the ball (no other version has a Cinderella be strong in that way!), and using the other glass slipper cleverly to help herself! And of course, Cinderella’s kindness came back to her in the form of her fairy godmother’s magic, which also came because of her holding onto hope that her dreams would come true and she would someday truly be happy again. I love the character of Walt Disney’s Cinderella, and I have loved many other versions of her and her story, but it is Walt Disney’s Cinderella which is the movie I will always love the most, more than anything in the world. I dream of my dreams coming true. I keep holding onto hope I can make them come true. And if not in this world, maybe in Heaven, or somewhere in the universe, or beyond. I believe that someday, my depression will end and I will be fully happy again. Happily Ever After.

Happy 70th Anniversary, my darling Cinderella! :mickana: :party: :pink:
Last edited by Disney Duster on Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Disney Duster wrote:And the film starts with her dream. Not all Cinderella movies start as strongly as with a girl talking about her dream, which is a literal dream, too (!), that we see come true in the end.
I don't know if I've thought of it in that way, but you're absolutely right! I really like that part of the film.
And it was even more clever to have the glass slipper break, and cleverer yet for Cinderella to use the other slipper to, in a way, save herself! I feel the elation of that moment and the happy ending.
I love when she pulls out that slipper. You go girl x 1000!!! So happy for her then.
And if not in this world, maybe in Heaven, or somewhere in the universe, or beyond. I believe that someday, my depression will end and I will be fully happy again. Happily Ever After.
That brought tears to my eyes- I hope your dreams come true!!

Great essay!

I actually really like the mice...I can definitely understand when people say they'd like less of them, but I'm rooting for them as much as I am for Cinderella. I watched the movie again a couple months ago- it's always a joy watching it, with the suspense and the romance- it's a great movie!
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I agree with blackcauldron85, that's a great essay, Disney Duster! So well written and with so much heart. I loved reading it. There were some things I hadn't realized or thought much about before like how the favors she does for others come back to her or that she actually saves herself by pulling out the other slipper. The people who criticize these movies, never acknowledge the positive things like that one. Cinderella is not my favorite Disney film, but it's in my top 5 and the character itself is my favorite from the princesses from Walt's era. She has more personality than many female Disney characters from that period and I agree with the things you said about her.

The drawing you did is also beautiful and very creative. I really hope too that your dreams come true. :)
blackcauldron85 wrote:I actually really like the mice...I can definitely understand when people say they'd like less of them, but I'm rooting for them as much as I am for Cinderella.
I really like the mice too, in my opinion they're great sidekicks. I can also understand that some people would prefer the story would focus only on Cinderella, but their scenes are not boring to me. In fact, the scene where they make the dress is one of my favorites from the film. And as Disney Duster said, they contribute a lot to the story.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Wow, you two really made me joyful. I posted this thinking it might not get any posts back. I agree, the mice are cute, and I like them! I just wish we had a litte more time devoted to Cinderella and the Prince. I agree, when she pulls out the slipper it's like "You go girl!" And I can't remember enough from all of Walt's films and shorts to know if Cinderella has among the female characters some of the most personality, but that's cool if she does! Thank you both for what you said about my essay and drawing! I love when the mice make the dress, too! Thank you for everything D82 and blackcauldron85, and Amy, you're so sweet for showing such emotion for me!

I forgot to write about the part where Cinderella stands up for herself by saying she has every right to go to the ball. I edited my essay with that now. Just another strength added to the character.

You know, just getting responses from two people when I actually didn't expect to get responses, really brought me such joy and makes me feel that God or something in the universe really does love me and my dreams of happiness will come true.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Disney Duster wrote: I just wish we had a litte more time devoted to Cinderella and the Prince.

I forgot to write about the part where Cinderella stands up for herself by saying she has every right to go to the ball.
I, too, wish that Prince Charming had more character development. I guess one bright spot is we understand some of the pressure he's under by the scenes of his dad.

