Your favorite music of the Revival soundtracks?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Your favorite music of the Revival soundtracks?

Post by Disney's Divinity »

This includes both songs in the films themselves as well as End Credits songs. Or score for that matter. And we're talking TP&TF to now.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Re: Your favorite music of the Revival soundtracks?

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Well, regarding songs, I could make my list.

Almost There and Gonna Take You There from The Princess and the Frog.
I See The Light from Tangled.
For the First Time in Forever from Frozen.

As for the scores, I`ll take those from Wreck-It-Ralph and Big Hero 6.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Let It Go is the only song I find truly memorable from this era.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I like everything. I've been really happy with the Revival era soundtracks. The Princess and the Frog, Tangled, Frozen, Moana, Frozen II, Encanto. All get a lot of listens from me. As an Alan Menken fan, while I'm sad that we haven't gotten more from him, I'm not disappointed at all in the music we did get.

As for the pop versions, "Never Knew I Needed" is still my favorite Disney pop song ever. "Something That I Want" is always fun. I love Demi Lovato's music, and I'm very happy with their "Let It Go".

Winnie the Pooh is actually one of my favorite films; I don't dislike the soundtrack, but it's one of my least favorite of the Disney soundtracks.

From the non-musicals, I like "Sugar Rush" from Wreck-It Ralph; "Immortals" from BH6, "Try Everything" from Zootopia. "A Place Called Slaughter Race" is fun and very unique and I love that Alan Menken wrote it. The pop version, while I like it, isn't as much a favorite as the other pop versions from this era. I'm a big Weezer fan, and I'm obsessed with Kristoff's "Into the Woods," and I'm obsessed with Weezer's. I know that song is divisive but I'm still pretty obsessed with it- it's very much my cup of tea. Panic! at the Disco's "Into the Unknown" is great, and damn Brandon Urie's voice is amazing. While I like Kasey Musgrave's "All is Found," I like the other two pop versions from this film more...they're more rock-pop vs. folk so that's more my preference. But hers is very pretty. "Lead the Way" from my beloved Raya is a great song with a great message. "Two Oruguitas" is still one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard and it gets me emotional and I'm forever grateful that they put an English version on the soundtrack/at the end credits.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

1. "For the First Time in Forever" ~ Idina Menzel's and Kristen Bell's voices together are just a total eargasm for me. Kristen Bell's voice is actually the prettiest for me, very pure (reminds me almost of Ashley Brown or one of those crystal bell theater voices), whereas Idina Menzel has all the range and more rawness, sharpness.
2. "Let It Go" ~ Still hasn't aged for me. :shrug:
3. "Show Yourself"
4. "We Don't Talk About Bruno" ~ In a way, I think this was close to being one of those "moments" Disney used to be known for (you know what I mean—Ariel singing on the rock, Belle and Beast dancing, "A Whole New World," something so powerful that everyone remembers it—"Let It Go" was one). I’ll have to see the film again to re-assess; I did say in my first post after seeing the film that it was easily the best moment and the moment the film starts to *work* with all the pieces coming together. Up to that point, all the family members seemed very isolated from one another as Mirabel went to one then another on their own. I think that made the moment they all *finally* come together in one song more powerful, and it managed to deliver important plot information—the mystery that is Bruno and the many different perspectives on him—at the same time (and with such a catchy song at that).
5. "For the First Time in Forever (reprise)"
6. "Down in New Orleans" ~ The only genuinely good song in the film—by that I mean, a song that’s good on its own merits regardless of who’s singing. With the others, the voice actors do the heavy lifting.
7. "Mother Knows Best"
8. "Down in New Orleans (Finale)" ~ Probably one of the few musical moments that come close to simulating the ending songs of the '90s (although this one lacks a choir).
9. "Love Is an Open Door"
10. "Almost There"
11. "Never Knew I Needed" ~ Encapsulates Tiana's and Naveen's relationship. I wish a song like this was in the film around the time Naveen is thinking of proposing to Tiana. "Ma Belle Evangeline" is cute as a little ditty (similar to "Reindeers Are Better Than People," for example), but they tried to make it be almost like a "Kiss the Girl" or "A Whole New World" moment (which the lyrics of NKIN is closer to fitting).... "MBE" could not have been more inadequate at filling that role.
12. "Do You Want to Build a Snowman?"
13. "Some Things Never Change"
14. "Friends on the Other Side"
15. "How Far I'll Go" (Alessia Cara)
16. "Where You Are" ~ This one's really addictive for some reason.
17. "In This Place" (Julia Michaels)
18. "I Am Moana (Song of the Ancestors)"
19. "Into the Unknown" ~ This song seems more tied to the film segment than the others. It is beautiful, almost like a vocal exercise, but I don’t really feel the emotion except when watching the film. Mostly Elsa's shock at the powers that are happening (the visual of the solid black background causes the same feeling for the audience). Sort of like "Almost There"—which is much stronger in-film than out of it—but I can still get a fair amount of enjoyment from ANR on "Almost There" even without the movie. The best part is definitely the part when Menzel's and Aurora's voices are singing in unison.
20. "Lead the Way" (Jhené Aiko) ~ I love this. The "just tryyyyyyyyy" part can get a bit annoying if you listen to the song several times in a row though, lol. Aside from that, the vocal and the lyrics (particularly the verses) are just so perfect to the film. To me, this is one like with TP&TF, where the film isn't "complete" for me without listening to the song at the end; both put the cap off their films exactly right, imo. Aiko’s voice actually sounds a great deal like Raya's voice actor to me, too.
21. "When Will My Life Begin (Reprise 2)"
22. "Surface Pressure"
23. "Mother Knows Best (Reprise)" ~ The whole "THIS" / "it" vague references to the tiara weaken what's otherwise a great song; I prefer songs to be fully intelligible without the film, too. Anyway, I still dream about a roles reversed reprise of the song in the finale the moment Rapunzel realizes who she is--at the moment when she says, "Did I mumble, mother? Or should I even call you that?" Where she acknowledges that Gothel's motherly pretensions to want to protect here were only ever what was "best" for Gothel.
24. "How Far I'll Go"
25. "Shiny"
26. "All Is Found" (Kacey Musgraves version) ~ Like with "How Far I'll Go," I really only ever listen to the End Credits version. Not that the in-film versions are bad per se, they just lack a little oomph in comparison, hard to explain.
27. "Return" / "Running on Raindrops" (score)
28. "When Will My Life Begin"
29. "Storming Fang" (score) ~ It lifts the epic / apocalyptic feel of the scene so well.
30. "Kingdom Dance" (score)
31. "Into the Unknown" (Panic! At the Disco) ~ Something about the production, or whatever it is (the instrumentation?), dulls the vocal actually. His voice sounds more pure on every other song I've heard by him than this one, which is almost muddled in a way.
32. "Something That I Want"
33. "Dos Oruguitas"
34. "Healing Incantation"
35. "A Big Strong Man in Need of Rescuing" (score)
36. "I See the Light"
37. "The Next Right Thing"
38. "Dig a Little Deeper"
39. "In This Place Called Slaughter Race"
40. "When I'm Human"

