Olaf Presents

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Re: Olaf Presents

Post by thedisneyspirit »

Farerb wrote:
unprincess wrote:oh yeah Olaf, whatever... Like I stated previously, its more stalling until they figure out what the blazes they are gonna do with the rest of the characters after they sorta kinda wrote themselves into a corner at the end of the 2nd film. Oops.
If they ended it with Frozen II because they don't know how to continue, then I'll be fine with that ending, actually Frozen II has grown on me, I still don't think it's particularly good, but at least it feels different and has more of Elsa and better songs.

However, I don't think that's going to be the case, I don't think Disney will ever give up on another billion dollars film just for the sake of the story. I'm just hoping they realize that unlike Toy Story, Frozen can't rely on the actors for too long because it is a musical and the actors' voices might change, especially Idina's (I guess they could bring in Eden Espinosa to sing for her instead but it's not really the same).
Who is Eden Espinosa? I hope Disney is not thinking about replacing Elsa's VA because they did that in France and there was a lot of controversy over that.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

thedisneyspirit wrote:Who is Eden Espinosa? I hope Disney is not thinking about replacing Elsa's VA because they did that in France and there was a lot of controversy over that.
She's an actress and a singer, she was Idina's replacement on Wicked and she voiced Cassandra in Tangled the Series. Here are some of her best songs:
https://youtu.be/87HAEkf_Li0

https://youtu.be/iaHBg8E1o00

https://youtu.be/hkZEpNsw6zA
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

Farerb wrote:
thedisneyspirit wrote:Who is Eden Espinosa? I hope Disney is not thinking about replacing Elsa's VA because they did that in France and there was a lot of controversy over that.
She's an actress and a singer, she was Idina's replacement on Wicked and she voiced Cassandra in Tangled the Series. Here are some of her best songs:
https://youtu.be/87HAEkf_Li0

https://youtu.be/iaHBg8E1o00

https://youtu.be/hkZEpNsw6zA
Thank you for sharing this!!

I cannot believe anyone would think they can replace the great Idina Menzel. What's funny is that as a huge fan of Tangled, I have seen the show (even if I did not like it much cuz it was obvs to anyone that Flynn shoulda been the lead when the female fanbase thirsts over him) but never realized how the singer was.

