Cinderella Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Want2beBelle
Gold Classic Collection

Re: Cinderella Discussion

Post by Want2beBelle »

Would anyone know when the blu-ray is going to be released? Thanks!
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

The moderators closed the "Ultimate DVD and Blu-ray" threads, but I hope they don't mind if I make a post that's in a similar vein but is specific to a movie discussion thread.

Cinderella: The Ultimate DVD and Blu-ray

Menus that are 3D CGI versions of the animated film’s backgrounds, with hand-drawn character animation and a hybrid of CGI and hand-drawn animation of special effects animation.

The main feature restored to it's original state with the original colors and animation intact.

A making of that combines the Platinum and Diamond Edition making of's with the 1995 Masterpiece Deluxe VHS making of and info we haven't heard yet like about the version of Cinderella with two balls and Cinderella's stepfamily pouncing on her when she returns the second night and is locked up and sings a song about clocks, and a lot about the version Maurice Rapf wrote where Cinderella becomes a more fighting, rebellious heroine who refuses to do the chores all by herself after the ball and is locked up because of it, and any other big or notable information that applies to the making of the film.

An audio commentary or “Inside Walt’s Story Meetings” for the feature film.

The exclusive interviews with the original animators the Laserdisc had, unless those are already included in the making of.

"The Cinderella That Almost Was"

Deleted scenes:
"The Cinderella Work Song"
"Dancing on a Cloud"

The Diamond Edition's deleted opening, and any more deleted scenes they can find.

The deleted songs:
"Sing a Little, Dream a Little"
"I'm in the Middle of a Muddle"
"The Mouse Song"
"The Dress My Mother Wore"
"Dancing on a Cloud"
"I Lost My Heart at the Ball"
"The Face That I See in the Night."

The Ilene Woods radio program audios:
The Village Store (March 25, 1948)
"Gulf Oil Presents" (1950)
"Scouting the Stars" (February 23, 1950)

The 1950 episode of Perry Como where Ilene Woods appears.

"The Real Fairy Godmother"

"From Walt's Table: A Tribute to the Nine Old Men"

"The Art of Mary Blair"

The 1922 Laugh-O-grams short Cinderella

"The Mickey Mouse Club" (January 24, 1956) excerpt with Helene Stanley playing Cinderella for the Mouseketeers.

The six theatrical trailers from 1950, 1965, 1973, 1981, and 1987.

The Platinum Edition’s galleries:
Visual Development
Mary Blair Art
Character Design
Costume Design
Storyboard Art
Layouts and Backgrounds
Live Action Reference
Production Photos
Publicity

A lot more art they can find that looks close to the way the final film looked, including the blue, rococo-heavy palace insides, and some stuff I saw in some Disney photos that looked like concept art for “So This is Love”. And art in the same vein as the Mary Blair art for the film I've seen that didn't make it in past releases of this film, and art in the same vein as the "blueprint" or layout or concept art I found that didn't make it into past releases of this film.

Storyboards and storyboard to film comparisons of keys scenes:
Opening
King and Duke planning ball
"Sing Sweet Nightingale"
Cinderella, her stepfamily, and the invitation
The mice and birds making the dress
Cinderella's dress getting destroyed by her stepfamily
The Fairy Godmother's appearance and transformations
The ball and "So This is Love"
Midnight, the slipper dropping and the untransformation
Lady Tremaine locking Cinderella in her room
The stepsisters trying on the slipper
The mice and Bruno rescuing Cinderella
Cinderella trying on the slipper
The wedding and ending

“Original Storyboards from 1940” the Laserdisc had, or so I read. Unless those were already included in the making of.

Rough and/or clean-up animation of key scenes:
Cinderella waking up and "A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes"
"Sing Sweet Nightingale"
The mice and birds making the dress
The dress getting destroyed by Cinderella's stepfamily
The Fairy Godmother's appearence and transformations
"So This is Love"
Midnight, the slipper dropping, and the untransformation
Lady Tremaine locking Cinderella up
Cinderella trying on the slipper
The wedding

The Cinderella comic I read that the Laserdisc had, but only in digital form.

Pretty ultimate if I do say so myself!
Last edited by Disney Duster on Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

Hey,

Well, if that ultimate dvd/blu ray were real, I'd be rushing to the store NOW! Heck, even if the dvd/BD has a good restoration I would be rushing. Everything else would be icing. I actually never bought the BD of Cinderella cause of the poor restoration...

