Disney Treasures

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
matthewgb
Limited Issue

Post by matthewgb »

quasi72 wrote:
About the next Trasures wave, it surprises me that they will be released this year, and still no comment about the content. Maybe they dont want to say it so that this information doesn't eclipse the sells ratings for this May Treasures wave.
Around this time last year all the chatter on this site was about what the next set of treasures would be. Lots of speculation that turned out to be pretty accurate. The first official word from Buena Vista didn't come until late summer so I would anticipate that, if they are released this winter, refering to wave 4, the same process would be followed. If anything, a May release only wets the appetite of those Disney fans who will then be anxiously anticipating a December release. Lets not forget that these were intended to be released as tribute to Walt Disney around the time of his birthday.
Nelson

Post by Nelson »

quasi72 wrote:Nelson,
I am with you. I am still in awe, after knowing that the strongest war-related cartoons will be released this year. It was unimaginable to me. I am getting two copies of this dvd, in case the first one gets burnt by watching it so much.

About the next Trasures wave, it surprises me that they will be released this year, and still no comment about the content. Maybe they dont want to say it so that this information doesn't eclipse the sells ratings for this May Treasures wave.

Still, I wonder... What's in the chest next time?
The only confirmed collection in wave 4 is MICKEY MOUSE IN B&W Vol.2 and I believe that the complete PLUTO will also be featured.

And thanks everyone for the warm greetings here and I'm having a blast so far. 8)
Oswald The Lucky Rabbit for President 2004
ohmahaaha
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ohmahaaha »

Nelson wrote:
Turner did release their classic MGM and Warner Bros. cartoons uncut and uncensored.
Nelson, first things first: welcome to the forum, I'm happy of course to see someone who obviously loves the Disney Treasure sets as much as I do!

I also wanted to comment on the quote from your original post above - I for one have not seen any uncut & uncensored cartoons released from Turner/MGM, in fact I got burned on a couple of videos especially a Tom & Jerry - or are you referring to the laser disc editions? Warner got off to a good start with the Golden Collection of Looney Tunes last year, but there weren't any cartoons in that collection that I would consider as "notorious" for their content. I hope that both Turner/MGM and Warner are taking a good long look at the Treasure releases and how nice these can be for fans.
ohmahaaha
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ohmahaaha »

Nelson wrote:
Turner did release their classic MGM and Warner Bros. cartoons uncut and uncensored.
Nelson, first things first: welcome to the forum, I'm happy of course to see someone who obviously loves the Disney Treasure sets as much as I do!

I also wanted to comment on the quote from your original post above - I for one have not seen any uncut & uncensored cartoons released from Turner/MGM, in fact I got burned on a couple of videos especially a Tom & Jerry - or are you referring to the laser disc editions? Warner got off to a good start with the Golden Collection of Looney Tunes last year, but there weren't any cartoons in that collection that I would consider as "notorious" for their content. I hope that both Turner/MGM and Warner are taking a good long look at the Treasure releases and how nice these can be for fans.
Nelson

Post by Nelson »

ohmahaaha wrote:Nelson wrote:

On the Turner laser disc collections of both THE ART OF TOM AND JERRY , THE GOLDEN AGE OF LOONEY TUNES, TEX AVERY COLLECTION and HARMON AND ISING'S HAPPY HARMONIES, did indeed featured uncut and uncensored cartoon classics that were either censored or banned on Cartoon Network.

I'll give you some examples on to what shorts was UNCUT!

(THE ART OF TOM AND JERRY)
HIS MOUSE FRIDAY-Completly uncut with original cannibal dialog intact
OLD ROCKING CHAIR TOM
All T&J cartoons featuring Mammy Two Shoes are complete with Mammy's original voice soundtrack

(GOLDEN AGE OF LOONEY TUNES) *Indicates banned from Cartoon Network
BUGS BUNNY NIPS THE NIPS*
CONFEDRATE HONEY*
ALL THE CAVEMAN INKI SHORTS*
ONE STEP OF MY SHADOW*
THE EARLY BIRD GETS THE WORM*
AVIATION VACTION
RUSSIAN RHAPSODY
FIFTH COLUM MOUSE* Shown on Turner Classic Movies

(THE TEX AVERY COLLECTION) *Indicates banned From Cartoon Network
THE BLITZ WOLF -Completely uncut on the laser version
DROOPY'S GOOD DEED-Complete with Blackface gags
HALF PINT PYGMY *
DAREDEVIL DROOPY-Complete with Blackface gags
HAPPY GO LUCKY -Complete with Blackface gags
UNCLE TOM'S CABANA *

(HARMON AND ISING HAPPY HARMONIES COLLECTION)*Indicates banned from Cartoon Network
TOYLAND BROADCAST -Complete with Blackface gags
SWING WEDDING *This cartoon has been shown on Turner Classic Movies
ALL THE MGM BOSKO CARTOONS *
THE PYGMY HUNT

There are other titles that I haven't mentioned but before the merger between Turner and Time Warner, the company released a very good amount of classic cartoons uncut and none of the infamous Warner Bros, "CENSORED 11" did not make the cut.

Disney now has taken the the oppertunity to show their fans, that the company doesn't want to be labled just as a "kids" company and you'll noticed that all of the DISNEY TREASURES are aimed at Adults and private collectors not at kids.Disney has taken the right step and are releasing the more sensative cartoons with historical context and I can't thank the company enough.
Oswald The Lucky Rabbit for President 2004
jebsdad
Gold Classic Collection

Post by jebsdad »

Lars Vermundsberget wrote:We need to understand the different categories of "wartime shorts". What do we mean by "wartime shorts" and what do we think we're missing?

I suppose wartime shorts doesn't mean all of Disney's shorts made during WWII, but rather those with a pretty much war-related theme. Some of you mentioned specific titles that seem to be missing. However, without checking the details here and now, I think all WWII-themed "theatrical" shorts are included. I'd guess the government-paid "propaganda" shorts (about war bonds and the necessity of paying one's taxes and so on) are there as well. Those two categories cover the best-known titles.

Then there are various army instruction and other instruction films. Far from all of these are included. I'd say there were about a hundred of these and some of them are included. One could argue that most of them are of somewhat limited interest and appeal and it's only fair that they didn't try to include them all. They may all be in the public domain as they were paid for by the government. A lot of them could even be missing for all I know. I'll just be happy to see the ones included in the set.

I might be wrong on some details here, but I think this is the general picture.
The main wartime theatrical "entertainment" cartoon not listed as being on the On The Front Lines set is the 1943 Donald Duck cartoon "Donald's Tire Trouble". I consdier that a war-related theme due to the references to the wartime shortage of rubber and tires. Of course, that cartoon should be in Chronological Donald Volume 2 - hopefully in 2005 or so.

Pluto and the Armadillo (1943), The Pelican and the Snipe (1944), and Dog Watch (1945) also are military/wartime related. The two Pluto cartoons should be on the Complete Pluto set, if it is released in Wave 4 as rumored. The Pelican and the Snipe may be included in the Wave 4 rumored "Assorted" set.

I have seen numerous wartime "educational" (the Coordinator of Inter-American Affairs shorts created for Latin America) and "war training" shorts that are not listed as part of this On The Front Lines set. The animated sections of these shorts may partially appear as part of the TRAINING FILM MONTAGE that is supposed to be part of this set.