Pray that Disney never replaces Idina Menzel who is an icon. They can getta ridda Kristen Bell instead cuz no one would cry if Anna was pulled outta the franchise. All the Frozen stans I follow are hoping Frozen 3 is about Elsa's adventures WITHOUT that clingy nutjob thinking Elsa is gonna die every second she isnt under her supervision. rotfl
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Farerb wrote:
unprincess wrote:If they ended it with Frozen II because they don't know how to continue, then I'll be fine with that ending, actually Frozen II has grown on me, I still don't think it's particularly good, but at least it feels different and has more of Elsa and better songs.
Really? You know, I feel Frozen had three great songs: "For the First Time in Forever", "Let it Go", and "In Summer". I feel Frozen II also had three great songs: "Into the Unknown", "Lost in the Woods", and "Show Yourself". So I consider the films rated by their songs almost a tie. I just think Frozen's three best songs are the better ones.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Disney Duster wrote:Really? You know, I feel Frozen had three great songs: "For the First Time in Forever", "Let it Go", and "In Summer". I feel Frozen II also had three great songs: "Into the Unknown", "Lost in the Woods", and "Show Yourself". So I consider the films rated by their songs almost a tie. I just think Frozen's three best songs are the better ones.
I think Let it Go is great even though it's more of a pop ballad than something from a Disney musical, the other songs from the original film are serviceable but I don't really enjoy their annoying quirkiness, I especially despise Fixer Upper and I don't even consider Reindeers a song. the second film had something more somber to it I guess. I don't like In Summer, but I also don't like When I'm Older (I definitely didn't need Josh Gad shouting in my ear), actually my favorite Olaf song is That Time of Year from Olaf's Frozen Adventure, I enjoy most of the songs in that one.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Ok, so maybe you find Frozen II'a songs more somber and Disney musical-style and not quirky. I get why you like them more, now. I'm glad we both hate "When I'm Older" lol.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I think somebody's been eagerly hoping for Idina Menzel's voice to go to shreds... I think there are people who've been hoping for that for years, which is pretty sad. But they'll have to keep waiting, because her voice is still beautiful as ever going by Frozen II and Cinderella. :dance:
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Farerb wrote:I'm glad that Beauty and the Beast was spared.
I'm sure there's going to be a season 2 with Beauty and the Beast and others. They're not going to give up on this concept after only five shorts. It's popular and cheap to produce.
Farerb wrote:It feels cheap and commercialized, which is weird because in the last decade Disney was really protective of their brand after the damage done by the cheapquels, now with Disney+ it seems they are on the same path they used to be. History repeating itself.
No, it's even worse now. At least before, other divisions of the company were doing the selling out and WDAS got to keep their hands clean.
Farerb wrote:I don't think he has the chops to do a dramatic role like Quasimodo's.
He's not my ideal choice either, but at least he can sing. And if his name and star power means the remake actually gets made, which seems unlikely at this point, then I'm all for it.
unprincess wrote:Like I stated previously, its more stalling until they figure out what the blazes they are gonna do with the rest of the characters after they sorta kinda wrote themselves into a corner at the end of the 2nd film. Oops.
I don't think that's the reason. They have no issue coming up with new stories for storybooks and comics set after Frozen 2. I don't see why they can't make some shorts about Anna's new life at the palace or something.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Sotiris wrote: No, it's even worse now. At least before, other divisions of the company were doing the selling out and WDAS got to keep their hands clean.
Is there really that much difference? To me, WDAS hasn't really been WDAS for years; the PIXAR takeover happened over a decade now. Having those people making the offshoots to old movies isn't any different from DisneyToon Studios in my eyes, they just have a bigger budget.

Tbh, Josh Gad is the main thing I'm looking forward to the Hunchback remake for aside from the soundtrack. But I was never really a fan of that film aside from the music and Tony Jay as Frollo.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

thedisneyspirit wrote:
unprincess wrote:I agree making fun of fictional characters is mean. Hans a psycho? that's just uncalled for! :P
Hello. :wave: I think Hans is such a cutie!! I wish I could meet a guy like him in real life and I think it's so tragic that he was just turned into a villain for no reason. More proof that Disney villainizes anyone who is physically beautiful now but I am still #TeamHans

I think he's really good looking but I also like him b/c I think a typical Disney fairy tale prince as a villain is an interesting concept. I would like a redemption if its written well b/c I think it would make for a good compelling story.
I wouldn't want to meet someone like him in real life though. Id rather stay alive.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Josh Gad talks about Olaf Presents in the latest episode of D23's Inside Disney podcast. He describes the shorts as "a spin-off or an homage to the moment in Frozen II where Olaf recaps the first Frozen for the Northuldra". He also explains how the idea for the project originated. According to him, during the lockdown he started getting a lot of people writing him if Olaf could recap other movies. At first, he laughed it off, but one day he reached out to Jennifer Lee and asked her what she thought of it. She said she would think about it. Some time later, she wrote him saying she thought they had an idea and teamed him up with animator Hyrum Osmond to work on the project.

