Jungle Cruise

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Jungle Cruise

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:By the way, we're just ten days away from the release and we haven't even gotten social media reactions from critics, right? I'm a little worried about the reviews.
I'm not really worried about that. I think it'll get good reviews. Well, at least a fresh score on Rotten Tomatoes. I'm more worried about the seemingly lack of buzz online. Maybe it's one of those movies that does well despite tepid online engagement, who knows? I predict the movie will do better overseas than stateside. Jungle Cruise seems like one of those action-adventure movies that appeals more to foreign audiences.
D82 wrote:I agree, they're very funny. And it's a clever way of promoting the film.
Honestly, the whole competitive thing between them with the rival trailers and whatnot didn't work for me. It came off as forced and put-on. But I did like what they did in this featurette with Emily playfully ragging on Dwayne and him just taking it. :P I thought that was funny and it felt genuine.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

If there are any similarities with The African Queen, it will primarily be because the movie was the direct inspiration for the ride.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I don't think they will. They only did that with Black Widow because it over-performed on the platform and they wanted to brag about it. I highly doubt they'll release any figures for other Premier Access titles.
Sources say Disney is likely to announce Disney+ Premier numbers for Jungle Cruise, starring Dwayne Johnson and Emily Blunt. The event pic sets sail July 30 in theaters and, like Black Widow, simultaneously on Disney+ Premier Access for an additional $30.
Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/busin ... 234983101/
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:I'm not really worried about that. I think it'll get good reviews. Well, at least a fresh score on Rotten Tomatoes. I'm more worried about the seemingly lack of buzz online. Maybe it's one of those movies that does well despite tepid online engagement, who knows? I predict the movie will do better overseas than stateside. Jungle Cruise seems like one of those action-adventure movies that appeals more to foreign audiences.
Yeah, it's true there's not much buzz for the film. I don't think it'll be a complete flop, but it's likely it won't be a big success either. We'll see.

Regarding the reviews, maybe you're right. If Disney has hopes it could launch a movie franchise, it's probably because they know the film's not bad. Also, with so many delays they have had a lot of time to edit things and do reshoots (I think they actually did the latter) to improve its quality.
estefan wrote:If there are any similarities with The African Queen, it will primarily be because the movie was the direct inspiration for the ride.
I didn't know that. It makes sense there are some similarities between the two films then.
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

I was told by two critics (one from France, the other from Germany), the embargo lifts on Sunday (July 25). The review embargo, apparently. They were told they can publish reviews on that day.

The premiere is on Saturday night. So, I wouldn't be surprised if we got reviews right after it.

Unless Asia miraculously saves this film, I think it will be a financial failure. I'm still crossing my fingers for decent reviews, though.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Old Fish Tale wrote:I was told by two critics (one from France, the other from Germany), the embargo lifts on Sunday (July 25). The review embargo, apparently. They were told they can publish reviews on that day.

The premiere is on Saturday night. So, I wouldn't be surprised if we got reviews right after it.
Thanks for the info, Old Fish Tale.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The film cost more than $200 million and Disney is worried.
This summer they’re bringing audiences a $200 million-plus, four-quadrant popcorn movie that would have seemed like an obvious profit engine for its studio in any other era. [...] Box office tracking has been less predictive during the pandemic, but some sources close to the film already are worried about Jungle Cruise, hopeful the Disney+ premium offering buttresses their numbers, like it did for Disney’s Cruella. As the studio did with Black Widow, in a rare display of transparency for the streaming era, it is expected to release the Disney+ numbers for Jungle Cruise publicly. [...] There is discussion of a Jungle Cruise sequel.
Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 234984896/
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Even if it’s moderately entertaining, this isn’t a movie people were desperate for to be honest. I doubt it will make a profit for Disney. I’ll catch it when it’s free on Disney+…

And I love Emily Blunt, but this ain’t it.
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

Old Fish Tale wrote:I was told by two critics (one from France, the other from Germany), the embargo lifts on Sunday (July 25). The review embargo, apparently. They were told they can publish reviews on that day.

