Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Lars Vermundsberget
Collector's Edition

Post by Lars Vermundsberget »

If it's any of the two at all it'd have to be the bird. But I agree there is definitely a "break" there.
Billy Moon
Special Edition

Post by Billy Moon »

You're both wrong.
As the bird flies down onto her finger, Snow White sings eight high and one lower, longer note "ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haa...". Then there's a short pause and the picture changes to a close-up of the bird as he tries to repeat it - unsuccessfully.
Marky_198
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marky_198 »

Billy Moon wrote:You're both wrong.
As the bird flies down onto her finger, Snow White sings eight high and one lower, longer note "ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haa...". Then there's a short pause and the picture changes to a close-up of the bird as he tries to repeat it - unsuccessfully.
I do agree that the 9th note sounds lower than the 8 ones before, but I still don't think it's Snowwhite's voice. The sound of the note ist't anywhere near the sound of her other notes. It sounds like a whistle to me. And I think it's a very strange, unnatural note for her to sing after the 8 other notes. I think the 8th one is her last one.
Why do you think the last note of the bird is flat? Not because he had to go down there, but sang too high right? If that last note really was lower, the bird wouldn't have a problem with it, don't you think?

My friend says the 9th note is sung by Snowwhite too, but that it's much higher than the 8 before.

So there are 3 options now? ;)
Billy Moon
Special Edition

Post by Billy Moon »

Snow White's singing (and speaking) voice is a litte unnatural and whistle-like to begin with. Remember that we are talking about a 70-year-old movie here. Ideals were different back then.
Marky_198
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marky_198 »

Yes, that's true,

But why couldn't the bird sing the last low note, while he could reach the ones before that were even higher?

To me the last note of the bird is the same height as the ones before, but it's just flat. I don't think he tries to whistle a lower note there.
Billy Moon
Special Edition

Post by Billy Moon »

I don't know the musical terms, but the 9th note is a little tricky one. I'm not sure if you call it a blue note or a flat note or something like that.(someone with musical knowledge help me here please...) That's probably why it sounds odd to you and why you and your friend hear the hight of it differently. And that's exactly why the bird has difficulties hitting it. That's the way I've always seen it.
Marky_198
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marky_198 »

Yes, are there some people on here with good musical knowledge? Maybe others can help us out.

I'm a singer myself, and I can't believe that 9th note is a voice.

The bird definately has more trouble singing high enough on that last note instead of low enough. (low, to try to match Snowwhite's last note, as you say, which I think isn't Snowwhite"). The bird sings that lower notes in the parts before very easily, so why would he have problems with a same low note there?

I've always seen it as a "set up" note from the bird, and the 8th one is the last one of Snowwhite. It's hard to believe it's different as that's the way I've seen it all my life ;)

But of course it's the same for my friend, and for you ;)
Billy Moon
Special Edition

Post by Billy Moon »

Well, if you're a singer yourself, then you must know that the hardest thing isn't hitting notes of a certain hight, but sometimes just to be able to sing certain few notes in a row.
I'm sorry but your explanation of the scene doesn't really make any sense to me. Why would the bird sing a long note immediately after Snow White and then make a pause before trying to repeat her, and after that (unsuccesfully) add a note she didn't sing in the first place. Seems really illogical. :)

I admit the note we're debating on sounds almost non-human. It also sounds like two different hights at the same time, but I'm convinced it's supposed to be Snow White singing.
Lars Vermundsberget
Collector's Edition

All right, we'll eliminate the problem this way: That note in question is sung by neither of them - it's just part of the musical arrangement! 8)
Billy Moon
Special Edition

Post by Billy Moon »

Oh, shut up, Lars! We were having such a nice little debate. :)
Lars Vermundsberget
Collector's Edition

Sure, I definitely ought to appreciate the fact that some people are discussing - not modern-time fluff - but indeed the finer points of a true classic! :D
Marky_198
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marky_198 »

Exactly! They should do that more often ;)
Ariel'sprince
Platinum Edition
Location: beyond the meadows of joy and the valley of contentment

Snow White Question

Post by Ariel'sprince »

The new versions of Snow White (the Platinum Editions and etc.) are newer versions (since it begins with the Disney logo with the Sleeping Beauty inspired castle),what happend to the old version? (or they wanted to change like those silly changes in The Lion King PE?).
Last edited by Ariel'sprince on Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Uhhh Disney Vault?
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

I don't think we'll ever see the very very very very very original version of Snow White. That thing had RKO logos on the title card! Of course, Disney had to edit them out in subsequent releases (by Buena Vista). You can see the original opening and closing of the film on Disc 2 of the Platinum Edition. It's a bonus feature.
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

Sprince wrote:Qestion
While I'm sure it doesn't bother others, can you please add the "U" to question? It's just a little pet-peeve of mine...
Sprince wrote:what happend to the old version?
Depends on what you mean by old version. There's the original nitrate negatives, the 1987 film restoration, the 1993 digital restoration, and the 2001 DVD restoration. AFAIK, they're all still intact in whatever facility Disney uses to hold their films.
Nailuj Retrac wrote:I don't think we'll ever see the very very very very very original version of Snow White.
Yeah we can! We'll put on trench coats and sunglasses, sneak into the Disney Vault, steal the original nitrate negatives, hire Bill to set it up on a projector, and watch it on a screen in all its faded grainy dirt-ridden scratched up 1937 glory! :P :lol: ;)

Yapacse
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

Escapay wrote:
Nailuj Retrac wrote:I don't think we'll ever see the very very very very very original version of Snow White.
Yeah we can! We'll put on trench coats and sunglasses, sneak into the Disney Vault, steal the original nitrate negatives, hire Bill to set it up on a projector, and watch it on a screen in all its faded grainy dirt-ridden scratched up 1937 glory! :P :lol: ;)

Yapacse
And just think, The Shrill's voice might be so muffled and coarse we may actually find the film watchable! (Still, the shrill is not as bad as Kathy Ireland I know I've said this before but anyone who has seen Alien From L.A. will agree with me).
Ariel'sprince
Platinum Edition

Post by Ariel'sprince »

Julian Carter wrote:I don't think we'll ever see the very very very very very original version of Snow White. That thing had RKO logos on the title card! Of course, Disney had to edit them out in subsequent releases (by Buena Vista). You can see the original opening and closing of the film on Disc 2 of the Platinum Edition. It's a bonus feature.
Ooooh,thanks for explaining :D,that's nice.
And Escapay-i forgot that (i also worte fast).
Flanger-Hanger,you hate her voice? (i don't understand why some of you hate it,her voice is kinda funny but still,how about Aurora's voice?).
Prudence
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prudence »

Point the First:
You should really explain what you're talking about better, Ariel'sprince.

Point the Second:
The dude who never gives Gromit a rest wrote:
Sprince wrote:Qestion
While I'm sure it doesn't bother others, can you please add the "U" to question? It's just a little pet-peeve of mine...
It bothers me, as well. Notice that he never did change it?

Point the Third:
Snow White's voice doesn't sound anything like Aurora's.
That's hot.
Ariel'sprince
Platinum Edition

Post by Ariel'sprince »

Prudence wrote:Point the First:
You should really explain what you're talking about better, Ariel'sprince.
In the beginning of the film and every Disney film we first see the Disney logo,but when the film was out this logo wasn't made yet,so is there a reason why they puted the new logo.
Point the Third:
Snow White's voice doesn't sound anything like Aurora's.
No,but i asked if they like her voice.