Yes, when Cinderella stands up for herself!! While people call Ariel "fiery," (did I spell that right?!) it's not an adjective used for Cinderella often, but she has some fire in her, she knows that she matters. I love that she has her dreams to continuing to give her that feeling.

You are so welcome!! You know I always enjoy reading your posts. I care about you, buddy!!! <3
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I'm glad getting our responses made you happy, Disney Duster. :) I think the faith you have in your dream is very important. I was quite depressed for around two long years in which my mind was only at peace when I was sleeping (and I slept a lot during that time), but deep down I knew that wouldn't last forever and I would be well again someday, as it happened. I know your condition is not the same as mine, but not giving up on your dreams can only be positive in my opinion.
Disney Duster wrote:I forgot to write about the part where Cinderella stands up for herself by saying she has every right to go to the ball. I edited my essay with that now. Just another strength added to the character.
Yes, she also showed her strength in that scene. I think it's very easy to criticize Cinderella for not doing more to change her life, but people who haven't been in a similar situation don't know how difficult it is for someone who has been treated like her since their childhood and has lost their self-esteem to stand up for themselves. So, it actually takes more courage than one may think to do what she did on those two occasions.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

It's true blackcauldron85, the King is a dangerous, mad guy, though good at heart, and he does pressure the Prince!

Fiery is the right spelling, and word for Ariel, it even matches her fiery red hair! Cinderella does have some fire, too! I have always loved her combination of a little fire with a very soft personality. She has orange hair, that's kinda like fire, lol. I like reading your posts too, and I also really care about you!

Wow, D82, what happened to you is sad, but that you got out of it is amazing. I have been depressed for 12 years. It probably will not end for me till, well, not to be morbid, but till death. That is why I hope very much for Heaven or some happy afterlife. And I am ok with believing that against all odds. I am so glad you made it through your depression! That's so amazingly wonderful! Yes, Cinderella has been abused so much of her life, since she was a child, plus women's options were so limited, so it was very hard for her.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Like I said in Blu-ray.com, that is a gorgeous drawing and I love how you have Cinderella actually dreaming, unaware that her wish is about to come true. Making the logo out of the pink sash is an ingenious idea, especially with the mice working on it.

I've said this before, but I'm really glad that out of a misfortune like injuring yourself, you were introduced to one of the great loves of your life. And it's really remarkable that to this day, this version of Cinderella is still your absolute favorite even as you've come to love so many other versions of the story. There truly is magic in Walt Disney's work, like the fairy dust you've named yourself after. I'm glad Cinderella inaugurated that way before Peter Pan or Sleeping Beauty. Your thoughts on why this film is your favorite, even if it isn't objectively the best Disney film, are beautiful in your description of how Cinderella makes you feel, especially now that you are struggling with your depression. I truly hope your love for this film and the message it tells us to keep on believing and fighting for our dreams no matter what, will help you recapture some of your lost essence and find peace again.

I've always known your feelings about Cinderella the character and even the Fairy Godmother but I had no idea that Lucifer was your third favorite character from the movie. He's truly so well done that I don't even quite mind the antics with the mice. And I agree with you about the designs for this film, not just Cinderella's silver gown (which is the most beautiful princess dress of all time), but also the design of the palace that resembles Versailles. I love the fairy tale castles that reach the sky, planted on clouds almost like they belong in heaven. And I especially love how much pink is in the palace interior while the exterior is this marble white that turns blue in the night much like Cinderella's dress.

The mice work for me overall and that moment at the end of the film, when she pulls out the slipper is perhaps one of the most magical moments, rivaling even the transformation sequence because it is this scene that cements Cinderella's happily ever after. Walt truly understand the dramatics of a story and what needed to be altered in the transition from the page to the screen.

Also I really like how people noted that out of the classic princesses, Cinderella is the most spunky and possesses the most fire. I never attributed that to her hair color but that just makes copper red/orange even more of a better choice for her. One of my aunts is not really a Disney Princess fan but she always said that growing up with the classic princesses, Cinderella was her favorite because she was the only one who had a backbone (coincidentally, Ariel is her favorite of the "new" princesses so maybe that red hair color really does tie these two princesses together in terms of a fiery personality).

