Tron Audio Weirdness

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Spottedfeather
Gold Classic Collection

Tron Audio Weirdness

Post by Spottedfeather »

I haven't been able to find an answer for this. While watching TRON, which has a DTS 5.1 audio track, it doesn't sound right. While listening to it in DTS mode, some voices can almost not be heard, while there are certain sound effects that are missing. For instance, in the beginning of the movie when the bank program gets put in the cell, the guy in the cell next to him says hello...but in DTS mode, you can only really hear him if you put your ear against the speaker.

But if I put the movie in All Channel Surround, you can hear him a lot better. It's the same with the first scene where Sark is stepping onto the platform to speak to MCP. There are beams of light that surround him. In DTS mode, the beams make no noise. But if you watch it in All Channel Surround, you can hear that each time one of the beams appears, there is a sort of pinging sound.

More of a minor annoyance, really. I know that originally, Tron had a Dolby Stereo track for the 35mm showings and 6 track sound for the 70mm showings. The blu-ray has a DTS HD master audio 5.1 mix. It's the strangest mix I've ever heard. I don't know why there are some sounds and voices that are audible in all channel stereo but not in the "proper" DTS surround mode.

Any ideas ?
Think about this. Once bread becomes toast, you can't make it back into bread.