Cinderella Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Cinderella Discussion

Post by Disney Duster »

I'm glad so many people are paying attention to things like this! Pap, at first I thought Cinderella's dress was always sparkling with Disney dust, but actually it seems it only sparkles when it moves, indicating it's just sparkly. But it's hard to tell and I'll pay extra attention later. But yes, part of the reason it's my favorite is because is was made by magic, as was Aurora's.

Speaking of, Aurora's basically needs the colors right. Dark bodic, lighter skirt, even lighter peplum (trim around the waist) and sleeves, and even lighter collar. And the crown just plane looks weird. Also, her necklace is not right, it's like a gold plate hanging on a gold chain. Snow White's sleeves also need help, they aren't the tear drop shapes. Belle needs the correct colors, but I actually don't mind the roses, because they are like a nod to another part of the film, kind of like how I feel Cinderella's bow in the back is a nod to the pink dress in the film. But Cinderella needs clear slippers with hearts on them, and bad!

Wow, a lot of talk about theme park costumes! Now, what I really have a problem with is Cinderella's castle not looking like the one in the film, not even having the clock in the tower, and the coach is a little off, but, well, it makes me think that the point is they make different representations of the films' designs, for costumes or other.
pap64
Platinum Edition

Re: Cinderella Discussion

Post by pap64 »

Disney Duster wrote:I'm glad so many people are paying attention to things like this! Pap, at first I thought Cinderella's dress was always sparkling with Disney dust, but actually it seems it only sparkles when it moves, indicating it's just sparkly. But it's hard to tell and I'll pay extra attention later. But yes, part of the reason it's my favorite is because is was made by magic, as was Aurora's.

Speaking of, Aurora's basically needs the colors right. Dark bodic, lighter skirt, even lighter peplum (trim around the waist) and sleeves, and even lighter collar. And the crown just plane looks weird. Also, her necklace is not right, it's like a gold plate hanging on a gold chain. Snow White's sleeves also need help, they aren't the tear drop shapes. Belle needs the correct colors, but I actually don't mind the roses, because they are like a nod to another part of the film, kind of like how I feel Cinderella's bow in the back is a nod to the pink dress in the film. But Cinderella needs clear slippers with hearts on them, and bad!

Wow, a lot of talk about theme park costumes! Now, what I really have a problem with is Cinderella's castle not looking like the one in the film, not even having the clock in the tower, and the coach is a little off, but, well, it makes me think that the point is they make different representations of the films' designs, for costumes or other.
I know I am being weird about this, but I tend to be nitpicky on certain things. Like I mentioned, Disney strives in delivering a realistic real life representation of their films and franchises. In other words, dreams come true at the Disney theme parks. So its disappointing to see them being so sloppy when it comes to certain character costumes, props and places. I know it takes money to accomplish, but even if you don't go "all out" you can still create something that mimics the original film as closely as budget would allow.

I've been seeing videos of the Cinderella meet and greets at the parks and at times it disappoints me seeing Disney treating their characters with so disrespect.

Like I mentioned in my first thread, the first thing guests do is ask her about the Glass slippers, which is undeniably THE most important thing about her and the film. Little girls have actually looked under her skirt just to see them. So I can imagine the surprise when the girls see that she is wearing silver shoes., even though she is wearing the ball gown that accompanies her GLASS SLIPPERS. I'm pretty sure that clear shoes could do the effect well.

Then, the girls ask her why is her dress blue. Her answer its because its her favorite color. See? They are already contradicting themselves. Never in the film was her dress blue. Her dress is blue because Disney marketing thought that little girls needed to know their basic colors. Again, little girls feel confused about it since they see the ORIGINAL character do one thing, and the face character say ANOTHER.

For the record here's the glass video I was telling you about:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOden6nW1Kg

About the Disney Dust, Duster, even if the material was just sparkly you have to agree that it adds a magical element to it and makes it unlike any other dress you have seen. If you were to line up all the girls that visited Prince Charming Cindy would be noticeable from a mile away. Her dress is THAT special, and its special because it was made by magic.
ImageImageImageImage

kurtadisneyite
Gold Classic Collection

some color and dress thoughts

Post by kurtadisneyite »

Cinderella's restoration changed some colors because the color timers were referring to the cel paints themselves, _not_ the color the cels were supposed to produce after going through the Technicolor Dye-transfer process prevalent in the 50's, but virtually gone today.
The most accurate Cinderella film in terms of color today is Cinderella III, where its timers, using digital paint, did a very good job matching the colors seen in the original Technicolor prints.

As for the live action Cinderellas in the parks, there are some practicalities to consider. A white or light blue dress of solid color would stain very quickly, and Glasslike Plastic shoes would be extremely hot and uncomfortable to wear. Hence a blue dress made up of a fine floral brocade pattern, which helps hide dirt, and silver fabric (with leather beneath?) shoes to let the character's feet breath.
Besides, putting the character in a body corset to match the animated Cinderella's slender waistline would be sheer torture :shock:
2D isn't Ded yet!
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

pap64 wrote:So I can imagine the surprise when the girls see that she is wearing silver shoes.
Here we are, face to face
A couple of Silver Shoes.
Hopin’ to find, we’re two of a kind
Making a go, making it grow.