Thank you overall for sharing your thoughts and feelings about this beloved film! I'm so glad it exists for all the lovers and the dreamers out there like you and I truly believe that Walt Disney would be overjoyed by the fact that even decades from the film's release, it is still capturing the hearts of new generations and that's truly the most perfect legacy he could leave us.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Thanks JeanGreyForever for everything you said. Yes, I guess I wanted to use the dream idea for my poster, and I always love a pink ribbon doing something pretty, lol.

Yes, Walt Disney and perhaps the Disney essence has made sure almost all their films are so, so good, that they really are hard to beat when it comes to adaptations of stories. What they did with Cinderella made it the best in my opinion and in it seems most people's opinions, too. Yes, it is cool a tragedy turned out to lead to such a good thing for me. Yes, I like that Cinderella is where Disney dust was born! Yes, I have to keep believing in and fighting for my dreams. We all really need to and this film indeed says that. I don't think I can recapture what I lost, but Cinderella-related stuff is a constant happiness in my life.

Yes, Lucifer adds to my enjoyment sometimes with the mice. Yes, castles that are like in heaven is an awesome idea! I think that's what Walt was going for with Snow White and Cinderella's movie castles. And yes, the pink inside of the palace but white-that-turns-blue outside of the palace is so cool! Yes, Walt really did understand the dramatics of a story. I'm so glad you think Cinderella's silver dress is the best Disney Princess dress! So do I, though of course I am biased!

I love what you, and your aunt, said about Cinderella out of the classic princesses! Yes, Cinderella is a red-head (or strawberry blonde, in my personal opinion, just because I like blonde hair) and so is Ariel! Maybe red in hair does connect to fire, but Belle and Jasmine are kind of fiery too, though Ariel is the most fiery for sure!

What you said in the end of your post in response to mine was so beautiful and I so agree!
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Perhaps even if you can't recapture what you lost exactly, as they often say that once innocence is lost, it can never be fully restored much like most people's childhoods, you can at least have Cinderella as a constant source of solace to get you by in the hardest of times.

I'm also a big fan of Cinderella's pink dress even though most people really hate on that. The Grace Kelly/1950s inspired wedding gown is a real classic as well. I much prefer it over the decked out version they give her in clipart, books, or other forms of merchandise including A Twist in Time. Simplicity suits Cinderella.

Yes, you're right that Belle and Jasmine are pretty fiery too. So is Esmeralda. Anya is sorta a redhead and she has that same fire within her.

I'm glad you felt what I said was beautiful and that you agree!
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I think what you said about innocence is right, and what you said about what Cinderella can be to me is right.

Yes, I love Cinderella's pink dress. Not a huge amount, but to a degree. I love her wedding dress, too, it's so classy to me. I agree simplicity suits Walt's Cinderella character. In my opinion it is the best wedding dress Disney has done, after first Giselle's and then Tiana's, actually after both of Tiana's, lol!

I agree about Esmeralda and Anya!
bradhig
Anniversary Edition

Post by bradhig »

I don't think Cinderella ,Aurora ,and other princesses could have headbands I don't think they have been around that long.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I like Giselle's wedding dress but both of Tiana's gowns do nothing for me. One looks like a ball of lettuce of cabbage and the other doesn't really scream "wedding" to me especially with those green accents.
bradhig wrote:I don't think Cinderella ,Aurora ,and other princesses could have headbands I don't think they have been around that long.
Aurora does wear a headband as Briar Rose in Sleeping Beauty. And Cinderella's Victorian Era is the most modern era of the fairy tale Disney Princesses so I'm sure headbands existed by the late 1800s. Jasmine's headband, from the medieval era, I've sometimes heard referred to as a crown or tiara.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Bradhig, I know that Cinderella could have had a headband since there was a band of cloth on a girl in a 19th century painting.