Could we also request the original spanish dub? :-p
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

All I need is a proper restoration now, but I love all the extra features you added. At least Disney has admitted that they did not restore the film properly; unfortunately that doesn't mean they will rework a new edition anytime soon.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

Really? When did they admit to that?
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Marce82 wrote:Really? When did they admit to that?
It was someone on this forum (perhaps in this very thread) who spoke to a Disney higher-up or somebody working on the restoration process and that someone apparently admitted that they had botched up the Cinderella restoration. Maybe someone else remembers and can fish out the post, because I'd love to read it again myself.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Thanks very much you guys! : )

I heard someone on here say they know that Disney knows they messed up on Cinderella's restoration, but I don't remember where I read that unless it was the thread I made about it. Click here for that thread.

Also, a member here named Elladorine said she talked to Don Hahn about this film's restoration problems and she gleaned from talking to him that we may see a better restoration in the future!
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Disney Duster wrote:Thanks very much you guys! : )
Anytime! Actually reading about these fan-made ultimate editions makes me depressed because I know Disney never even comes close to them lol.
ImageImage
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Marce82 wrote:Really? When did they admit to that?
The last page of the link that Disney Duster posted above (and I reposted here) has all that information.
http://www.dvdizzy.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 40#p678169
ImageImage
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

Wasn't there a deleted sequence titled "The Music Lesson"? I would love to see it as a stand-alone deleted scene rather than part of a featurette.
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Disney Duster wrote:The moderators closed the "Ultimate DVD and Blu-ray" threads, but I hope they don't mind if I make a post that's in a similar vein but is specific to a movie discussion thread.
Can't speak for the other moderators, but I personally would allow it as it's doing what it's meant to do (and what the Ultimate threads ended up not doing): elicit and encourage discussion. :)
Disney Duster wrote:A making of that combines the Platinum and Diamond Edition making of's with the 1995 Masterpiece Deluxe VHS making of and info we haven't heard yet
I would love this idea, since the 1995 documentary and the 2005 documentary basically follow the same structure, but the former utilizes a narrator with only occasional interviews, while the latter relies solely on interviews. Personally, I prefer when documentaries have a host that walks the viewer through the production of a film and provide seamless transition between topics. When it's just a series of talking heads, it feels too much like a cut-and-paste "answer this question, now answer this question" program.

Also, the 1995 laserdisc documentary uses a different interview with Ilene Woods than the the archival 1995 interview that is used for her in the 2005 documentary. This greatly surprised me when I first watched it, as I assumed that the 2005 documentary used the laserdisc interview for her like they did for the animators. Now I'm wondering why Ilene Woods was interviewed at two different times in 1995 (not that I'm complaining) since two different interviews appear between the two documentaries.

Ultimately, I'd like for a mega 90-minute documentary to be made that utilizes the 1995/2005 interviews, perhaps new interviews with additional historians/animators/filmmakers (maybe even some of the 2015 Cinderella cast and crew), and a host that guides the viewer throughout (Lily James, perhaps?). And it could all be in HD, with the relevant SD clips (likely the old interviews) upconverted to maintain the same quality (or something close enough).
Disney Duster wrote:An audio commentary or “Inside Walt’s Story Meetings” for the feature film.
Since Charles Solomon wrote the A Wish Your Heart Makes book about the making of the 1950 and 2015 films, I would imagine he'd be a good host for a commentary/Story Meeting. Likewise, Don Hahn practically hosts the Platinum Edition DVD, so he and Solomon could pair up for the commentary.
Disney Duster wrote:The exclusive interviews with the original animators the Laserdisc had, unless those are already included in the making of.
They are. But I'll have to watch both documentaries again to see if there's any content that's exclusive to either version.
Disney Duster wrote:“Original Storyboards from 1940” the Laserdisc had, or so I read. Unless those were already included in the making of.
Unlike the Alice in Wonderland Laserdisc - which included the complete storyboards - the Cinderella Laserdisc only included a selection of stills, so I'd enjoy having the complete set of boards for the original version of the film.

Someone else asked if "The Music Lesson" could be provided as a standalone, and I would love to see that, too. Hahn provides a condensed look at it within "The Cinderella That Almost Was," but the complete sequence is 270 stills long on the LaserDisc. Disney seems to enjoy making motion-comic versions of deleted scenes, so they could likely do the same here.
Disney Duster wrote:The Cinderella comic I read that the Laserdisc had, but only in digital form.
I would love if the "Ultimate" edition also came with a complete reproduction in book form!

