Cinderella Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Cinderella Discussion

Post by AwallaceUNC »

I know we skipped Bambi because there had already been a lot of discussion over the movie due to the upcoming platinum (we'll come back to it later). However, the PE for Cinderella is a bit further off, and most of the discussion over it has concerned the DVD, not the movie.

Of the animated classics we've had "discussions" for so far, this is my favorite. The story of Cinderella is a wonderful one to begin with. Disney really does it justice. This is one of 5 or 6 animated classics that I would give 10/10- a summation of all that Disney is-- the pinnacle (thus far).

From the songs to the characters to the animation itself, Cinderella is truly a classic. I think my favorite song is probably A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes.

The film also makes brilliant use of subtle comic relief with the Fairy Godmother, the King, and the mice. Lady Tremaine makes a great villain, even if she doesn't stand out among some of Disney's others.

Finally, the character of Cinderella and her plight seems to be very identifiable for many people. Perhaps that why even though she wasn't the first Disney princess, I think she remains the most popular. And her castle is awesome!

This is one of those small handful of films that really define what Disney is and means to me. It's a shame that so much of the younger generation isn't even familar with it, but hopefully that can be rectified with the upcoming DVD release. I fear that it may still be lost on a certain age range, though, who didn't have it when they were still watching Disney movies as small children (5th - 8th graders now, or so).

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

I know! There are tons of little girls (my little sister in particular) who love Cinderella the character, but have never seen the movie or have no desire to, because they think its to old. When will they understand that all these "old" movies are so great! The are a ton better than the new generation Disney animated movies like the horrible potty-humor filled disaster Home on the Range.
Kram Nebuer
Anniversary Edition

Post by Kram Nebuer »

lord-of-sith wrote:I know! There are tons of little girls (my little sister in particular) who love Cinderella the character, but have never seen the movie or have no desire to, because they think its to old. When will they understand that all these "old" movies are so great!
Hopefully the Platinum DVD release will help this matter! You're right about little girls and Cinderella. My sister says she sees A LOT of little girls dressed as Cinderella. She says she is the most popular princess with that age group.

Cinderella was the first Disney movie I ever saw and our first VHS. I always loved it because of the mice and all the magic of a fairy tale. Aaron, you forgot to mention Lucifer as a villain! I think he is one of the funniest Disney villains.

My favorite song...hmmm...I always liked the Work Song. I guess because of the mice :lol: . But an early version of the lyrics* had Cinderella singing and also a break into a slow melody. It was basically the same as the Mice version, but with better grammar, lol. I also liked the nonsense word song Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo. For a short while it was my cell phone ringtone. :)

*If anyone is interested: (the tune is basically the same as the final one. I hope they include this version as a song demo on the DVD.)
Cinderella, Cinderella,
All I hear is Cinderella,
From the moment that I get up,
Till shades of night are falling
There isn't any let up,
I hear them calling, calling,
"Go up and do the attic and
Go down and do the cellar,
You can do them both together, Cinderella."

(Slower melody with flats)
How lovely it would be
If I could live my fantasy
But in the middle of my dreaming
They're screaming at me...

Cinderella, Cinderella,
All I hear is Cinderella,
From the moment that I get up,
Till shades of night are falling
There isn't any let up,
I hear them calling, calling,
"Go up and do the attic and
Go down and do the cellar,
You can do them both together, Cinderella."
<a href=http://kramnebuer.dvdaf.com/>My ºoº DVDs </a>
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Yeah, you're right, Lucifer is one of the more memorable villain side-kicks. Those lyrics are awesome. Were they on the laserdisc or something? I hope they make the DVD.

