The Adventures of Ichabod & Mr. Toad Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Re: The Adventures of Ichabod & Mr. Toad Discussion

Post by unprincess »

I meant they would make Ichabod's fate less ambiguous than in the movie. In the film its very unsure whether he survived but this book might just have it so he definitely survived. They might also leave out that Katrina ended up happily married to Bram since that would be seen as un-PC nowadays. Who knows.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Are you serious? lol Ichabod got to live with the plump women and had children with her, and Katrina marrying Brom isn't un-PC!!!
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

well it could be seen as un-PC because the female lead character ends up with the bullying alpha male guy. Though Ichabod himself wasn't such a great guy either right?(I haven't seen it in a while, I think he was also a bit self absorbed and just interested in women so they can cook for him or something?) :milkbuds:
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

unprincess wrote:well it could be seen as un-PC because the female lead character ends up with the bullying alpha male guy. Though Ichabod himself wasn't such a great guy either right?(I haven't seen it in a while, I think he was also a bit self absorbed and just interested in women so they can cook for him or something?) :milkbuds:
He's greedy. He's really just interested in Katrina because of how much money her father has which he'll eventually get if he marries her. I don't even think her beauty interests him that much.

The mothers of the children he taught would invite him over for dinner which is probably where you are getting the cooking part from.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

is that from the original story or is it in the animated film too? I do remember that even though he was a harmless dork, he was also selfish. I think that's one of the reasons its my favorite of the anthology Disney films. Apart from the time period I like how grey the characters are. So different from today.
And its true what Disney Duster said, its funny that the Burton version makes the characters more likeable. Heck, even the Horseman. He loved his horse and was nice to kids, and was so happy to find a new bride to take with him to hell. :P :lol:
Tristy
Special Edition

Post by Tristy »

unprincess wrote:is that from the original story or is it in the animated film too? I do remember that even though he was a harmless dork, he was also selfish. I think that's one of the reasons its my favorite of the anthology Disney films. Apart from the time period I like how grey the characters are. So different from today.
And its true what Disney Duster said, its funny that the Burton version makes the characters more likeable. Heck, even the Horseman. He loved his horse and was nice to kids, and was so happy to find a new bride to take with him to hell. :P :lol:
Not to sound rude, but I think that might have been me who pointed that out. But yeah agreed all the way. Not to mention the minute he gets his head back, he just looks at Ichabod and Katrina as if he is giving his own twisted way of saying "Thanks."

Anyway, in both the original story and the cartoon, the whole thing where he is married to a widow is one of the recurring rumors but nobody really knows.

To quote the ending narration:

"Now rumors persisted that Ichabod was still alive and married to a wealthy widow in a distant county. But of course the good Dutch Settlers refused to believe such nonsense for they knew he had been spirited away by the Headless Horseman."

And there is actually a tie-in from the late '80s based on the cartoon that while it still keeps the ambiguous nature open, the very last page image has Ichabod in a transparent, ghostly form bidding farewell to Sleepy Hollow and there is a bit of text in there that hearkens back to the Irving story where some people could swear that they hear his singing voice in the wind.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Katrina was not a good person. Her marrying Brom is seen as bad deserving bad.

Yes, it was tristy, not me, who pointed that out. Not rude at all.

And I know the narration says what happened to Ichabod was rumors...but then it, like, blatantly shows you what his real ending was.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

^oops I got you two guys mixed up, sorry!
And there is actually a tie-in from the late '80s based on the cartoon that while it still keeps the ambiguous nature open, the very last page image has Ichabod in a transparent, ghostly form bidding farewell to Sleepy Hollow and there is a bit of text in there that hearkens back to the Irving story where some people could swear that they hear his singing voice in the wind.
lol that's kinda cool! The 80s was hardcore. 8)
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

These 5 Fun Facts About The Legend of Sleepy Hollow Will Lift Your Spirits
https://d23.com/these-5-fun-facts-about ... r-spirits/

Creepy Classics: The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9pEF-WbMV0
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Those were cool fun facts! I wonder how learning the colonial music influenced the film, since the music in the film doesn't sound colonial at all to me.