Jungle Cruise

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Re: Jungle Cruise

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Patricier21 wrote:Really? “Willie –archetype” as in Willie Scott from Temple of doom? By God, way more appealing than that if that’s What do you mean? Even if she may be whiny, at least she has Determination, charisma and was quite fun to watch compared to the overly whiny and just downright annoying Willie Scott. Also in my opinion way better, At the very least way less dated than any of the Indiana Jones [and maybe even possibly at least the first Pirates of Caribbean, and Pirates of Caribbean is my favourite Live action movie franchise Of all time :-) engaging, Charismatic, way better pacing, And especially in the formers case More broadly appealing and relatable characters in my own opinion. Against the latter, not only does it have better pacing, but also better and more connecting storytelling tools embracing the notion that film is Show don’t tell, Which Are the main reasons why the first part is my least favourite series; even though it is shorter than the next two movies, it feels longer because of its slow and even on even piecing, And As just mentioned, There is way too much explanation/exposition through talking/ as the writers State “characters telling stories“, which gets kind of boring and confusing especially when they seemingly act like you have to know certain things going into it that are not necessarily common knowledge such as “the treasure of Cortez himself“. Who the heck is Cortez? If I didn’t know any better, Are you saying that the movie is somehow connected to the spy kids movies because they’re both/were owned by Disney? Jungle Cruise doesn’t have any of that as It explains everything right up front and other things that are much easier to follow way including use of flashbacks which is What curse of theBlack Pearl for least some of it’s back stories really should’ve used To not only make it easier to follow but also more connecting and understanding to what’s going On. Don’t get me wrong, I still really like Curse of the black pearl, Even more so now that I’m older, but I still overall have those same issues with it, and just prefer all the sequels more even with the moments that I do like from curse of the Black Pearl, some of which are better than the sequels and of course jungle Cruise itself
Sorry, but I have to disagree. But I`m sorry if I came across as if I was completely tarnishing her.
Last edited by DisneyFan09 on Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

Willie is a gay icon. No disrespect to her.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Willie is the Jar Jar Binks of Indiana Jones. My sympathy to DisneyFan09 if Emily Blunt's character was really that bad! :lol:
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

DisneyFan09 wrote:Emily Blunt was lackluster and was essentially just a stuffy, but whiny and unappealing Willie-archetype.
It sounds like you just have a problem with strong female characters.
DisneyFan09 wrote:I thought that Emily Blunt was dull, bland and boring. But I`m sorry if I came across as if I was completely tarnishing her.
That performance just feeds off her natural charisma. A star turn if I ever saw one. She's every bit in 'Jungle Cruise' as she was in 'Mary Poppins Returns'.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Old Fish Tale wrote:It sounds like you just have a problem with strong female characters.
No, I don`t. I don`t have a problem with female characters being strong. I have problem with them if they`re dull and unappealing. But I`m sorry if I came across that way.
thedisneyspirit wrote:Willie is a gay icon. No disrespect to her.
Sorry, I didn`t mean it that way.

And just so you know, guys: I`m not trying to pick a fight, but I`ve apologized that I`ve came across dismissive of Blunt`s character. And I don`t want to sound self-righteous, but I think it`s unfair that you`re picking on my comment when I`ve tried to be polite and apologized for it.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

You were polite, DisneyFan09. Btw, I wanted to apologize if my comment also came across as if I was picking on you. I only posted that to say that I could absolutely understand why you might not like the character if she really was like the comparison you made. I haven't seen this film and probably won't for a long time, so I really couldn't say if I agree or disagree though.

From what I remember of the past, Emily Blunt has a big fandom here. That might explain things maybe. *shrug* I think she's alright although I wouldn't say I'm a big fan or anything.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:You were polite, DisneyFan09. Btw, I wanted to apologize if my comment also came across as if I was picking on you. I only posted that to say that I could absolutely understand why you might not like the character if she really was like the comparison you made. I haven't seen this film and probably won't for a long time, so I really couldn't say if I agree or disagree though.