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Kram Nebuer
Anniversary Edition

Post by Kram Nebuer »

I found the lyrics in "The DIsney Collection: Best Loved Songs From Disney Movies, Television, Shows, and Theme Parks" piano-vocal-guitar book. The publishers I think printed original sheet music because some of the other songs have different lyrics than the movie versions.
Prince Eric
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Eric »

Of the three "classic" fairy tales, Cinderella is definately my favorite. I haven't seen it in ages, and I think I'm going to wait for the Platinum release to see it again, so I can really appreciate more. However, I think there's lots of Disney movies that I would give perfect "10's." I do agree, though, that it would be in my Top 10. THe songs are very catchy, especially for it being one of Disney's older efforts. The sidekicks are very adorable and have a personailty of their own with their own plight. The animation is truly amazing and if there's anything wrong with it, I haven't found it. I think that she's more loved than Snow White because she actually has a personality and an indentifiable situation. Granted, she'd lose in a catfight with Disney's modern-day heroines, but she held her ground well into the late ninties as the "Queen of Disney." She, arguably, still is. Which bothers me, because she was the first to go in our Disney Princess Survivor game which is going on right now. I think that was due to an unawareness of the game on the general forums, especially since I only have three votes, (not including mine) for Round 2! Anyway, it's a great movie. Meritoriously, this movie is high up on the 42-movie animated list. Personally, I would rank Mulan and Pocahontas higher than it, but that's because of personal attachment to those films. All biased aside, I can't wait for the Platinum Edition. ! Especially because I was never able to get Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs or Sleeping Beauty on DVD. :cry:
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

I absolutely love this film. I believe it was the first movie I ever saw, Disney or otherwise. I used to watch it like 3 times a day every day and it drove my parents insane. It's always been a big part of my life, and if there's one Disney movie that collectively sums up what the company is all about, it's Cinderella. The animation is gorgeous, with Cindy herself being one of the most gracious and realistic animated heroines thanks to the genius that is Marc Davis. The entire score is filled with great songs; not a single dud exists on this soundtrack. If there's only one flaw I find with the film, it's that Cinderella is a supporting player in her own film. The mice tend to be the main focus, which isn't REALLY a bad thing since they're charming, but it'd be nice to see Cindy get more screentime. Disney did the same thing to an even more extreme extent in Sleeping Beauty. All in all, though, it's an excellent film and I absolutely can't wait to own it in 2005 (it even gets the honor of the being the first Platinum released after I graduate from high school ;)).
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Kelvin, I think it's very possible that it's the first film I ever saw as well- that or The Wizard of Oz. "A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes," as I said when we were doing the site's song countdown, is also one of those songs that transcends the movie it's in. Not only does it perfectly frame the rest of the film, but it really provides a musical embodiment for Disney. I think that if Disney as a whole has a theme song, it's likely this (the other possible contendor being "When You Wish Upon A Star." Daniel Beddingfield's big band cover is great.

Ok, I just had to harp a little more about that song, and will probably harp some more about the movie before all is said and done. :wink: This is the first movie we've discussed so far that really gets me excited. I love the others, but this is the first that we've come to that I really clung to as a child.

-Aaron
• Twitter - @aaronspod
DreamerQ18
Anniversary Edition

Post by DreamerQ18 »

Oh what to say about Cinderella? Well this was the 2nd Disney movie I remember seeing as a child and the 2nd one my pearents bought me. I absolutley loved it everything about it was just so magical to me. And I love the mice Gus Gus was my favorite. My favorite secen is when she is cleaning the main hall and she is sing and there are all these bubbles and she is in all of them in different colors. And Lucifer makes the floor dirty again Lol. I know its mean but that always craked me up and she says you mean old thing. And I love the ball sequence where her and prince charming sing so this is love. This is just one of my favorite movies in which I feel I really saw the magic that is know today as Disney. And I am looking foward to its PE relase. My VHS wont make it much longer I watched it that many times when I was younger. :D
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Yeah, that bubble scene really is a work of art. I can't wait to see it in a pristine transfer!

-Aaron
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Ciaobelli
Special Edition

Post by Ciaobelli »

lord-of-sith wrote:I know! There are tons of little girls (my little sister in particular) who love Cinderella the character, but have never seen the movie or have no desire to, because they think its to old. When will they understand that all these "old" movies are so great! The are a ton better than the new generation Disney animated movies like the horrible potty-humor filled disaster Home on the Range.
Strap her to a chair and make her watch it. Once its over and she asks to see it again and again you take it away from her so she can't.
reaganhockey
Limited Issue

Post by reaganhockey »

I agree, I hope that the rerelease of the more orginal disney films will help younger kids realize how great they are. The kids I babysit for refuse to watch anything besides Toy Story and the new Star Wars. I brought over the Lion King DVD and because it was in DVD format they didn't think it was so old, so they watched it, and ended up loving it.