JeanGreyForever, alright, I get why you don't like the Bayou wedding dress, but I still like both of Tiana's wedding dresses and actually it is the green accents on the second one that make me love it so.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Disney Duster wrote:Another thing I wish I added to my review. Cinderella defeated the villain in her film. The villain is not defeated until she reveals the other shoe. It wasn't a genius idea she had, but it was an idea and action nontheless.
Sorry for bumping this thread, Disney Duster, but I'm writing an entry of Cinderella for my blog. Do you mind if I use your statement to the discussion?
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, no, I do not mind, I would be honored! I hope to read your entry when it is finished!
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Aaaw, that's sweet :) Here it is: https://mydisneyanalysis.blogspot.com/2 ... l-and.html. But I hope you don't mind that I'm also discusssing the weaknesses of the movie as well. Btw, I've written your username, so you can find it ;)
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I read it! Wow, what a thorough and comprehensive entry! It hit and covered probably everything you should for that type of blog entry! I wanted to say a few things. First, I enjoyed those funny comments about the birds eating Cinderella's brain, Cinderella III being from political correctness, fanfiction, and money, and the live-action coach being the Easter wagon! I also want to say in regards to the placement of Cinderella in the trilogy of Walt's fairy tale films, I find Cinderella second after Snow White, and I find Sleeping Beauty to be the weakest because Snow White is obviously best, and Cinderella has emotions that Sleeping Beauty doesn't. Sleeping Beauty is the least emotional of those films. Also, about the stepsisters and Lucifer, I do not see them as weak villains at all. I see them as comedic characters that manage to pull off being real threats, through true Disney magic. I also did not understand your final view of Cinderella's passiveness. Do you think she should have saved herself more directly or she earned her happiness by being a good person? Oh, and that thing about the slipper originally being fur is a rumor, a theory created in the 19th century, it is not a proven fact.

But great entry! I'm glad you love the film. I love what you said about the live-action film, too!
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I'm glad people are dispelling that myth about the glass slippers really being meant to be fur because of a mistranslation.
ImageImage
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Disney Duster wrote:I read it! Wow, what a thorough and comprehensive entry! It hit and covered probably everything you should for that type of blog entry! But great entry! I'm glad you love the film. I love what you said about the live-action film, too!
Really? Thank goodness. I was afraid that you would find my entry off-putting, since I'm discussing it's weaknesses first. So I was afraid that it would seem as I hate the movie, which I don't.
I wanted to say a few things. First, I enjoyed those funny comments about the birds eating Cinderella's brain, Cinderella III being from political correctness, fanfiction, and money, and the live-action coach being the Easter wagon!
I also want to say in regards to the placement of Cinderella in the trilogy of Walt's fairy tale films, I find Cinderella second after Snow White, and I find Sleeping Beauty to be the weakest because Snow White is obviously best, and Cinderella has emotions that Sleeping Beauty doesn't. Sleeping Beauty is the least emotional of those films.
Well, I understand why you think so. Sleeping Beauty could easily be perceived as being more steril, since it's more pretentious, stylistic and po-faced. Yet personally, I though it had moments of pathos and emotion as well. Despite how Aurora's screentime doesn't get expanded enough, I personally think they managed to pull off some sympathy for her. When she mourns over Philip and when Malificent puts on the curse, I personally think they've succeeded to make you feel sorry for her.
Also, about the stepsisters and Lucifer, I do not see them as weak villains at all. I see them as comedic characters that manage to pull off being real threats, through true Disney magic.
Fair enough. I don't consider them to be weak. I just find that they're too over the top despicable in an off-putting way. But hey, that should be considered that they've done their job well ;)
I also did not understand your final view of Cinderella's passiveness. Do you think she should have saved herself more directly or she earned her happiness by being a good person
Well, this entry wasn't about my personal opinion about her passiveness. But about how she's usually perceived as such, right? We all know how our dear Cindy is practically criticized for being passive and that was something that what I wanted to discuss. Not about my personal opinion about it.
Oh, and that thing about the slipper originally being fur is a rumor, a theory created in the 19th century, it is not a proven fact.
Oh, sorry about that. I just picked it up through my research. But I can correct it.