DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 2:43 pm 
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Quote:
Production has begun on Disney Junior's "Alice's Wonderland Bakery," a fantastical animated series for preschoolers and their families inspired by the beloved world of "Alice in Wonderland." Slated to debut in 2022, the series centers on Alice, the great-granddaughter of the original heroine and a budding young baker at the enchanted Wonderland Bakery, where treats bring a new generation of characters together. The announcement was made today by Joe D'Ambrosia, senior vice president, Original Programming, and general manager, Disney Junior.

"The magic and mischief of 'Alice in Wonderland' has been treasured by millions for over a century, and we are delighted to introduce this version of a young Alice and her charming friends to a whole new generation," D'Ambrosia said. "Inspired by the sense of connection that food brings about - and recipes filled with enchantment and heart - the series will showcase whimsical stories with relatable themes for our Disney Junior audience."

Geared to kids ages 2-7 and their families, each episode will feature two 11-minute stories about Alice's recipe adventures with her best pals - Fergie, a white rabbit; Hattie, her madcap friend; and Rosa, the Princess of Hearts. The series will celebrate the culture and creativity of food, highlight self-expression and impart age-appropriate social and emotional lessons about friendship, collaboration and community.

Emmy nominee Chelsea Beyl (Peabody Award-winning "Doc McStuffins") serves as executive producer. Frank Montagna ("Elena of Avalor") is co-executive producer and art director, and Emmy-nominated Nathan Chew ("Elena of Avalor") is supervising director. Emmy winner John Kavanaugh ("Sofia the First") is the songwriter/music director, and Matthew Margeson ("Rocketman") serves as composer. The series is a production of Disney Television Animation.
Source: https://www.dgepress.com/disneyjunior/p ... t-in-2022/

Source: https://www.dgepress.com/disneyjunior/s ... nd-bakery/

Source: https://d23.com/sweet-news-from-disney- ... t-in-2022/

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 8:07 pm 

Interesting. I'm sure it'll be cute and something nice for the DisneyJunior crowd. My first thought as I was glancing over the details though is that they stole Tiana's thing!

Kingdom Hearts III ~ "Frozen Wonderland"
Kingdom Hearts III ~ "Miracle on Ice"

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 12:06 am 

Justin Rodrigues wrote:
Man, looking through some old Alice's Wonderland Bakery stuff and really missing my short stint as a character designer in development. I think that was my biggest jump in artistic growth since I was just starting out. Working under Shane Prigmore, Marcelo Vignali, Drake Brodahl and all the other amazing artists in the Dev Department while having to switch styles and subject matter almost daily really pushed me out of my comfort zone.
Source: https://twitter.com/Jtown67/status/1392539472382754817

Justin Rodrigues wrote:
I worked on this a bit while I was in development. It's gonna be pretty dang cute! Speaking of, here are couple of VERY early Alice drawings.
Source: https://twitter.com/Jtown67/status/1392536409911685120

Source: https://twitter.com/Jtown67/status/1392536409911685120

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 11:48 am 
Signature Collection

I'm sure this will be cute and all for the intended audience, but just feels so lazy to have her look identical to the original, and even called the same name ? Why not just base it on her in the first place ?

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:14 pm 
Collector's Edition

I was thinking the same thing. You'd think with how popular Alice is with teens and older fans that they'd make a new series based on the original characters that are so iconic(to the point that their merch sells and is really popular!)
Im even surprised they never made a series based on the live action film, as flawed as that film was it was immensely popular and would have been a good excuse for them to make an Alice show with quirkier more stylized character designs.

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 2:24 am 
Special Edition

I agree with above comments. This will be cute enough but why not use Tiana or an all new character? Making food isn’t Alice’s thing and food doesn’t exactly define Wonderland either :shrug:

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 3:22 am 
Diamond Edition

Rose Dome wrote:
I agree with above comments. This will be cute enough but why not use Tiana or an all new character? Making food isn’t Alice’s thing and food doesn’t exactly define Wonderland either :shrug:

I wondered that, too. But then I remembered all the little pastries and vials that say “Eat Me/Drink Me” and shrink or grow Alice. I wonder if the food this new character makes will have similar magical properties?

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 12:19 pm 
Special Edition

Kinda weird that they gave her the exact same name as the original Alice if she's not even supposed to be the same character. Why not give her a similar sounding name if they still wanted it to look familiar (Alyssa is Wonderland perhaps?) Also, I agree with others here that it's curious that they decided to create a baking show set in Wonderland, since cooking was never an essential part of the original movie.

Anyway, it's not like I'm the target demographic, so as long as it appeals to the younger children it's all fine :)

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 11:01 pm 
Special Edition

UmbrellaFish wrote:
I wondered that, too. But then I remembered all the little pastries and vials that say “Eat Me/Drink Me” and shrink or grow Alice. I wonder if the food this new character makes will have similar magical properties?

With those pastries not being made by Alice I didn’t count them but you’re right about food having a presence in Wonderland :drool: