Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs Discussion

Post by Disney Duster »

JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Thanks for posting! My only complaint is that they used primarily English fashions when German fashions would have been different. I've read that 16th century German fashions resembled the early Italian Renaissance outfits.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yes, they should have done German for every part. I don't get why in their versions Snow White wasn't wearing yellow (or blue) and the Queen wasn't wearing purple either. My only knowledge of Italian Renaissance clothes really comes from Ever After and none of those costumes look like in Disney's Snow White though.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Yes, I was surprised that 16th century Germany wore fashions similar to 14th century Italy although this is what I've been told by some fashion scholars. However, from what I've observed, the popular Cranach gown from that time and place most closely resembles Snow White's dress. Especially if you Google Cranach Snow White gown.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, Ever After covers the 16th century. It's supposed to be France but Frock Flicks said it looked more Italian in the costumes. After Googling it, the Cranach gown does sort of look like Snow White's. Charles Santore gave his Snow White a great Cranach gown!
Last edited by Disney Duster on Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Oh you're right about Ever After's setting. I haven't seen the movie in years and just remember some of the dresses like the ballgown Drew Barrymore wears, so I assumed it was set in the Italian Renaissance. I didn't realize that 16th century France had fashions similar to the Italian Renaissance but if that's supposedly the case for German fashion in that era, then it wouldn't be too outlandish for that to apply to France as well.

I remember we've discussed Santore's illustrations before and like you, I just adore the dresses he came up with for Snow White!
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Frock Flicks seemed to say that the costumes in 16th century France should look French, not Italian, so I think Ever After actually got it wrong...? Which is a bummer, because if you're going to pretend it's the "real" Cinderella and be historically accurate, then be historically accurate!

Yes, we love Charles Santore's Snow White dresses!
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

When it comes to these comparisons, I prefer the Disney costumes. ;) i don’t like them to be historically accurate. It adds to the fantasy aspect of the story. :)
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I like historical accuracy mixed with fantasy!
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Same here. I don't want something 100% historically accurate because frankly, that usually doesn't lend itself well to animation or even to contemporary audiences. We wouldn't have the iconic dresses of characters like Snow White or Belle in that case.
Disney Duster wrote:Frock Flicks seemed to say that the costumes in 16th century France should look French, not Italian, so I think Ever After actually got it wrong...? Which is a bummer, because if you're going to pretend it's the "real" Cinderella and be historically accurate, then be historically accurate!

Yes, we love Charles Santore's Snow White dresses!
So true lol. Although there's plenty off about the history of that film in the first place so I guess it shouldn't be too surprising.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

JeanGreyForever wrote:Same here. I don't want something 100% historically accurate because frankly, that usually doesn't lend itself well to animation or even to contemporary audiences. We wouldn't have the iconic dresses of characters like Snow White or Belle in that case.[...]So true lol. Although there's plenty off about the history of that film in the first place so I guess it shouldn't be too surprising.
I completely agree with all this!
Disney Duster

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs Discussion

Post by Disney Duster »

I looked, but was shocked, shocked to see no thread dedicated to discussion about purely the first Disney animated feature! If it exists, you can merge the threads, moderators!

Ok, so the first post has to be all about this film. This is a masterpiece, and Walt Disney's masterpiece. It's funny, he loved it so much when it first came out, but then he began to hate it because every critic was comparing his later features to it, but in the end he began to love it again. I know people usually say Pinocchio is Walt's masterpiece, but I believe it is this film. This one captures all the emotions. The innocent, kind princess who learns her only mother-figure wants her dead, so she must run into the scary world outside her castle, like through what seems like a haunted forrest, to escape danger in the home of seven loveable little men who each have distinct personalities and grow and change as Snow White cares for them, and this bond is seen ever evident when the poor princess who sees good in everyone falls victim to an evil spell, and the dwarfs are all heartbroken until the spell is only lifted by love, when she finally goes to a castle seemingly in heaven, where her dreams will come true. Pinocchio takes you through all the emotions, too, but what can I say, somehow Snow White seems to have it all, the most put in it, and is more iconic. I think the film is only second to Beauty and the Beast as the best of Disney. I bet you could prove to me Pinocchio is better in some debate, but that's not what this first post should be about!

Anywhoo, I found this video about the film that I think is a masterpiece in and of itself. It sounds like he thinks Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty are pretty derivative and not top tier which would make me sad as those are my top favorites, but gosh can I not wait to see the rest of his videos. Here it is:
Why Snow White Is (Still) the Strongest Disney Princess

Only one point that I found fault with, so far anyway, is that I feel Pinocchio actually looks for identity, as does Dumbo, and their films came soon after Snow White, when he said characters having goals regarding to identity seems like only a recent thing.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

But Disney's Divinity, that wasn't the discussion of the film! Oh, well.