Together, we’re going to find our way.
Together, taking the time each day.
To learn all about those things you just can’t buy.

Two Silver Shoes together.
You and I together (We’re going to find our way)
You and I together (We’re going to find our way)
You and I together.

Oh wait...that's Silver Spoons...

And kurt is back! Yay!

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Disney Duster

Cinderella Discussion

Post by Disney Duster »

Well, I agree pap, that dress is special, a lot because it's made by magic, and it's shine and sparkle must have been intended by the artists to catch the Prince's attention.

Oh, thank you, THANK YOU, THANK YOU kurtadisneyite!

You see Escapay, I told you that Cinderella restoration just ain't right!

But I do wonder...kurt, you know this information from working on DVD menus, or something else at Disney?

Also, Cinderella III seemed to deliberately make Drizella green, and Lady Tremaine purple, when I doubt they were like that originally. But I'm almost positive it's on purpose to make them look more evil while Anastasia is pinker than I bet she was. Also, the Prince's pants were made white in a scene they should've been red, and Cinderella's given a white choker with her original wedding dress. So I'm betting when you said Cinderella III had the right colors, you meant for Cinderella herself, and maybe some backgrounds? Actually the dress didn't look silver in Cinderella III either, it looked more blue. But in a book I have with pictures from the film, and when I say pictures, I mean screen captures because it's a "cine-manga", they must have thought of making it silver at one point because in my book the scenes with the dress make it silver!

As for the character in the parks, I think a cross between silver and blue could work, though it actually does look kind of like that in some photos, but the poofy bustle and sleeves need to be lighter, if they must be just a lighter silver/blue. Ad for the shoes, I guess they can't really get clear material, but they could maybe try to get a clear plastic heart on there, and does Cinderella need to wear those white long leggings? Can't she just wear stockings or hose since we know her feet were naked in the movie, except for the shoes?
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Mike wrote:You see Escapay, I told you that Cinderella restoration just ain't right!
I..um...wasn't aware that I ever said it was right. :?

I kinda just came in to sing along to the theme song for "Silver Spoons". :P

I do remember writing, when the PE came out, that I thought it odd that the Grand Duke's colors were now more green than blue. I enjoy the softer faded look of my VHS mainly because that's got more sentimentality than a 3-year-old DVD, but I don't think I ever complained about the DVD in a Marky way :P

albert
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
kurtadisneyite
Gold Classic Collection

Post by kurtadisneyite »

Yes, I did contribute art and recycled animation to older Pixar, CINDERELLA (main menus) and ARIEL (virtual tour) PLATINUM titles , and learned quite a bit about restorations from my co-workers. But that's pretty much all I can say about that. And while I am proud of the work, the job was very stressful.

Color timing is a very subjective process and can change depending on whose eyes are in charge of the retiming. When Cindy comes out on Blu-Ray, most likely its colors will change yet again.
2D isn't Ded yet!
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

Odd request but does anybody have the mp3s for the unused songs found on the DVD (minus Dancing on a Cloud and Middle of a Muddle and with the demo for the title song)? I'd love to have them.

And yes Aurora and Phillip's park costumes are craptacular. But their's and Cinderella's Dream Along With Mickey outfits are much much nicer.
WillytheDino
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WillytheDino »

Disney's Divinity wrote: ...

There's a particular paragraph where the book describes Cinderella's deal with the Stepmother to go to the ball, and it says that Cinderella replies to the Stepmother's challenge with: "Oh, I will. I promise. I'll get a lovely dress too. I know you'll be proud of me." I suppose a lot of this must've been cut, as it is unnecessary, but it points out a dynamic to the story that's never fully stated aloud. There seems a [natural] desire from Cinderella (and from her father as well) to be loved by Lady Tremaine. This side to the story was expounded on in Ever After moreso, but I was just thinking how this adds an edge to Tremaine's villainy that's absent from nearly all other villains made by Disney--how terrible it is of her to abuse and mistreat a girl who still, somewhat naively, looks to her with respect and a small amount of love.
I think that's true. I also think there's a hint towards her feelings for Lady Tremaine in the song 'So this is Love':

So this is love, Mmmmmm
So this is love
So this is what makes life divine
I'm all aglow, Mmmmmm
And now I know
The key to all heaven is mine

My heart has wings, Mmmmmm
And I can fly
I'll touch ev'ry star in the sky
So this is the miracle that I've been dreaming of
Mmmmmm
Mmmmmm
So this is love

She dreams of the miracle of love, maybe, the love of her stepmother.

Also, I tried to make a little comprahension between the old style and the new style...
OLD vs NEW
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Obviously, the old one is much darker. I do like Cinderella's hair more when it's darkblond instead of bright blond. And the dress... In the old version it's kinda blueish, while in the new one it is blue.
Someday...
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Someday... »

Willy, Im sure Cinderella is desperate for love from somewhere. I mean she is in a hellish situation in the Tremaine home, "abused, humiliated, and finally forced to become a servant in her own home.
Everyone needs love on some level. The only kind of happy relationship she has going right now is with the household animals- which is simply a friendly relationship, but its still not positive human interaction.
So when she is singled out by the prince as something special, after so many years of drudgery and abuse from her own family it must have meant so much to her.