I'm a lists person. :lol: "Waiting on a Miracle" would've been #1--I'm not crazy about the vocal, but a few moments and individual lines are emotionally successful in that song ("I'm not fine...I'm not fine." / "I can't take another night up in my room waiting on a miracle." / and then "I AM ready, come on, I'm ready" through to the end) Anyway, I decided to do one for stuff from the off-shoots of Disney (the remakes, PIXAR, the TV series / Broadway offshoots), too. But I kept it separate from the "strictly WDAS films" list above to avoid confusion, although it would be interesting ranking them together:

1. "Evermore" ~ I suppose the Josh Groban version only, but I have a version of the song that I listen to where someone attempted to alter the voice backwards closer to Dan Stevens’ real voice. That’s the thing I most hate is they didn’t have a version of him closer to normal on the soundtrack (I still feel the moment should’ve been one of those where we see and hear Dan Stevens outright since Beast is alone). The song and the scene really struck me. I mean, I had not been hopeful for a song for Beast because I didn’t like his songs in the Broadway show, so I was pretty stunned. And it was the perfect moment for a song for the character--when he’s officially transformed internally by letting Belle go even though he believes she will never return despite what she says. He sacrifices all his hopes of being human and happy in that moment, and he’s both broken that he actually got his hopes up.
2. "Speechless (Full)"
3. "Dangerous to Dream"
4. "Nothing Left to Lose" ~ A male-lead musical from WDAS again with a voice like Jeremy Jordan’s would be amazing.
5. "Crossing the Line" ~ If not for the few messy lyrics Cassandra has as the song builds to a crescendo, I’d probably rank this at #2 after “Evermore.” It is the quintessential moment of the series—the one that got it off the ground outright (the show’s creators selling the show to Disney on this moment). And the opening music and the ending is… Wow, just incredible.
6. "Loyal, Brave, and True" (Christina Aguilera) ~ Love Aguilera, and the lyrics at the end make me tear up ("Will I be stronger or will I be weak when you're not with me? / Who am I without my armor, standing in my father's shoes"). That part really taps into the animated film's emotional core which actually wasn't really the empowerment angle, imo--although it's definitely the second piece of course--but that Mulan loved her father and didn't want him to die. That's why the scene of Mulan watching the shadows of her father and mother, and her resolve at seeing her mother's distress was always the best scene in the animated film to me rather than "Reflection."
7. "Set Yourself Free" ~ So adore this song. This is what I consider Rapunzel's best song (whether film or movie).
8. "When We're Together" ~ As said above, Idina Menzel’s and Kristen Bell’s voices together is just an eargasm for me. It’s a shame the sequel didn't have more than "Some Things Never Change" to give them a moment together. I suppose since both of Idina Menzel's songs have her singing with the voice / her mother, there wasn't really room for it. Oh, well.
9. "More of Me" ~ I love Natasha Bedingfield anyway, and this song is really addictive. It's the same infectiously positive vibe as "Something That I Want"--but even more.
10. "Wind in My Hair"
11. "Remember Me"
12. "True Love"
13. "Waiting in the Wings (Reprise)"
14. "Days in the Sun"
15. "Can You Feel the Love Tonight" (Beyonce / Donald Glover)
16. "Life After Happily Ever After"
17. "How Does a Moment Last Forever" (Celine Dion)
18. "That Time of Year"
19. “Call Me Cruella”
20. “A Whole New World” (Naomi Scott / Mena Massoud)

I know the Aladdin Broadway show came out in the same time period as the above, but, jeez, I would want to include almost every song from that, so I just ignored it for my sanity. :lol:
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"