Yup, I knew about Hitler, Redadoodles!
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Yeah, I knew about Hitler, I read he loved the movie in J. B. Kaufman's book. I was super shocked to hear that such a cruel man could love such a sweet movie. :lol: :lol:
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

(Typing my thoughts as I watch that video that you posted, Disney Duster!) Um, the Goddess still does have noodle arms (sorry, not sorry). It's a great short, but noodle arms she has. (Okay, he did acknowledge this.) That's true, in just 3 years, the Disney artists improved their humans SO MUCH. It's incredible. Um, why are they showing a clip from "Happily Ever After?" I know that we've been talking about it recently, but there is more to Snow White than just her wanting true love's kiss. The discussion about genre- people do argue that animation itself isn't a genre, yet really the princess films do get lumped together. One reason I do love this film so much is because it has the scary elements in it. I like the portions with the dwarfs...I think that they are entertaining, and that their different personalities make for good entertainment.

So Disney stopped making princess films for a few decades because critics said that Snow/Cindy/Aurora were too similar? I feel like maybe I've learned this before, but my memory is awful so it's like hearing it again for the first time. But critics didn't end the princesses when there were so many in the '90s... I don't see Cinderella & Sleeping Beauty being direct imitations. Sure, Walt had wanted to use dancing in the clouds in all three, but the characters and films really are different from each other.

The part about context was really eye-opening- I don't think that I had ever thought before how the era shaped anything besides Snow's voice and hair, you know? But that's true that we would be more accepting to Aladdin's plight in the '90s vs they would in the '30s, using his example. He highlighted the part that you've been mentioning, Disney Duster, how Snow White cleaned the house in order to have a place to stay. (I know that's true, but still- she thought they were orphaned children, you know? I think that she must have wanted to do some good for them too, right?) (I'm backtracking, but when they showed the Prince again just now it reminded me-- I like that he said while Snow White's wish was to have a prince, her goal was survival. Snow White is a bad@ss in that way.)

YES!!! I love that he said, "She may not show much agency, but to call this a requirement only limits our definition of what a strong female character can be. It ignores the fact that most women in history didn't have the option to control their own destinies, and implies that unless you single-handedly push your entire gender forward, you don't deserve to have your story told." And talking about how Snow White is worthy because she works hard, is optimistic, she worked with what she had, and then her dreams came true.

YES!!! He defends the fact that she ISN'T just waiting for her prince. She does have a life of her own, she does have her own journey outside of the romance part.

I've never in my whole life thought as Grumpy as a romantic prospect for Snow White. I see what he's trying to do but I've never, ever thought that. But, I do agree that we see Grumpy evolve, and he is for sure a highlight of the film.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Disney Duster wrote:Ok, so the first post has to be all about this film. This is a masterpiece, and Walt Disney's masterpiece. It's funny, he loved it so much when it first came out, but then he began to hate it because every critic was comparing his later features to it, but in the end he began to love it again.

Really?
I know people usually say Pinocchio is Walt's masterpiece, but I believe it is this film. This one captures all the emotions. The innocent, kind princess who learns her only mother-figure wants her dead, so she must run into the scary world outside her castle, like through what seems like a haunted forrest, to escape danger in the home of seven loveable little men who each have distinct personalities and grow and change as Snow White cares for them, and this bond is seen ever evident when the poor princess who sees good in everyone falls victim to an evil spell, and the dwarfs are all heartbroken until the spell is only lifted by love, when she finally goes to a castle seemingly in heaven, where her dreams will come true. Pinocchio takes you through all the emotions, too, but what can I say, somehow Snow White seems to have it all, the most put in it, and is more iconic. I think the film is only second to Beauty and the Beast as the best of Disney. I bet you could prove to me Pinocchio is better in some debate, but that's not what this first post should be about!
To be honest, I`ve always found Pinocchio to be superior to Snow White. Mainly because it`s better musically. But that`s just me. I know that Pinocchio has the staple of being the best animated film of all time. But each to their own.
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

Sicoe Vlad wrote:Yeah, I knew about Hitler, I read he loved the movie in J. B. Kaufman's book. I was super shocked to hear that such a cruel man could love such a sweet movie. :lol: :lol:
Well, it's not too surprising when you know that he was quoted saying that Snow White's beauty was representative of the typical german girl while the old hag had the heretic nose of a typical jewish woman... :roll: :|
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Amy, I agree with every. Thing. You said. You're so right!

DisneyFan09, yup, at least that is what I have heard people say about Walt's feelings on Snow White. I know many people consider Pinocchio the best animated film of all time, and I do get it, I just think Snow White is better in my humble opinion. I also definitely think Snow White is better musically.