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Thank you Escapay. And I love every one of your ideas!

I would also like to have the entire "Prince hunting" deleted scene all by itself, as part of having all the deleted scenes by themselves, actually. Well, any that have enough to be considered a deleted or alternate scene.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I was watching "Donald's Diary" with a forum member here and a great friend and I noticed in it that even though I think Daisy did the cooking, she ordered Donald to do about all the rest of the house work (and I forget, maybe even some of the cooking). I thought it was interesting a Disney cartoon had the male be the one to go through that. And then I realized - Disney's Cinderella is about how a female should not have to do all the housework, especially all by herself. It is considered a bad situation she must get out of. So the film may not be feminist in Cinderella not always or completely standing up for herself or saving herself, but it can be liked by females and males alike for being a story about how no female should ever have to put up with such abuse.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Oh Duster, the Ultimate Cinderella Blu-ray you suggested sounds amazing. You need to send these suggestions to Disney, maybe they'll take them into consideration. I'd love to see it happen for real.

I'm curious, what cover design you'd suggest, if such a release were to happen. :)

I would make combination between the Diamond Edition Blu-ray cover, and the Platinum Edition DVD cover. I would take Cinderella from the Blu-ray (where she holds the slipper, I think she was beautifully drawn there), and place her on the blue background from the Platinum DVD, with no mice, fairy godmother, coach, anything really, but the castle. I think the slipcover would look amazing.

I'd also love it if the set would be a digipack.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Thank you Sicoe Vlad! Maybe I will email Disney about it. Or should I write to them?

I will actually draw small versions of how I want the cover to look and post it here soon as I can!

Tsom, I totally forgot you listed "The Music Lesson"! Yes, that should be in this ultimate home video release, too. And Marce82, sure, they should get the original Spanish dub!
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Well Sicoe Vlad, I finally did it! First, I must say, your idea of a cover does sound good. I, too, think Cinderella was perfectly drawn on the Diamond Edition cover. However, did you know that drawing is based on, and maybe even the same, or just slightly changed, from one of the choices of covers for the Platinum Edition that Disney polled people to vote on? Where the vote was, I have no idea, but here's that cover:

Anyway, now for the cover I would want.

And I must admit, I am a crappy drawer. Or at least not a very very great drawer, so bear with my drawings that I just did in a rush to get the general ideas.

I think for the very ultimate Blu-ray the cover should look like this, and I'll explain what each part of it is. Here's the first one I drew, with the front on the left and the back on the right:
Ok, what it is is basically a cover that looks like the storybook that opens the film, but with Cinderella and more characters prominent, and more colored in. The background is gold. I can't tell if the film's book is supposed to be pink or gold or even some kind of orange, but I chose gold. A shiny, shiny gold, like they used for the Three-Disc Diamond Edition with the digital copy. You know, because it's supposed to be so special and ultimate! So at the top is the Fairy Godmother and the bluebirds holding pink drapery that has the title in it. In the middle is just a decorative pink shape in which Cinderella as a servant is trying on the glass slipper on the purple pillow and magic from it swirls around her and she is in the middle of transforming into her silvery blue ballgown. To the left is the castle and the gate, but not in color, just in gold raised outlines, and to the left is the coach and trees it passes by on the way to the castle, also in gold raised outlines. And of course below are Jaq and Gus. The back cover has Lady Tremaine in her ball gown looming over Cinderella and the Prince dancing in their ball attire in that space outside of the ballroom, in the dark. Drizella is to the left and Anastasia is to the right. Below is Bruno to the left and Lucifer to the right.

Here's the next idea for the cover I made:
This cover is just a slightly different version of the ultimate special one. It colorizes the castle and gate and the coach and trees. I like that better. I just didn't know it until I thought about it later, and then drew it, and here it is.

Here's another image I wanted to post:
This is simply a close-up of the Cinderella, slipper, magic Disney dust, and partial dress transformation in each of the ultimate special edition front covers.

Finally, the last idea I had:
This is what I would choose for a more regular version of the film, but still with almost all the great bonus features. The most important ones at least. Or, this could even just be another idea for the ultimate special cover, because it doesn’t have to be like the first one I thought of and drew. This version has the Fairy Godmother above the title, and the bluebirds and mice are in the foreground while Cinderella and the castle, which is to the left, in the background. Cinderella is simply in her cheateau garden being transformed by the Fairy Godmother. Her dress is in mid-transformation, and the ball gown and magic dust are melting down her pink rags. On the back, it’s the standard stuff. A summary of the film and the home video release features. It has Cinderella and the Prince in the ballroom dancing while Cinderella’s stepfamily looks on on the right. Below them is some pictures and titles of the bonus features. From the left to the right, it shows the storyboard of Cinderella transforming, a comparison shot of the restoration with the left half of it the before the restoration and the right half the after the restoration, though I didn’t draw that in, and finally the pencil animation of Cinderella going back for her slipper on the stairs.

