DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:35 am 
Platinum Edition

Glamour - Are Snow White's Costumes Historically Accurate?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:39 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Thanks for posting! My only complaint is that they used primarily English fashions when German fashions would have been different. I've read that 16th century German fashions resembled the early Italian Renaissance outfits.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:11 am 
Platinum Edition

Yes, they should have done German for every part. I don't get why in their versions Snow White wasn't wearing yellow (or blue) and the Queen wasn't wearing purple either. My only knowledge of Italian Renaissance clothes really comes from Ever After and none of those costumes look like in Disney's Snow White though.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:03 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Yes, I was surprised that 16th century Germany wore fashions similar to 14th century Italy although this is what I've been told by some fashion scholars. However, from what I've observed, the popular Cranach gown from that time and place most closely resembles Snow White's dress. Especially if you Google Cranach Snow White gown.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:53 am 
Platinum Edition

Oh, Ever After covers the 16th century. It's supposed to be France but Frock Flicks said it looked more Italian in the costumes. After Googling it, the Cranach gown does sort of look like Snow White's. Charles Santore gave his Snow White a great Cranach gown!

Last edited by Disney Duster on Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:08 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Oh you're right about Ever After's setting. I haven't seen the movie in years and just remember some of the dresses like the ballgown Drew Barrymore wears, so I assumed it was set in the Italian Renaissance. I didn't realize that 16th century France had fashions similar to the Italian Renaissance but if that's supposedly the case for German fashion in that era, then it wouldn't be too outlandish for that to apply to France as well.

I remember we've discussed Santore's illustrations before and like you, I just adore the dresses he came up with for Snow White!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:48 am 
Platinum Edition

Frock Flicks seemed to say that the costumes in 16th century France should look French, not Italian, so I think Ever After actually got it wrong...? Which is a bummer, because if you're going to pretend it's the "real" Cinderella and be historically accurate, then be historically accurate!

Yes, we love Charles Santore's Snow White dresses!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:59 pm 
Limited Edition

When it comes to these comparisons, I prefer the Disney costumes. ;) i don’t like them to be historically accurate. It adds to the fantasy aspect of the story. :)

If you're a fan of Disney animation, like my Facebook fanpage

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:22 am 
Platinum Edition

I like historical accuracy mixed with fantasy!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:40 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Same here. I don't want something 100% historically accurate because frankly, that usually doesn't lend itself well to animation or even to contemporary audiences. We wouldn't have the iconic dresses of characters like Snow White or Belle in that case.

Disney Duster wrote:
Frock Flicks seemed to say that the costumes in 16th century France should look French, not Italian, so I think Ever After actually got it wrong...? Which is a bummer, because if you're going to pretend it's the "real" Cinderella and be historically accurate, then be historically accurate!

Yes, we love Charles Santore's Snow White dresses!

So true lol. Although there's plenty off about the history of that film in the first place so I guess it shouldn't be too surprising.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:34 am 
Platinum Edition

JeanGreyForever wrote:
Same here. I don't want something 100% historically accurate because frankly, that usually doesn't lend itself well to animation or even to contemporary audiences. We wouldn't have the iconic dresses of characters like Snow White or Belle in that case.[...]So true lol. Although there's plenty off about the history of that film in the first place so I guess it shouldn't be too surprising.

I completely agree with all this!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16