Here are also some reactions from critics who have seen the shorts:
These are absolutely wonderful — creative, irreverent (but still respectful), and so expressively animated. Whatever you think it’ll be … it’s better.
Source: https://twitter.com/DrewTailored/status ... 9875955714
Olaf Presents captures the magic of timeless Disney classics, as Olaf takes viewers down memory lane. Check it out on Disney Plus later this month!
Source: https://twitter.com/The_Illuminerdi/sta ... 1646115842
I loved the concept of Olaf Presents! The animated shorts were cute, fun, & enjoyable to watch. Josh Gad is wonderful as always & continues to make me adore the character. Get ready for Olaf’s retelling of all your Disney favorites, November 12 on Disney Plus!
Source: https://twitter.com/srsoto26/status/1455596224535465994
You guys! Josh Gad got my teen to belly laugh with the Olaf Presents shorts! He brings the smolder from Tangled, the wrath from Moana, and the pouty teen from The Little Mermaid. We were rolling watching these Olaf retellings!
Source: https://twitter.com/JaMonkey/status/1455576730735886343
Olaf Presents is a hilarious retelling of 5 of the best Disney animated movies ever. Josh Gad shares the versions of Tangled, The Lion King, and Moana we didn't even know we needed!
Source: https://twitter.com/whiskynsunshine/sta ... 0780061712
Olaf Presents is a hilarious & super fun look at some of the BEST Disney movies ever like Tangled & The Lion King. Josh Gad nailed it! And Olaf's smolder :lol: :lol:

Definitely will want to watch these more than once! Hoping for a season 2!!
Source: https://twitter.com/ThatAshleyErin/stat ... 7151057935
The Olaf Presents shorts coming to Disney+ are a lot of fun. If you loved that scene in Frozen II you'll love them. Quick and easy, they don't overstay their welcome and they have a few truly hilarious moments.
Source: https://twitter.com/childe_dirk/status/ ... 2670517252
Olaf Presents is a great collection of 5 shorts retelling classics like Moana Aladdin Tangled etc Lots of laughs, good fun, but only 90 secs each. Very funny. Repeat viewing recommended. Kids will love um. Snowball is a highlight!
Source: https://twitter.com/disneyplusnews/stat ... 3003794432
Olaf Presents is basically that scene in Frozen 2 where he reenacts the events of Frozen, but for a bunch of other Disney movies. They are all less than 2 minutes each. Each of them are silly, over the top, and flat out ridiculous -- Tangled is the best one!
Source: https://twitter.com/MamasGeeky/status/1 ... 5521767425
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I'm curious to see them :)
Farerb wrote:Image
I love this little guy. He imitates Ariel's pose so well :lol: :lol: :lol:
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Clip from the The Lion King short: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiT6aYgySgA
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I love this guy :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

These were alright. Marshmallow was the highlight of the series (his biggest role was as the Cave of Wonders). I snort-laughed at Olaf pushing up on the rock a la Ariel. "I've been impaled" was funny. Olaf as Hei Hei was funny. Lol @ Snowgie stampede during TLK. During Tangled , Olaf said the story is about "A close personal friend of mine," which was a nice nod to Punzie's/Flynn's Frozen cameos.
Disney's Divinity

Oh, man, I would like to see the Marshmallow as CoW and snowgie stampede. That sounds hilarious.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I found Olaf hilarious in these shorts. I had to rewind several times because I was still laughing at a joke and couldn't get the next one. I understand why some people may have a problem with the shorts, since I had problems with similar things, like for instance, the wrecked princesses. But personally, I didn't find them offensive. Maybe it's because I love Olaf, but to me it felt more like Disney laughing at themselves than mocking their past films, as I felt Ralph Breaks the Internet did at times.
blackcauldron85 wrote:Marshmallow was the highlight of the series (his biggest role was as the Cave of Wonders).
I was surprised too at how funny he was. And, yes, the Cave of Wonders was his best role.
blackcauldron85 wrote:During Tangled , Olaf said the story is about "A close personal friend of mine," which was a nice nod to Punzie's/Flynn's Frozen cameos.
Oh, so that's what it was. I was wondering why he said that.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Except Moana (which was never a favorite of mine), I thought all the other shorts were hilarious.

In The Little Mermaid, I thought that him wearing the seashell bra, and having those false eyelashes was super funny. Same thing for Ursula's hair and Triton's beard. In The Lion King, I laughed 'till I cried when he re-enacted the stampede, and when he presented Sven as Scar. In Aladdin, him as the Genie was super funny, and the snow monster as the Cave of Wonders made me lol. In Tangled, the way he used a rope as Rapunzel's hair was adorable.