I wonder why blue has been adopted as her dress colour, its a lighting thing. The princes white top has turned blue in that scene also. White is the shadow for white.

By the way, having just discovered it properly this week, what do you all think of twice charmed?
KubrickFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by KubrickFan »

Neal wrote:Can anyone tell me about the Cinderella Platinum Edition Gift Set

Is it worth the money?
If it's the same as the previous Gift Sets, it contains the following:

- 2-disc PE dvd (obviously)
- a book about the making of the film
- a couple of sketches of the characters
- a film cell

Overall it is a nice package, and 40 bucks is very reasonable. Also I think it's long out of print, so if you're a collector you should definitely buy it. I hope this helps
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

If you need more help, consult UD's review by Matthew Rand and Mike.

albert
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
kurtadisneyite
Gold Classic Collection

what's left

Post by kurtadisneyite »

Apparently Disney Stores, and a few Best Buys, still have copies of Cinderella 2 and 3, but not Cinderella 1.
I'm surprised 2 and 3 have been hanging around so long given distribution of all Cinderella titles supposedly stopped at end of January 2008.

Ah well....I suspect if BATB 3D is successful, Cindy will get a similar makeover, though probably only # 1 will get the royal treatment.
2D isn't Ded yet!
Neal
Anniversary Edition

Post by Neal »

Yeah, for how much time it will take to do the 3D conversion - I doubt ANY DTV would ever get the treatment, and only the most elite classics will.
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

OK let me just say that recently I got a new monitor, and those screenshots look much better on it! The old ones and the new ones both have the same colours just brighter on the new ones (and in a good way) and I really like the way they look and I don't care what anyone else says! Just goes to show you can't just just a restoration on your old 4:3 28" overly bright to begin with TV.
supertalies
Special Edition

Assepoester

Post by supertalies »

The efteling is a fairy tale park in The Netherlands (Holland) and it is very well known. Expecially the Fairy tale forest.

Now, this forest has almost all fairy tales, but they didn't have Cinderella yet.
But now, they have! I went yesterday, and it looks really beautiful.

And since most people here haven't been to Holland, I wanted to share it.

Here is a video of the fairy tale in the forest (yay youtube!):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7DAYxogtiM

I will translate what the voice says later.

I know I already posted this in the theme park section, but almost nobody responded/ saw it.. (except Disney Duster, love you! :) )

And yes, Assepoester is Cinerella's dutch name!
Last edited by supertalies on Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Disney Duster

Cinderella Discussion

Post by Disney Duster »

Aw, thanks! Love ya, too. Can't wait for the translation, even though I think it would fit better in the theme parks section. But it's too late, I'd say.
supertalies
Special Edition

Post by supertalies »

This is going to be a long post...
Specially for Disney Duster!
Also note that the lines she says rhyme in dutch, but they don't here.

It has already been a while ago,
But I’ll never forget…
How miracles brought the prince and me together, for always.

The prince had invited all the girls from his kingdom,
For his ball, hoping to find the one he could ask her hand.
My stepsisters, full of cupidity, were also invited.
And I, the maid, wasn’t allowed to come…
I had to clean, because the thought that was appropriate for me.

*Door opens and you hear the stepsisters (so you don’t see them). They tell Cinderella to do some chores, this is what they say:
Stepsister 1: Cinderella, why aren’t you cleaning our shoes!
Stepsister 2: Mine first!
S1: How do you mean: Mine first?! Mine first!
S2: No mine!
S1: hurry up, you lazy cow! Because we are going to the ball!
S2: Yes, to the ball, and the prince too!
S12: [laughing].
Door closes and Cinderella continues.*

When they were already off to the Ball,
I went to my mother’s grave, and I cried.
A dress made of gold and a pair of glass slippers, were, what her good spirit gave to me.
Her voice, so clear, spoke: Go quickly, but, by the gleam of the moon,
Before the clock strikes twelve, you must go, then, the ball is done for you.

*Music box opens to reveal two dancing figures (Cindy and the prince) and starts playing*

I went to the ball, looking just like a lady.
He asked me to dance, the prince…
We fell in love at first sight. We were shy, even blooming…

*Music box closes and clock starts striking*

Then, before I knew it, the clock stroke twelve!
The dream had come to an end…
I had to run from the ball, quickly, back to my house…
Goodbye, my dear prince.

*Clock stops striking, after twelve times, off course*

While I was running, I lost,
My glass slipper at the castle.
The prince found it on the stairs,
This magical beautiful jewel.

Across the land, he went to find,

*Spotlight on Cinderella*

...me, the girl of his dreams.

Only one girl fits the slipper,
Finally, time has come…

*They do the shoe- fitting, and…it fits!
Who would have guessed that!? :P *