Altho I can't really talk for myself. I haven't seen/ and refuse to see the older movies that my parents and older cousins always talk about. ehehehe
--Reagan

Everything is more beautiful because we are doomed
marcosfts

Post by marcosfts »

I am a huge fan of Disney's "Cinderella", which I consider a real classic. I'm 20 years old now and when I was a child of course I knew who Cinderella was but I didn't know anything about Disney's Cinderella... until 1992 when it was finally released here in Brazil in VHS format for sale. I asked it to my mother as my Christmas gift and she bought it for me and, oh, I loved it so much! And this is my favourite classic, together with "The Little Mermaid". I really can't wait to see it on Disney DVD! :)
_Kevin_

Post by _Kevin_ »

It's a really great movie I liked it more then Snowwhite 'cuz the story was more magical. However I do prefer The Little Mermaid over this one. And some others as well but still a great movie!
Kevin
MickeyMousePal
Signature Collection

Post by MickeyMousePal »

Yes, Cinderella is one of my favorite Disney films I always watch it because it's so romatic and so wonderful to see every month.
I'm glad it got the Platinum Treatment because it's one of my top 20 favorite Disney film. :D
The Simpsons Season 11 Buy it Now!

Fox Sunday lineup:

8:00 The Simpsons
8:30 King of the Hill
9:00 Family Guy
9:30 American Dad

Living in the 1980's:
Tony
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Tony »

My Daughter and I are watching Cinderella as I type this message.

It really is a magnificient movie. I have a pirated DVD of this movie, but am really looking forward to seeing a perfect copy next year.

I totally agree the mice upstage Cinderella, but overall I'm not sure how much more could have been shown of Cindi doing housework !..
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

I've never looked to see if the mice upstage Cinderella, but in the hundreds of times I've watched the movie, I never came away with that impression, so that has to count for something, right? The mice do get a good bit of screen time, but I don't think it ever changed my perception. If ever side-kicks upstaged the main characters, it was Timoon & Pumbaa, but even that wasn't too bad, and really occured more in the aftermath of the film.

-Aaron
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Kram Nebuer
Anniversary Edition

Post by Kram Nebuer »

I found a quote that definitely explains the difference between Snow White and Cinderella:
If you don't like Cinderella because she seems so "naive" and "weak," listen to this quote from the Walt himself: "She believed in dreams, all right, but she also believed in doing something about them. When Prince Charming didn't come along, she went over to the palace and got him." ºOº
- Walt Disney, speaking of Cinderella in 1949.
More Disney quotes seen here
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

That's a wonderful quote! Thanks, Kram. :)

-Aaron
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Disney Dust

Post by Disney Duster »

OMG! I'M ECSTATIC! I really thought my first post in here would be analyzing the film, but no. I was reading this really great book, The Animated Movie Guide, in my college library, and I actually read every article of interest to me in order, not wanting to jump ahead to my favorite film, and then when I got to the entry for Cinderella, I read something that lit up my eyes:
The luminous particles that accompany the Fairy Godmother's magic spell so enthralled Walt Disney that he asked his effects animators to put more of it in the scene. The effect was known forever after as "Disney Dust."
:o :float: I never knew this! And now I'm so glad to know! That's the great thing. Just when you think you know everything you can about an interest, you learn something new that shakes up your world. I love Walt Disney now more than ever.

But I find two things very strange:

Why did I never know this before? It may be because it was considered very trivial. Effects animators are never given the same attention as character animators, sadly. But how am I to know this information is 100% accurate? This book has unknown information on many things, including much more information on the world's first animated feature film, The Adventures of Prince Achmed, but it called the Fairy Godmother's song, "Bippity Boppity Boo" when should be "Bibbidi Bobbidi Boo".

Another thing that is strange is that if this is a known fact at Disney, why do they always call sparkles used for magic effects pixie dust? If Tinker Bell is seen with sparkles, obviously it is her dust, but when others use sparkles in magic and it is not gold like the dust in Peter Pan, it should not be called pixie dust. Cinderella was made before Peter Pan, yet Disney Dust does not get it's due. That is a shame.

And now everyone goes "OOOOHHHH, that's why he's Disney Duster". :P