From what I remember of the past, Emily Blunt has a big fandom here. That might explain things maybe. *shrug* I think she's alright although I wouldn't say I'm a big fan or anything.
You`re forgiven, Disney`s Divinity. And I apologize if I came across as snappy or too sensitive.
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

DisneyFan09 wrote:
Old Fish Tale wrote:It sounds like you just have a problem with strong female characters.
No, I don`t. I don`t have a problem with female characters being strong. I have problem with them if they`re dull and unappealing. But I`m sorry if I came across that way.
You did. When you describe a strong willed woman who tries to assert herself among men who patronize and even trick her as "whiny", it does come across as slightly misogynistic. And I don't understand either where the dull comment is coming from when she's so vivacious and sharp tongued.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Old Fish Tale wrote:You did. When you describe a strong willed woman who tries to assert herself among men who patronize and even trick her as "whiny", it does come across as slightly misogynistic. And I don't understand either where the dull comment is coming from when she's so vivacious and sharp tongued.
Well, okay. If I did, then I apologize for it. But it wasn`t my intention to come across as misogynistic. I just wanted to make clear that her characterization was whiny, not that she was whiny because she was proving herself against her opposite gender. There`s a clear difference between those two remarks. But just like I said, I`ve apologized for it and tried to take responsibility for my mistake. And I would appreciate if you accepted my apology and didn`t continue to assert me for my remark.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

so I heard this movie was basically just a copy of The Mummy which had actual characters that weren't flat. Think I'm gonna stick with Mummy.
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

thedisneyspirit wrote:so I heard this movie was basically just a copy of The Mummy which had actual characters that weren't flat. Think I'm gonna stick with Mummy.
This is definitely better than the mummy movies with way better action, Charm, mythology and characters that are not flat and definitely not desperate and not that likeable. As overall good, And even underrated as Brendan Fraser is, the rock and Emily blunt as well as all the other actors for that matter just have better chemistry and just Flow better together, and with that have the overall Movie flow better as well
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Patricier21 wrote:
thedisneyspirit wrote:so I heard this movie was basically just a copy of The Mummy which had actual characters that weren't flat. Think I'm gonna stick with Mummy.
This is definitely better than the mummy movies with way better action, Charm, mythology and characters that are not flat and definitely not desperate and not that likeable. As overall good, And even underrated as Brendan Fraser is, the rock and Emily blunt as well as all the other actors for that matter just have better chemistry and just Flow better together, and with that have the overall Movie flow better as well
Oooh yours is the most glowing review I've read yet. I can't imagine anyone beating the natural chemistry of Brendan Fraser and Rachel Weisz so your words are really making me wonder what I am missing. :o But how do you explain what a huge hit the first two Mummy movies were??
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

thedisneyspirit wrote:
Patricier21 wrote: This is definitely better than the mummy movies with way better action, Charm, mythology and characters that are not flat and definitely not desperate and not that likeable. As overall good, And even underrated as Brendan Fraser is, the rock and Emily blunt as well as all the other actors for that matter just have better chemistry and just Flow better together, and with that have the overall Movie flow better as well
Oooh yours is the most glowing review I've read yet. I can't imagine anyone beating the natural chemistry of Brendan Fraser and Rachel Weisz so your words are really making me wonder what I am missing. :o But how do you explain what a huge hit the first two Mummy movies were??
The mummy Is/was good in Some peoples eyes for its own merits.There weren’t really any other movies made like that at the time that they were released, and therefore Were/ still are seen as alternatives to Indiana Jones as like guardians of the galaxy compared to Star Wars For some people it was the first time in a while in which they had something like that. Despite Jumanji, or for some because of it, jungle Cruise also stands out as being its own thing and being something that we don’t really have at least a whole lot of despite it’s similarities to other properties/encompasses the kind of property that some truly like/would want more of and more substantially than that, it is overall True to and executed in a way that does the original property and it’s self justice; in other words being What eig It truly is, much like The mummy is done before is why yet and anything else for that matter will always truly Have overall success no matter what no matter how otherwise it may seem
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