Unless Asia miraculously saves this film, I think it will be a financial failure. I'm still crossing my fingers for decent reviews, though.
A correction here: the review embargo lifts on July 27. So, I think between Sunday and Tuesday is just reactions.

Still a day earlier than 'Cruella' in terms of reviews being out.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

PEOPLE to Host Disney's Jungle Cruise Premiere with Dwayne Johnson, Emily Blunt: How to Watch
https://people.com/movies/people-hostin ... exclusive/

Old Fish Tale wrote:A correction here: the review embargo lifts on July 27. So, I think between Sunday and Tuesday is just reactions.

Still a day earlier than 'Cruella' in terms of reviews being out.
Oh, OK. That's quite close to the day of the release, but Cruella got good reviews in spite of that, so we'll see.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The film is getting very positive first reactions.

First 'Jungle Cruise' Social Reactions Call It a Fun, Spirited Adventure That Feels Like an Actual Theme Park Ride
https://collider.com/jungle-cruise-reviews-reactions/

‘Jungle Cruise’ Early Buzz Draws Favorable Comparisons to ‘The Mummy’ and ‘Romancing the Stone’
https://www.slashfilm.com/jungle-cruise ... the-stone/
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

https://twitter.com/daveleedwnundr/stat ... 21323?s=21 Fan reactions are also fairly positive :-)
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I'm glad the first reactions are positive. By the way, I watched the premiere livestream and one of the producers said that the film was locked just before the Covid shutdown, so it seems they didn't try to improve it during the extra time they've had as I thought.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

^ Do you mean that the re-shoots happened before lockdown, or that they had already planned what they wanted to shoot pre-lockdown?
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

I think someone said on here that the reshoot happened in the fall of 2019 a few months before the pandemic hit
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

blackcauldron85 wrote:Do you mean that the re-shoots happened before lockdown, or that they had already planned what they wanted to shoot pre-lockdown?
The former. They happened before lockdown, like Patricier21 said. From May 20 to June 2, 2019, more or less.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Analysts are predicting a higher opening for Jungle Cruise than Cruella.
Given how we’ve seen Disney+ Premier siphon ticket sales with Black Widow in its initial Friday-to-Saturday decline and second weekend drop, industry estimates are conservative heading into the weekend for Jungle Cruise at around $25M domestic at 4,200+ theaters –the widest to date– and another $40M abroad for a $65M global start. We’re hearing that Disney will release first weekend global Disney+ Premier revenue figures as well on Jungle Cruise.
Source: https://deadline.com/2021/07/dwayne-joh ... 234801236/
The family-friendly fantasy adventure, starring Dwayne Johnson and Emily Blunt, is expected to generate at least $25 million from 4,200 North American locations over the weekend, with some estimates projecting an opening north of $30 million.
Source: https://variety.com/2021/film/box-offic ... 235028780/
Jungle Cruise, starring Dwayne Johnson and Emily Blunt, is tracking to open in the $25 million to $30 million range domestically and $40 million-plus overseas. Jaume Collet-Serra directed the family friendly adventure, which hopes to launch a new franchise, much as the first Pirates of the Caribbean did.
Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 234989633/
“Jungle Cruise” is currently projected to earn a $25 million opening this weekend, on par with the $26.5 million four-day start for “Cruella” on Memorial Day weekend.
Source: https://www.thewrap.com/jungle-cruise-b ... e-preview/
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

I’m adding onto this projection, as I just bought my ticket for Friday night and I truly hope that there anybody and everybody reading this please do the same :-)
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I'll be there in the cinema tonight for the first time since the pandemic ! Thought this was worth the big screen visit. Will be in masks, but happy to do it for this film.

It's also a booked out screening, quite late as well which I was happy to see :)
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Thanks for the clarification, Patricier21 + D82!!!!