Now, I want to point out my ideas are not entirely original. First, I used the storybook from the film for the birds and mice:

Next, I took the Fairy Godmother being above the title from the Masterpiece Collection VHS cover:

Finally, the Cinderella in mid-transformation, at least on the last cover, is taken from one of the choices Disney made for the Platinum Edition cover. See, in this one at the bottom, Cinderella’s dress and the magic are melting over her pink rags:

However, that idea may actually have been taken from the old Disney Classics video release, where the coach is melting over the pumpkin:

That is my favorite Cinderella cover ever. That video release even came out the year I was born, 1988!

As for which is my favorite cover out of the ones I thought of and drew? I choose the very blue one where Cinderella is in the chateau garden transforming.

Well, I hope you liked these. Tell me what you think. :)
Last edited by Disney Duster on Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

Disney Duster, conceptually, your cover designs are not bad. Having a gold cover, and using some of the overlooked elements from past editions would be an interesting change of pace. :)
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Thank you Semaj!
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

You know, as I was watching the film this time, I thought about what Lady Tremaine must be thinking when Cinderella walks up the stairs at the end. I wonder if we’re supposed to think she knows Cinderella was the girl from the ball or she just assumed Cinderella was sneakily planning to use the slipper proclamation to improve her station (and upstage her own daughters in the process)—which is what Tremaine would have done herself if she was a young woman? She’s still my favorite villain after Ursula for sure. It’s always been my unpopular opinion that Eleanor Audley is better here, although still fantastic as Maleficent, too (odd, too, how she modulated her voice to sound old here and young there).

I’ve always found it a little bit tragic that the stepmother couldn’t have just loved Cinderella—she would’ve got all she wanted that way (at the top of the social ladder when Cinderella married the prince), but hating her is why she ended up with nothing at all. Then again, the stepmother really put the pieces into place for Cinderella to marry the prince, because she wouldn’t have been wearing an angelic dress—still one of my absolute favorite Disney dresses—if Tremaine hadn’t resented her beauty/wits (that her daughters lacked) so much. I know I’ve been in discussions before about whether Tremaine really cared about her daughters or she was just using them, but I think it’s not an either/or question. There’s no question she loved them with the way she unnecessarily spoiled them and never corrected their faults, imo, but she was hoping to use them to improve her station there at the end (“Don’t fail me.”). Although I guess that isn’t really too villainous to me? That really was a woman’s ‘purpose’ in those days. But I guess all villains are a little tragic when you think about it (all they could have if they would just do good and not evil).

I couldn't help wondering, too, why the stepmother had been out the morning after the ball anyway while the stepsisters slept all day. I imagine she liked to be part of the gossip, and the ball would be a huge conversation? It randomly stood out to me this time because she's rarely separated from the stepsisters in most of her scenes.

Anyway, moving on… You know, I always thought Cinderella had a fun personality anyway, but upon re-watch I realize she’s even sassier than I remembered. I couldn’t help thinking about unshaved mouse’s review when watching her interactions with the animals though (“Blood for Cinderelly!!!” rotfl ). It really does give off a vibe of her enlisting her own little army. lol Lucifer was more fleshy and non-catlike (as far as his design goes) than I remembered, too. Still enjoy the character though. The funniest moment in the film for me is at the end when the mice roll out the candle all dramatically like the cavalry has arrived and then Lucifer blows it out without moving at all, then the birds start dropping dishes on him and he flies into the air. :lol: :lol: :lol: The animal sections have just never bothered me like they do for other viewers, not like the Dwarfs and occasionally the Three Good Fairies bore me.

The Disney version is still my favorite version of the fairy tale. Ever After is the only other adaptation I’ve really loved. The Slipper and the Rose would be next, but it’s a distant third. I love the music in the R&H musical; I just don’t enjoy any of the versions of the musical as much as the above three movies, although I do have a nostalgic love for the ‘90s version despite Brandy being atrocious and the costumes being gaudy as all hell. I really hate how that the animated film has had such a problem with its restorations. It’s probably the overall prettiest stylistic film for me. The backgrounds are marvelous.

I actually re-watched this movie because 1.) I hadn’t seen it in quite a while and getting the pictures for my villain banner reminded me how much I love the animation for these films, and 2.) my aunt (who I always thought looked similar to Lady Tremaine minus the hair shape) passed away last week because of problems with her lungs. She was my second-favorite of my parents’ siblings, and she passed in a long-suffering way that was pretty hard to watch/think about. I guess I was feeling some guilt and wanted to think about the past.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I think that Lady Tremaine was hearing Cinderella's humming of the tune and that leads her to believe she was the one that danced with the prince. However, when she pulls out the other slipper, she's shocked. So there could be a slight plot hole that she believes Cinderella is the one and then when she pulls out the slipper, that is when she finds out she's the one, or maybe she just forgot Cinderella would have that, which is my vote. It could be, indeed, that she just realizes this could be Cinderella's ticket out of her situation, but I still vote for her forgetting about the other slipper. In some book, Eleanor Audley reveals she could play with being sweet and then menacing as Lady Tremaine where as she couldn't as Maleficent. However, I find her performance as Maleficent the best. Is it because of all the other elements that make Maleficent great? Maybe. I just find her pure evil there. But I must say Lady Tremaine's hold on Cinderella with her voice is quite impressive and perhaps makes that performance best against my opinion.

Lady Tremaine's outcome tragic? I think it's more tragic for Cinderella to not have had a loving stepfamily. I feel Lady Tremaine put herself in her situation and it's all her fault. Unless of course, she couldn't love Cinderella. There's a line from Cinderella's Stepmother from the original musical of Into the Woods: "You can never love someone else's child...as much as your own." Of course we know (I hope!) that isn't true, because I've experienced people loving stepfamily members! Cinderella tried to get her stepfamily to love her, greeting them kindly when she first goes to their bedrooms. Ok, she sometimes spoke less than nicely with them when they were to her, but she always tried to stay kind to them.

It's interesting you say the stepmother caused Cinderella's life to end up with the prince. Had she the freedom, would Cinderella have married some no doubt handsome and wealthy and good man before even thinking about a prince? It seems pretty likely. But of course it's possible she would never have been happy, or found the right fit, with any man until the prince, who's ball she definitely would have attended. I'm glad to hear you like her silver dress. But you still prefer her pink one?

Lady Tremaine loved her daughters. I think it's clear. I suppose Cinderella III did mess that up.

I, too, wondered where Lady Tremaine had been to hear news of the slipper and why she was up before her daughters were, but thinking on it, perhaps she got up before her daughters for something to buy or, perhaps as you said, to hear of more from the ball because perhaps she knew the prince was in love with the girl that ran away, and Cinderella was left in the house doing the work as usual. Lady Tremaine could have heard the news in all sorts of ways I imagine. Someone she knew telling her, hearing about it while she was in the town getting something. Actually, in the film she says "the whole town's talking about it". I guess she was in town! lol

Cinderella's interactions with the animals show her personality very much, and occasionally with her stepfamily, and even a little with the Fairy Godmother. What did you mean "Blood for Cinderelly"?!! That she has her animals fight for her? I did think for a while that the mice were like her own loyal subjects, but yes, they were her army, too. I LOVE Lucifer!!! And yes, the candles and the dishes and the freaking flying into the air is great! But I feel the animal scenes are done far too long, whereas I do not feel that case with the dwarfs or three fairies, because I feel those characters are very important to the story (even though the mice getting the clothes and key are important, I just feel with them they do fighting antics that go on forever). This is why I wish it took a little from the 2015 version and gave the humans much more time over them. Really, just developing the prince's character and seeing him and Cinderella talk or sing to each other with words that show they are a good couple and falling in true love would have been better and also scaled back the mice, and both would have improved the film, for me.

I didn't know you liked Ever After! It's never boring, and always interesting. I have to give it that over both Disney versions. But I love The Slipper and the Rose, it's my favorite to sit back and watch. That and the Brandy R&H one. But don't you think in that one Cinderella's blue ball dress is at least not gaudy as all hell? Oh, and I must say, this Disney animated 1950 Cinderella is still my favorite Cinderella film or any film of all time!

I'm surprised you think this film has the prettiest stylistic look. That is the case for me, too. Well, I think objectively Sleeping Beauty is the best-looking but, I feel personally Cinderella's is the prettiest.

I am so sorry about your aunt. May she rest in peace.