thedisneyspirit wrote:
Patricier21 wrote: This is definitely better than the mummy movies with way better action, Charm, mythology and characters that are not flat and definitely not desperate and not that likeable. As overall good, And even underrated as Brendan Fraser is, the rock and Emily blunt as well as all the other actors for that matter just have better chemistry and just Flow better together, and with that have the overall Movie flow better as well
The mummy Is/was good in Some peoples eyes for its own merits.There weren’t really any other movies made like that at the time that they were released, and therefore Were/ still are seen as alternatives to Indiana Jones as like guardians of the galaxy compared to Star Wars For some people it was the first time in a while in which they had something like that. Despite Jumanji, or for some because of it, jungle Cruise also stands out as being its own thing and being something that we don’t really have at least a whole lot of despite it’s similarities to other properties/encompasses the kind of property that some truly like/would want more of and more substantially than that, it is overall True to and executed in a way that does the original property and it’s self justice; in other words being What It truly is, much like The mummy Has done before is why yet and anything else for that matter will always truly Have overall success no matter what no matter how otherwise it may seem
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Patricier21 wrote:
thedisneyspirit wrote: Oooh yours is the most glowing review I've read yet. I can't imagine anyone beating the natural chemistry of Brendan Fraser and Rachel Weisz so your words are really making me wonder what I am missing. :o But how do you explain what a huge hit the first two Mummy movies were??
The mummy Is/was good in Some peoples eyes for its own merits.There weren’t really any other movies made like that at the time that they were released, and therefore Were/ still are seen as alternatives to Indiana Jones as like guardians of the galaxy compared to Star Wars For some people it was the first time in a while in which they had something like that. Despite Jumanji, or for some because of it, jungle Cruise also stands out as being its own thing and being something that we don’t really have at least a whole lot of despite it’s similarities to other properties/encompasses the kind of property that some truly like/would want more of and more substantially than that, it is overall True to and executed in a way that does the original property and it’s self justice; in other words being What eig It truly is, much like The mummy is done before is why yet and anything else for that matter will always truly Have overall success no matter what no matter how otherwise it may seem
The Mummy movies were b4 my time but I saw them in my early life thanks to some fans who loved them and wanted to share them with me. They are also the only Indiana Jones substitutes I can think of and I have always been a fan of that franchise. :!:
This Jungle Cruise rubbed me the wrong way when I heard the movie makers claim they are making a movie just like African Queen. Except Humphrey Bogart's own son was disgusted at that idea and how Disney can pretend they are making an absolute classic like the African Queen when that is not true. I was unusre about watching such an offensive movie that is impugning the legacies of great stars but it seems like your glowing review gives me pause. I think I will watch when it comes free to Disney+ since my bf has that so I can watch it then. But thank you for your words of kindness towards the Mummy and all the great people who came together to make that film.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Patricier21 wrote:
thedisneyspirit wrote: Oooh yours is the most glowing review I've read yet. I can't imagine anyone beating the natural chemistry of Brendan Fraser and Rachel Weisz so your words are really making me wonder what I am missing. :o But how do you explain what a huge hit the first two Mummy movies were??
The Mummy movies were b4 my time but I saw them in my early life thanks to some fans who loved them and wanted to share them with me. They are also the only Indiana Jones substitutes I can think of and I have always been a fan of that franchise. :!:
This Jungle Cruise rubbed me the wrong way when I heard the movie makers claim they are making a movie just like African Queen. Except Humphrey Bogart's own son was disgusted at that idea and how Disney can pretend they are making an absolute classic like the African Queen when that is not true. I was unusre about watching such an offensive movie that is impugning the legacies of great stars but it seems like your glowing review gives me pause. I think I will watch when it comes free to Disney+ since my bf has that so I can watch it then. But thank you for your words of kindness towards the Mummy and all the great people who came together to make that film.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

thedisneyspirit wrote:This Jungle Cruise rubbed me the wrong way when I heard the movie makers claim they are making a movie just like African Queen. Except Humphrey Bogart's own son was disgusted at that idea and how Disney can pretend they are making an absolute classic like the African Queen when that is not true.
The original Disneyland ride was inspired by "The African Queen", so that's why the filmmakers made the connection.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I'm surprised the film was granted release in China given the film's gay element. I wonder if the scene in question is going to get cut or just dubbed away.

‘Jungle Cruise’ To Set Sail For China In November As Market Dates Trio Of Hollywood Titles
https://deadline.com/2021/10/jungle-cru ... 234864790/

Disney’s ‘Jungle Cruise’ Sails Astray With $3.3 Million China Opening Weekend
https://variety.com/2021/film/asia/jung ... 235112156/

China Box Office: Disney’s ‘Jungle Cruise’ Flops After Delayed Release
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235047821/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

ImageImageImageImageImageImage